PDA

View Full Version : NOT the Weekly Update

Kendra689
17th Jul 2020, 20:33
Hello everyone,

My name is Brain. You may remember me from pre-Covid times and then again maybe not. After all I really only arrived here yesterday.

But just to refresh your memory as it seems I haven't lost my job, I pride myself on communications, experience relevant to the task and being data driven deciding important issues.

We've not had a Flight Ops Update in a few weeks and as you can see there are a number of operational articles to get through that are worth taking the time to read.

However I will address none of those.

Not the infection rate of crew we rostered repeatedly into hotspot cities, not the resistance by myself and others to preventative measures or testing when requested by crew who knew they were infected. Certainly not the fact we crewed infected staff with others after being told of their condition.

You may even remember my helpful reassurances, "it's just a bad flu", or "there is no pandemic" even after the WHO thought otherwise? It's all there in my previous newsletters should you doubt.

Definitely I won't be mentioning the abrupt termination of thousands of your colleagues. That would undo the efforts of not communicating at all these past weeks.

Hopefully though you will be distracted as I display an image of an A380 doing circuits, probably on autopilot for the most part, over Dubai.

By using SIMs, aircraft training and some positioning sectors we will slowly build up a group of line current pilots ready for any operational requirements. How good is that?

Did I mention we recently had a group of 'line current pilots' that we used to keep our financial bottom line alive?

By operating freight charter flights into China, Italy and any other Covid radioactive site you can imagine throughout the worst of the global pandemic: and required them to self-isolate from everyone for months while doing so?

Well we fired them. Which is why we need to build up a new group that we will continue to praise and thank for doing all the risky work, just as we did to those guys.

There’s no doubt that it has been a difficult year so far for the industry generally. 2020 has, so far, been a year none of us could have predicted.

How this has impacted Emirates is something Corp Coms will explain in due course, the update only covers operational matters.

Well, not really.

It actually will emphasise how to turn your iPad on and off, update your OPT and tell you to watch videos outlining how I have approved increases to your FTL workload without any mitigating fatigue management, route testing, scientific input or consultation (I just added the last to show you what a sense of humour I have).

I definitely won't be addressing the loss of consciousness by a Captain on approach to Dubai after a LHR turnaround (see how just calling it a turnaround already makes it seem normal practice?), or the fact that I have overseen the shredding of the airlines operational capability through random termination. Despite touting data driven outcomes it seemed more effective to use no definable matrix (and was more in keeping with the selection process for my own appointment, that is, puzzling to all). Also it keeps the rest of you continually guessing which makes my job easier again. Yes, I know it adds to stress levels, but that's a small price to pay for easing the management burden.

Both Chief Pilots have written pieces in the update that show how the two fleets have had very different focusses over the last few months. Naturally I have directed them to say nothing of relevance.

As pilots it’s more important than ever to focus on the core flying task when operating and to continue to prioritise the high standards of operation we are used to.

Why it's more important I have no idea. It just seems like the gung ho motherhood statement you've come to expect of me. Those of you who identified that there is actually never a 'BETTER' time to operate professionally are missing the point; that I have a word count to fill.

There are a lot of changes to keep up with, COVID19 has changed the way we do business so please do take the time to review all published material, prepare thoroughly for any training you are rostered to complete and when rostered to fly I hope you enjoy it!

I know I've done my part to reassure, motivate and empower you and may even resume regular newsletters (subject to future terminations, in which case probably not). Next week I will explain how to get the best out of SAFAR, repeat the list of admin contacts who never respond to your queries and outline the best discounts in the Emirates store.

Until then I remain both your SVP-F and your first line of defence while doing your job (see I told you I had a sense of humour lol).

P.S. Don't trouble yourself with learning the FTL's, they're 'flexible'.

SOPS
18th Jul 2020, 02:14
Simply brilliant 😂😂😂

EchoKilla
18th Jul 2020, 03:09
Wow :D 😂 😂

uplock
18th Jul 2020, 03:21
Good Work Kendra, you nailed it.
Can you write up one about STC and how his Fuel Hedging at the start of 2020 lost more than 1 Billion AED , Gut Feeling that has nothing to do with food, Tendency to Over Order large 4 engine Aircraft, Tendency to cancel orders for 2 engine Aircraft, inability to communicate with Staff and constant need to Zoom,Skype, You Tube,Video Conference,be interviewed by BBC,CNN,Sunday Times,Gulf News,National,Arabian Business , Bloomberg any one with a webcam and tell the world how COVID-19 saved his career and ruined every one else's , and that leaving Dubai was fine especially to announce this just after Xmas along with the absolute need never under any circumstance communicate with staff or mention or acknowledge that over 50% of Airbus Fleet Pilots previous number around 1900 pilots have been terminated and rather quote 10% to 15 % figures as thats easy to work out and sound very few that the media accept swallow and regurgitate Along with the experienced Trainers and Aviators many with decades of experience in the company leaving behind a void of experience .Then the best quote of all “I am probably fairly useful still because I have the experience and my instincts; generally when we’re up against it, I tend to fall back on my instincts and very often I’m pleased to say they got us out of the hole,” Just those pesky pilots who I finally was able to shaft and belong in a submarine and waste money in 5 star hotels, but hey check out those turn around sectors to London and back to Dubai in one day or to the Far East and Back .
Kendra your talent has been waisted we want to read more
Sad thing, many outsiders will not understand , is that it all happend.

Fired600
18th Jul 2020, 05:01
Let’s not forget the B777 pilots who were let go to make room for the locals to take their place moving from the A380 to B777

SOPS
18th Jul 2020, 07:46
On a serious note. Have you intrepid aviators considered this. As EK sends you happily off into Covid hotspots, if you happen to contract the virus and recover, the after effects may leave you unable to hold Class One medical any longer. I’m sure Brian won’t care about that ( he has shown your all expendable), but you might care when you can no longer hold a licence.

Eric Hartman
18th Jul 2020, 12:11
SOPS, what is your point? The covid is here to stay. Most people have probably had it including you. The tests are not reliable. Even the vaccine might be useless (read the latest studies). We will have to live with it whether you like it or not. You are not a doctor, not a scientist, not an EK employee. Your comments are biter and irrelevant. You can lose your license for many reasons. Comparing covid to cancer says a lot about your overall level of intelligence....

Fired600
18th Jul 2020, 12:40
Eric Hartman.....play the ball not the man. Trading insults does nothing but cause anger and degenerate the thread.

givemewings
18th Jul 2020, 14:04
- but the lifejackets remain, and at least 50% of those work, unlike the costa dwellers.

:E:D:} gold

PilotLZ
18th Jul 2020, 15:25
If you think that other companies don't schedule any flights into COVID-19 hot-spots, think again. Wherever there's an opportunity to earn some much-needed cash, the commercial department will make use of it. Take that from someone who flew into MXP in April, when Lombardia was the COVID-19 hotbed of Europe. At least it was a quick turnaround without refuelling, followed by an immediate return home. Some guys I know had a far, far harder time being locked up in quarantine hotels on layovers and relying on whatever food the personnel was kind enough to bring to the doors of their rooms. Even going to the terrace for a smoke was off limits for many.

White Knight
18th Jul 2020, 18:06
Trading insults does nothing but cause anger and degenerate the thread.

I don't see any insults being traded!!!! (Except for the last line maybe).

I agree with the comments by Eric H; we have to learn to live with Covid. It's mortality rate is very very low... The world keeps turning!

5star
18th Jul 2020, 20:38
to Kendra Uplock and Xulu, thanks for making my day...
I must admit, I do miss those videos (a dude I know very well) made about EK FL-ops somewhere late 2008-2009)...

It has to be said...observing how EK management has been handling things over the past 5 years....
I can’t but shake my head....and SMF turning in his grave.....

olster
19th Jul 2020, 20:07
Very challenging times. However a very welcome dash of humour that outlines the dark comedy that is Dubai. I particularly like the reference to Bognor Regis and it’s highly digestible fish and chips. Bognor Regis bus conductor college is of course the alma mater of STC the man who went from conducting buses in West Sussex to buying 120 A380s some with Rolls Royce engines ensuring knighthood and large ones all round. Bognor Regis for interested historians (UK version) is also the venue for one of the most famous death bed quotes. I believe it was one of the King George’s who obviously unwell was given some life affirming motivation from his physician about the health restoring and invigorating sea air in Bognor. George’s reply was “bugger, Bognor” and promptly expired. I digress but I do thank STC after his inspirational interview with the Sunday Times for referring to his cv and origins as Bognor Regis has long been the object of humorous reference here in the Uk. During my tenure in the Emirate I found humour was the one aspect of life that kept me sane. If you could not laugh at the continuous idiocy all around then you would really flounder. So thanks again for the well written comedy guys which is not to make light of the dire circumstances.

cheers

777boyindubai
19th Jul 2020, 21:16
I do hope the serious fraud office in the UK take a look at the very questionable RR engine purchase.

Runours all abound about the fit out of some aircraft too.

Just as EK disposed of so many, when EK have rinsed Bognor Bollocks, they will scrap him too. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer bus conductor.