PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast new runway approaches?

Ascend Charlie
18th Jul 2020, 01:30
I thought that the new 31/13 runway at Sunshine Coast was in use, saw the lights on last night, but when I look at AsA approach plates, there are none for the new runway, only the old ones for 18/36.

Are there some secret approaches out there, only visible to those in the know? An approach using VOR 36 wouldn't be much fun with a 50 degree turn on short short short final for 31.

Capt Fathom
18th Jul 2020, 02:24
It's no secret.....

AIP SUP H31/20 (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/sup/s20-h31.pdf) has the details in effect from 20th May 2020.

Ascend Charlie
18th Jul 2020, 05:33
Thanx Cap'n, been out of the loop for 6 years.

neville_nobody
18th Jul 2020, 09:32
What happened to the ILS which was part of the original plan? To much whinging from the NIMBYs?

Ascend Charlie
18th Jul 2020, 11:22
Most of the ILS whingeing I heard about was for the Gold Coast. Never heard it mentioned up here.

18th Jul 2020, 12:13
Nah, could not have an ILS approach onto 13 as it would be into the wind on the days that you need an ILS.
Perfect example is Brisbane.
Crapp!est weather is from the SE.

mates rates
18th Jul 2020, 23:24
I cannot believe they decommissioned 18/36.This will really curtail flight training where the southerly winds and the summer north easterlies prevail.The crosswinds on 13 will be interesting with the Mt.Coolum effect.

lucille
18th Jul 2020, 23:53
I’ve happened to see two approaches recently. Out of curiosity does no one fly CDAs here in Oz? Also as a pax here I’ve experienced a lot of level segment flying even with two stages of flaps extended.

Is it poor quality ATC that’s forcing everyone down prematurely?

morno
19th Jul 2020, 01:32
I’ve happened to see two approaches recently. Out of curiosity does no one fly CDAs here in Oz? Also as a pax here I’ve experienced a lot of level segment flying even with two stages of flaps extended.

Depends on where exactly the level segment is, and what type of aircraft. In a jet people could simply be using it as a deceleration segment before the final descent. Otherwise the general consensus is everyone does fly a CDA.

ATC in Australia is definitely not poor quality. Try flying overseas in some third world countries and then tell me Australia has poor ATC :ugh:

Capn Bloggs
19th Jul 2020, 03:10
I thought that the new 31/13 runway at Sunshine Coast was in use, saw the lights on last night, but when I look at AsA approach plates, there are none for the new runway, only the old ones for 18/36.

Are there some secret approaches out there, only visible to those in the know? An approach using VOR 36 wouldn't be much fun with a 50 degree turn on short short short final for 31.

It's no secret.....

AIP SUP H31/20 (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/sup/s20-h31.pdf) has the details in effect from 20th May 2020.

Thanx Cap'n, been out of the loop for 6 years.
You can thank some non-pilots in ASA and CASA for deciding to remove flight-critical AIP SUPP headers from the Location NOTAMs after 14 days, forcing us to regularly peruse the ASA website (List of current SUPPS, currently running at 86 SUPPs for this year alone!). :ugh:

Mr Approach
19th Jul 2020, 04:59
Hi Lucille,
Airservices has always pursued the "push inbounds down" philosophy, even in Sydney which is the closest an Australian airport comes to the "bedpost" system used at most busy airports in the rest of the world. This results in the level arrival segments you have identified but also long departure tracks. These are required to get the departures above the arrivals.

Elsewhere in the world you will have experienced the much neater "bedpost" system which keeps inbounds high, typically 10,000 and feeds departures out underneath them, typically 7,000.

I think the reason for Airservices' habit is their access to vast amounts of airspace and total disregard for other airspace users (mainly VFR) and other non-revenue generating (for Airservices) aerodromes. The RAAF has a similar philosophy which can be seen by the enormous amounts of airspace they demand for an air force hardly the size of a USN carrier air wing!

19th Jul 2020, 12:02

Dragging our @$$ over Sydney at 3000ft with a fist full of power while on approach from the North when we could have went over the top at 12,000 at idle out and back to land 34L with power coming on at 1000ft.
When? Not middle of the day but middle of the night!!

Pearly White
20th Jul 2020, 02:08
Dragging our @$$ over Sydney at 3000ft with a fist full of power while on approach from the North when we could have went over the top at 12,000 at idle out and back to land 34L with power coming on at 1000ft.
When? Not middle of the day but middle of the night!!Yeah, but noise sharing around the electorates...

lucille
20th Jul 2020, 20:52
Depends on where exactly the level segment is, and what type of aircraft. In a jet people could simply be using it as a deceleration segment before the final descent. Otherwise the general consensus is everyone does fly a CDA.

ATC in Australia is definitely not poor quality. Try flying overseas in some third world countries and then tell me Australia has poor ATC :ugh:

Probably if you read my post and noted that on occasions I’ve seen two stages of flap and flying level - hardly a deceleration phase for you jet jockeys.

ps.. 20 years based in the ME and six in HK count for enough overseas experience for you?

Capn Bloggs
21st Jul 2020, 02:01
Probably if you read my post and noted that on occasions I’ve seen two stages of flap and flying level - hardly a deceleration phase for you jet jockeys.
Flying level with two stages of flap (whatever that means, do you mean slats plus the first stage of trailing edge, or what?) means you're about to land. There is no airspace in Australia which requires a [insert aircraft type here] to fly a level segment with two stages of flap.

Instead of just jibing, how about giving some more details. At the moment you are sounding like an enthusiastic amateur, as indicated by your comment "you jet jockeys".

Bodie1
21st Jul 2020, 02:15
"you jet jockeys"

Don't be such a petal Cap'n.

cessnapete
21st Jul 2020, 17:38
I’m surprised at the high minima shown. Are GNSS LPV approaches not allowed ? Usually CAT 1 limits 200 ft.

Check_Thrust
21st Jul 2020, 20:37
I’m surprised at the high minima shown. Are GNSS LPV approaches not allowed ? Usually CAT 1 limits 200 ft.

Unfortunately GNSS LPV does not exist in Australia. Maybe one day in the future if/when we eventually get a SBAS.