PDA

View Full Version : Software Engineer interested in aviation

captut
29th Jun 2020, 00:06
I am a 36yo Indian software engineer in the US and always been interested in becoming a commercial pilot. I am at the stage where I can afford to do it without going into any kind of debt. If I start my training and get my FAA CPL with ME, do you guys think I have a chance to get an interview with CX for their second officer position at all?

Thanks!

Busbitch
30th Jun 2020, 10:13
You gotta be a troll.

cxorcist
30th Jun 2020, 13:45
I am a 36yo Indian software engineer in the US and always been interested in becoming a commercial pilot. I am at the stage where I can afford to do it without going into any kind of debt. If I start my training and get my FAA CPL with ME, do you guys think I have a chance to get an interview with CX for their second officer position at all?

Thanks!
OMG! Seriously? Take that money and go buy your own plane so you can enjoy flying. Better yet, take that money, start your own company, and get rich enough to buy an even cooler plane. That way, you can laugh at all of us as we start our work day at midnight and you are parking it at the local FBO on your way to women and booze. This industry is a dead end. I wouldn’t send my kids into it if I was under threat of limb amputation. We are all just hanging on, hoping to gather enough crumbs to “retire” in the next decade or two. Flying big jets is truly a shell of its former self, and that’s at all airlines, not just CX.

PS - Being an SO at CX has far more to do with making coffee and bunks, than flying airplanes. No, I’m not kidding.

captut
30th Jun 2020, 15:01
Thanks for the response cxorcist. That's what I gather from what I read everywhere. I am going to get my PPL and IR anyway, I was just wondering if it is any worth spending a bit more and fly the airline, big jets which I always wanted todo. Pay, Lifestyle, and work-life balance is pretty good as a software engineer as you can imagine. I guess I'll have to evaluate this at a later point.

CreepyJoe
2nd Jul 2020, 03:25

Thanks!
captut,
I will take you at your word that you who are who you say you are and not a troll.
Couple questions for you?
Are you Really interested in flying due to what you perceive as a lifestyle of traveling around on an
airplane? Or do you really have a desire to fly an airplane and a love of flying airplanes?
If you really have a joy of flying and want to fly an airplane this is the absolute last place you want to come
work!!
Do you have a right to live and work in the United States? And if you do stay flying there, go flight
Instruct or do part 135, whatever you need to get to the 1500 hours. And enjoy flying an airplane for a living.
If you don’t have the right to stay in the United States I do understand your plight and CX could be a way for you to go.
creepyjoe

captut
2nd Jul 2020, 12:05
I always wanted to fly since I was a kid. Finished high school and started taking the ground school in 2004. The Indian market was not really good back then and Indian kids are always at the sole mercy of their parents to pay for education. They decided not to pay for flying lessons, the bank decided not to loan any money for flying. LOL the bank manager's son was a pilot with CPL and no job and she scared the **** out of my parents. They said to get an engineering degree because that was safe and then go to America, you'll have a nice pay and nice life. So, I just I think gave up on my dream. Did engineering, came to the US, did my masters and life happened. But I never stopped thinking about being a pilot. But life was good, pay job, the standard of living and whatnot, I thought I will do hobby flying, get a PPL, and fulfill my desire of flying. But now I feel flying big jets is more fun than a Cessna /piper.

I cannot work in the US other than my software employer. I am on an H1B visa, and the process with PR in the US is a s**t show at this moment.

So why Cathay you ask?: I am not stuck to just on that one airline, but the reason I am exploring cx is that I know they'll hire people at my age(I am 36 by the time I finish CPL I will be what 39?). All Indian airlines have a cap on age like 32. Am I wrong?

CovidRefugee
2nd Jul 2020, 15:06
Hi Captut,

Try the wannabees section....lots of good info and contacts on there. I'm low hours and got a positive response from the CX People Dept when I spoke to them. The recruitment lady told me they are short on their freighter fleet - 747-800!!!! I was looking at self funding a type rating but it looks like my job ( ryanair f/o) is gonna be safe after all. Even so if CX offered me a job ( even on zero pay) I would take it. After all how many people get to fly a 747 for fun? Give them a call, you have nothing to lose...remember time zone difference....they are really nice to talk to.

good luck

Moved from Fragrant Harbour

Senior Pilot

captut
2nd Jul 2020, 16:03
But my main question is that will I be able to get an interview with Cathay with FAA CPL and Multi-Engine rating being at the age of 39-40? I'm not sure if you guys know Obet, he is a TRE with CX cargo, and in one of his youtube videos, he says yes, you can get in at 40 provided you are not changing careers because you failed in the previous one.

MPPCAG
3rd Jul 2020, 05:06
Hi Captut,

Try the wannabees section....lots of good info and contacts on there. I'm low hours and got a positive response from the CX People Dept when I spoke to them. The recruitment lady told me they are short on their freighter fleet - 747-800!!!! I was looking at self funding a type rating but it looks like my job ( ryanair f/o) is gonna be safe after all. Even so if CX offered me a job ( even on zero pay) I would take it. After all how many people get to fly a 747 for fun? Give them a call, you have nothing to lose...remember time zone difference....they are really nice to talk to.

good luck

With attitudes like this in the industry what hope is there? In the worst crisis aviation has EVER seen we see idiotic quotes like this. Get a grip on reality you idiot.