PDA

View Full Version : Clearance to land in NSW to be dependent on presence of Covid test team

mickjoebill
8th Jul 2020, 07:54
Following the release of passengers yesterday in Sydney before Covid tests were performed new rules will be introduced.

ABC News 24 report that flights will not be permitted to land until Covid testing teams are positioned and ready at the gate.

Yesterday the health team were still testing passengers from an earlier flight when passengers from the later flight were released.

mjb

Stickshift3000
8th Jul 2020, 08:06
ABC News 24 report that flights will not be permitted to land until Covid testing teams are positioned and ready at the gate.

Jeez, better brush up on the mayday call for hitting reserve fuel... :sad:

Square Bear
8th Jul 2020, 08:55
Haha...wouldn’t believe any ABC newsfeed,.... or any Commercial newsfeed for that matter, getting anything about Aviation correct.

chazwazza14
8th Jul 2020, 09:20
Jeez, better brush up on the mayday call for hitting reserve fuel... :sad:

Its the media, I dare say, when they say “can’t land”, they actually mean “open the door”

Runaway Gun
8th Jul 2020, 12:05
In that case, my landings are getting much smoother... unless the wind catches the door.

compressor stall
8th Jul 2020, 12:28
Nothing in the NOTAMs restricting landings.

I suspect it’s a state directive for disembarkation.

Boeingpilot738
8th Jul 2020, 23:49
Nothing in the NOTAMs restricting landings.

I suspect it’s a state directive for disembarkation.

It is, hold on the taxiway until NSW health is in place at the gate. Airport rep in the terminal reports to the safety car who reports to the tower who clears the aircraft to the gate...what could possibly go wrong.

havick
8th Jul 2020, 23:54
It is, hold on the taxiway until NSW health is in place at the gate. Airport rep in the terminal reports to the safety car who reports to the tower who clears the aircraft to the gate...what could possibly go wrong.

Sounds seamless

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 00:36
I think that is a good plan. If it breaks down at any point it fails safe. The aircraft doesn’t disembark until every one is on the same page. It also puts the aircrew in the loop who are probably just happy to be at work logging time.

People need to get a grip and stop whining about small inconveniences and start looking at the big picture.

Boeingpilot738
9th Jul 2020, 00:46
I think that is a good plan. If it breaks down at any point it fails safe. The aircraft doesn’t disembark until every one is on the same page. It also puts the aircrew in the loop who are probably just happy to be at work logging time.

People need to get a grip and stop whining about small inconveniences and start looking at the big picture.

Agreed, a good plan, I’m not complaining about the procedure but the company or ground crew weren’t across it yesterday like ATC or NSW Health. I’m sure it’ll be ironed out in the next few days. In the end it worked just fine with NSW health basically running it. And agreed biggles, thrilled to be back in the seat.

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 00:51
Now I’m jelly, good to hear you are logging some time.
I think it is good to have the ‘crew’ in this loop. A pain in the backside no doubt but that is 2020 in a nutshell but I think as pilots we are generally pretty good at keeping the park brake set until we are good to go and as we see from this incident it leads to a Tempo ****efight if we don’t.

Boeingpilot738
9th Jul 2020, 01:00
Now I’m jelly, good to hear you are logging some time.
I think it is good to have the ‘crew’ in this loop. A pain in the backside no doubt but that is 2020 in a nutshell but I think as pilots we are generally pretty good at keeping the park brake set until we are good to go and as we see from this incident it leads to a Tempo ****efight if we don’t.

ATC were excellent and understood exactly what needed to occur, like you say, it’s important the crew are in the loop, there’s no harm that can come with the aircraft on the taxiway with the park brake set.

Lookleft
9th Jul 2020, 01:01
Why do you need the aircraft waiting on the tarmac burning fuel? Just don't connect the airbridge to the aircraft until the health people are in place. The ground agent has to wait at the first set of doors for the health people to accompany them to the airbridge. Really, the best solution is to have someone talk to someone to talk to the Tower to talk to the aircraft to tell them they can continue to the gate? Please can we amend the Constitution so that the States have to submit to the Commonwealth when there is a national health issue.

Boeingpilot738
9th Jul 2020, 01:09
Why do you need the aircraft waiting on the tarmac burning fuel? Just don't connect the airbridge to the aircraft until the health people are in place. The ground agent has to wait at the first set of doors for the health people to accompany them to the airbridge. Really, the best solution is to have someone talk to someone to talk to the Tower to talk to the aircraft to tell them they can continue to the gate? Please can we amend the Constitution so that the States have to submit to the Commonwealth when there is a national health issue.

There most likely is a better solution and I dare say we’ll end up with something like what you’ve suggested, I imagine this was a hastily arranged procedure that’ll be refined over time.

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 01:30
I agree I think what lookleft said is a better way., I’m sure with some crew feedback it will find a natural solution. The problem might be if the aircraft gets to the gate like it did last night it is not fail safe. Once the beacons are off the ground crew will engage, even if the health staff aren’t there. I’m sure Sydney ground has a bit more spare time then they used too to get involved. I don’t like wasting fuel but a small price to pay at the moment until we normalise the procedure.
The Jetstar CEO fronted the media today and said there was some talk about all the different state requirements being co-ordinated.
Perhaps aircraft onto the gate but beacons stay on until the co-ord is confirmed?

Boeingpilot738
9th Jul 2020, 01:44
I agree I think what lookleft said is a better way., I’m sure with some crew feedback it will find a natural solution. The problem might be if the aircraft gets to the gate like it did last night it is not fail safe. Once the beacons are off the ground crew will engage, even if the health staff aren’t there. I’m sure Sydney ground has a bit more spare time then they used too to get involved. I don’t like wasting fuel but a small price to pay at the moment until we normalise the procedure.
The Jetstar CEO fronted the media today and said there was some talk about all the different state requirements being co-ordinated.
Perhaps aircraft onto the gate but beacons stay on until the co-ord is confirmed?

I think with only very minimal arrivals the parking of the aircraft with the beacon on is a good solution, I’m guessing at the moment that NSW health don’t want the aircraft anywhere near the terminal without their people in place, which from reading the article was the issue the other night, multiple arrivals and NSW health teams stretched thin on the ground. It’s going to take some time to weave government protocols into airline ops. I feel for the Jetstar staff, I haven’t seen the interview with Gareth Evans but in certain media it feels like they’ve been thrown under the bus somewhat.

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 02:57
I noticed it a lot in a now previous life, introduce things without talking to the operators. I’m not saying pilots know it all but a quick ask for some input might have pointed out to whoever owns this that here is already a procedure that would dovetail well into this ie, no one approaches the aircraft until the beacon is off and in this Covid world the beacon doesn’t come off until the feds/state are in the aerobridge. I think with that procedure you wouldn’t even need ATC, they just clear you to the gate as per normal and your airline AMCO gives you the nod once you are on the gate and then you turn the beacon off...is simpiles!!

Checklist Charlie
9th Jul 2020, 04:12
What has any of this got to do with airline operations.
An airline transports people in this case, from A to B. What happens to the passengers and any arrival procedures are NOT the responsibility of an airline.
Which ever twerp decided to the contrary is an idiot. As are those that have accepted that decision.

CC

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 04:42
Well ok CC, how should it be done?

Keeping in mind airlines have always had a responsibility to check people have a valid passport and a valid ticket on the way out. Are you suggesting Health staff should open the aircraft doors? Are you suggesting at the cost of many millions we redesign every domestic terminal so it has a customs type area so health staff can do their job there?

I’m keen to hear a better, cheaper way of doing it, or are you just going to whine?

Checklist Charlie
9th Jul 2020, 05:24
Oz, the management of these health checkers must get their act together and have them ready and in place to meet the arrivals. If C.I.Q & H in the form of "Border Security" can do it for International arrivals perhaps the health people could learn from them.

If you want to have health department checks before boarding then go your hardest.

I repeat, these are health department checks that they must carry out, the checks are NOT the responsibility of the airline (or its staff).

CC

Chad Gates
9th Jul 2020, 05:45
That's not the point CC. JQ was asked not to open the door until the health team, who were busy processing another flight, had arrived at the gate. They didn't. They opened the door and let everyone off. It pretty easy to not open the door. Nobody has asked the airline to conduct checks.

Checklist Charlie
9th Jul 2020, 05:49
Obviously insufficient Health "Team" provided. Try locking the door and not letting people off.

CC

Chad Gates
9th Jul 2020, 05:51
We do it all the time. Not sure why that should be a problem. Plus, it's now the law. You're just gonna have to do it.

Ascend Charlie
9th Jul 2020, 06:09
Can't we just give all incoming pax a Chloroquine pill and spray them with Dettol before they get off? They walk past a little thermal camera nearby, to catch those with a fever, they get an injection of Handy Andy.

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 07:18
If I had a dollar for every time I got to the gate and there was no gate staff there I could have got a particular airline out of Admin.
This isn’t rocket science, It is a new way of doing business. Dare I say it a new Covid normal.

clark y
9th Jul 2020, 10:23
Why not just adopt what already happens on the international side?
When inbound with a sick pax( these days everyone is assume to be sick). Pull up at the gate, nobody gets off until quarantine give the all clear. In the current case just use NSW govt health staff instead of Aust Quarantine.

lederhosen
9th Jul 2020, 10:28
On the bright side some of us are still getting paid until the parking brake is set (block hours contracts) so if I have to hold with one engine running at least I am not waiting on my own time. Having said that just not disembarking would seem to fulfil the intention.

9th Jul 2020, 12:34
Try locking the door and not letting people off.

Would not be the first time I have sat as SLF waiting for an aerobridge, stairs or door to get their act together.

Radgirl
9th Jul 2020, 14:01
Can anyone confirm what these 'Covid Testing Teams' actually do? Some articles say they tell passengers to stand 1.5 metres apart, others that they take your temperature and yet others do a questionnaire

Anyone not spatially separating in the terminal has lost the plot. Temperature checks and questionnaires in isolation are effectively worthless

Good luck my Australian brethren

Derfred
9th Jul 2020, 14:48
I noticed it a lot in a now previous life, introduce things without talking to the operators. I’m not saying pilots know it all but a quick ask for some input might have pointed out to whoever owns this that here is already a procedure that would dovetail well into this ie, no one approaches the aircraft until the beacon is off and in this Covid world the beacon doesn’t come off until the feds/state are in the aerobridge. I think with that procedure you wouldn’t even need ATC, they just clear you to the gate as per normal and your airline AMCO gives you the nod once you are on the gate and then you turn the beacon off...is simpiles!!

With respect, no thank you. The beacon is strictly a safety device attached to strict SOP’s. Varying these SOP’s to satisfy the whim of what some State Premier wants this week is not the answer.

ozbiggles
9th Jul 2020, 22:27
The strobe light is a flashing red light, not a frickin laser on a shark number 2!

But D if you want to stand off a bay with two turning and burning for a length of time sorting out the admin with passengers standing up and sitting down because that is a safer more efficient way of doing business fill your boots. I think this requirement is going to be around for more than a couple of weeks. At this juncture in time it is safer and much more cost effective to the whole nation to keep the beacon on until it is safe to let the passengers wonder off into the night. I’m not to sure anyone has been hurt with a beacon light on and the engines off because they already understand don’t go near the thing.

‘Adapt and overcome’, Sgt Gunny.

Bodie1
10th Jul 2020, 01:16

If Gunny Highway was in charge of the response it would have been over by now.

Condition lever
12th Jul 2020, 06:48
The strobe light is a flashing red light, not a frickin laser on a shark number 2!

But D if you want to stand off a bay with two turning and burning for a length of time sorting out the admin with passengers standing up and sitting down because that is a safer more efficient way of doing business fill your boots. I think this requirement is going to be around for more than a couple of weeks. At this juncture in time it is safer and much more cost effective to the whole nation to keep the beacon on until it is safe to let the passengers wonder off into the night. I’m not to sure anyone has been hurt with a beacon light on and the engines off because they already understand don’t go near the thing.

Gunny is the rank..... as in Gunnery Sergeant. ATM Machine anyone....?

Bodie1
12th Jul 2020, 07:20
You know what he meant.

ozbiggles
12th Jul 2020, 07:24
And there are only 3 ... in an ellipsis, but we know what you meant! Yes my bad.

Middle.Marker
12th Jul 2020, 07:25
Beacon or no beacon who really cares? Just don’t crack the door til the little thumb appears from the ground staff how hard can it be