PDA

View Full Version : OASC Reports

Axel-Flo
8th Jul 2020, 20:29
Just OOI I’ve always wondered how on earth I managed to get through selection🤔 that said they weren’t all wrong and now, post retirement some years later,I was wondering if anyone knew if we are able to ask FOI questions and see our OASC reports and recommendations ? Many thanks
AF

Maxibon
8th Jul 2020, 20:48
I got my entire records free from the RAF. Interesting read, clearly some individuals had a bit of faith in me and other clearly f***ing hated me but I’ve done alright. All OASC records were in there and I did quite well; sadly I couldn’t sustain the four days of maturity at Biggin Hill throughout the rest of my six years! Be prepared to be open minded is all I’d say.

Axel-Flo
8th Jul 2020, 21:01
Thanks for that, I’ve no illusions of my successes or failures over the years😇 who did you approach as a starting point for those?

downsizer
9th Jul 2020, 06:29
Submit a SAR. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Green Flash
9th Jul 2020, 07:02
Thanks for the link downsizer. After 20 years of paddling in the very shallow end of the RAF gene pool I think I'll ask for my records and see if anyone noticed me!

Maxibon
9th Jul 2020, 10:20
I went through Air-COSPers-Disclosures which if you add an @mod.gov.uk to this, you should get through. You'll need (I quote):-details of information you require (eg. Full service records or full service and medical records)

-Service Number

-Approximate dates of Service

-Full postal address

-Proof of Identity, please note we now require proof of both name and address. A driving licence can be used to prove both name and address. If you choose to send a passport we will also require a utility bill as proof of your address.

downsizer
9th Jul 2020, 11:02
Thanks for the link downsizer. After 20 years of paddling in the very shallow end of the RAF gene pool I think I'll ask for my records and see if anyone noticed me!

I did it, for reasons that are now largely irrelevant, but I asked for everything the RAF held on me from when I walked into the CIO to the present day. Several boxes turned up. Ranging from my interview notes at the CIO (spotty, immature, nervous) right the way through to emails from PMA discussing postings, course reports I never saw, etc, etc. Didn't find the smoking gun I was looking for.

sangiovese.
9th Jul 2020, 12:03
I've always wondered what happened to the Innsworth records on me and my F5000 (orange file?). Personally have no interest in seeing the contents, just wonder what happens and if they're ever destroyed...must be a big filing cabinet somewhere

OldnDaft
9th Jul 2020, 12:53
I've always wondered what happened to the Innsworth records on me and my F5000 (orange file?). Personally have no interest in seeing the contents, just wonder what happens and if they're ever destroyed...must be a big filing cabinet somewhere
The old dossiers were sent to TNT for storage I believe.

aw ditor
9th Jul 2020, 15:51
TNT were taken over/sold some time ago. Hope the new owners haven't got the shredder out ........................... .

teeteringhead
9th Jul 2020, 16:21
ISTR that F5000 was retained until your 100th birthday - dead or alive. I suppose then it goes to Kew?

MPN11
9th Jul 2020, 18:14
A year or two ago I bravely requested my RAF Annual Confidential Reports, which was an “interesting” revelation.

I’m minded, from idle curiosity, to dig a little deeper into my past, I just feel a bit guilty imposing more work on those who are actually digging this stuff out for tangible purposes.

Pontius Navigator
9th Jul 2020, 19:01
Be prepared for some surprises as you won't get only your own records. I was 2nd Nav to this chap on his final chop ride. Now he was an A1 bloke who went on to a full career in another branch. Some 45 years later our paths crossed again gonna professional capacity and he said my reports featured in his record pack.

Regarding OASC reports, my F5000 had these. My first sqn cdr gave everyone their 5000s to read. A few years later the 5060s were open book.

charliegolf
9th Jul 2020, 19:28
What was the airman aircrew equivalent of the F5000? My memory fades!

CG

Pontius Navigator
10th Jul 2020, 08:19
What was the airman aircrew equivalent of the F5000? My memory fades!

CG
not sure and only a guess but I thought 5000 series was common, it was the ordinary reports that differed, 6442 was the airmans and 1369 the commissioned one.

ancientaviator62
10th Jul 2020, 10:03
If memory serves it was F4732. I wrote enough of them so hopefully my 'false friend' has not let me down.

jayteeto
10th Jul 2020, 20:09
I was out 15 years and rejoined as FTRS, they found my old 5000 and it’s back in use!
everything is open book now, as it should be

Axel-Flo
15th Aug 2020, 10:58
So a very nice reply from them and within 4 weeks I had a large bundle of paperwork from Cranwell. That said the board discussions, recommendations and paperwork from OASC is very minimal and I may write back to see if anything more is available that I didn’t directly ask for. Of course there are a couple of tracking sheets from my OASC attendance and I was just wondering if anyone had been employed at Biggin Hill with OASC or later with DORIS (Department of Recruiting and Initial Selection- I believe?) and could explain the “Scores on the doors” that are shown. Differing scores appear on the sheet under P N AEO AE etc and BG score as well. Obviously these are your aptitude scores but what are they out of and is there a pass/fail marker. Also I believe BG is the final Board Grading but again out of what and 1 low 9 high or vice versa? Many thanks
TSG

scarecrow450
15th Aug 2020, 12:25
Got my old reports even got reports from CIO stating I turned up early and smart for mt interviews ! Def changed now I've got older !

jayteeto
15th Aug 2020, 14:13
I was out for 15 years. On rejoining as FTRS, my 5000 appeared on the bosses desk. Always an entertaining read, my EFT report says “JT2 is not a natural pilot”

charliegolf
15th Aug 2020, 15:21
So a very nice reply from them and within 4 weeks I had a large bundle of paperwork from Cranwell.

Axel, can I ask how you worded your request? (They ask for specifics) I did one a few years back and it was hugely medical, with a few other bits on it- no annual reports to speak of. Maybe I was not clear enough.

Cheers PN and Ancient. Am I right to think series one was 'airman, general' the other, 'aircrew performance/performance in role'?

CG

Axel-Flo
15th Aug 2020, 17:39
It was an online form I completed and just asked for copies of anything held. I put in a brief explanation of what I was after and why, predominantly to do with reports and my OASC results etc. I was subsequently e-mailed an acknowledgement of receipt and then another asking if I’d like them to include certain documents that they suggested. Latterly I also received a telecon from them asking if a list of other items were to be included. All in all they were very forthcoming and helpful. That said I don’t seem to have much from the OASC interviews or CIO so will ask again. The Lady at Cranwell said that by all means if I felt something was missing then to get in touch with them via, mail, e-mail or phone. As I say very helpful.
RBRRB

charliegolf
15th Aug 2020, 19:06
Axel, thanks for that...

PN and anyone else who filled them in...

What were the 3 assessement areas A, B and C (the 3 columns with the 1-9 scores in) related to? I've been looking at what is just a dozen pages of computer script- it has the scores, but I don't know what they were for. Cheers.

CG

possel
16th Aug 2020, 13:00
charliegolf: I assume you were airman aircrew and so you are referring to the F6442? If so, the numbers that you refer to are (in order) Trade Proficiency, Supervisory Ability and Personal Qualities. There were 3 items under the first, 3 under the second and 7 or 8 (IIRC) under the third, and so these three numbers were each a sort of average of the detailed items. (I say "were" as I left ages ago and things could have changed, for all I know.)

Old-Duffer
16th Aug 2020, 13:03
I decided to eschew the opportunity to get all my reports etc. I considered that there was nothing I could do now and did I really want to work myself into heart attack caused by the indignation I might feel. Anyway, I joined as a' Supplementary List' officer which meant I could be asked to leave at 38 if I didn't get promoted to sqn ldr. I was offered a chance to go to Cranwell when I finished OCTU but declined as I had a commission in the bag and didn't want to risk it with 3 years more training. I was right 'cause the first years in real service saw me on three overseas tours. I was never going to get to the top of the greasy pole and I really can't complain and whilst it took me a bit longer than I would have liked to get to my 'ceiling', my pension isn't too bad!

O-D

charliegolf
16th Aug 2020, 14:11
charliegolf: I assume you were airman aircrew and so you are referring to the F6442? If so, the numbers that you refer to are (in order) Trade Proficiency, Supervisory Ability and Personal Qualities. There were 3 items under the first, 3 under the second and 7 or 8 (IIRC) under the third, and so these three numbers were each a sort of average of the detailed items. (I say "were" as I left ages ago and things could have changed, for all I know.)

Cheers Possel, makes perfect sense.

I ask because, in a service of only 8 years, my scores went up as one might expect in line with experience and gumption, to a point I can feel reasonably proud of. Except for one annual set of numbersl:oh:. I know the who, but not the why (though I was, ironically. always willing to ask, "Why?"). I only have the numbers, not what he wrote, but my last boss before exit actually said, "He really didn't like you, did he?".

Like the Guinness, I'm not bitter, life has been too good for that to leave me stewing.

CG

Pontius Navigator
16th Aug 2020, 15:01
Axel, 'twas long ago but my first sqn cdr had us all read our 5000 series. All I remember was I was graded A1 Nav, A2 pilot, and some much higher numbers for Engineer, something like B5. I don't know if there was a score for Electronics.

What I remember of one question was a large sheet of cogs worns and wheels - If A is turned clockwise, what is the direction of rotation of Z. I had no clue on mechanics and clearly funked that bit.

RHKAAF
16th Aug 2020, 21:12
Do they do overseas addresses ? I live in Canada.
Anyone had data sent abroad or direct by email ?

Axel-Flo
16th Aug 2020, 22:11
Axel, 'twas long ago but my first sqn cdr had us all read our 5000 series. All I remember was I was graded A1 Nav, A2 pilot, and some much higher numbers for Engineer, something like B5. I don't know if there was a score for Electronics.

What I remember of one question was a large sheet of cogs worns and wheels - If A is turned clockwise, what is the direction of rotation of Z. I had no clue on mechanics and clearly funked that bit.

What I was looking for was if anyone had been on the boards or interview teams. The box with scores aren’t particularly obvious they are laid out as below, I did try to upload a photo but it gets to 50% then says it can’t do it.
APTITUDE SCORES.
​​MAT 62. P. N. CONT. NCO AIR Final BG

Anywas really what these were, what they were scored out of and how relevant these were to final selection. I guess the numbers must have been ok since they let me have a go but was just wondering since I had them.y

Dan Winterland
17th Aug 2020, 05:45
Be prepared for some surprises as you won't get only your own records.

Once, I failed to organise my usual holding post (gliding at Bicester) and horror of horrors, was sent to Barnwood to reorganise all the GD(P) files. Of course, the first one I did was my own and I was very surprised to see a report regarding a serious breach of flying discipline during flying training. It was actually perpetrated by one of my course mates who I shared similar visual characteristics. Nevertheless, it was in my file with my name on it! Needless to say it was removed and destroyed, but it got me wondering how it had affected my career up to that point.

Many of the files were in a shambles. We discovered an active file for a pilot who had been killed in a flying accident some years before. His widow was still receiving his full pay!

I don't feel inclined to ask for my records.

RHKAAF
25th Aug 2020, 17:54
No replies to my query about overseas so I will just have to send an email to see if it can be done.

Haraka
25th Aug 2020, 18:47
Years ago in the Mid 70's some of us were asked to check our Service record print outs. I discovered that I was apparently commissioned ex airman aircrew and a contemporary discovered he was ex Education Branch, Interesting as we both had been UAS grads on Graduate Entry (G.E.) courses at the Towers a few years previously . IIRC there was a bit of an eruption at this point and our proper documentation then surfaced ,the explanation being that what we had been shown was "unofficial" and we must disregard it and forget it..
No lie I promise you .