PDA

View Full Version : Group flying for hour building?

The Diggler
15th Aug 2002, 14:30
I am a PPL living in the South and looking to progress to my ATPL next year. In the meantime I am looking to keep the hours "building" in my log book up to the 150 mark.

Can anybody share their views on using a group for this purpose as some seem very good value for money. Does anybody know a group in the South with good availability that have a share available at the moment (say C150 or C152??)

foghorn
15th Aug 2002, 15:53
Many people have used this route for hour building, and, if you choose the right aircraft, it can work out much cheaper and much more convenient than overseas hour building. Permit To Fly aircraft are particularly good for this.

In fact there are some people who have built to 1,000 hours after their CPL in single seater permit aircraft based at zero landing fee strips. If you're in a well-paying job this can actually work out cheaper than instructing when you look on a lost income basis and you're happy to go at it hammer and tongs over a couple of years around your day job.

One to watch for is minimum hours as some groups will not accept people with less that 100hrs TT (due to punitive insurance premiums).

cheers!
foggy.

Bob Down
15th Aug 2002, 16:25
Hey Diggler,

A good way of approaching hour building!

A friend of mine is a member of a 150 syndicate based at Shoreham, and he's been successfully building hours that way.

I think they may have shares available if you're interested.

Let me know, and I'll put you onto him.

Cheers,

BD

The Diggler
15th Aug 2002, 16:31
Bob,

Do you know how many shares there are in the group.

Also an idea of cost and availability would be good.

Cheers,

Diggler

A and C
16th Aug 2002, 07:51
Check your email mate !

BroomstickPilot
16th Aug 2002, 08:15
Diggler,

If you look for a group through Pprune, you could end up joining one that may be a long distance or an inconvenient journey from home. This will also put up the cost and make you reluctant to set out on marginal days when the wx just might or might not improve enough to fly.

May I suggest that a better way might be to visit clubs close to home on a frequent basis for a period of some weeks just to read the members' notice board. That's where the shares are always advertised first. You will also get to know what aircraft are based at these clubs.

It may well be worthwhile approaching a group that has a full house of members. If they like you, they may well make room for you. Group numbers, after all, are not set in stone.

A final word. Make sure you find out how easy it will be to dispose of your share when you no longer have use for it.

Best wishes,

foghorn
16th Aug 2002, 08:19
A good final point, BP. The market for aircraft shares is very sluggish at the moment. Two groups that I am connected to have had five shares in different a/c for sale for five months now and only two have sold.

cheers!
foggy.

The Diggler
16th Aug 2002, 08:44
Thanks for all the gen.

A and C

No email received mate, try again.

Bob Down
16th Aug 2002, 10:14
Diggler (didn't I see you in a film once ;) )

As far as I know, my mate's group is made up of 12 people, is about £2000 up front, £70 a month and as much flying as you want (within reason!)

If you're interested let em know, and I'll put you in touch with him.

Rgds

BD

A and C
17th Aug 2002, 10:17
Diggler I,v re sent the email if you did not get it contact me at.

[email protected]

Regards A and C