PDA

View Full Version : Good flying jobs in Africa

armyclimber
26th Jul 2020, 03:11
Hi,

I posted here a few years ago, and here I am years later, still interested in Africa flying.

My question is are there any good Africa flying jobs (offering a decent mix of QOL and pay, not looking to get rich, but make a decent living)?

Everything seems to be entry level.

I’m from Alaska and there are a mix of good and bad flying jobs up there. The same has got to be true in Africa.

I’m a little over 4000 total time, 2500 Turbine PIC split between PC-12 and King Air. FAA ATP. I also have 1000 hours flying in AK, including ski flying.

FWIW I have dual US and UK citizenship but only have FAA certs.

just curious what may be out there for a guy like me. Maybe I’m looking for a unicorn. But can’t hurt to ask.

thanks guys

rcsa
26th Jul 2020, 17:55
I'd say that's a unicorn you're looking for, buddy - certainly this year. You're up against lean, hungry, connected and proficient locals; national aviation authorities that increasingly promote jobs for those local nationals instead of foreigners; a total collapse of the tourist / hunter charter trade; a crash in commodity prices, impacting budgets for extractive industries; and COVID effectively closing borders between African countries. You might find a Nigerian HNW who needs a pilot for his N-reg G7 or Chali, but you don't seem to have jet time. Better stick with what you got, for now.

jetjockeyjoe
10th Aug 2020, 12:00
Does anyone knows about the recent picture? any airlines in any African country started to hire a pilots with low hours?
I've heard that having Cessna SET (Caravan) type rating will be good asset in following months due to possible job offers which my take a place. Is there any hot news?

Climb150
11th Aug 2020, 02:43
So someone just posted 14 days ago that there are no jobs in Africa at all for anyone and you think something changed in 2 weeks?

jetjockeyjoe
12th Aug 2020, 11:51
Can be. Why not?

pineteam
14th Aug 2020, 08:07
From what I have heard in Zambia and Tanzania it's pretty bad. I have friends working there and many guys lost their job... Rough times...:(

Climb150
15th Aug 2020, 00:35
I don't know maybe a global pandemic shutdown?

If there are any jobs anywhere in the world right now, I don't think anyone will be sharing the details on Pprune.

jetjockeyjoe
15th Aug 2020, 00:49
Neither on PPRune nor nowhere one will not share any information. Nowadays all jobless pilots are seeking for a job.

And yes, Although the pandemic, there can be still few offers. It is good that this pandemic didn't halt the internet search availability. Perhaps there are some :)

Climb150
15th Aug 2020, 13:44
In Africa, offers will go to people already in country due to most of the continent having travel bans. The best thing you can do right now is stay at home and ride it out.

jetjockeyjoe
16th Aug 2020, 23:29
I see. However, If you are also looking for a job in Africa, I guess you are a late a bit because best regards from an African country :)

Climb150
17th Aug 2020, 22:30
I don't have to fight for crap jobs in Africa thanks. My current job is fine.

jetjockeyjoe
17th Aug 2020, 23:29
So here are some advises for you
1. To be a gentleman as a pilot is always nice and comes as nature.
2. Jobs in Africa are not crap jobs. They are providing bread for us. We are respectful of those jobs always.
3. If your current is job is fine, and/or If you are not looking job in Africa, you should not occupy this page more.
4. If you are having a job or If you are trying to find a new or better job, use PPRune to help people or have help.

Best regards

Climb150
18th Aug 2020, 02:36
Jetjockey. I usually try and help people trying to get out of Africa. I have worked in Africa and it's usually pretty bad.

When people ask the same thing over and over they need to be told to wake up.

4runner
18th Aug 2020, 04:08
I had the best job of my life in Africa. When the West was laying off employees without compensation, sorry or a thank you for years of service, Africa took me in. Africa gave me a home, an opportunity, a job, a promotion, a pay raise, an offer of citizenship, a thank you, a lot of beautiful women and never asked for anything in return except to be treated as I wish to be treated. Africa made me the aviator and individual that I am today. I’ve been humbled by the humblest of people in Africa and given everything from someone who has nothing. Africa doesn’t need you. Sorry your P2F didn’t pay off Pedro.