PDA

View Full Version : Over 60s Package Rumour

D.B.er
20th Jul 2020, 23:14
Anyone heard about a possibly imminent announcement on a package to encourage over 60s to go?
Specifically any ideas on WHEN it might be announced?
I am KA and have 3.5 months UPL starting 1 August, but I would delay my flight from HK to finalize my situation here as then would not need to come back and isolate in order to pack up my affairs.
Standing by for incoming....

cxorcist
21st Jul 2020, 03:19
Anyone heard about a possibly imminent announcement on a package to encourage over 60s to go?
I am KA and have 3.5 months UPL starting 1 August, but I would delay my flight from HK to finalize my situation here as then would not need to come back and isolate in order to pack up my affairs.
I sure hope so. This would be best for everyone. Of course, knowing CX, it will be a silly pittance that won’t entice very many.

MENELAUS
21st Jul 2020, 03:48
I sure hope so. This would be best for everyone. Of course, knowing CX, it will be a silly pittance that won’t entice very many.

Yes the very fact that they chose to rewrite the loss
of licence provisions several years ago, reducing at age 58 to zero at age 60 doesn’t bode well, and shows where their thinking lies. It will, I suspect, be desultory at best.

Memorylapse
21st Jul 2020, 03:56

From a good source the package is not for over 60’s, but from 58 up.

Farman Biplane
21st Jul 2020, 06:08
I have heard that this package is only available to those ex A Scalers of KACX who have never been fairly remunerated for their contributions to this world class airline.

Oasis
21st Jul 2020, 12:39
I remember A scalers, some would carry a little picture book with them in their flight bag, displaying all the toys they had; sports cars, aeroplanes etc. (this was before smartphones) They would whip it out at any opportune moment.
All very fascinating to a B scaler(, and now it makes me wonder if the B scalers are doing it to the LEP's? )

When I think of them, I don't get the feeling they were not fairly renumerated....

Flex88
21st Jul 2020, 15:03
I remember A scalers, some would carry a little picture book with them in their flight bag, displaying all the toys they had; sports cars, aeroplanes etc. (this was before smartphones) They would whip it out at any opportune moment.
All very fascinating to a B scaler(, and now it makes me wonder if the B scalers are doing it to the LEP's? )

When I think of them, I don't get the feeling they were not fairly renumerated....

And since that time, B, C, D, E ∞ scalers (incl the AOA) have apathetically acquiesced to the point of accepting living in 600 sq. ft. flats (or in their parents closet) and now proudly show pictures of their brand new Lada, Chery or PS5 !!
The sad part, 25 years and not even 1 serious offer from CX or resolution/vote from the AOA; simply and credulously meandering towards career and industry self oblivion... Enjoy.

Vtwin
22nd Jul 2020, 00:52
You can be certain that if any Brit or Aussie ends up actually having a package it will undoubtedly be a very small one.

D.B.er
22nd Jul 2020, 01:16
From a good source the package is not for over 60’s, but from 58 up.
hi Memory lapse, did your source know when this might be offered?
thanks

Pickuptruck
22nd Jul 2020, 01:27
So that would be everyone 7 yrs to retirement, so aged 48 and up if you're COS99. I have it on good authority most on COS99 are itching to go at 55 anyway if not before......

fly1981
22nd Jul 2020, 01:33
I would be very surprised if they limit it to 58 and above, the biggest cost saving is going to come from encouraging expensive crew to leave, many in their late 40’s early 50’s that joined in their 20’s would be happy to go... obviously provided the package offered is reasonable.

Memorylapse
22nd Jul 2020, 03:48
hi Memory lapse, did your source know when this might be offered?
thanks

Did not mention something specific, but by the sounds of it over the next few weeks.

Flex88
22nd Jul 2020, 04:02
I would be very surprised if they limit it to 58 and above, the biggest cost saving is going to come from encouraging expensive crew to leave, many in their late 40’s early 50’s that joined in their 20’s would be happy to go... obviously provided the package offered is reasonable.

JFC, I'll be very surprised if there's a choice... Open your eyes !

FlyingNun
22nd Jul 2020, 05:21
D.B. er: I would travel if I was you, as any announcement is not due until the earliest September, even then, the notice is six months. So unfortunately you have to get back.

Any VR package announced must not specify age, so likely to be called “Early Retirement Package”. The days of golden handshakes have well and truly gone.

Reading those posts and other threads where people are expressing opinions of what might CXKA do, reminds me of a great saying by the greatest Clint Eastwood... “Opinions are like ass*oles, every one has one“

Stay well everybody, tomorrow will be bright.

Jn14:6
22nd Jul 2020, 08:35
Yes the very fact that they chose to rewrite the loss
of licence provisions several years ago, reducing at age 58 to zero at age 60 doesn’t bode well, and shows where their thinking lies. It will, I suspect, be desultory at best.

Unless LoL has changed in the last two years, it goes to age 65.

MENELAUS
22nd Jul 2020, 09:34
Unless LoL has changed in the last two years, it goes to age 65.

Is that the case. I thought they’d reduced it in Cos 08 to 60, diminishing to reach nil from age 58. ?
Can you find the reference ?

Bekol delay
22nd Jul 2020, 10:13
You are right about Cos 08, 58 reducing to nil at 60.

MENELAUS
22nd Jul 2020, 11:14
You are right about Cos 08, 58 reducing to nil at 60.

Yes. Some confusion. The schedule Contained in CX Flight Crew loss of licence information states loss of licence to age 65.
Veta Cos 08 states the diminishing amount from age 58 to 60 etc. As does the AOA info.
I seem to recall it was one of the changes brought about under AT’s tenure. Needs clarification though.
That said probably rendered somewhat moot if they are insolvent and can’t pay it !!

22nd Jul 2020, 11:43
As a recipient, I can confirm it is (was?) to age 65, ie; 63 diminishing toward 65. The amendment was part of a pay award way back, 2015. However the company 'forgot' to include it, as promised, in the CoS08 wording. It is (was) however, actioned as I and several others have proven.

MENELAUS
22nd Jul 2020, 12:16
As a recipient, I can confirm it is (was?) to age 65, ie; 63 diminishing toward 65. The amendment was part of a pay award way back, 2015. However the company 'forgot' to include it, as promised, in the CoS08 wording. It is (was) however, actioned as I and several others have proven.

Thank you. Happy to stand corrected. Cheers

Pickuptruck
22nd Jul 2020, 14:33
Thank you. Happy to stand corrected. Cheers
Nothing to do with a flood of guys about a decade ago all dropping out due medical at exactly age 60 to pick up 5 yrs paid holidays before proper retirement at age 65? Noooooo, of course not.

MENELAUS
22nd Jul 2020, 15:11
Nothing to do with a flood of guys about a decade ago all dropping out due medical at exactly age 60 to pick up 5 yrs paid holidays before proper retirement at age 65? Noooooo, of course not.

Hmm. Not sure about 5 years. Is the payout not 24 months ? . The AOA scheme sold out the older guys some time back, thereby preventing people from paying to increase their own cover. And the majority of the demographic of people claiming ( which led
to the insurers not wanting the business) was not at the upper end of the age scale as I understand it.
No one is advocating claiming it unfairly. Just trying to clarify what the rules actually say. As it’s far from clear.

deja vu
23rd Jul 2020, 13:19

You are right of course.
I like to think of them as A graders and they were adequately rewarded until ....well, a new grade of applicants arrived, these new applicants also got what they deserved.

ACMS
23rd Jul 2020, 13:48
See that’s the problem right there........I’m not an A scaler but I don’t begrudge them their income for one second......They joined at the right time and we didn’t........get a life and stop being so bitter and twisted......remove that chip on your shoulder and stand up.

23rd Jul 2020, 16:23
LoL definitely 24 months, not 60 months.

Oasis
23rd Jul 2020, 23:55
See that’s the problem right there........I’m not an A scaler but I don’t begrudge them their income for one second......They joined at the right time and we didn’t........get a life and stop being so bitter and twisted......remove that chip on your shoulder and stand up.

And I never begrudged them either, good on them. I was responding to an earlier post that said that a-scalers were not fairly compensated.

spleener
24th Jul 2020, 03:40
And I never begrudged them either, good on them. I was responding to an earlier post that said that a-scalers were not fairly compensated.

"I remember A scalers, some would carry a little picture book with them in their flight bag, displaying all the toys they had; sports cars, aeroplanes etc. (this was before smartphones) They would whip it out at any opportune moment.
All very fascinating to a B scaler(, and now it makes me wonder if the B scalers are doing it to the LEP's? )"

Err yeah. A very small minority 'A scalers' carried a picture book in my experience. Same as now, a very small minority of B,C,D etc are tossers. Anyway, last A scale salary was paid in 1999, over two decades ago: before some crew were born..... let it go.