View Full Version : Oman redundancies

gtaflyer
22nd Jul 2020, 19:31
So the reduction at Salam air begins...

Seamin Stains
23rd Jul 2020, 02:18
IT was just a matter of time.!.....Oman Air is slowly imploding....and those who have resisted are left with Scrap!

EchoKilla
23rd Jul 2020, 07:01
so it's Oman Air & Salam Air?

pfvspnf
23rd Jul 2020, 16:49
How many people being let go ?

gtaflyer
23rd Jul 2020, 18:38
I believe about 20 so far in Salam airline

BOEMBUS
23rd Jul 2020, 18:40
Currently 200+ pilots have been made redundant or given early retirement.

Cabin crew in the hundreds too.

pfvspnf
24th Jul 2020, 04:45
is this Oman air or Salam air ?

BOEMBUS
24th Jul 2020, 06:09
Oman air I believe.

Marcus555
24th Jul 2020, 13:52
salam just reduced 10 Capt 10 Fo
not sure about Oman air

Marcus555
24th Jul 2020, 18:21
Salam Air 20 total to start
hunting season begins

Topaze737
25th Jul 2020, 06:30
Oman Air has terrminated around 200 pilots and hundreds of cabin crew.

All terminated pilots are expats, locals are safe.
All expats in the company are on a 80% salary cut while locals have a reduction from 0 to 20% depending on their basic salary.

Airport is still close here and many pilots wait for the opening to leave the country, having to live here with family on 20% pay is not easy.
Oman Air didn't pay contractual school fees neither, maybe they will, maybe they won't, nobody knows as communication is reduced to almost zero.

Marcus555
26th Jul 2020, 00:26
Brace for impact gentlemen

pfvspnf
26th Jul 2020, 13:05
Did Oman Air and Salam air follow a seniority list when getting rid of people ?

Are tourists visas being given out ?

BOEMBUS
26th Jul 2020, 18:28
Topass737: If you are going to make a statement with figures, percentages and grievances, at least have the courtesy of not fabricating and making it sound ever so bad for expats.

First off, it's up to 30% salary deductions for locals and there were old skippers given early retirement too.

That 80% cut has been helped out by loan repayment deferrals, which I belive Oman air worked it out with local banks, granted there were some teething hiccups, but nonetheless was achieved.

The way it was carried out was far more humane and predictable in the sense all over 60s and all that were in the company less than 2 years.

The second wave went yet again to juniority and pilots with high sickness, warning letters and issues with their flying.

No one is safe as you eloquently put it. The whole world is suffering economically, healthily, mentally etc etc

Being shown the door first, is a natural process of elimination when it comes to non-local staff.

Remember all the extra perks that were given all these decades to non locals.

Balanced? Maybe, maybe not..

Either way, we're all in this crazy ride together.
Support one another, rather than start turning nasty, rude, conceited, hateful and talking crap of one's
previous employer wherever that may be.

Zymian
27th Jul 2020, 16:21
Well said.

As pilots and commanders we are professionals and should behave as such.

its sad that the COVID pandemic has hit the industry and the ensuing fallout.

Spreading malicious rumours and bad mouthing isn’t going to help anyone

Xiamen
31st Jul 2020, 22:44

1. The second wave went yet again to juniority and pilots with high sickness, warning letters and issues with their flying.

2. Remember all the extra perks that were given all these decades to non locals.

1. So there are hardly any locals left in the company?
2. What extra perks are you takling about? Housing allowance? Medical cover? The one that excludes any of the good hospitals?

BOEMBUS
1st Aug 2020, 05:21
Hahahaha. You are funny..
How good is the medical coverage back at your previous carrier?

Answer to your petty questions:

1. Poor attempt at sarcasm. Local pilots for the first time ever, outnumber the expats.

You'll probably say, it was for a perfectly good reason.

Yes & no. I'll move on.

2. Schooling allowance, comes to approx $3000/month extra for non locals.
Travelling perks, confirmed business travel even if they've just stepped into the door(higher priority than a local skipper with 40yrs experience) , level 3 english(just), no idea of SOPs, but hey, they're from the west,they must be ace pilots.

-A one off $9000 on arrival to buy personal furniture. That perk has gone now. Boohoo
These are just skimming the surface on differences of perks etc etc

Have a blessed day.

Xiamen
1st Aug 2020, 10:04
My cover was/is excellent. In Oman the expats have to do with second rate clinics, while the locals have access to the best hospitals. This is not wrong for the locals, but it is for the expats.
School allowance does not cover the cost, so money out of the expats pockets. Local have access to local schools. Expats do not.
Setting up life in Oman is not cheap. The entry fees to the schools are huge. The one time allowance covers most of the furniture cost. Not money in the pocket.
Housing allowance does not cover the cost, unless you opt for a substandard apartment/house way out of the central areas. Money out of pocket.

Oman Air is your airline, and if you can run it with local pilots, that is the way it should be. I have no problems with that.
When you talk about getting rid of pilots with high sick leave records, we both know who is on top of that pyramid. When it comes to pilots (and cabin crew) not showing up for the night flights to India, the same applies.
Lets no talk about sub standard performance in the cockpit.

As for expats with poor english skills and poor performance, that is something you should talk to your recruiters about.

Topaze737
4th Aug 2020, 19:22
Topass737: If you are going to make a statement with figures, percentages and grievances, at least have the courtesy of not fabricating and making it sound ever so bad for expats.
First off, it's up to 30% salary deductions for locals and there were old skippers given early retirement too.

Sorry my bad, don't you think 80% reduction compared to the 30% you mention for locals is not bad? only very high salaries have a 30% reduction while ALL expats have an 80% reduction, and this is a fact.

That 80% cut has been helped out by loan repayment deferrals, which I belive Oman air worked it out with local banks, granted there were some teething hiccups, but nonetheless was achieved.
Loan deferrals made by the government, not by Oman Air. BUT deferrals only. What about day to day expenses ?

The way it was carried out was far more humane and predictable in the sense all over 60s and all that were in the company less than 2 years.
Over 60 got a full pension retirement, is that bad?

The second wave went yet again to juniority and pilots with high sickness, warning letters and issues with their flying.
Really, juniority amongst expats only. What about locals with warning letters and bad flying as you say?

Being shown the door first, is a natural process of elimination when it comes to non-local staff.
For once we agree, but no reason to discriminate salaries, benefits.

Remember all the extra perks that were given all these decades to non locals
These perks as you said are contractual, they were agreed by both parties.
You forgot to mention the perks given to locals! (free public school, government dismissal protection, pension fund, fast career progression through an unique home made seniority..

Today Oman Air decided unilaterally to stop “temporary” the payment of the school fees to expats pilots. In a civilized country, a contract has a legal value, it represents an agreement and both parties must adhere to the terms,
it doesn’t seem to be the case in Oman unfortunately or maybe only at Oman Air?
Does Oman Air expects Expats pilots to abide by the rules when they will escape the country in a few weeks?

For sure now the management has managed to split the pilot corp

Windshieldwiper
5th Aug 2020, 05:28
Welcome to the ME

BOEMBUS
13th Aug 2020, 05:38
Topaze737

That was done way back when expats were asking for an even higher education fees for their kids and have the audacity to complain about delving into their precious fat pockets to pay for school fees, which mind you, Omanis have to pay and have been doing so since airline started..

If you'll point fingers and say Omanis get same level of education for free, then you my friend are an idiot.

Why not send kids to a government school back home then? It's free and same education level as the top private schools in your hometown(according to you).

Stop being conceited and get on with your life and be bloody grateful you're not on a repatriation flight with no future aviation-wise, or at least for another 3 to 4 years.

ptyomflyier
9th Sep 2020, 19:23
If you'll point fingers and say Omanis get same level of education for free, then you my friend are an idiot.

I just feel sad that the true colors are finally out. As BOEMBUS has finally said it, we were idiots to think this company would have at least the decency to show up on time for the termination meeting MTG(because they were smart enough to change the code on our rosters so we do not notice it!:) kudos)

On a positive note,(hope all the English 4 level captains, my young and recently upgraded BOEMBUS refers to, understand sarcasm) I wish all the best to the terminated pilots from EY/EK/QR that are welcomed with arms wide open and are currently doing their training, I sincerely wish them all the best and I hope they bring some kind of change and inject a tad of leadership, much needed during these tough times.

MikeCharlie24
2nd Oct 2020, 08:53
I've been in the company for 4 years, and I have 0 sick calls. I've done all my stbys calls flights. I've never refused a flight and always picked up a call from CC. I bet my EOS if there is only one local pilot who can say the same.Besides that, I've been recognized for 2 consecutive years for my performance and given an award, but yes, It's better to have a local second officer who calls sick because it's raining in calicut or there's LVP in Delhi. I got really dissapointed about Oman Air. Not because they terminate expats, that's understandable, but the fact they hired more people after terminations, It makes me realize that there was no need to terminate more people. Like you said, they used the pandemic excuse to get rid of expats. That move was shamefull and believe me, at the end of the day, they will regret it.
I just wish WY all the best, and I hope this re estructuration of the company help them to achieve their goals.

And how the says say..."It's in the bad moments when you really know how people are"

lucille
3rd Oct 2020, 03:18
Is there anybody still at WY from the old Oman Aviation days?

Jack D
3rd Oct 2020, 08:34
It was mentioned that they are simultaneously hiring pilots from EK/EY /QR even as ex pats are being made redundant.

Who are these pilots ? are they solely Omani nationals who find themselves suddenly out of a job at the neighboring carriers ?

Genuine question not trying to provoke argument just curious.

JaymzHoggie
4th Oct 2020, 17:04
Finally some common sense, wisdom and truth.

reyhavok
10th Oct 2020, 11:13
in order to update the aviation community and since Ive discovered that some posts were deleted I will try to be as polite as possible.
i guess it is difficult for some to understand and believe it,
Oman air has decided to fire all expat pilots and hire local pilots, (most of them with far less experience) thats a fact
now , how safe would you guys think the airline is going to be , knowing that pilots are in no need to excel on their duties and resposibilities? they know that they are protected by their passport, they dont need to work hard like most of us have to. "why bother to remember the memory items? no examiner is going to fail me"
would you put your family in that aircraft?
I know i wont

ptyomflyier
10th Oct 2020, 14:55
"why bother to remember the memory items? no examiner is going to fail me"

Oouch, that just simply amazed me every time....

AryanSkipperSir
10th Oct 2020, 15:50
How dare they want to run their own airline?!

Bill Macgillivray
10th Oct 2020, 20:03
You all appear to have a very low opinion of Omanis! If you have worked there and know this is the case - then fine! I worked there for many years (not with WY) but in a flying position, and I found the majority very intelligent and hard working (and also very hospitable!). Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years but I have been back several times and saw little change!

MikeCharlie24
10th Oct 2020, 20:24
Dear Bill, new generation of pilots came with a remarkable lack of skills and knowledge only because they are backed up by their own status of nationals what makes them in some kind ‘untouchables’ so that’s why they think this is just another job. It’s so sad to see on a safety flight how a young local cadet with less than 200 hours total time disrespect his instructor telling him that if he don’t want to sign it, another one will do it.

I can guarantee that 20 years ago, things were different, you can see it on captains of that generation.

JaymzHoggie
10th Oct 2020, 20:45
Dear MC24,

With your vast experience of 4 yrs in Oman and 3 yrs in Copa, do you really think you have the knowledge of world aviation?

You claim as a "fact" that the pilots going to WY are mostly inexperienced.

Are you aware of the content of their log books? Don't think so.
The least amount of hours per pilot coming back is I would say over 10000 jet(zero prop apart from flying school) and up to 30000hrs for the extremely senior skippers.

Your view, amongst others here, is one letter short of dispicable mentality due to the Cov19 redundancies.

Only 8 months back,you & family would have gladly taken a plush flight to your preferred destination, knowing full well there might have been 2 locals flying you on your hols.
No complaints there. If anything, you would have popped in to the FD and did a bit a*#e licking to seem you were all for WY.
Fast forward 8 or so months, you and the others wishing nothing but devastation to Oman air pilots and ipso facto, its pax.

Well done boys, you truly hit the bottom of the barrel.

Wishing nothing but smoking holes in the ground to a company that looked after you better than your home company, otherwise, let's be honest, you wouldn't be working for WY,or maybe none of the other outfits in GCC took you, for whatever valid reason they had.

All in all gentlemen, all are suffering, some more than others, but whatever you do, bear in mind, aviation world is tiny(globally) , your SO/FO today, may be your manager elsewhere another day.

Dreamer787
10th Oct 2020, 21:30
Now you are talking about a different topic ,20 years ago training was different everywhere even in your home country ...its nothing got to do with different nationalities.

reyhavok
11th Oct 2020, 06:45
I honestly think you should breath a couple of times before you post anything, the anger is powerful that is not letting you write proper English and I seriously would like to understand you

first of all, nobody is wishing any harm to oman air. ( do not play the victim)
we are just feeling a great concern. because we saw the experience of the pilots 8 months ago, and we see it now
you dont need to see the number of the logbook, most of us feel the experience of the pilot by their attitude, being on time for sign in, being respectful, being open minded, qualities that im sure youve seen lacking in a lot of pilots.

finally you dont need to threaten anybody,
I hope your dreams come true, i really hope you can become a great manager one day and that you can use all your power to destroy the fellow aviators who disagree with your point of view.

FalseGS
11th Oct 2020, 07:59
On my way out as well. A lot that is being said is partially true.
TBH, most locals don't care, or at best, are unaware of the plight of their expat minions. They live in an entirely different galaxy where their careers and livelihoods are immune to the impact of the pandemic. Their lack of empathy has been the most disheartening experience so far. They have been mute spectators to the shoddy treatment of the expat workforce.

I wouldn't call local pilots incompetent or unsafe. Ofcourse, there are exceptions, as there are with some expat pilots who amaze me by the fact that they have survived this long without bending metal. Most are good operators who will certainly excel in their careers.

But lazy, yes. Flown with enough local FOs who have 'managed' a challenging roster by using more than their fair share of sicks.
Marginal weather, and the flurry of standby callouts is obvious for all to see. The lack of paid labour to do the tougher parts of this job will certainly be a wake up call for them. The learning curve will indeed be very steep for some.

I don't think anyone wishes to see smoking holes. But the general consensus is that the level of safety will decline. `I would attribute that to a certain level of resentment at being made redundant, but you cannot entirely discount the opinion of experience.

I wish them all the best.

reyhavok
24th Apr 2021, 05:57
Good news fellow aviators,
As you can see WY is hiring again, after the company got rid of the unwanted material (300 pilots)
The requirements are quite easy, no need for professionalism. Just be born with the right passport

hopefully they will open the borders for the rest but remember to lower your expectations if you want to join the family!

SVC1972
25th Apr 2021, 11:50
Why would I want to rejoin

ptyomflyier
26th Apr 2021, 01:47
Joke aside, I'm quite curious what is the reasoning behind putting that ad up?

Any of the fine fellows currently still there, wanna give their educated and articulated opinion, BOEMBUS, JaymzHoggie, Dreamer?

Bananair
25th Oct 2021, 03:51
Good news, Oman Air is starting to get Expats back!
Let's hope for the best and wait the email.

ptyomflyier
6th Nov 2021, 02:07
When/Where did you hear that? I know there might be a lot of people out there waiting on that email.

Mark.P.
4th Dec 2021, 20:03
Dear All,
I will start this topic and write the story under the advice of all those people that contacted me asking for info about OmanAir. As it is, they are right, and these things are meant to be shared for the sake of everyone.
I had a long deal of experience in OmanAir and in Oman, a gorgeous country with plenty of beauty and heart, an essential chapter of my life regardless of the experience to be negative or positive, it is an integral part of what I’m am today.
It is difficult to call it a plus or a minus, as I remember many beautiful things and many tough days, but I think I know what I remember most, a harsh lesson learned in a hard way:
Never call home a place where you are considered a guest; never call brothers people that do not consider you a part of the family regardless of what they say in your face.
As an Ex-pat OmanAir first officer, you should know what the deal is before you are invited to join, and if you don’t, you should immediately leave when you understand where the tricks are. I saw many people going just at the end of the two-year bond; I didn’t leave; now I am an old jobless first officer, they are all Captains with promising careers and happy families ahead.
I know, it was my decision and mine alone; I was lazy and naive; I can’t blame anybody else. But it must be said that OmanAir had a significant contribution in my Pilot Career to be majorly compromised.
It was due to Omanization that my upgrade to the left seat was so much prolonged, years and years of tough (very tough) roster commitment and honest hard work, without even the chance for an upgrade, all while watching the endless parade of local cadets, jumping you in the queue and celebrating the 4Th. Bar.
“Omanization” the name of the law that allows them to legally leave you behind, pure discrimination by citizenship/nationality that gives locals the right to take, inside and outside a company, upgrades, benefits, higher rank positions regardless of seniority, all things that were supposed to be shared equally between employees.
They might consider this their right; in 90% of the UN countries, it is “constitutionally” considered a human right violation to discriminate employees of the same company against nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
When the pandemic broke out, locals’ salaries cut was 20%, ex-pats salaries cut was 80%, Omanair started hiring Omanies coming back from other Middle East airlines and fired all ex-pats some months later.
When I now think of all the years in Oman, I sincerely always did my best to respect their culture and religion; I always felt like they really cared about it; year after year, I understood they never respected mine.

ptyomflyier
4th Dec 2021, 21:42
Spot on, but as you said lesson learned.

MissChief
5th Dec 2021, 23:58
Dear All,
I will start this topic and write the story under the advice of all those people that contacted me asking for info about OmanAir. As it is, they are right, and these things are meant to be shared for the sake of everyone.
I had a long deal of experience in OmanAir and in Oman, a gorgeous country with plenty of beauty and heart, an essential chapter of my life regardless of the experience to be negative or positive, it is an integral part of what I’m am today.
It is difficult to call it a plus or a minus, as I remember many beautiful things and many tough days, but I think I know what I remember most, a harsh lesson learned in a hard way:
Never call home a place where you are considered a guest; never call brothers people that do not consider you a part of the family regardless of what they say in your face.
As an Ex-pat OmanAir first officer, you should know what the deal is before you are invited to join, and if you don’t, you should immediately leave when you understand where the tricks are. I saw many people going just at the end of the two-year bond; I didn’t leave; now I am an old jobless first officer, they are all Captains with promising careers and happy families ahead.
I know, it was my decision and mine alone; I was lazy and naive; I can’t blame anybody else. But it must be said that OmanAir had a significant contribution in my Pilot Career to be majorly compromised.
It was due to Omanization that my upgrade to the left seat was so much prolonged, years and years of tough (very tough) roster commitment and honest hard work, without even the chance for an upgrade, all while watching the endless parade of local cadets, jumping you in the queue and celebrating the 4Th. Bar.
“Omanization” the name of the law that allows them to legally leave you behind, pure discrimination by citizenship/nationality that gives locals the right to take, inside and outside a company, upgrades, benefits, higher rank positions regardless of seniority, all things that were supposed to be shared equally between employees.
They might consider this their right; in 90% of the UN countries, it is “constitutionally” considered a human right violation to discriminate employees of the same company against nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
When the pandemic broke out, locals’ salaries cut was 20%, ex-pats salaries cut was 80%, Omanair started hiring Omanies coming back from other Middle East airlines and fired all ex-pats some months later.
When I now think of all the years in Oman, I sincerely always did my best to respect their culture and religion; I always felt like they really cared about it; year after year, I understood they never respected mine.

Sad story. But with a certain inevitability. Locals in the ME outside their own family/ tribe are not to be trusted. Omani/Saudi/UAE nationality means something, especially in their own country, but not everything. Jordanians, Egyptians, Lebanese, Tunisians, etc, etc can struggle outside their own countries. As can Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and the like. Down at the bottom of the list come Western expats, no chance of job security in the ME.. None.

Ramones
11th Dec 2021, 09:03
Dear All,
Standing ovation I could t explain better way.
I was a Captain but treated exactly the same way.
Luckly I had a friend in Emirates for 15 years in the middle east that before joining told me the golden rules:
1 You will be always an expat GUEST
2 The contract doesn't value the paper onto is written
3 it's not and will be never your Home

Mark.P.
22nd Dec 2021, 17:52
Hi Guys, about job security
I have experienced in Oman a formidable ability of Omani employers to “Legally”, change without notice, employment contracts to better adapt their needs to present market demands.

This explains how your benefits, conditions, and restrictions were removed overnight without you even being notified and why they have a formidable and lucrative expat manpower resource.

Of the first contract I signed in the beginning and renewed every two years, barely 50% of it was the actual experience, including omanization restrictions on career progression witch they never mentioned in any contract.
You also have to notice that 70% of that contract was a non-disclosure agreement that forces employees to keep company policies strictly confidential on any level.

What I am writing now is simply a non technical, non safety related truth that shouldn’t be covered by any secrecy whatsoever and, yet, it would have been a termination sentence back then and still could give me troubles, yeap !! I am pretty sure that signature is still well stored in Muscat somewhere.

Either I was naïve to sign that stuff, or the system is designed just for that, to make you sign when you still don’t know and to shut your mouth when you will know.

Back to job security, the deal is ….. swallow-it or leave-it.

The leave-it options include, pay the eventual bond and move back the entire family to wherever you came from.

The swallow-it option is far riskier, in my opinion. It will break your self-esteem, it will have psychological consequences on you and your family and seriously compromise your career.

There is no other option and, mostly, there is no fighting option;

I saw people picking the fight and maybe even winning the first court battle, then being terminated for “safety-related issues” some months later.

I can tell you that only after I have been terminated by them and found my new non-fly job, I have rediscovered the pleasure of being part of a team that does not consider me as a unwanted but needed thing.

I can tell you that now I go to work every morning without worrying about the guy you have to fly with because he could be convinced that his command was given to him by divine right, and he has the right to leave the cockpit during flight without even asking, to go pray, and thank god for it.

I can tell you that now, my salary is half, and my car engine size is one-quarter of what it was; but every Sunday is now a Sunday with my family, my rights are the same as those around me regardless of where they come from, and I don't have sleep in cockpits for three nights in a row 5 times in a month.

My mood is better; my self-esteem is better; my health is better; my family is ok.
When I left Oman, I was scared, angry, confused, and strongly disappointed; it was a tough situation, especially for my kids.

One year later, We found ourselves in a much better place, having never seen them so happy!! I am definitely one step closer to where I really wanted to be !!

olster
29th Dec 2021, 20:52
I would like to make a point which you can take or leave. As much as it is trendy and commonplace to mock and deride the U.K. there is at some level the notion of fairness lurking under the radar. Not always I concede because life is not fair. I have had a couple of gos in the lovely ME albeit as DEC so the upgrade issue was not a factor. However, I hear a lot of noise about the need for localisation in the various well known ME airlines and we all nod our heads in the approved pc manner that of course local pilots of whatever airline should be streamlined into the left hand seat. If you joined British Airways your turn would come up as a function of seniority and competence. No one says let the Brits have the captain jobs first. Fair play? Just saying.

calypso
30th Dec 2021, 05:55
But would a ME citizen be able to get a job permit and join BA?

Potatos_69
30th Dec 2021, 11:48

If you can obtain rights to work in the UK or if BA were desperate enough for pilots that they would sponsor foreigners, yes you would have an equal and fair process to join BA. And once in your command upgrade prospects would be exactly the same as everyone else in the company... According to seniority list position etc etc...

But you are trying to compare apples and oranges I think in this case.

calypso
30th Dec 2021, 15:58
The answer is NO, you are not able to apply. The rest including how wonderfully you would be treated is a hypothetical. A quick glance at the news can give you a fair idea of the welcome many migrants get in the English Channel. I am not the one comparing BTW, the previous poster was.

Mark.P.
11th Jan 2022, 07:34
Of course, it could!!!
If an Indian Native has been appointed as a London Mayor !! (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it) why an Egyptian FO could not apply for BA !!!???
Even in the recent recruitment campaign, BA didn’t put any restriction on citizenship, gender, or color of any sort and I don’t think they legally can !!
BA is already made of an incredible variety of different nationalities on both ground and flight crew environments, and as Olster said, no Brits have any sort of advantage over any other nationality inside the same company.
The fact that some airlines in EU require a right to leave and work in EU before you apply is because they attempt to shorten the time length between candidate application and assessment date as the Shengen clearance application might require some time. so it is just easier to restrict applicants to only EU residents as long as there are plenty of them.
As a matter of fact, during the pandemic HR Cuts, all BA pilots took a 6% pay cut allowing their colleagues to go on early retirement without having to sustain the entire salary benefits losses by themselves. I personally know one of those retirees and he is a Swedish citizen. An example that omanair should definitely follow since they put the entire weight of the pandemic cuts on Expats only.

I don’t see any British students having any priority on any of the numerous omani students in England,

I don’t see any British Uber driver having any advantage over any Lebanese or Afghani uber driver !! They all have the same salary, pay the same taxes, will have the same previdential benefits, and most probably in time, the 2 ex-pats will end up with a British passport !!

Doing some research you might actually notice that some Political currents are suggesting that England should apply to foreigners the same laws that those countries apply to British ex-pats in their territories, ergo, the omanization applied to Brits in oman should be applied to omani foreigners in England as well.

I personally don’t agree with the latter as it wouldn’t bring any benefit to any country in the long run and after all …. we are not Barbarians.
Sure we need to make aware any worker of the actual facts before they sign any contract in those countries that still empowers this kind of practice, I wish I was aware of it before ending up working for omanair.

Maz11
11th Jan 2022, 19:46
Mark.P. I’m not sure where to begin with that post….

Firstly Sadiq Khan is from a Pakistani family, not Indian, and secondly he was born in Tooting, London, so is actually a native of the U.K.

Finally, go have a look at the BA careers website, because whilst they cannot legally discriminate against race, colour, sex etc etc, they can most certainly have ‘Must have the unrestricted right to live and work in the U.K.’ as one of there requirements to apply.

Its there in black and white.

Flaps212
11th Jan 2022, 20:50
well well, it all seems a little tit for tat on this poste.

If im permitted, please let me share my thoughts on the previous post.

First of all Sadiq Khan might be a british national but at the time of his birth in Tooting, both his parents were Pakistani nationals. So one must ask if all the expat pilots whos children were born in Oman have any claim to nationality...then who knows maybe one day be in the Omani govt 😁. anyway i digress..
lets try and compare apples for apples.
Sadiqs father, despite being a Pakistani national was employed as a bus driver in london. The law would have afforded him the same right and job security as his british colleagues. regardless of who was british and who was not. the same goes for BA. you see you might need the right to live and work in the uk to apply, as you do in Oman for that matter. But once you are employed you have the same rights as a British national ie a Frenchman in BA would not be the first to go in a downturn the decision would be based on seniority and not nationality 🤷‍♂️

I cant say i agree or disagree or even care, I just wanted to point out the facts.

Xiamen
12th Jan 2022, 13:29
Children born in Oman from expat parents, have NO right to Omani citizenship.
I do love the talk about company policy earlier. All workers in Oman Air are bound by this policy, but the rules are not available to anyone outside HR. So you do not have any idea what the rules are. Works well. For the company.
It’s a weird place. Go to work, go home, get a phone call from somebody in the company why simply ask you if anything happened on your flight. No, why? Nothing, goodbye.

Beautiful country, great people. Those who are outside Oman Air.

TCAS FAN
12th Jan 2022, 14:41
Children born in Oman from expat parents, have NO right to Omani citizenship.

Furthermore, unless something has changed since the late 80s I do remember reading something along the lines of "Omani citizenship is a priviledge that is only available to those of the Muslim faith"?

BOEMBUS
12th Jan 2022, 15:34
Furthermore, unless something has changed since the late 80s I do remember reading something along the lines of "Omani citizenship is a priviledge that is only available to those of the Muslim faith"?
​​​​​​

Not true at all ..Heard of the Khimjis ? Just one example that disproves your jibber-jabber...

TCAS FAN
12th Jan 2022, 16:15
Furthermore, unless something has changed since the late 80s.......

It appears that it has!

Ma'a Salama!

Flaps212
13th Jan 2022, 12:41
it seems the passing remark i made about citizenship has taken the thread off topic and for that i do apologise.
The main issue that was being addressed was the different strokes for different folks and i guess even that is not solely an Oman problem unfortunately.

On the other hand a know of very few pilots or anyone for that matter, myself included who would renounce their citizenship to aquire an Omani one. despite that being the only way to achive employment equality. And this depite the friendliness of the people and quality of life that comes with secure stable employment.

safe flying to you all..

Mark.P.
13th Jan 2022, 15:21
Dear Maz11 and BOMBEUS,

Let me first apologize to you if you feel in any way touched by the topics we are exposing to the public here, I can assure you that non of this is personal, the main objective remains to inform and share the truth that will help the next ExPat worker to make better choices for himself and his family.

I would love to discuss and learn more about the heritage of the Khan family, unfortunately, I don’t think this is the right place and we certainly are going off-topic so I will try to rephrase to better explain my point.

Let’s assume that Sadiq Khan parents had chosen to migrate in oman instead of England.

what would Sadiq Khan be today?

Where would Sadiq Khan be today ?

Pakistan or India doesn’t really make a lot of difference does it?

Sure he would be back from wherever he came from since would have been too old and worn out to be used as manpower anymore.

I hope you guys see the point now.

And yes again, BA is looking for UK residents, which includes English, omanies, Pakistanis French Italians Americans yellow green black red Muslim Christians, and Martians.

That includes the Egyptian, omanair terminated pilot, working now in England as a migrant uber driver that has the right to apply for BA just like any other British man around, and if successful will have the same rights and working conditions as any other British man around.
Seniority goes up , rank goes up, pandemic breaks, and salary goes down for everyone regardless of color religion passport sexual appetite, or country of birth.

I have been terminated by omanair because of my nationality, not because my resident card was expired or because of my seniority position.

My career progression was denied because of my citizenship, not because my right to work and live in oman was expiring, or because I wasn’t skilled enough.

Do you see a difference? Because if you don’t it really is Jibber-Jabber guys, never liked J.J. BTW.

Once cleared the discrimination by citizenship topic I think we should also start to address some publicly hidden company practices such a Tactical sick Punishments, fatigue issues, and all those dangerous company Policies that affect safety directly, the interest is not only fo future employees but also for millions of unaware passengers that have the right to know.

Bloated Stomach
14th Jan 2022, 10:12
Dear Maz11 and BOMBEUS,

Let me first apologize to you if you feel in any way touched by the topics we are exposing to the public here, I can assure you that non of this is personal, the main objective remains to inform and share the truth that will help the next ExPat worker to make better choices for himself and his family.

I would love to discuss and learn more about the heritage of the Khan family, unfortunately, I don’t think this is the right place and we certainly are going off-topic so I will try to rephrase to better explain my point.

Let’s assume that Sadiq Khan parents had chosen to migrate in oman instead of England.

what would Sadiq Khan be today?

Where would Sadiq Khan be today ?

Pakistan or India doesn’t really make a lot of difference does it?

Sure he would be back from wherever he came from since would have been too old and worn out to be used as manpower anymore.

I hope you guys see the point now.

And yes again, BA is looking for UK residents, which includes English, omanies, Pakistanis French Italians Americans yellow green black red Muslim Christians, and Martians.

That includes the Egyptian, omanair terminated pilot, working now in England as a migrant uber driver that has the right to apply for BA just like any other British man around, and if successful will have the same rights and working conditions as any other British man around.
Seniority goes up , rank goes up, pandemic breaks, and salary goes down for everyone regardless of color religion passport sexual appetite, or country of birth.

I have been terminated by omanair because of my nationality, not because my resident card was expired or because of my seniority position.

My career progression was denied because of my citizenship, not because my right to work and live in oman was expiring, or because I wasn’t skilled enough.

Do you see a difference? Because if you don’t it really is Jibber-Jabber guys, never liked J.J. BTW.

Once cleared the discrimination by citizenship topic I think we should also start to address some publicly hidden company practices such a Tactical sick Punishments, fatigue issues, and all those dangerous company Policies that affect safety directly, the interest is not only fo future employees but also for millions of unaware passengers that have the right to know.

I think you are confusing yourself with ethnicity and nationality. Ethnicity has zero correlation with nationality. You either are or are not a citizen of a country. With citizenship, you have benefits. Unfortunately, you are not a citizen of Oman and therefore, do not have any rights or priority of employment. Although I am against a few practices in the Middle East, I think this is spot on from the Omani government. Support your own first and deal with the rest later.

FlightDetent
15th Jan 2022, 01:26
I think you are confusing yourself with ethnicity and nationality. No, he is not, and unlike before this time makes his point very clear.

​​​​But I still think it is you who got it right and it is exactly as simple as that.

The rules explained so well about equal opportunity arrangements in the UK just don't apply in most other places. At all.

Let alone when state owned companies are involved, the citizens have the right of way. Can't really blame government decision makers for protecting their own.

On top of which any bureaucrat worldwide will foremostly focus on avoiding responsibility and the very next step is to support his own seat by serving his peers and bloodline first.

Applying discriminate filters for aliens (nationality but many times ethnicity too) is part of culture in a broader sense, and those do differ. Not calling good or bad here, it is apples, oranges, pomegranates, dragonfruits....

​​​​​

Mark.P.
17th Jan 2022, 10:03
“Taking care of your own first”

In my oman experience, I found out that the way we understand and interpret this statement is the very cultural barrier I have personally experienced between the Middle East and the Western World.

Not the religion nor the food or the language but the way we were educated in considering and interacting with different ethnicities, nationalities, and religions around us.

When a government grants its citizens financial help in case of prolonged periods of unemployment or health care benefits for the financially weak sectors, that’s taking care of its own and I agree 100% that every citizen should knock on the door of his own government when it comes to that.

When a government grants a white man the right to sit on public transport over a black man, that is a completely different scenario gentleman, and if we don’t agree on that I am sorry to say that you are not worthed my time in this conversation.

Although this is a very broad topic that could have a variety of cases, we can affirm that when a government welcomes an individual into its society either through residency or citizenship it must grant him the same social status as any other member of the same society, exemptions will be made for members of ruling governments, ruling royalty, diplomats, political refugees, etc. etc. but for all the others, the law is the same for everyone and it is applied in the same way to everyone.

Granting inside a closed society, one ethnicity or nationality with social advantages over and on the expenses of another ethnicity or nationality is a barbaric practice well known in the past in many parts of the world, and if combined with a physical restriction of movement of any sort it is in fact the very definition of slavery, or as somebody might see it, taking care of its own first.

50% of what was described in this last paragraph happened to me personally in oman when, due to my nationality, I was denied my career progression for the advantage of another nationality, I never asked the oman government for government pension or for unemployment benefits, as a matter of fact, is not even about money but about the undeletable scar, these people left on my dignity.

So the way I see it the confusion is not about Nationality Citizenship or Ethnicity or which benefits should be granted to you, it is about the definition we have of the statement “taking care of its own first”.

Taking with arrogance the rise from your neighbor plate to double your meal is greed, not taking care of yourself first, being justified in doing so by the fact that he is of a different ethnicity nationality or citizenship is racism, be legitimate in doing so by your government as long as you do it inside the borders of your country it is barbarism and slavery, not taking care of your own first.

This is the way I was educated to consider and interact with different nationalities and ethnicities around me, as persons just like me with the same exact right for the same fair chance.

This is my culture and I claim the right for it to be respected the same way I respected the omani one, but, unfortunately, it seems we have different definitions of “reciprocal respect” as well

Bananair
20th May 2022, 02:40
So Mr.A is receiving expat CVs for a new chapter at WY… Only PICs…

Reims_Rocket
18th Feb 2023, 05:58
Anyone is interested to rejoin? They need you back...60 of you

ptyomflyier
7th Mar 2023, 11:41
60? I would think it is more than that given the fact they are recruting skippers to the 330!!!!!!! I'm sure some around are not very happy with that management position.

Wy currently isn't the most attractive option out there, not just because of the way things are ran, but also because the previous package expats had isn't there, yet...

c560xl
8th Mar 2023, 03:45
Any body got an interview call for A330 Captain position ??

sluggums
8th Mar 2023, 11:52
Not yet. Got sent an excel sheet to fill in my flying details etc. after I filled in the online stuff. Sent it about 2 weeks ago, no response so far.

fareez36
9th Mar 2023, 10:38
60? I would think it is more than that given the fact they are recruting skippers to the 330!!!!!!! I'm sure some around are not very happy with that management position.

Wy currently isn't the most attractive option out there, not just because of the way things are ran, but also because the previous package expats had isn't there, yet...

What actually they offering now for expats? Any idea?

Bananair
12th Mar 2023, 01:37
Basic salary + home allowance… and a bunch of Night flights. No school allowance and no furniture allowance. No more re joining so expect a lot of new ones.

FMCspeed
12th Mar 2023, 20:38
What about FO salary and time for upgrade?

Propnwings
14th Mar 2023, 19:15
Basic salary + home allowance… and a bunch of Night flights. No school allowance and no furniture allowance. No more re joining so expect a lot of new ones.

No school allowance? That is weird for a middle east company…
Any idea about the primary school fee for an American school? Thank you

Propnwings
14th Mar 2023, 19:17
Any body got an interview call for A330 Captain position ??
I applied about 3 weeks ago and the automated email said that the shortlisted candidates would be contacted within 2 weeks. Then last week just before the 2 week period ended, they resent the same email