PDA

View Full Version : How Access (in and out) a Boeing Dreamliner 787 without external stairs

TangoAir
26th Jul 2020, 14:35
Dear All,
In case you land on an airport that does not have stairs for the 787, is there a way (like on the 747-200) to access from the cockpit to ground up and down?
Regards,
Claudio

Fursty Ferret
26th Jul 2020, 15:50
No.

Caveat: I've never actually tried. Don't think there's access to forward E&E bay from flight deck and if there is I'm pretty sure it would need tools to open the cover. And then it might not be possible to open the door from inside anyway.

flypaddy
26th Jul 2020, 16:32
This came up in conversation just the other day. The guy I was flying with said that on his last trip an engineer did exactly this and came in through the E&E bay and up through the floor.

TangoAir
26th Jul 2020, 16:35
Thanks for your fast anwser F.F.!!!

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2020, 20:05
PPRuNe: 787 E/E Hatch (https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/525372-787-e-e-hatch.html)

ACMS
27th Jul 2020, 08:05
Ummmmmm planning on breaking into a 787 are we? Do we really need to publicize this kind of info?

jmmoric
27th Jul 2020, 10:04
Ummmmmm planning on breaking into a 787 are we? Do we really need to publicize this kind of info?

Overreacting are we?

There's plenty of security around the aircraft to begin with.

ACMS
27th Jul 2020, 13:38
Overreacting are we?

There's plenty of security around the aircraft to begin with.

Oh that’s right no one ever got through Airport security fences did they, mmmmmmmmm. Nah.

Plenty of 787’s parked at quiet remote airfields now, not surrounded by security awake enough to watch em all the time....

jmmoric
27th Jul 2020, 14:34
Oh that’s right no one ever got through Airport security fences did they, mmmmmmmmm. Nah.

Plenty of 787’s parked at quiet remote airfields now, not surrounded by security awake enough to watch em all the time....

Do we really need to publicize this kind of info?

OldLurker
27th Jul 2020, 14:35
In case you land on an airport that does not have stairs for the 787, is there a way (like on the 747-200) to access from the cockpit to ground up and down?To go back to the OP's question: it seems to me a generic one, not only about the 787. Suppose, for whatever reason, you land somewhere that doesn't have stairs for your aircraft, what do you do? You have to get the pax off too, so wriggling through the electronics bay probably isn't an option. Do you just call for help and wait for someone to bring stairs from (possibly) many hours' drive away?
For example, there have been many cases of pilots landing in improbable places by mistake for the runway that they thought they were aiming at. Most of those have been close enough for the embarrassed conversation with the intended destination to include "can you send some steps please?" But what if the landing place was a long way from any steps? The 'Gimli glider' comes to mind.

Some airliners have 'airstairs' that extend from under the forward door – e.g. they are or were an option on the 737, and AFAIR some 737s even had aft airstairs – or ventral airstairs under the tail, such as on the 727 – but they're heavy and I think many operators didn't install them. This question assumes that you don't have airstairs!

jmmoric
27th Jul 2020, 14:40
Agree on that some 737's have airstairs installed, but we've had a few occasions where the airline preferably wouldn't use those... rather wait quite a while until stairs became available (do not have that many, and there were a few aircraft needing them that day)