PDA

View Full Version : Decelarated approach

vilas
5th Jul 2020, 08:10
Hi guys
There are lot of silly discussions going on in Indian media. For my knowledge can anyone tell me if there's any Airline in Europe or the US which forbids decelarated approaches?

Jonty
5th Jul 2020, 08:32
Don’t know of any, given that most airports in Europe and the US require speed control (160kts to 4 DME ect) it’s pretty much impossible to do anything else.

Banana Joe
5th Jul 2020, 08:33
What do you mean by decelerated? Configuring for landing late on the glideslope? If you mean that, it's normal SOP for most airlines, with one very well airline's SOP stating to lower the gear the latest at 3.5nm in VMC, normally at 4nm.

wiggy
5th Jul 2020, 08:35
Hi guys
There are lot of silly discussions going on in Indian media. For my knowledge can anyone tell me if there's any Airline in Europe or the US which forbids decelarated approaches?

Decelerated beyond which point?

FYI we have to be fully configured and are meant to be stable "on" speed, power at approach setting at 1000 AAL.

There is however a minor caveat to allow decelerating through 1000' to cope with ATC speed constraints only but in any event we have to be stable in all parameters by 500'AAL.

vilas
5th Jul 2020, 08:37
Normal decelarated approach stabilized by 1000ft not FAF.

Banana Joe
5th Jul 2020, 08:40
Not forbidden by most airlines, I think all of them.

VariablePitchP
5th Jul 2020, 08:59
Hi guys

Taking the glide at 5,000’ in Germany in the landing config at the busier airports would cause a diplomatic incident.

Any clues as to which ones are supposed to ban it or is it going to become SOP in India at some point?

Check Airman
5th Jul 2020, 09:00
We (US carrier) fly a slight variant on the decelerated approach as SOP. Quite often ATC will want something like 170kt to the FAF, so we plan to cross it at about that speed, with F2.

I suppose F1 would also be doable, but then we’re getting tight on the 1000ft gate. With our method, we’ve usually got it configured by 1500ft, so it gives a bit of wiggle room.

In general though, the decelerated technique wouldn’t be forbidden. The approach profile is only a suggestion. As long as we meet the stable criteria, nobody will say a word.

Jump Complete
5th Jul 2020, 10:06
I can’t see why we need to change things based on the PIA accident. Lessons need to be learnt from accidents and incidents, and changes made where appropriate, but that accident appears to be so far out of the box, it’s hard to see where the lesson is. It’d be like using an example of a 180mph Supercar crash in a lesson on how to drive your family car safely.

FullWings
5th Jul 2020, 10:32
Weld the gear pins in, it’s the only way to be sure!

Ollie Onion
5th Jul 2020, 11:14
When I joined my A320 operator in Australia if it wasn’t an ILS then you had to be at Final Approach speed and fully configured at the IAF! Only lasted 12 months before ATC forced a move to decelerated approaches on all approaches.

vilas
5th Jul 2020, 12:46
These are idle discussions on social media like Flap3 landing or decelarated approach. Some retired guy quotes something that was thirty years back not aware that things have changed. And thousands of people who have nothing to do with aviation taking sides and creating heat and dust. I wanted to make sure from you guys about the real situation. Fuel is perhaps most expensive in India.

911slf
6th Jul 2020, 11:16
If you have to be at 160kt to four miles and 'on speed' at 1,000 feet (3 miles?) how much can you slow down in one mile? My guess is maybe 20kt. Presumably you don't use airbrakes. Does this mean that lighter aircraft have to use reduced flap to be able to comply? What's the minimum acceptable landing speed for a place like Heathrow, 120kt? Is that achievable?