PDA

View Full Version : One down in PNG today - C402C, VH-TSI

Mumbai Merlin
27th Jul 2020, 06:30
Reports filtering through suggest a C402C, registered VH-TSI has crashed in Central Province, Port Moresby, on Sunday 27th July
The registration is current on the Australian register with a Port Moresby owner.

Various reports suggest illegal flight and drug residue being located. The aircraft owner is a well known Port Moresby business man.

Kagamuga
27th Jul 2020, 07:30
NOTAM just issued - ELB radiating from crash site.

Seaeagle109
27th Jul 2020, 08:00
Here’s a link from the Post Courier in POM

https://postcourier.com.pg/plane-crashes-near-papa-lealea-in-port-moresby/

Kagamuga
27th Jul 2020, 09:23
Anyone know where Fred Martens is these day?

Mumbai Merlin
27th Jul 2020, 09:47
I think it is rather interesting that an aircraft can be flying around inside the Port Moresby Control Zone pretty much on the approach path to runway 14, and go un-noticed.
Regardless of Transponder and/or ADSB (if fitted) being turned off, would there not be a primary paint.

It's about time CASA PNG just told operators if you want to fly in PNG you must have ADSB and serviceable and switched ON at all times. Probably would enhance safety.

Squawk7700
27th Jul 2020, 10:30
NOTAM just issued - ELB radiating from crash site.

There’s one for old mate LeadSled.

Look Mum - no hands
27th Jul 2020, 10:35
Flight Radar 24 shows TSI departing Mareeba northbound around 0930 local Sunday morning. Apparently still had some life in the transponder at that stage!

Seaeagle109
27th Jul 2020, 18:34
Here’s another article from the Post Courier.

https://postcourier.com.pg/burnt-remains-of-plane-found/

Magnetomick
27th Jul 2020, 21:08
https://emtv.com.pg/plane-crash-under-investigation/?fbclid=IwAR1XRjIFhfEcd7_F47wRlArpGd8dEIcrJWQAbDsplCfm2sgjqX ObUQXQB6U

beached az
27th Jul 2020, 23:52
Out of curiosity, who operates TSI these days?

She used to be based in TSV with Inland Pacific back in the day.
Not a bad balus by all accounts. Sad to see how she's ended up.

BAz

ParkinsonAir
28th Jul 2020, 01:49
AVLEASE Pty Ltd is listed as operator. PO Box at Alice Springs. Anyone know who runs AVLEASE?

Squawk7700
28th Jul 2020, 02:24
Beached ... Look at the CASA register !

A picture of the the person believed to be the pilot is posted on Facebook. with the comment that he has been smuggling gold, gemstones, and weapons for years ????

Comments on Facebook are about as believable as comments on YouTube videos.

Petropavlovsk
28th Jul 2020, 04:18
Australian Federal Police are at the scene of the abandoned aircraft.
The Aussie High Commission advises the pilot is an Australian.

Duck Pilot
28th Jul 2020, 09:22
Bit more here https://news.pngfacts.com/2020/07/png-authorities-yet-to-located-pilot-of.html?m=1

There is also a post on Facebook with an aerial photo of where the 402 ended up. Thought **** like this only happened in South America!

The story on this will be an interesting read and go down in the history books in a few years.

Alice Kiwican
28th Jul 2020, 09:57
[QUOTE=beached az;10847760]Out of curiosity, who operates TSI these days?

TSI was a pretty good bus when Hinterland operated her out of Cairns around 10 years ago. A shame to see how she’s ended up.

ParkinsonAir
28th Jul 2020, 12:48
Good Intel. So Maraba took over from Geoffrey Bull when he died/ was killed last year by the sound of that. Avlease definitely a smokescreen.The paperwork only starts January this year.

ParkinsonAir
28th Jul 2020, 12:57
spelled MARAGA

Maisk Rotum
28th Jul 2020, 13:33
TBL Warrier, that Google Maps image is that the actual airfield? Looks like it could be an old WW2 strip but a Google search doesn't come up with anything. I remember a strip north west of POM, I think it was Rorona Rogers, that had some Airacobras parked on the side but largely intact from the air, that we would fly over back in the 80s but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one

tail wheel
28th Jul 2020, 22:06
Maisk Rotum. You may be thinking of Rogers Strip in Galley Reach? That strip is not Rogers.

I don't recall a strip being in that position and looking at the Facebook photos, it appears to be graded quite recently so may be a recent construction? Looks long enough for a C402, wonder what happened, U/C collapse?

Magnetomick
28th Jul 2020, 23:20
Bit more here https://news.pngfacts.com/2020/07/png-authorities-yet-to-located-pilot-of.html?m=1

There is also a post on Facebook with an aerial photo of where the 402 ended up. Thought **** like this only happened in South America!

The story on this will be an interesting read and go down in the history books in a few years.

It was 42 1/2 years ago years since the Aero Commander N1935W
from Asia was intercepted by pure bad luck by a RAAF C130 near Katherine NT.

Google Life and times of Donald Tait.
Some good pics in there too... look at the livery on the fuselage

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1978CANBER00672_d.html

MakeItHappenCaptain
29th Jul 2020, 02:02
Which is the referred to Facebook page?

Mumbai Merlin
29th Jul 2020, 03:59
Papua New Guinea Prime Minister has ordered Australian and PNG police to investigate....

https://postcourier.com.pg/pm-orders-aust-png-police-to-probe-crash-landing/

ParkinsonAir
29th Jul 2020, 04:07
AFP didn't need the PM to be investigating of course! Lot of bluster happening right now. Real story yet to emerge

CaptainInsaneO
29th Jul 2020, 10:29
For all you who reckon that was a nice plane...who the hell bent the rear door? The thing couldn't close properly and always had a inch gap in it - completely serviceable of course. Used to freak the punters out sitting next to it. Many won't miss that thing.

Duck Pilot
29th Jul 2020, 10:56
40 + year old 402, it would have already been crashed, overload many times, crash landed by incompetent pilots, thousands of over weight pax on it and all the rest of it and you don’t expect the door to be straight.....

Capt Fathom
29th Jul 2020, 11:14
Duck Pilot. None of the 402’s I’ve flown fall into that category!

ParkinsonAir
29th Jul 2020, 11:17
AVLEASE PTY LTD in Alice Springs is not a 'smokescreen" in the usual sense.

But it was misused by shady characters.

AVLEASE owner/director also runs NORTHERN TERRITORY AIR SERVICES . Legit business.

AVLEASE boss Ian Scheyer said today he had been approached to do an airworthy when VH-TSI changed hands two years ago.

That never happened.VHS-TSI was flown to Mareeba and sat on the ground for a couple of years without paperwork.

Shouldn't have been flying.

On the PNG end, RACENSPOL no 69 was run by GEOFFREY BULL until last year when he allegedly was murdered by his business partner.

This person is of Chinese-Central province mix. Anyone know his name?

(Bull by the way a dreadful crook with very shady past, despite being president of political party founded by former Prime Minister Wingti)

Duck Pilot
29th Jul 2020, 11:55
What the hell has a bend door got to do with a drug runner running illegal **** into PNG!!!

Moving along, rumours are that a few PNG business people and a couple PNG politicians may be associated with this incident, based on some of the stuff floating around on other social media forums. Google is your friend!

Mumbai Merlin
29th Jul 2020, 12:23
Guns and ammunition are currency in PNG,

I believe the aircraft owners business partner "accidently" died in a hail of bullets, some 30 rounds or so. Mr Bull was connected to the National Party. The other limiting factor is Avgas. So Mareeba to another part of Northern Australia and refuel from a drum or two or three and fill up or take it with you and land on a remote strip. All the plastic jerry cans pictured at the accident site would suggest fairly good flight planning.. You then have a considerable radius of action. If the aircraft refuelled at Mareeba then its a key lock bowser unless from drums on a trailer.

The aircraft owner is the key to the whole story. What are the odds of a person stealing an Australian registered aircraft owned by a PNG national company and having it crash on your door step??

******** One thing is for certain, the AFP will be watching this thread closely, ********

Mumbai Merlin
29th Jul 2020, 12:36
This photo
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/899x1599/img_20200728_wa0001_47260c63195e9690f4d9424438a7b39d2b2d1747 .jpg
has appeared on Facebook, social media platform, make of it what you will.....

Noeyedear
29th Jul 2020, 14:49
Sounds like a similar plot to the Aerostar that mysteriously exploded at Tamworth back in August 1989. Fitted with long range fuel tanks and ahead of its time with a LRN system, it was rumoured to disappear in the dark of night to remote areas in the North of Australia.

The family of the owner were in court 2 years later on charges related to a $5million drug ring. They were acquitted. The Father retired from Cathay and claimed they had money because he brought a suitcase containing $1.25 million in cash back to Australia when he retired.

I guess he was an ‘A’ scaler ;)

Squawk7700
29th Jul 2020, 22:07
******** One thing is for certain, the AFP will be watching this thread closely, ********

Lol, coz the AFP get all their intel from pprune threads!

Kagamuga
29th Jul 2020, 22:15
TBL,

Well done, great pic!

BigMike
29th Jul 2020, 23:46
https://www.thenational.com.pg/pilot-found-charged/

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x426/planecrash_271552b2582e0ee4cefbac623e02b8431f550dfb.jpg

Flaming galah
30th Jul 2020, 00:02
Cutmore was imprisoned in NZ for smuggling parrots by light plane from RCL to MTA in 1993. The (alleged) career progression to higher value contraband shows initiative?

Petropavlovsk
30th Jul 2020, 00:30
Slightly off topic, but the northern borders are still wide open.
Reminds me of a case back in the early '80's, a young pilot from Melbourne travelled to Cairns, hired a Piper Arrow from the Nth Queensland Aero Club, and flew to Horn Island, refuelled then popped accross to Daru to pick up some mates of his who were UK citizens not wanting to leave Aus. They left Aus flew to Port Moresby then to Daru. Waited for the Arrow to arrive to smuggle them back into Aus.
All came unstuck when Customs or Police were holding a training session that day at Daru....
Nth Qld Aero Club had to fly to PNG to retrieve their aircraft.
The same pilot was later accused but not charged with flying under West Gate bridge in Melbourne.

Mumbai Merlin
30th Jul 2020, 02:24
An "official" leak from POM this morning suggest the Australian Federal Police knew about the whole deal from start to finish. Monitoring the whole process.
It's all about the "connections"

Section28- BE
30th Jul 2020, 10:09
ABC link here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/aussie-pilot-detained-in-png-over-mystery-plane-crash/12508584

rgds
S28- BE

mokyme
30th Jul 2020, 10:13
No reflection on the people of that nation but PNG is still living in the stone age in some respects.

How could someone grade an old wartime strip less than 20 km from Port Moresby and not be noticed?

So this guy flies under the RADAR (literally) with his transponder turned off and no-ones the wiser except he crashed and burned,

I have a mate that flies for Air Nuigini, I'll try to get the real rumors on this story.

Daz

lucille
30th Jul 2020, 14:06
So, with no refueling facilities, I guess it’s safe to assume that this was an inbound freight flight.?

Assuming that being the case, one wonders what was on board the aircraft. I doubt it was drugs because the customer base in Oz has a far far higher disposable income.

Only thing of universal value I know of in PNG are guns. What’s a feasibly overloaded 402 carry? 1000 kg? On a $$/kg basis, guns and ammo are relatively low value and high risk in Oz.

This “adventure” makes no sense. It will be interesting to learn the real reason for the flight.

tail wheel
30th Jul 2020, 21:51
“Neil Brooker - Lake Murray special”.

Heavens, that was at least 40 years ago? I don't think that was at Lake Murray, maybe Suki?

Note the Port prop on that C402C - appears to me that engine was not operating at the time of the prang - EFATO?

lucille
30th Jul 2020, 22:13
Heavens, that was at least 40 years ago? I don't think that was at Lake Murray, maybe Suki?

Note the Port prop on that C402C - appears to me that engine was not operating at the time of the prang - EFATO?

Neil will be pleased to see is name up in lights. And yes, lake Murray as I recall.

maybegunnadoo
30th Jul 2020, 23:46
[QUOTE=beached az;10847760]Out of curiosity, who operates TSI these days?

TSI was a pretty good bus when Hinterland operated her out of Cairns around 10 years ago. A shame to see how she’s ended up.

I first came across TSI in Kununurra in 1996 when owned by Skywest Aviation. She had a Robinson STOL kit fitted with adjustable C of G, upgraded brakes and 4 stages of flaps. She was HORRIBLE. We all hated flying her. Best memories was over the top in the Otter waiting for John ? to land in TSI. Heard an “oh ****” over the radio. ( this is memories here so give. me some latitude if I’m not technically 100%) After landing it expired that the flap cable tensions were all wrong, one of cables either snapped or a pulley pulled out. Either way he ended up with 40 flap on the right and SFA on the left, short finals at night. He did a great job and got it in. Poor bugger was fairly white from memory. His reward was having his name put on the CARTON-PENALTY-LIST for Friday night beer for nearly getting killed.

TSI followed me to Darwin after that. We had 2 C402 and they only needed one, so they asked me to write a report on which one should go. Needless to say we did not keep TSI.

I was always surprised at how badly that STOL kit screwed up a good aircraft. It didn’t add much TKOF/ LDG benefit and the brakes were absolutely awful. Leather pads on a wagon would have been better..

RIP.

DeRated
31st Jul 2020, 02:55
25th March 1983

I was the second SAR to arrive at Lake Murray after a twotter from Tabubil.

ELCOM had just installed power lines near the western threshold which effectively restricted the strip to one way. As a sequence of electricity being supplied to Lake Murray a portable generator was being freighted out. This was loaded into the front of the 402 (P2-GKA) instead of the cabin.

Mumbai Merlin
31st Jul 2020, 03:23
https://postcourier.com.pg/investigation-of-plane-starts/

Reports of high level police involvement
Reports of political party involvement
Airstrip was cleared and made operational by Australia for APEC 2018 drone operations
$500 mill USD or K1.5 billion involved

Cast of thousands !!!

Kagamuga
31st Jul 2020, 03:27
All roberies in PNG are generally termed "inside job"

Zcars
31st Jul 2020, 03:44
Where is JW and Citation when you need him!
keeping a low profile. L9l

Duck Pilot
31st Jul 2020, 08:51
Probably enough evidence for CASA Australia to throw the rule book at him as well, that’s if he ever returns to Australia.

I would also imagine that he will face some pretty serious charges in PNG with regards to the alleged cargo on board, should get a few years in Bomana if the PNG justice system can get their case together. In some other countries he would be on death row for this behaviour.

What’s the aviation background of the pilot? It would appear that he has some reasonable experience considering the circumstances.

Duck Pilot
31st Jul 2020, 09:50
Check your PM MM.

Mumbai Merlin
31st Jul 2020, 11:10
Duck, check your PM

The Wawa Zone
31st Jul 2020, 16:36
Google Earth shows no strip in 2015 and a 700m strip in 2017, ie someone would have noticed this. The 2017 image shows plenty of wheel marks and the current media pic shows it's been lengthened to 950m - exciting for a full 402C on a hot day.
Definitely a poorly planned little operation, even the aircraft was not destroyed.

Mumbai Merlin
31st Jul 2020, 22:09
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/899x1599/img_20200731_wa0007_88f7d0e8fdbc068a78345108637e224e091cecb6 .jpg

Paul O'Rourke
31st Jul 2020, 23:23
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1560x2000/086c643d_3567_4b98_8d12_0c8131c46bf0_7cadc403161d45a4b0c82d6 1c3b6adc0fa6bf3c6.jpeg

Liklik balus
1st Aug 2020, 00:03
Olsem wanem wanpela C420C??????????????????????

mauswara
1st Aug 2020, 00:37
Netflix deal already signed.Tom Hanks to play the pilot!( He has "movie" flying experience already)

brokenagain
1st Aug 2020, 00:54
Crazy story. Good work to the coppers, looks like this was under surveillance from the start. It also explains the early photos showing AFP at the crash site.

The Wawa Zone
1st Aug 2020, 01:59
Media is reporting this morning that $80m worth of coke has also turned up in FNQ, and is apparently related to the load seized in PNG. Two flights back to back or two aircraft ? The former would be more in keeping with the half arsed nature of this cunning plan.

Late news from PNG: " Port Mosby Police have announced that all three plastic wrapped boxes of drugs seized yesterday will be destroyed by burning on Monday afternoon." ;) ;) :ok:

1st Aug 2020, 02:32
I would also imagine that he will face some pretty serious charges in PNG with regards to the alleged cargo on board,
Is a pilot responsible for what is in the cargo onboard an aircraft?
"But Sir, I was hired only to ferry the aeroplane"

How may time have you been asked to ferry an aircraft that you did not know from A to B.

Section28- BE
1st Aug 2020, 05:27
01/08/2020- ex ABC news: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-01/afp-arrests-png-police-seize-500kg-cocaine-australia-bound/12515158

rgds
S28- BE

PoppaJo
1st Aug 2020, 06:57
I was trying to work out how they can unload such volume at the Mareeba parking area without anyone seeing a thing. It’s not exactly the most private hidden area. I assume they picked Sunday as MAF is closed so the eastern side of the airport is fairly dead aside the NQAC which is hiding around the corner.

Bizarre Behaviour on the flight line would stand out like dog balls to the two local CFIs at Mareeba, who know the region and it’s traffic inside out, and who is who. When it’s been sitting in the mud for a good portion of time it’s going to get many eyeballs when it’s up moving around again.

mickjoebill
1st Aug 2020, 07:43
ABC reporting over 500kg of cocaine.

According to various google searches, conservatively, 1gram has a street value of $500 in Australia, one of the highest prices in the world.

On these figures, the cargo had a value of a quarter of a billion dollars!

Given the pressures of the current lockdown, this amount of recreational drug would have caused misery and havoc.

mjb

machtuk
1st Aug 2020, 09:46
I'd hate to image how much of this junk actually gets thru! They got caught, this time!

Squawk7700
1st Aug 2020, 10:02
Do they grow Cocoa plants in PNG?

Assuming it came from there and not imported from South America

SCPL_1988
1st Aug 2020, 19:48
There ya go

I’d put a slab it’s the old Lealea strip
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x718/6bc237be_255c_4924_b59b_47043a771aae_a74a9071d991a0f2216323a f6868971a43528a09.jpeg
Thanks, Amazing pic. I found it on google about 30 miles from PM.
The current google map shows about 2600 feet too short for a fully loaded 402 on a rough field
with scrub at one end. The news pic does not show any increase in field length from the google pic
on the crash end. It appears this pilot was dumber than dumb when it came to reading take off charts
which might end up being a defence, that he deliberately crashed it in order to get caught.
Either way, it appears Australia knew all about this operation long before it happened.

I'm guessing the AFP called him on his mobile and told him to turn himself in.
Speaking of dumb, Mareeba has many eyes watching for anything unusual
and odds are the AFP phone lines were ringing like crazy each time VH-TSI did anything.

Then you have the primary and secondary radar facilities, that TSI would have triggered 3 in Australia
and at least 2 in PNG and thats just the obvious tracking info from ground based primary radar.

It appears that the pilot had his transponder on which makes you wonder about the claim
he kept it at 3000 feet to avoid radar. At 3000 feet, this pilot would have been visible for
most of his flight in Aus and PNG.

The Australian reported "David John Cutmore, 52, a former flying instructor in Townsville and Melbourne"
AFP Link https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSBrisbane/videos/vb.130736376939223/322119705583925/?type=2&theater
"operations Withers?"
"to collect MORE THAN 500 KG" of Cocaine." "worth more than AUD $80 million.
"Criminal Syndicate from Victoria"
"over two years of investigation"

Sunfish
1st Aug 2020, 22:48
Sounds like the AFP were onto this mob from the beginning. The pilot will be very lucky if he is simply deported. I imagine he has some explaining to do back here.

I’ve heard the occasional rumour of this sort of behaviour at least as early as 1970. Guns going north and drugs coming South.

lucille
1st Aug 2020, 23:11
So, it looks like an export operation from PNG. I guess with Covid19 the drug runners usual logistics operations are hamstrung.

What’s the flight time between the strip and Mareeba? Two and half hours at 3000’. Give or take. Can a 402C carry round trip fuel? If not, I was just pondering the difficulty of buying and trucking a couple of 44s from POM.

Could it have been a botched landing rather than a T/O gone awry? Presuming the “keptin” wasn’t all that sharp, carrying all that extra speed on approach may not have helped Mum after all.

Interesting days. Looks like our drug runners are now taking a leaf out of the S.American cartels book of logistics tactics.

Bend alot
1st Aug 2020, 23:26
A few pilots whom know the aircraft have suggested it was unairworthy and had no M/R. A 43 year old C402 has little residual value so burn it on completion!

Any hint on why not airworthy?

Taking a aircraft from an active airfield "stolen" or not, that is known to not be airworthy or have an expired MR will not go unnoticed.

Landing back at the same airfield with a large volume of freight would be foolish. What is nearby for a one time landing in a 402 a bit out of sight?

Kagamuga
1st Aug 2020, 23:36
Lucielle - read all the official stuff - 15 of 20 litre plastic cans found at aircraft

Bend a Lot - its called a remote beach area, with wheels either up or down, and how would a casual person know if the M/R had expired?

SCPL_1988
2nd Aug 2020, 00:20
Thanks Kagamuga, I've not been near Mareeba for a long time.
While he was a former CFI, he probably only had conventional knowledge of SSR and not
the other primary or secondary radar that is not generally known about.

Without going into too much detail, any flight from within say 100 miles of Cairns or TI, would be seen down to a low level.
With a transponder left on, its possible that any aircraft on a similar flight on any other day,
would have been seen all the way.

To suggest that he would not have been seen is to display a level of knowledge as we can assume
this former CFI possessed.

Again, without going into "too much detail", the public information shows that this particular flight was in fact tracked
all the way from prior to starting engines, cruise at 3,000 ft, to landing, its failed take off etc.

Despite this, you can expect more dumber than dumb criminals to try to copycat this idea
and I'll predict a similar result such as having to ditch or make a forced landing due to fuel
starvation etc. No doubt, they will refuse to believe this post and they will be kicking themselves
when they too end up in a PNG cell awaiting extradition to Australia.

SCPL 1988,

Let me bring to your attention.
At 3,000 feet the aircraft would hardly have been on radar at all; Based upon 40 years of PNG Ops I can assure you I know radar range. SSR appears to have been turned off just a few miles north of Mareeba
The pilot a former Chief Flying Instructor has the necessary knowledge on SSR operation.
I believe a lot of the new modern radar is masked to not show or trigger non Mode C, Mode S, ADSB replies
Up until departure TSI had done nothing unusual at Mareeba.
Mareeba has changed a lot is in the last two years. Huge increase activity, MAF has about 10 aircraft parked there, mostly P2 registered. Four engineering shops in the 'terminal area. Extensions to runway ends to accomodate resident Jet aircraft, warbirds, and general safety. The western end now has a huge building programme under way. Very large helicopter shops, other hangars. Google is far from up to date.
Take off charts? give me a break!

Bend alot
2nd Aug 2020, 01:00
Lucielle - read all the official stuff - 15 of 20 litre plastic cans found at aircraft

Bend a Lot - its called a remote beach area, with wheels either up or down, and how would a casual person know if the M/R had expired?

The maintenance place/s and local pilots are all pretty nosy by nature types.

krismiler
2nd Aug 2020, 01:18
Once you get into this sort of scale you can expect serious attention from customs and the AFP. It's worth putting up major surveillance and using informers when you're talking about hundreds of kilos. This guy must be praying to get sent back to Australia, being someone's bitch in a PNG prison for the next ten years wouldn't be pleasant. An engineer from the company which did our maintenance up there did a short spell inside after being caught with a small quantity (personal use) of the local wacky weed, every time his mates went to visit him he was in tears. There are plenty of films and books about westerners who spent time in Thai prisons and the appalling conditions, I would choose a Thai prison over a PNG one every time.

Back in Australia he would probably be facing conspiracy charges and matters relating to his departure. On "Border Security" most of the smugglers caught with around 300 gms of heroin seem to cop a 6-7 year stretch. Even if he gets 10+ an Aussie prison is like a 5* hotel compared to a third world prison.

James4th
2nd Aug 2020, 04:01
Does anyone have a comment on the fire around the port engine? Could it have been on the take off roll and the reason for the abort? Or was it an impact fire? Asking for a friend :)

Squawk7700
2nd Aug 2020, 04:02
There are live weather cameras at Mareeba....

Bend alot
2nd Aug 2020, 04:43
Seems the AFP had their own cameras at Mareeba.

It seems the L/H main gear has relocated itself. The wet wing 402 probably developed a leak at that point, fuel would also flow toward the wing tip (gravity).
Take the fuel cap off the L/H tank on a pretty full aircraft would make a nice water (fuel) fountain, also trying to destroy evidence would be better to open the fuel drains on the other wing & light that too.

Engine fire on take off did cross my mind. Does not seem as much damage to the aircraft that is trying to commit aviation after a 900+m run up at the trees.
A partial power loss (turbo or "popped" induction rubber, mag even) might be reason to abort.

But then how long to unload 500kg with the aircraft on fire?

illusion
2nd Aug 2020, 06:14
Here is a Wikipedia clue.....

Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) is so sensitive it is able to track planes as small as a Cessna 172 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_172) taking off and landing in East Timor 2600 km away.[citation needed (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] Current research is anticipated to increase its sensitivity (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitivity_(electronics)) by a factor of ten beyond this level

James4th
2nd Aug 2020, 06:14
"But then how long to unload 500kg with the aircraft on fire?"

:} Greed can be a wonderful motivator ............

Sunfish
2nd Aug 2020, 06:45
According to anecdotes, JORN picks up things a lot smaller than a C172.....

Squawk7700
2nd Aug 2020, 06:51
It’s no secret. It can pick up a periscope from a “very long” way away.

Magnetomick
2nd Aug 2020, 07:00
More importantly it wasn’t just the coke.
Latest EMTV state 3 TV’s and 3 Gaming Consoles, that probably blew the MTOW.:confused:

Interesting that media stating some of the syndicate were arrested shortly after TCI departed Mareeba, so maybe offload cargo into the bush camp that was located and run.

What options does the PF have, Bomana Corrections Facility or Calabrian mafiosi after their lost $500 million whilst doing life in Oz. Probably time to turn informer and do a guilty plea assisting the prosecution.

PoppaJo
2nd Aug 2020, 08:32
Any hint on why not airworthy?

Taking a aircraft from an active airfield "stolen" or not, that is known to not be airworthy or have an expired MR will not go unnoticed.

Landing back at the same airfield with a large volume of freight would be foolish. What is nearby for a one time landing in a 402 a bit out of sight?
Dimbulah.

Too many sticky beaks at Mareeba or Atherton.

Bend alot
2nd Aug 2020, 08:54
Dimbulah.

Too many sticky beaks at Mareeba or Atherton.
Yep that seems a good contender.

Aus ATC
2nd Aug 2020, 10:56
I don't understand why the pilot would be extradited to Australia. I'm sure the PNG justice system will do a far better job.

Barry Bernoulli
2nd Aug 2020, 11:09
Does anyone have a comment on the fire around the port engine? Could it have been on the take off roll and the reason for the abort? Or was it an impact fire? Asking for a friend :)

The radar data appears to show an aborted take-off at Mareeba at 0852. Aborted from 70kts. Taxied back in to the hardstand and shut down for 18 minutes. Then taxied out again at 0913 for a 0919 takeoff. Could that be an indication of a left engine problem prior to departure from Mareeba, and then a recurrence when trying to depart Papa Lealea?

Bend alot
2nd Aug 2020, 11:55
The radar data appears to show an aborted take-off at Mareeba at 0852. Aborted from 70kts. Taxied back in to the hardstand and shut down for 18 minutes. Then taxied out again at 0913 for a 0919 takeoff. Could that be an indication of a left engine problem prior to departure from Mareeba, and then a recurrence when trying to depart Papa Lealea?
Bit fast of a repair for a engine fix of any type on a 402.

Maybe a blocked pitot?

SCPL_1988
2nd Aug 2020, 19:30
Take a look at https://cairnsnews.org/posts/PNG cocaine bust: Italian police say Mafia so entrenched in Australian politics and business it is impossible to stamp out (https://cairnsnews.org/2020/08/02/italian-police-say-mafia-so-entrenched-in-australian-politics-and-business-it-is-impossible-to-stamp-out/)PNG cocaine bust: Australia is a “state of Italy”Italian police have now classed the mafia in Australia as so entrenched, they believe it would be impossible to stamp out completely with Australian police only able to make busts where they can.

First published February, 2016

by Charles Miranda

ITALIAN police have carried out a series of raids to smash a Mafia-led operation to smuggle cocaine to Australia that police say godfathers have now divided into six zones for trafficking drugs, extortion and money laundering.

And such is the entrenchment of Mafia links to Australia now, authorities say the country is virtually a state of Italy and it would be impossible to ever wipe out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=LR27WgRkWxo&feature=emb_logo

Authorities have uncovered a treasure trove of intelligence related to the fearsome Calabrian-based ’ Ndrangheta mafia group and their operations in Australia including members’ infiltration of key areas to assist in their trade, including transport and politics.

The police operation last week with raids on more than a dozen homes in Calabria has seen 14 members of clans linked to ’Ndrangheta arrested and charged with “criminal association linked to international drugs tracking”, namely to Australia and Canada.

One of eight refused bail is a police officer tasked with protection of a port but instead was allegedly providing guidance on evading controls and security for drug shipments.

The case was the culmination of five years of work by the Central Operational Service of the Italian National Police, a specialist Italian police squad from Calabria and the district’s Anti-Mafia Prosecutor’s Office.

Despite the success of arrests and uncovering intelligence on international operations through extensive listening devices, taps and surveillance, it may not assist the overall ’Ndrangheta crime fight in Australia.

Italian police have now classed the mafia in Australia as so entrenched, they believe it would be impossible to stamp out completely with Australian police only able to make busts where they can.

“Australia is not a target nation any more, it’s now like a state of Italy from a criminal perspective,” a senior Italian officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, told News Corp Australia.

“They are entrenched in their activities and have been for a long time. They have not got an expansion strategy with your country any more, it’s not expansion, it’s consolidation. Australia, Canada, Belgium, United States, Germany are all countries where these crimes are being consolidated.”

’Ndrangheta work as “strictly a family-based enterprise, affiliation having to be through blood relation”.

According to evidence gathered by authorities, the group had designated six “locales” in Australia for Calabrian-linked mafia, not necessarily by state but by powerbase for extended family support and drug importation markets as well as large-scale construction contracts, paying of backhanders and racketeering. Each locale has its own mob boss that reports directly to Italy
Former WA mayor faces accusations he led mafia cellCourt documents from ongoing proceedings in Italy also show Italian prosecutors allege Tony Vallelonga, who is the former mayor of Stirling in Perth, is the local leader of a mafia cell in Perth.

Court files allege that Mr Vallelonga is responsible for “making the most important decisions, imparting orders or imposing sanctions on other subordinate associates”.

The files allege Mr Vallelonga was concerned about a rival who wanted to start his own cell on Mr Vallelonga’s turf with the approval of Calabrian bosses.

Photo: Detective-Superintendent Matt Warren said the mafia was robust and difficult to defeat. (ABC) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-06/detective-superintendent-matt-warren/6596352)

Mr Vallelonga was allegedly recorded in an Italian laundromat recounting a conversation with his competitor where he allegedly said: “As long as I’m alive, you don’t get a locale [local mafia cell] … and that’s that!”

To which his rival responded: “You can’t be the man any more … enough!”

It comes after the prosecutors sought to question Mr Vallelonga over his dealings in Calabria with a notorious mafia boss.

Mr Valleonga has always denied the allegations and in a statement sent to the ABC, Mr Vallelonga’s lawyer said any allegation the former mayor had ever been involved in criminal activity was “completely without any foundation”.

Outside of the political arena, Italian police have identified another Australian allegedly working in Calabria who is part of the influential Alvaro family.

Some members of the family were recently subjects of an international anti-mafia operation when authorities seized tonnes of cocaine and made dozens of arrests.

Confidential Italian and Australian police files state that the Alvaro clan has arms in Australia.

They are allegedly headed by Adelaide construction figure Paul Alvaro, 64, and a New South Wales man.

The pair are among figures around the country, including in Griffith, New South Wales.

A police assessment said the individuals operate as “an executive board of directors” for the Calabrian Mafia.

PNG police try to cover up $80m drug plane crash – hold fishermen at gunpoint to prevent assistance (https://cairnsnews.org/2020/08/02/png-police-try-to-cover-up-80m-drug-plane-crash-hold-fishermen-at-gunpoint-to-prevent-assistance/)

Federal Police omitted to mention this part of the drug operation:Letter to the Editorfrom Susan Merrell, PNG, 30 July 2020

Strong allegations:

What and who is behind the July 26 plane crash at Papa LeaLea? Are government agencies in PNG progressing from mere corruption into the drug trade and international crime?

Implicated is Deputy Police Commissioner Operations Donald Yamasombi who is said to have been at the crash site of aircraft, registration VHTSI at LeaLea, near Port Moresby before the AFP arrived but “said nothing” about the crash. Why not?

This accusation forms part of the unverified information I have been receiving from reliable sources, sources that I’m confident would not knowingly mislead.

The aircraft is suspected to have landed to load a cargo of cocaine on a flight, probably returning to Australia from where it had originally taken off. The question is: where did the cocaine come from and who was facilitating this?

As told to me:
“The flight left Mareeba and was tracked by the Aussies all the way to final impact. Shortly after take off the pilot turned off transponders [and other tracking instruments] mistakenly believing this would make him blind to radar tracking. (A lesson learnt from the MH70 fiasco!)

The strip at LeaLea is an old disused/abandoned strip but still marked on older and better navigation maps. The ever-helpful villagers had cleared it just enough for this flight. The plane landed, loaded the drugs and again, thanks to the villagers, was refuelled – the empty avgas

[i]PNG police attend the crash of a Cessna 404 which flew from Mareeba FNQ airport, Far North Queensland. The Cessna 404 is the largest of the twin engine Cessna piston aircraft range. Built solidly it can carry 9 passengers and luggage or uplift 1 tonne of freight.
It has some 8 hours of endurance and because of its geared propellers it is one of the quietest twin engine aircraft ever built.

drums were on site, probably still are?

It should have had more than enough fuel on board for a return to Mareeba – if that’s where it was going. If it had a full fuel load when it left Mareeba, flying time would have been about 7hours, more than enough to get back.

The plane crashed on take off – it made it high enough to be picked up on radar but then went down. The most likely cause, according to assembled pilots, was a dramatic load shift, a single engine failure or simply overloaded? It appears there was a small fire in the port engine when she went down.

The police are reported to have attended the site early Monday – BULLSH*T! They were there when it happened. Four Boroko Fishing Club members were at Lealea packing up ready to leave when it happened. They were held at gunpoint by armed police for just on an hour and prevented from “rendering assistance” and/or leaving the boat ramp.

Still visible were the rest of the police doing their best to set fire to the plane wreckage and the cargo. In this they largely succeeded, particularly the cargo, of which we are told nothing remained intact. There was, and still is no sign of the pilot but blood stains on the plane’s steering wheel/instrument panel would indicate he must have got a nasty bump on the head on impact – maybe those helpful villagers are helping out again?!

Furthermore, I’ve been told that a dog unit policeman said that a chopper was sent on Monday morning to remove the wreckage but policemen were guarding the plane so they left.

Contrary to this report – I have also been told that the cargo (purportedly 500kgs of cocaine) was spirited away before the attempted destruction of the aircraft. (500 kg of Cocaine now in police custody-Editor)

That’s a lot of cocaine and worth millions on the streets of Australia. Cocaine is a high-priced recreation drug beloved of affluent drug users……..

from Susan Merrell, PNG, 30 July 2020

Further allegations from PNG Happenings Today:

How is (Deputy Police Commissioner Donald) Yamasombi’s brother in law, Hubert Namani of the PNG Accident Investigation Commission (AIC) mooted to be implicated in the saga of the plane crash at Papa Lealea along with Yamasombi’s nephew, a former PNGDF officer?

Asserted by my source, is that two of the Deputy Commissioner’s policemen went to Jacksons Airport NAC fuel depot with 15 jerry cans to collect fuel. You make the connections to the brother-in-law.

Also asserted is that 144 bags of cocaine (in 28 boxes) were taken from the site before the alarm was raised. S/he also asserts that 30 bags of cocaine were subsequently seized from the Sanctuary Hotel and that Donald Yamasombi’s ex military nephew had been seen there in the company of hotel owner, Jamie Pang. Make of that what you want too.

My source also claims that cocaine is available on the streets of Port Moresby at K500-600 ($A250 – $300) per teaspoon. At that price I posited that there couldn’t be many customers. He countered with their names. I was astonished and you’d be too, if I could tell you whom. However, there is evidence I need to gather before I am able to name them – but I know who you are alleged to be. Suffice it to say, the person who’s running this drug trade is purported to be a former policeman linked to William Kapris. (PNG high profile bank robber shot dead by police in 2013 after escaping prison)

The plot thickens.

I am now told that the police have 28 boxes containing 144 packs of cocaine at police headquarters and I’m also told that the reserve police officer working with customs is Jason Tan’s brother-in-law. Jason (Malaysian-born business leader) is suspected to have (previously) killed the Alice Springs (Northern Territory) owner of the plane that crashed – a Geoffrey Bull?

From ABC, 2019:

“A search of Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s register shows the Cessna’s registration holder is a PNG company called RAVENPOL NO. 69.

Company documents show its sole director and shareholder is Geoffrey Paul Bull (of Alice Springs), but several sources have said he was murdered in Port Moresby last year.

According to the aircraft register Ravenpol became the registration holder in January this year, after Mr Bull’s death….”

In an undercover operation ongoing prior to the Cessna flying to PNG, police have caught and charged a number of the Melbourne drug syndicate members who arrived in Atherton by air earlier in July.

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/e6w7U7dpgR

To be continued…….
Wow...

Kagamuga
2nd Aug 2020, 20:51
Interesting article,

Of course C402 is not a C404 with geared engines. Fuel drums were 20 litre plastic containers.
Important to remember the following in PNG:

All robberies and heists etc are INSIDE jobs. The wantok system.
Politicians, police, public servants, are corrupt ... not all the but the good ones are hard to find!

aroa
3rd Aug 2020, 06:20
Not the first time , and wont be the last no doubt, of " unusual flight occurrences " in and out of Mareeba.

There has been a slight increase in ops at the place. 1 new hangar in the recent development areas and more to follow at the western end, including, hopefully the start of construction of the FNQ Air Museum, to showcase the WW2 history of the field and earlier Cape York pioneering aviation.

Bend alot
3rd Aug 2020, 06:55
The plane crashed on take off – it made it high enough to be picked up on radar but then went down. The most likely cause, according to assembled pilots, was a dramatic load shift, a single engine failure or simply overloaded? It appears there was a small fire in the port engine when she went down.

Not sure the flight time for full fuel reflects the C402 C, that could be the C404? Then again fuel burn at low altitude would make the C404 a maybe for the return trip.

So the C402 got airborne, to be picked up on radar. Then had a issue! and stops not very far from the end of the airstrip.
This with lots of fuel and + 500kg of freight,on a strip of about 900m.

Dramatic load shift- aft on after rotation. My guess a stall with different debris pattern.
Single engine failure after rotation. My guess much further to the left of centre line - and far deeper into the woods (possible feathered prop)
Overloaded after airborne. My guess far deeper into the woods & more pruned trees.

I guess I am saying given required fuel, 500+kg freight and short unpaved strip, I do not think it is possible for a C402 to get airborne and be mostly intact so close to the end of the runway.

Duck Pilot
3rd Aug 2020, 08:18
Who cares what caused the crash, the whole mission was obviously going to be a complete disaster for those involved from the onset, based on the intel that the authorities already had.

The accident may have actually saved the pilot’s life, what’s to say that he couldn’t have ended up in the Coral Sea if the left engine failed/caught fire enroute. Pure speculation of course.

Looks like a Pandora’s Box is slowly being opened up.

Squawk7700
3rd Aug 2020, 08:50
Time to give the thread a rest until we have more true factual information?

Last time I checked, you weren’t a moderator here.

Bend alot
3rd Aug 2020, 09:37
Time to give the thread a rest until we have more true factual information?
I do not expect a investigation into this "accident" and very much doubt any real aircraft and/or crash related matters to be much of the court process that will follow.

So shall be a very long rest.

Capt Fathom
3rd Aug 2020, 10:42
So shall be a very long rest.

Maybe your guess will be accurate!

TBM-Legend
4th Aug 2020, 00:41
Be quiet Karen...

Mumbai Merlin
4th Aug 2020, 03:47
Four (4) arrests so far today;

Two locals at a auto repair shop, both with $40k AUD in their possession
Two locals at Sunset Lodge, near Lea Lea
Further charges pending against pilot
The locals will sell each other for a good meal and a packet of cigs.

The Wawa Zone
4th Aug 2020, 14:18
I suggest there would be little local involvement in the execution let alone planning of this glorious plot. The Mafia in Australia and the South American supplier (assuming this was trans-shipped Coke) are experienced in their business and would have little need to insert a bunch of wantoks into the movement of the gear from a boat or shipping container onto a truck out to the airstrip - it would be fairly easy to put your own couple of guys in-county for a few months prior to the day or two it would take to do the operation. I can straight-up think of two legit reasons to lengthen the local landowner's strip for him without raising any suspicions (but hey I'm not running a smuggling course).

On the other hand, despite half a billion dollars worth of coke being at stake, Mario and the guys allowing the half arsed nature of the Mareeba / 402 phase of this plot to proceed could mean that they were actually not as bright as they thought they were.
However, if this was an entirely PNG-designed plan, then burning aircraft parked in the bushes and pure chaos all round would be far more likely :)

SCPL_1988
4th Aug 2020, 19:42
Correction on my prior post.
Cessna was seen on radar after take off, that means its more likely
that he chose to return to land and overshot. I don't mind the speculation but
its very obvious that many know far more than what is public right now.

geeup
4th Aug 2020, 20:55
Have the people of Lea Lea requested compensation yet?

packapoo
4th Aug 2020, 21:59
we have a winner folks!

doublemamba
5th Aug 2020, 11:32
Amazing, half a billion dollars of drugs for the lawyers in Melbourne but they couldnt extend the runway by 200 metres. They should get a job with CASA!

aviation_enthus
5th Aug 2020, 19:29
As far as I can remember the JORN system is more broad based surveillance but can be focused in certain areas if required. So if there was intelligence that such a flight was happening then they could certainly track it across to PNG and back.

But from all the articles I’ve ever read about it, JORN doesn’t see everything, everywhere, all the time. Plus I think the state of the ionosphere can affect it as well (it bounces radio waves to get ‘over the horizon’).

Otherwise why would the occasional refugee boat sneak through? Or what about MH370, the coverage maps show JORN has the potential to see out that far.

geeup
5th Aug 2020, 20:50
There has been a few aircraft go down over the last few years that haven’t been immediately found even with Australia’s assistant.

A Hevilift Long Ranger & NCA Islander come to mind.

MH370 might be in the Highlands

5th Aug 2020, 21:34
Otherwise why would the occasional refugee boat sneak through?
Maybe because most are wood?

Kagamuga
7th Aug 2020, 10:51
Breaking News!

The Director of Protocol to the Prime Minister's office Ms. Julie Wapo was arrested and charged with her involvement in the Drug Syndicate plane crash.

The story suggests that Wapo was carefully chosen for the position to mislead the Prime Minister.

She will sing a song that will make dozens run for cover (if she lives long enough)

Sunfish
7th Aug 2020, 21:58
The pilot concerned perhaps never thought that maybe they weren’t supposed to survive this exercise.

Duck Pilot
9th Aug 2020, 11:09
Posted on LinkedIn

https://maxmoments.blog/2020/08/02/cocaine-cartels-cops-mr-smith-and-the-ghost-plane-which-crashed-an-80-million-importation/

Mumbai Merlin
9th Aug 2020, 11:46
I wonder if Hevilift's AW139 (HCG) that arrived in CNS this afternoon from PNG got a going over?

packapoo
9th Aug 2020, 22:15
Duckman, thanks, interesting reading there.

Squawk7700
10th Aug 2020, 00:58
I wonder if Hevilift's AW139 (HCG) that arrived in CNS this afternoon from PNG got a going over?

Why would that be the case?

Plenty of aircraft fly in and out of PNG on a regular basis.

Petropavlovsk
10th Aug 2020, 03:13
Squawk,

You are very wrong. The helicopter yesterday would have been the first NON essential movement since Covid restrictions started.
Medivac is allowed along with FIFO under strictly controlled conditions. Any RPT aircraft are freight only.

Squawk7700
10th Aug 2020, 05:10
Squawk,

You are very wrong. The helicopter yesterday would have been the first NON essential movement since Covid restrictions started.
Medivac is allowed along with FIFO under strictly controlled conditions. Any RPT aircraft are freight only.

Correct. Nobody said anything the purpose of the flight.

Mumbai Merlin
12th Aug 2020, 03:05
Alleged Aust smuggler pilot charged under Pandemic Act | Loop PNG (http://www.looppng.com/png-news/alleged-aust-smuggler-pilot-charged-under-pandemic-act-93997)

Pilot Cutmore has been charged with further offences, relating to Covid pandemic, money laundering, terror financing.

deja vu
12th Aug 2020, 09:24
25th March 1983

I was the second SAR to arrive at Lake Murray after a twotter from Tabubil.

ELCOM had just installed power lines near the western threshold which effectively restricted the strip to one way. As a sequence of electricity being supplied to Lake Murray a portable generator was being freighted out. This was loaded into the front of the 402 (P2-GKA) instead of the cabin.

Any chance of telling us non PNG guys about the Neil Brooker at Lake Murray incident. I knew Neil back in the 70s when he was doing his CPL.

DeRated
13th Aug 2020, 04:06
Lake Murray incident....

Send me a PM and I'll respond as it's off topic here.

Brian

AxelPNG
13th Aug 2020, 05:00
Start a new thread, I am sure a lot of us would love to read it..;)

Allan L
13th Aug 2020, 05:56
A sophisticated drug syndicate used covert flights, encrypted devices and false identities to import drugs from Papua New Guinea to northern Queensland, a Melbourne court has been told.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/two-drug-accused-used-covert-png-flights-refused-bail/12554972

Duck Pilot
13th Aug 2020, 06:53
Based on the latest media reports there may have been other flights?? I’d also imagine that old mate who crashed the 402 isn’t going to leave PNG anytime soon based on his recent charges.

deja vu
13th Aug 2020, 14:04
Lake Murray incident....

Send me a PM and I'll respond as it's off topic here.

Brian
Thanks PM sent.....I hope

deja vu
14th Aug 2020, 08:58
De Rated,,one more PM sent, thanks

Mumbai Merlin
15th Aug 2020, 06:33
Official AIC pre-lim report

14th August 2020
1 | P a g e
MEDIA RELEASE

PNG ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION COMMISSION RELEASES PRELIMINARY REPORT ON AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT NEAR PAPA-LEALEA, CENTRAL PROVINCE

The Chief Commissioner of the PNG Accident Investigation Commission (AIC), Mr. Hubert Namani today announced the public release of a Preliminary Report on the investigation regarding the aircraft accident occurred on 26th July 2020, involving a Cessna 402C aircraft registered VH-TSI near Papa-Lealea, Central Province.
Mr. Namani said “On 26th August 2020 at 12:46 local time, a twin-engine Cessna 402 aircraft Australian registration VH-TSI impacted trees during an aborted take-off at an uncommissioned field near Papa-Lealea, Central Province.”
Mr. Namani explained that “At about 09:30 that day, the aircraft departed Mareeba, Queensland, Australia and tracked towards the North North-East with a track set slightly left of Jacksons International Airport. The pilot stated that after departure, he switched off the transponder.
“According to the pilot statement, as he approached the uncommissioned field for landing, the outboard section of the left wing was clipped by a tree and separated from the aircraft and he managed to continue with the approach and touched down on the field at about 12:20.
“The pilot stated that the aircraft was refuelled and loaded with cargo by persons waiting on the ground.
“The pilot also stated that the field offered enough distance for take-off and at about 12:40, he commenced his take-off roll from the Southern end of the field. However, as the aircraft took off, he noticed that the airspeed indicator was not working and that the aircraft could not achieve a positive rate of climb. The pilot subsequently aborted the take-off and the aircraft touched down about 850 m into the field, colliding with trees during its landing roll.”
The pilot reported he was the sole occupant of the aircraft, and sustained minor injuries. The aircraft was substantially damaged.
The AIC became aware of the occurrence at around 18:00 local time the day of the accident and subsequently contacted Papua New Guinea Air Services Limited (ASL), being informed by ASL that all PNG registered aircraft were accounted for. However, ASL advised AIC that they received an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) distress signal and provided the ELT distress coordinates to the AIC.
A team of investigators was dispatched to the area, locating the crash site on the morning of 27th July 2020. When AIC investigators arrived, the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary (RPNGC) police along with Australian Federal Police (AFP) were already at the site conducting police inquiries. The AIC investigators subsequently commenced an onsite investigation.

Mr. Namani explained: “The AIC is a Statutory organisation independent from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority of PNG (CASA PNG), providers of air services and providers of aviation related services, as established by Section 6(c) of the Civil Aviation Act 2000 (As Amended), and aligned with Annex 13 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.”
17/2020
14th August 2020

Rodney Rotorslap
15th Aug 2020, 08:29
According to the pilot statement, as he approached the uncommissioned field for landing, the outboard section of the left wing was clipped by a tree and separated from the aircraft

So they refuelled and loaded an aeroplane that had lost part of a wing during the preceding landing?

Bend alot
15th Aug 2020, 10:53
So they refuelled and loaded an aeroplane that had lost part of a wing during the preceding landing?
Not only BUT-

“The pilot also stated that the field offered enough distance for take-off and at about 12:40, he commenced his take-off roll from the Southern end of the field. However, as the aircraft took off, he noticed that the airspeed indicator was not working and that the aircraft could not achieve a positive rate of climb. The pilot subsequently aborted the take-off and the aircraft touched down about 850 m into the field, colliding with trees during its landing roll.

Then a stop in what looks like 50 meters!

So no ASI prior to take off - that is clear early on with much time to stop.

Squawk7700
15th Aug 2020, 12:18
So no ASI prior to take off - that is clear early on with much time to stop.

Do you think you can actually trust his recollection of the incident?

Hamley
15th Aug 2020, 12:45
...received an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) distress signal and provided the ELT distress coordinates to AIC

The ELT went off and let everyone know exactly where they were! Amateur hour!!!

The Wawa Zone
16th Aug 2020, 12:31

Most likely he only lost the fibreglass wingtip fairing that holds the nav light. Any more and the aileron would have gone and he would have done some nice aerobatics on short final.
Still, one more act in this circus.

Petropavlovsk
16th Aug 2020, 21:51
Wawa, have you bothered to look at any of the photo's.

Alice Kiwican
17th Aug 2020, 06:29

Only photo’s I’ve seen the left wing outboard of the engine is burnt out. How can anyone tell how much of the wing was missing prior to take off from those photos?

lucille
17th Aug 2020, 07:00

It’s hard to tell whether it was the first or second brush with the trees which caused the damage in the photos.

You can’t blame the pilot for trying to take off with the damage... at that stage, he was between a rock and a hard place. What else could he do? Wait for a LAME to come fix it?

Bend alot
17th Aug 2020, 07:30
From memory it is about 18 inch or 2 foot of outboard wing until the aileron - a fair bit more than a fairing holding the strobes (like the PA-31).

The Wawa Zone
17th Aug 2020, 09:48

Yeah, you mean this one ? The wings measure up the same when you zoom in, so it would be a bit of tip fairing at the most. If that had been knocked off, I wonder if it had his prints on it from the prefight, and would have been good evidence if he had managed to get it out.

Incidentally, in that pic, can you see the black plastic wrapped box of drugs that must have got left laying in the bushes in the panic and confusion to unload the thing after the prang ?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x718/hvtsi_92c63fa622a88398a838366cde95ca6032398078.jpeg

Alice Kiwican
17th Aug 2020, 09:57
Yeah, you mean this one ? The wings measure up the same when you zoom in, so it would be a bit of tip fairing at the most. If that had been knocked off, I wonder if it had his prints on it from the prefight, and would have been good evidence if he had managed to get it out.

Incidentally, in that pic, can you see the black plastic wrapped box of drugs that must have got left laying in the bushes in the panic and confusion to unload the thing after the prang ?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x718/hvtsi_92c63fa622a88398a838366cde95ca6032398078.jpeg

My mistake hadn’t seen that photo before not as much burnt as I thought

Bend alot
17th Aug 2020, 13:08
Any pix of any flap out at the arrival site?

No flap would be a take off, flap out would be a landing.

Mumbai Merlin
17th Aug 2020, 13:18
Further Official update information

Cessna 402C collided with trees during aborted take-off at a non-certified field near Papa Lealea, about 16nm North – West of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Occurrence details
On 26 July 2020, at 12:46 local time (02:46 UTC1), a Cessna 402C aircraft, registered VH-TSI, impacted trees during an aborted take-off at an uncommissioned field near Papa – Lealea, about 16nm North-West of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
Figure 1: Depiction of accident location in relation to Jackson’s airport, Port Moresby
At about 09:30 that day, the aircraft departed Mareeba, Queensland, Australia and tracked towards the North North-East with a track set slightly left of Jacksons International Airport. The pilot reported that he had flown to and within Papua New Guinea in the past and was familiar with the area and airspace. He confirmed that after departure, he switched off the transponder2.
The pilot reported that as soon as the aircraft neared the Southern shoreline (within the Caution Bay area), he diverted left and began tracking towards the North West (see Figure 2) along the coast to avoid flying over villages in the area. The aircraft subsequently crossed over land before turning back to approach the intended landing field.
The pilot stated that as he approached to land from the North, the outboard section of the left wing was clipped by a tree and separated from the aircraft and he managed to continue with the approach and touched down on the field at about 12:20.
The pilot stated that the aircraft was refuelled with aviation gasoline (AvGas) using jerrycans full of fuel and loaded with cargo by persons waiting on the ground.
According to the pilot, the field offered enough distance for take-off and at about 12:40, he commenced his take-
1 The 24-hour clock, in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), is used in this report to describe the local time as specific events occurred. Local time in the area of the accident, Pacific/Port Moresby Time is UTC + 10 hours.
2 Radio device which when triggered by correct received signal sends out precoded reply on same (rarely different) wavelength (Source: Cambridge Aerospace dictionary)
off roll from the Southern end of the field. However, as the aircraft took off, he noticed that the airspeed indicator was not working and that the aircraft couldn’t achieve a positive rate of climb. The pilot subsequently closed the throttles and aborted the take off. The aircraft touched down about 850 m into the field, colliding with trees during its landing roll.
The pilot reported he was the sole occupant of the aircraft, and sustained minor injuries.
The aircraft was substantially damaged.
Figure 2: VH-TSI track towards the field using for landing and take-off.
AIC comment
The investigation is continuing and will include operational, technical, environmental and human aspects as appropriate to determine the circumstances and causes of the occurrence with a view to avoid similar occurrences in the future, rather to ascribe blame to any person, with complete independence from any judicial, police or administrative investigation that can be conducted for purposes other than safety.
The investigation analysis and findings will be included in the Final Report.
Safety Actions
At the time of the issue of this Preliminary report, no safety actions had been taken.
Recommendations
At the time of the issue of this Preliminary report, no recommendations had been made by the AIC.
General Details
Date and time:
26th July 2020, 12:46 Local time (02:46 UTC)
Occurrence category:
Accident
ICAO occurrence category:
Collision with obstacle during take-off or landing (CTOL)
Latitude: 9°14ʹ49.78ʺS
Longitude: 147°0ʹ57.84ʺE
Pilot details
Nationality:
Australian
Licence type:
NA
Total hours:
NA
Total hours in Command:
NA
Total hours on type:
NA
Aircraft Details
Aircraft manufacturer and model:
Cessna 402C
VH-TSI
Serial number:
402C0492
Type of operation, injury and damage details
Type of operation:
Take-off from an uncommissioned field.
Persons on board:
Crew: 1 (Pilot)
Passengers: Nil
Injuries:
Crew: Minor
Passengers: Nil
Damage
Substantially damaged.

Section28- BE
18th Aug 2020, 02:06
Apologies for the 'drift', but same Cargo- different method.

Link here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/joint-nsw-police-afp-border-force-operation-bust-cocaine-boat/12568230

All GO on this Cocaine gig...., apparently.
rgds
S28_ BE

Bend alot
18th Aug 2020, 07:56
If we work on the basis that it is a couple of hundred of kilos up to one tonne then the street value is between $100 million and $250 million

The C402 bust must have pushed the price up!

Section28- BE
18th Aug 2020, 08:44
If we work on the basis that it is a couple of hundred of kilos up to one tonne then the street value is between $100 million and $250 million

The C402 bust must have pushed the price up!

Yes- Very, Good Point..........!!!!!

Strange times- and then, what washes out??
rgds
S28- BE

Duck Pilot
18th Aug 2020, 12:12
Who gives a toss if old mate screwed up and banged up a wing and all the rest of it! Absolutely no Safety outcomes will attributed to aviation safety with regards to the AIC’s report....

Aviation Safety and pure Greed don’t sync...

We don’t need these rubbish people in our industry, lock them up and throw the keys away and let them die in custody!

Petropavlovsk
18th Aug 2020, 12:48
Agreed Duck!

packapoo
18th Aug 2020, 22:07
Can't fault that logic!

Mumbai Merlin
31st Aug 2020, 11:52
A report in the PNG Post Courier advises the "drugs" are in safe keeping and maybe flown to Australia for evidence.
I imagine the pilot has shed a few kilo's by now, he looked a little plump on TV, a few weeks in Bomana will change that! :}

The Wawa Zone
1st Sep 2020, 08:46
. .. the "drugs" are in safe keeping and maybe flown to Australia for evidence.

In safe keeping ? Do you mean the three boxes totalling 30 kilos, those drugs ??

lucille
1st Sep 2020, 10:41
I imagine the pilot has shed a few kilo's by now, he looked a little plump on TV, a few weeks in Bomana will change that! :}

Our gin and tonic swilling embassy staff probably already have him sequestered somewhere safe. Human rights and all that nonsense so near and dear to DFATs hearts will prevail.

Mumbai Merlin
9th Sep 2020, 07:57
9th Sept. PNG Post Courier

Three men allegedly involved in the K160 million drug bust outside Port Moresby on July 26 have pleaded not guilty to the charges of aiding and abetting and conveying smuggled goods.
Waigani Court Magistrate Dessie Kaputin Magaru adjourned their cases to Oct 15.
Dominic Telauki Terupa, 34, of Mortlock in Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Morgan Mogu, 35 of Abau in Central and Shane Dikana, 31, from Lealea village in Kairuku/Hiri, Central are remanded at the Bomana Correctional Service.
The two foreigners also allegedly involved in the drug bust also had their cases adjourned.
Australian aircraft pilot David John Cutmore’s case was adjourned to Sept 24, after lawyer Agnes Peter requested for a two weeks adjournment because she was attending to another case at the National court.
He is staying at the Bomana refugee detention centre.

packapoo
9th Sep 2020, 22:28
Oh dear. I know the family of the last named. Decent people.

Squawk7700
9th Sep 2020, 23:21
I can think of easier ways to get hold of a Playstation.

Magnetomick
17th Sep 2020, 06:25
Trying to find the media source, but I think a vessel connected with the LHI and Newcastle drug haul, possibly the “muvver ship”and Police had a “shots fired exchange” incident around New Ireland several weeks ago.

Mary
17th Sep 2020, 19:50
Can anyone give us an idea of the ownership, company structures and maybe current operations for these three organisations:

Airr PNG
Tropic Air
Heavi Lift

Asking for a friend ............. (actually, an investor looking to sink some money into the oil and gas business, doing their due diligence on support infrastructure).

Because there is never smoke without fire, rumour and innuendo welcome..............

Office Update
17th Sep 2020, 21:33
Mary, you have to be kidding .. where did you come from?

Air PNG, no such thing, basic internet check would show the company as 'PNG Air', owned by NASFUND
Tropicair is one word, again basic internet search would assist you, predominately Malaysian owned
Heavi Lift, again you show a teenager attitude as the spelling is 'Hevilift', NASFUND has their finger in the pie.

No investor would recruit a person such as yourself, with such poor spelling and lack of background research.

Due diligence is undertaken by law firms and accounting firms, not a Mary or in pidgeon english a "meri"

Office Update
30th Sep 2020, 12:43
A few lines in the Post Courier the other day suggest that the pilot may walk free, along with all the other players.
Apparently he/they were arrested by the wrong people; viz: Police/Customs; squabbling in the ranks etc.
Clever lawyer!.
Don't laugh because it is PNG and it's "the land of the unexpected"

lucille
1st Oct 2020, 01:10
That would be hilarious, if true.

And surprisingly not unexpected!🤣

Seaeagle109
8th Oct 2020, 21:31
From the PNG Post Courier today.

One charge against the pilot dropped; that of illegal entry to the country during the pandemic.

https://postcourier.com.pg/court-dismisses-charge-against-australian-pilot/

aroa
8th Oct 2020, 22:51
Aah the 'law,' lawyers and bureaucracy.! Dont you love 'em
He's not free to go yet

Seaeagle109
14th Oct 2020, 21:34
From the Post Courier, more charges laid against the pilot.

https://postcourier.com.pg/aussie-pilot-in-cocaine-5-faces-fresh-charges/

lucille
14th Oct 2020, 22:49
Here’s my 2 cents.
The pilot will plea bargain to allow him to serve his sentence in Australia. If no plea bargain, then there will be heavy pressure by DFAT.
He will be sent to some cushy prison farm in Queensland for a year or two at the most and then because of good behaviour, health issues, and what ever dodgy excuses his lawyer will concoct, he will get parole. Everyone’s a winner in the drug trade in Australia.

geeup
15th Oct 2020, 06:37
He already has medical issues with a dodgy ticker.

Seaeagle109
12th Nov 2020, 08:22
Interesting that some charges have been dropped.

https://postcourier.com.pg/court-grants-bail-to-suspect-cocaine-smuggler/

Makes you wonder if anybody will be held accountable.

Kagamuga
16th Dec 2020, 10:54
Nearly five months since the event took place.
I think the chubby pilot will have shed a few pounds in detention.
Perhaps a food package for Christmas? :}

Duck Pilot
17th Dec 2020, 09:20
I’m sure he has meet a few new businesses associates at the retreat.

Probably very fluent in Tok Pisin now and has a taste for SP and the local talent!

Kagamuga
18th Dec 2020, 01:08
Two Kina Meri ?
Em Nau !:E

lucille
18th Dec 2020, 07:24
Didn’t the High Comm. rescue him from prison and put him in some comfortable refugee camp? Maybe he’s squealing in gratitude already. Wonder if the Aerostar at Redcliffe has any connection with this lot?

Office Update
18th Dec 2020, 07:52
The pilot of the Redcliffe airport snatch was charged in Brisbane Magistrates Court today, released on bail.
Mark Nolan. fairly well known. If he squeals too loudly then ......
CH 9 News.
Wonder if there is a connection to the PNG heist?

Bodie1
18th Dec 2020, 08:35
Brisbane Magistrates Court

Pinky the pilot
18th Dec 2020, 09:20
Two Kina Meri ?

Struth Kagamuga! Are they still only Two Kina?:ooh: Hasn't inflation upped the price yet?:confused:

Not that I'd know anything about that sort of Lady though..:=:}

Capt Fathom
18th Dec 2020, 09:36
I think someone has the drug running pilots mixed up.
This thread is about PNG.

The more recent event you refer to is the Aerostar at Redcliffe.

Office Update
18th Dec 2020, 09:50
Capt:
The slight drift in thread was in response to "lucille's" tag...

lucille
18th Dec 2020, 10:32
Struth Kagamuga! Are they still only Two Kina?:ooh: Hasn't inflation upped the price yet?:confused:

Not that I'd know anything about that sort of Lady though..:=:}

Time stands still at the Aero Club.

Like the speed of light, two Kina is a constant in every equation at POM. The only variable would be the number of SP stubbies consumed.

Duck Pilot
19th Dec 2020, 06:56
The good old days of throwing down a few SP handles at the dero club, having a sleep then getting into a Bandit at 4am delivering newspapers to Lae, Hagen and Goroka. Single pilot IFR with no autopilot.

I got busted in Cairns by a CASA PNG AWI loading a steam roller engine into the Bandit! AWI was a good mate, hence I got on with the job done.

mendi63
19th Dec 2020, 19:36
It's amazing what used to be carried in that particular Bandit.

Duck Pilot
10th Jan 2021, 07:31
PNG AIC has apparently issued an interim report into the accident. Wingtip apparently torn off as a result of clipping a tree on landing, I assume it was the outer fibreglass section which is reasonably large on a C model 402.

Aborted take off due to lik lik ROC! Obviously old mate knew he was probably going to die or get seriously injured if he continued with the take off.

olderairhead
10th Jan 2021, 21:52
Full report.

https://www.aic.gov.pg/investigation/643

Mumbai Merlin
14th Jan 2021, 20:35
Rumours abound, that the RAAF C130 that flew to Port Moresby yesterday, 14th Jan, from down south was on the ground POM for a very short time then departed to Darwin. Loose chat in POM say the druggie pilot was being transferred to the Howard Springs facility for CV19 quarantine prior to a Court appearance etc.

Duck Pilot
15th Jan 2021, 08:28
I highly doubt the rumour is true, to many SP beers last night at the Car Club?

Mumbai Merlin
15th Jan 2021, 11:19
DP, always a possibility :}

lucille
16th Jan 2021, 09:53
DP, always a possibility :}

Your rumour may be right. What sane person would want to serve a prison term in PNG? Odds are that many beans are being spilled in exchange for a deportation and subsequent trial in Oz with probably a very light sentence of time already served.

Probably even end up as the resident C402 endorsement training specialist. 🤣

Duck Pilot
16th Jan 2021, 18:50
If correct, it would be a slap on the face for the other Australians who need to pay thousands of dollars to get back home to Australia, also doubt he would need to pay the $2500 quarantine bill.

Let him rot at Bomana.

packapoo
16th Jan 2021, 20:00
That's all he's good for.

Duck Pilot
18th Jan 2021, 09:09
It would be fair to assume that you didn’t get a Christmas card from old mate.....

geeup
18th Jan 2021, 21:19
The National reported on Monday that Cutmore has been charged in PNG and due to face court (in POM) on Thursday.

Magnetomick
19th Jan 2021, 01:29
The National reported on Monday that Cutmore has been charged in PNG and due to face court (in POM) on Thursday.

Link from Geeup’s post

https://www.thenational.com.pg/pilot-charged-in-cocaine-case/

Mumbai Merlin
4th Feb 2021, 20:44
Aust pilot admits offences - The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/aust-pilot-admits-offences/)

Cutmore pleads guilty to Aviation offences.

Two further cases in two weeks regarding the drugs etc

lucille
5th Feb 2021, 18:35
Wheels of justice move curiously.
Being sentenced for not having correct aircraft documents and for operating an aircraft “carelessly”? At one time or other in our careers, more than a few of us could stand accused of similar, albeit in entirely different circumstances and context.

Interesting that they bother pursuing the relatively trivial when there are far, far more serious charges waiting.

Mumbai Merlin
5th Feb 2021, 20:23
You go for the easy one first. That way you can keep the person in custody.

lucille
7th Feb 2021, 21:50
Back in the news in today’s Australian.

Seemingly your man boasted of having done one trip 2018 and got paid $500k. And this particular failed adventure was to be the first of three such round trips for which he was getting $2 million.

Also looks like he has dobbed in at least two syndicate members, Formica and Khoder. Clearly that he’s now not sharing a cell with half a dozen angry and horny highlanders tells us that he has spilled the whole sackful of beans.

Petropavlovsk
11th Apr 2021, 12:03
In what can only be described as the most pathetic example of PNG Justice..... the druggie pilot is free to go

Posted By Staff Reporter : www.pngfacts.comAustralian Pilot Cutmore Fined Under PNGCA Laws (https://www.pngfacts.com/news/australian-pilot-cutmore-fined-under-pngca-laws)10/4/2021

Australian pilot David John Cutmore has been ordered to pay a K37, 000 court fine for breaching PNG's laws under the PNG Civil Aviation Act.
The Central Grade 5 District Court ordered the court fine against the 52-year old this afternoon, (Friday 8th of April, 2021).

Mr. Cutmore was charged with a count of dangerous activity involving an aircraft, and the other count is for acting without necessary aviation documents.

He's alleged to have crash-landed a CESNA twin engine aircraft, while attempting to take off with more than 600 kilograms of cocaine bound for Australia, from a remote airstrip near Lealea Village, Central Province, last year.

Cutmore pleaded guilty to both charges.

The court found that custodial sentence is not appropriate, and that a court fine is appropriate in this matter.

For the first charge under Section 278, Cutmore was ordered to pay a court fine of K30, 000, while for the second charge under Section 280, he was ordered to pay a court fine of K7,000.

Magistrate Alex Kalandi ruled that he will pay a total court fine of K37,000 within a period of 2 months from the day of this order.

The charge under Section 278 (1) (a) of the PNG Civil Act carries a maximum penalty of a monetary fine of K50,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years, while the charge under Section 280 carries a maximum penalty of a monetary fine of K10, 000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months.
NBC News / PNGfacts

Mumbai Merlin
11th Apr 2021, 12:32
Cutmore fine K37, 000 | Loop PNG (https://www.looppng.com/png-news/cutmore-fine-k37-000-99042)

Checkboard
11th Apr 2021, 15:01
That's $13,747.69 AUD, for anyone whe cares to know.

geeup
11th Apr 2021, 23:08
He’s not walking free yet as there are more charges / court to come.

Kagamuga
12th Apr 2021, 00:53
Money will change hands as is typical in PNG.
The authorities don't want him there. If he dies from Covid, the international human rights do gooders will complain.
In the 'National' newspaper there was mention of him having no money to pay the fine. The Aussie TV networks will be lining up for an exclusive deal to tell his story. It would mainly consist of lies. The Italian mob behind the story are not going to allow him to squawk. The end users don't want their dirty washing aired on TV.
There is ample evidence the PNG Police are involved and not for law enforcement.

The present location of the drugs will be largely unknown now; a sample may well have gone to Australia for DNA sampling. The rest is secured for future export/import to Aussie.

Netflix will probably be looking at a Movie; so between the TV's stations etc any monetary fine imposed will be paid quickly; and most likely in Cash.

Probably best if Cutmore keeps away from aircraft at present; but a quick check at my local Mercury marine outboard dealership reveals that this years shopping list includes a 500hp and 600hp V12 outboard engines with two speed transmissions. Mount these on a RIB and there is nothing the Aus Navy can provide for an interception. Forget the RAAF Boeing 737 AWAC's and Poseidon's. The GE Atomic drone wont be in the right station to be of use.....

Never ending story?

Kagamuga
12th Apr 2021, 01:04
The National Mon 12th AprilPilot fined K37,000 after admitting to offencesApril 12, 2021 (https://www.thenational.com.pg/pilot-fined-k37000-after-admitting-to-offences/)The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/author/barivusu/)Main Stories (https://www.thenational.com.pg/category/the-national-sub-class/main-stories/)By BOURA GORUKILA
AUSTRALIAN pilot David John Cutmore was fined a total of K37,000 by the Central Court on Friday after he admitted to entering Papua New Guinea illegally and without proper aviation documents.
Magistrate Alex Kalandi fined Cutmore, 52, K30,000 for a charge under section 278 (1) (a) and K7,000 for a second charge under section 280 (a) of the Civil Aviation Act (CAA).
Magistrate Kalandi said a custodial sentence was inappropriate and sentenced Cutmore based on aggravating factors that:

CUTMORE disrespected the laws of PNG;
DRUGS transported illegally were of high monetary value;
HE landed on a de-commissioned airstrip; and,
NATURE of offences.

“PNG is a sovereign nation and, thus, not appropriate for a person of another sovereign nation to disrespect and undermine the laws of PNG to evade its statutory and conduct business at will,” Magistrate Kalandi said.
“The act performed does not only breach the CAA but breached the sovereignty of PNG.
“Therefore, Cutmore has to pay the court fines in full in order to be discharged.”
He said in the event Cutmore did not have the money to pay the fines, there had to be sufficient evidence to establish that he was not in the position to pay the K37,000.
An alternative would be sought in court when the two months lapsed.

lucille
12th Apr 2021, 11:01
“Land of the Unexpected”?.... Except when there is the remotest possibility of anything dodgy happening at which point it’s best to expect the worst because one is never disappointed.

Interestingly, is this soft treatment because he was being a co-operative informant or was it because of his (indirect?) connections within the PNG elite?

geeup
12th Apr 2021, 12:49
Two weeks time he is due back in court to face criminal charges

https://www.looppng.com/png-news/cutmore-fine-k37-000-99042

Mumbai Merlin
10th Jun 2021, 21:27
Is drug runner Cutmore still in PNG ?

Just curious if he is caught up in the "ANOM" police sting - I don't know if he has access to a cell phone in his jail cell.

SCPL_1988
10th Jun 2021, 22:43
David John Cutmore is like a dumber than dumb criminal who so far has been
lucky.

New Zealand gave him a slap on the wrist for smuggling a flight from Aus to NZ.
He then ratted on his associate and got let off in Aus.

Now he apparently agreed to pay off to PNG some 37,000
and he has two weeks to come up with the cash.

My guess is, that Australia will be hitting him with charges for separate from the PNG
when they deport him.

Now the ANOM was more recent and David John Cutmore would
not have been smart enough to protect his communications.
Odds are he was chattering like a bird
and was watched very carefully before he left and as he left Aus
to the point of watching him shear off a wing tip and then try to take off.

This is an idiot that borders on comical.

Wonder what his former students have to say about him.

geeup
11th Jun 2021, 01:25
Be surprised is he didn’t get COVID in PNG.

Duck Pilot
11th Jun 2021, 09:09
The grub deserves more than COVID. Surprised there aren’t a few angry fellow inmates with bush knives around.

I hope the grub isn’t getting special treatment!

Capt Fathom
11th Jun 2021, 11:27
The grub deserves more than COVID

Why?

What has he done to you?

Duck Pilot
11th Jun 2021, 11:52
Nothing personally, however the wreckage in which illegal drug use is having on the community is devastating and that’s an understatement. Have you ever had a family member or friend been impacted by illegal drug use?

Not to mention the negative publicity in which these people demonstrate to society with regards to professional pilots.

lucille
11th Jun 2021, 18:00
The grub deserves more than COVID. Surprised there aren’t a few angry fellow inmates with bush knives around.

I hope the grub isn’t getting special treatment!

Bad news, Ducky. That he isn’t sharing a cell with 15 highlanders in Bomana for the next 10 years would tell you that he is getting special treatment. You can bet your bottom dollar that there is some ferocious lobbying going on to get him back to Oz under one dodgy pretext or other.
Already his “supporters” are working hard to diminish the severity of his crime, no longer is it a big drug running operation but now just an unfortunate breach of air safety and some minor immigration infringements.

Duck Pilot
12th Jun 2021, 06:51
Absolute greed fuelled by financial reward if they get away with it.

Even if they did extradite him back to Oz, he would probably only do a few years and be back out.

Sad thing is that he was probably a pretty good Pilot before he got sucked into smuggling contraband.

Bit like another pilot I knew years ago who got involved in smuggling contraband, however the authorities nabbed him at Melbourne Airport. https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/597293-usa-aus-ferry-flight-attempt-smuggle-drugs.html The idiot purchased a turbine powered 210 in the states and was going to fly it to Oz loaded up with contraband. Authorities saved his life, as he would have ended up in the drink. Same pilot also owned a 182RG which was destroyed in a suspicious hangar fire at Melton about 20 years ago. I don’t believe the authorities ever convicted anyone for that fire, there were also other aircraft lost in fire and the hangar was destroyed.

Pinky the pilot
12th Jun 2021, 10:30
wreckage in which illegal drug use is having on the community is devastating

I agree entirely. I have seen first hand it's evil, insidious effects!:mad:

In that regard I guess that it's just as well that I am not supreme Dictator of this fair Country of Australia, as my attitude to convicted-without-a-doubt Drug smugglers would be an immediate with no appeal granted, sentence of death.

To be administered by lethal injection of a massive overdose of whatever they were smuggling!

zac21
12th Jun 2021, 10:40
Totally agree with that statement, these drug runners are desperate for easy big money!

geeup
12th Jun 2021, 23:45
If it was easy money.. I’d be doing it 🥳

Magnetomick
15th Jun 2021, 22:35
Daily Telegraph story today around Black flights and references to TSI. Need to subscribe or buy print

Desert Flower
16th Jun 2021, 08:43
Daily Telegraph story today around Black flights and references to TSI. Need to subscribe or buy print

Also in the Adelaide Advertiser with photographs.

DF.

olderairhead
17th Jun 2021, 00:48
From the Telegraph.

True Crime AustraliaPolice & Courts NSW

Drug cartels using Australian ‘black flights’ to bring in cocaine Rogue pilots are flying into unmanned airstrips to bring drugs into Australia, before leaving again loaded with cash, a former border force boss has revealed.

Rogue pilots are flying plane loads of cocaine into Australia on “black flights”, landing undetected on remote airstrips before leaving again loaded with cash.

“Unmanned airstrips are certainly used by drug cartels to bring in drugs,’’ said former ABF boss Roman Quaedvlieg.

“Also there are coastal airstrips which are unresourced and the importers will run the gauntlet, so to speak, knowing that authorities are not as well staffed as bigger airports and believe they can escape detection.”

Sources some of the flights do register as legitimate arrivals on paper, with a low risk to avoid scrutiny.

Planes are known to be modified with extra fuel tanks so they can island-hop from overseas source countries.

Mr Quaedvlieg said the ABF had sophisticated flight trackers deployed around the country but said crews which landed at isolated airstrips knew they could unload the contraband before authorities arrive.

He said there could be no denying Australia received “absolute black flights’’ which logged no paperwork and flew low to avoid radar systems.

In July last year a Cessna twin engine plane crashed near Port Moresby carrying 500kg of cocaine with an Australian pilot who died in the accident.

Both Papua New Guinea and Australian Federal Police believe the plane took off from north Queensland on July 26 and flew at only 3000 feet above the ground to avoid being picked up by radar.

The flight collected the drugs but the plane crashed on it’s return journey.

“The extent of these types of importations is unknown, but this incident tells you it is happening, and it’s naive to think we are on top of it,’’ Mr Quaedvlieg said.

The practise has been going on for years with NSW Police tracking a former CIA plane in 2014 from the US which island hopped across the Pacific before landing in Port Headland where it lodged its arrival with customs. It then crisscrossed the country, arriving empty at Albion Park.

Sniffer dogs and detectors established later there had been a large amount of drugs transported in the plane at some time.

Evidence given in a trial of a member of the Sinola Mexcian drug cartel in the US heard Australian pilots were offered huge money to run cocaine flights in and out of the country.

“Individual A advised that his/her associates were moving millions of dollars per month from Australia to the United States, and that the money was being used to purchase cocaine to be sold in Australia,’’ special agent for the DEA Christopher O’Reilly detailed in a court case against Jose Mares-Barragan in 2013.

“In prior meetings between CS1 and Individual A, CS1 had pretended to be a pilot,” he said.

“Individual A asked CS1 whether he/she was interested in moving millions of dollars from Australia to the United States.”

Duck Pilot
17th Jun 2021, 07:43
Interesting that they stated that old mate died in the 402, let me get filthy rich attempt that went perfectly wrong for all the good reasons!

aroa
17th Jun 2021, 11:59
Don’t think there was too much flight involved in the return !
And the pilot has been reincarnated in POM!
And they don’t just think it came from fnq... they know. There is a vid clip about that shows TSI taxing at YMBA.
300’ sounds more likely for dodging radar ,...what little or none of it there is “up here”..but OTH techno can take care of that.
RIP that lot. Rot In Prison.

packapoo
17th Jun 2021, 22:06
I'd drink to that but doubt it'll happen.
Unfortunately.

chimbu warrior
9th Jul 2021, 06:44
One year on not much has happened. Another adjournment.
https://www.looppng.com/png-news/drug-bust-case-adjourned-102100

lucille
9th Jul 2021, 23:36
Interesting that the prosecutor did not make himself available to the court. Looks like the nobbling process is well underway.

So it will be left to some hapless police sergeant with at best a Grade 9 education to do battle with Moresby’s finest barristers and legal brains and more importantly who will have all sorts of connections to the highest levels of judiciary in PNG. You just can’t get more nobbled than that can you?

The wonderful thing about corruption in PNG is that it is so transparent.

Mumbai Merlin
10th Aug 2021, 02:19
Just a 30 day update.....
Is the cretin still alive in jail?
Covid free and on a diet?

packapoo
10th Aug 2021, 22:19
Interesting that the prosecutor did not make himself available to the court. Looks like the nobbling process is well underway.

So it will be left to some hapless police sergeant with at best a Grade 9 education to do battle with Moresby’s finest barristers and legal brains and more importantly who will have all sorts of connections to the highest levels of judiciary in PNG. You just can’t get more nobbled than that can you?

The wonderful thing about corruption in PNG is that it is so transparent.

Dunno how I missed that one Luce.
Sheer gold!

@Mumbai.
Probably, probably and probably.
The Lord has mysterious ways......

Duck Pilot
7th Sep 2021, 07:32
Bit if an update;
https://www.looppng.com/png-news/cutmore-slapped-new-charges-under-customs-act-104195

Mumbai Merlin
7th Sep 2021, 10:51
Pilot’s case adjournedSeptember 7, 2021 (https://www.thenational.com.pg/pilots-case-adjourned/)The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/author/barivusu/)Main Stories (https://www.thenational.com.pg/category/the-national-sub-class/main-stories/)AN Australian pilot, one of the accused in the biggest drug bust in the country last year, will return to court in two weeks for a ruling on his charge of dealing with criminal property.
His lawyer had opted not to make submissions, but asked the court to consider the content of police hand-up brief and deliver its ruling.
Central committal court Magistrate Alex Kalandi adjourned the case of David John Cutmore, 52, to Sept 23 for the ruling.
Cutmore was alleged to have crashed a Cessna-402 twin-engine during take-off with 611kg of cocaine on board at Papa Lealea village, about 30km west of Port Moresby.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (Casa), through its lawyer, Carol Jaran, moved a motion yesterday to have Cutmore serve a custodial sentence after he failed to pay fines for entering PNG illegally and without proper aviation documents.
Jaran submitted that Cutmore had pleaded guilty to two charges under section 278 (1) (a) and 280 (a) of the Civil Aviation Act and was ordered by the court to pay a total of K37,000 within two months but that had not happened. “We filed a notice of motion on June 29, 2020, seeking two orders under section 167 of the District Court Act,” Jaran said.
Cutmore’s charges under the Customs Act were also adjourned to Sept 23.
He has been remanded at the Bomana Immigration Detention Centre.

Magnetomick
13th Sep 2021, 22:32
To Australia ??

https://www.looppng.com/png-news/drug-case-sent-aus-104133

lucille
14th Sep 2021, 04:02
So what’s the bet for the likely penalty from an Aussie court?

Released on parole for time already served in PNG…. And maybe if the magistrate is feeling particularly vindictive… a good behaviour bond.

Mumbai Merlin
14th Sep 2021, 10:01
Yes; agreed, time served ..

Good behaviour bond is interesting option; the drug owners back in Aus might have other more permanent plans.

First stop after arriving in Aussie is to go to a DAME and renew the Licence and then an IFR check; back in business!

Add Cutmore to the list of disgraced Aussie that have wronged the PNG people; by the way, where is Fred Martens these days?

Mach E Avelli
14th Sep 2021, 10:29
A year in a PNG kalabus would be as bad as 10 in an Aussie air conditioned-all-comforts-provided jail, so let us pray he does another year up there, then who cares if he is set free? His life, and rectum, will never be the same. The only place he would ever be likely to get a flying job would be Burundi or the Congo.

troppo
14th Sep 2021, 10:30
Sarcasm and lack of faith in the PNG judicary may be well founded, but cross jurisdictional prosecution will be interesting.
PNG legislation may be incapable of prosecution, but Australia isn't a prosecutor on PNG's behalf for offences committed in a sovereign nation.
So what offences has old mate committed in Australia that he can be prosecuted for under Australian law?
Just saying...

aroa
14th Sep 2021, 11:27
Intent to traffic in a commercial quantity ? Probably in his favour that he busted the a/c on departure.
Had he turned up back in Oz there would probably have been a reception committee observing the proceedings. And etc.!!
Some vid about of the departure..!

Office Update
13th Oct 2021, 05:14
Drug pilot Cutmore might have some esteemed company in Bomana jail

Sean Honey, son of Tropicair PNG, Managaing Director, Tony Honey (according to Tropicair web site a few minutes ago) has been busted and remanded for drug and fire arms offences in POM after importing large quantities from USA. Sean was also in trouble earlier this year in Cairns when arrested and charged with cooking Meth/Cocaine etc in the quarantine hotel. Magistrate let him off so as not to prevent his PNG work permit being re-issued. Bad mistake!

K90m drug bust in Pom - Post Courier (https://postcourier.com.pg/k90m-drug-bust-in-pom/)
Drug bust – The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/drug-bust-2/)
Australian denied bail – The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/australian-denied-bail/)

lucille
13th Oct 2021, 06:25
Troppo….. I’m not a lawyers arse, but why do you presume that old mate can’t be charged here with offences that occurred outside Australia? (War crimes, human trafficking, etc are)

Mach E Velli…. I don’t believe that puppy has spent one day in a PNG jail, he’s been holed up in significantly more comfortable digs, presumably at Aussie taxpayers expense. Something to do with medical issues , DFATs generosity knows no bounds.

aroa
13th Oct 2021, 12:35
Lucille,
You don’t have to be much for a lawyers arse these days. After my recent episode, I can attest to that !

Mumbai Merlin
2nd Dec 2021, 23:09
Any idea what is the on the Christmas dinner menu in the POM prison cells?
Tinned mackerel and boiled rice?

Duck Pilot
2nd Dec 2021, 23:30
Unfortunately it appears that there may be a couple more Aussie expats joining old mate in the slammer as a result of stupid activities.

aroa
3rd Dec 2021, 07:03
Unfortunately ??. If one dabbles in the drug greed business and is caught….fortunate for society in general and drug users in particular, and they might / should end up in the slammer. Tough bikkies that’s the game they play.

packapoo
3rd Dec 2021, 20:11
Aroa ......

Duck Pilot
4th Dec 2021, 01:41
It’s unfortunate that good people get sucked into the wrong things due to all the wrong reasons. A bit like getting on the wrong train!

aroa
4th Dec 2021, 09:00
C,mon train.! Does one get sucked in to going into the drug greed business or does one step into the carriage.?
Most people know or should know, right from wrong.
Many moons ago I was approached to fly something illegal for bucks, but I declined on the basis that mostly the penalties go to the smaller guys not the Mr Bigs.
Your personal freedom has a price…is it worth the risk.?
I think not. There are plenty of good things in life better than buckets of illegal money.
I rather be flying free than sitting in the calaboose looking out the barred window at other people out there ,up there.
2c

Mumbai Merlin
10th Dec 2021, 20:37
Seems PNG don't want our drug running pilot anymore

Out on bail and home for ChristmasAlleged importer of cocaine worth $160m was granted bailA man who has been held in custody since he was charged over a failed alleged plot to import a huge amount of cocaine into Queensland from Papua New Guinea in July 2020 will be home for Christmas – if Victorian authorities don’t take him into custody.

lucille
10th Dec 2021, 22:29
Surprised?…. Not.

The fix was in quite a while ago. The only real mystery is who arranged the fix and why.

Magnetomick
28th Jan 2022, 03:37
Just finished reading Operation Jungle (ISBN 978 0 7022 6324 8) by John Shobbrook a Narcotic Agent investigating importation of heroin from Asia via POM in 1977. Aircraft used was VH-FAY (flight was by 18/09/77) & VH-ESL. Pilot and courier stayed at Davara Hotel (?now Ela Beach Hotel). Flight stopped at Daru and Daru Hotel stay over. Drugs dropped from the Commanche into Nth QLD. Bulk of the book about the investigation that went pear shaped “ due to high level corruption in QLD Govt. and QLD PF, but a liklik bit about PNG.
Honiara scoped for a potential import location and Noumea was used.
So from prior 1977 to TSI, PNG has been used, that surprised me, but no doubt will not surprise the lapun wantoks here.

Kagamuga
11th Feb 2022, 09:56
Still in Bomana jail

Now he claims medical issues. Going back to Australia not really an option? might be people waiting to have a "chat" Do the "mob" still make concrete slippers?

Convicted Australian Raises Medical Concerns | Loop PNG (https://www.looppng.com/png-news/convicted-australian-raises-medical-concerns-109674)

Duck Pilot
11th Feb 2022, 20:22
The news article mentions that he is serving a 1 year and 7 month sentence? Unless he’s been convicted on other charges he must be nearly due for release.

Assume he would be immediately deported back to Oz to face the music (if any) on release. Doubt the PNG authorities would issue him any kind of visa to stay in country after his release.

lucille
11th Feb 2022, 22:49
From the article, he’s asking the court why he’s being denied the right to see medical treatment in Australia.

I’m sure this same question is uppermost in the minds of every other criminal locked up in Bomana. They too feel that they should be afforded that very same “right”.

But then, old mate really isn’t holed up in Bomana is he? My guess is he’s in some comfortable private guest house provided for by Aussie taxpayers.

Mumbai Merlin
22nd Feb 2022, 22:58
An interesting development; but not going anywhere soon !

Wed 22nd Feb Post Courier.

Lawyer told to fast track case – The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/lawyer-told-to-fast-track-case/)

lucille
23rd Feb 2022, 00:03
According to the article, old mate was unable to pay a K37,000 fine? So now serving 1 year 8 months instead. Curious, no? After all whats that in real money?... AUD$16K... peanuts for your average cashed up trafficker.

Mumbai Merlin
31st May 2022, 03:55
Cairns Post Tue 31st May

The pilot of the Cessna aircraft carrying 549kg of cocaine on an ill-fated trip to Mareeba was allegedly threatened by a rival crime syndicate to pay $400,000 of the $500,000 he earned on a previous drug import, a Cairns court heard.

The first day of what is expected to be a marathon series of committal hearings began against Salvatore Formica, Pierino Forni, Aiden Anis Khoder and George Machem before Magistrate Kevin Priestly on Monday. Formica is charged with importing cocaine and conspiracy to import cocaine. Forni is charged with conspiracy to import cocaine and dealing with more than $1m in drug money. Khoder is charged with aiding or abetting import of cocaine, conspiracy to import cocaine, dealing with more than $1m in drug money, dealing in more than $100,000 that is proceeds of crime, and directing the activities of a criminal organisation. Machen is charged with supporting a criminal organisation.

It is alleged the syndicate successfully imported more than 400kg of cocaine worth $90m from PNG to Mareeba in August 2018 and repeated the exercise in July 2020 with 549kg on board - but the overloaded plane crashed in PNG.

Commonwealth prosecutor Daniel Caruana told the court it was alleged the flight took off from Mareeba, stopped at Coen, then flew low with the flight transponder turned off.

The Court heard that after the crash, pilot David Cutmore, 52 allegedly stashed the drugs in mangroves and arrived at the Australian Consulate asking to be handed over to Australian Federal Police. I has been alleged in previous lodged court documents that Mr. Cutmore was offered $2m for three planned flights. Mr. Cutmore has been charged in PNG with two counts of smuggling prohibited goods. He is NOT facing charges in Australia.

Representing Khoder, barrister Mark Gumbleton cross examined a detective from the Qld Joint Organised crime Taskforce who interviewed pilot Cutmore in PNG. Mr Gumbleton asked the detective if Cutmore mentioned a threat to his life unless he paid $400,000 to a crime syndicate.

The hearing is expected to last eight days.,

Kagamuga
22nd May 2023, 11:09
All the major players that have been caught so far, with exception of Cutmore the pilot, (already sentenced to 18 years in PNG) are now in Cairns Court, starting this week 22nd May.

Mumbai Merlin
20th Sep 2023, 06:35
An update in today's Post Courier. Pilot Cutmore attempting to lodge appeal based upon his medical condition.

Aussie pilot Cutmore to appeal conviction - Post Courier (https://www.postcourier.com.pg/aussie-pilot-cutmoreto-appealconviction/?_gl=1*17vthj5*_ga*MjI5MDE0NTIuMTY5NDEzODc3Mg..*_ga_7VPMWFSC XE*MTY5NTE5MTMxMi44LjEuMTY5NTE5MTQ0Ni4xMC4wLjA.&_ga=2.39153507.1300505726.1695191312-22901452.1694138772)

Duck Pilot
20th Sep 2023, 19:46
Put him on a plane to Cairns and chuck him in jail where he can share a cell with his mates who are locked up.

I’m sure his mates will be able to administer him some good medicine.

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
21st Sep 2023, 02:01
Absolute disgrace, hope they increase his sentence that is what he deserves. But I guess he might even be able to plead mental health problem and be able to have sentence wiped which seems to be the case these days.

Petropavlovsk
21st Sep 2023, 02:50
No mental health issues in PNG. Their country; their laws. No WOKE rubbish in PNG.

Mach E Avelli
21st Sep 2023, 10:12
Put him on a plane to Cairns and chuck him in jail where he can share a cell with his mates who are locked up.

I’m sure his mates will be able to administer him some good medicine.
Absolutely do NOT bring him to a luxurious Aussie jail, funded by Australian taxes. And please, not one hour of diplomatic time spent trying to get him home to serve a typical softcock sentence with early parole.
He is right where he deserves to be. The great shame is that his mates aren't with him to enjoy the delights of Bomana kalabus.

Kagamuga
18th Mar 2024, 01:39
Cutmore’s appeal set for April 25 – The National (https://www.thenational.com.pg/cutmores-appeal-set-for-april-25/)

The lawyer representing Cutmore is lodging an appeal.

Cutmore presently in hospital.

lucille
18th Mar 2024, 23:12
Apparently the basis of the appeal is that 18 years is too much because of his health. So it’s ok for a fit 25 year old to serve 18 years for an identical crime, but not him.

Meanwhile, he’s luxuriating in hospital no doubt on some trumped up medical diagnosis his lawyers arranged and paid for. It’s wonder he hasn’t identified as a woman and checked into the women’s prison.

Do the crime, do the time. He is a disgrace to the profession and should rot in Bomana.

Kagamuga
19th Mar 2024, 00:43
To think in recent times he was a CFI and an ATO at a well known Essendon flying school.

B2N2
19th Mar 2024, 01:22
To think in recent times he was a CFI and an ATO at a well known Essendon flying school.

Not sure if it was mentioned before.
He had earlier run ins with the law in ‘93-‘95

https://d6mljhs7208w9.cloudfront.net/uploads/2020/07/Cutmore-1995.pdf

Kagamuga
20th Apr 2024, 11:35
Mafia payback killings have started; those that let the team down are paying the price.

PNG drug route link to Melbourne mafia murder | Herald Sun (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/png-drug-route-link-to-melbourne-mafia-murder/video/761e64944a413b85ca07d47a52ef8bf2)