PDA

View Full Version : NVFR Circuits with a MECIR

Mach1Muppet
23rd Jul 2020, 07:27
Gday all,

I was just after some clarification on some recency requirements related to NVFR.

I hold a Multi Engine Command Instrument Rating, and am looking to do some night time solo circuits around moorabbin. I do not hold a NVFR rating, however do have the MECIR, at which i have flown at night.

My question first of is, am i even allowed to do night time circuits? or does the CIR only allow NVFR operations only under IFR?

Also, in terms of recency requirements for flying solo if i am indeed allowed, is the MECIR similar to the NVFR ratings recency requirements of 1 T/O and landing in the last 6 months, or is it different?

Thanks,

Mach1Muppet

outnabout
24th Jul 2020, 00:26
All the answers can be found in Part 61.

Mach1Muppet
24th Jul 2020, 00:51
Thanks mate, been having a look but hard for me to decipher correctly, was just after some 2nd opinion on the matter.

Cheers,
Mach1Muppet

BEVLY9
24th Jul 2020, 00:55
A privilege of having an instrument is that it allows you to fly night VFR in the same class If aircraft (multi/single).

However if you only hold the instrument rating and not a seperate night VFR rating then you cannot fly night VFR if you don’t have a current IPC.

As for the currency for night VFR:For night VFR flight CASR 61.965The holder of a night VFR rating is authorised to exercise the privileges of the rating in an aircraft of a particular category only if the holder has, within the previous six months:

carried out the following in an aircraft of that category while controlling the aircraft:

at least one night take-off and
at least one night landing or

been assessed as competent to fly at night in an aircraft of that category by a flight instructor who holds a night VFR training endorsement.

machtuk
24th Jul 2020, 01:15
Easily found!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1504x1828/image_86a3480e533730ae8ea267982656246c65a6d865.jpeg

Mach1Muppet
24th Jul 2020, 01:17
Thanks alot! just after some reassurance as i just didnt want to mix up a NVFR requirement with CIR

mikewil
24th Jul 2020, 13:44
A privilege of having an instrument is that it allows you to fly night VFR in the same class If aircraft (multi/single).

However if you only hold the instrument rating and not a seperate night VFR rating then you cannot fly night VFR if you don’t have a current IPC.

As for the currency for night VFR:For night VFR flight CASR 61.965The holder of a night VFR rating is authorised to exercise the privileges of the rating in an aircraft of a particular category only if the holder has, within the previous six months:

carried out the following in an aircraft of that category while controlling the aircraft:

at least one night take-off and
at least one night landing or

been assessed as competent to fly at night in an aircraft of that category by a flight instructor who holds a night VFR training endorsement.

The above refers to the holder of a NVFR rating, and specifies that one must have completed a night take off and landing in the previous 6 months.

Anyone speculate on what this means for the holder of an instrument rating. Presumably I would be able to blast off into the darkness even if I had not done a night takeoff or landing for a number of years (ie all IPCs being done during daylight for a number of years and all subsequent flying also having been conducted during the day). I know it would not be wise, but the law reads as if I could still conduct night VFR ops under these circumstances.

mustafagander
25th Jul 2020, 10:43
Mach1
I think you'll find that your CIR trumps a NVMC rating. Logic also agrees here. Think about it, you lob into a port in the dark, can you legally do a circling approach and land? How about a departure?
NVMC is meant to be a "poor man's IR" to get you home after last light.

triadic
26th Jul 2020, 04:56
What it also says and has been the case for many decades is that if you operate under the supervision of a flying school you do not need any rating (either IFR or NVFR) to conduct night circuits. (para 2.3.2 refers)

Ted D Bear
30th Jul 2020, 08:34
The above refers to the holder of a NVFR rating, and specifies that one must have completed a night take off and landing in the previous 6 months.

Anyone speculate on what this means for the holder of an instrument rating. Presumably I would be able to blast off into the darkness even if I had not done a night takeoff or landing for a number of years (ie all IPCs being done during daylight for a number of years and all subsequent flying also having been conducted during the day). I know it would not be wise, but the law reads as if I could still conduct night VFR ops under these circumstances.

Yep - unless you're carrying PAX, in which case you must have done 3 take offs and 3 landings at night in the last 90 days