PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Oggi

Kaptain Krazie
26th Jun 2020, 22:14
Captain Gary Ogg is finally leaving CX after between 40 and 50 years service (he won't admit to the actual amount!) and whose time served must be a record for CX and Swire employees. I hope that some form of recognition will be forthcoming, however I doubt it - for whatever reason, longevity of service doesn't count? How many pens will arrive?

Cpt. Underpants
27th Jun 2020, 04:21
Legend. Enjoy your days off Oggi. It’s been a pleasure and a privilege being a colleague and a student of yours.

cyrex
27th Jun 2020, 10:32
Enjoy your retirement Oggy. Glad to have you as my induction instructor on the 744.

cannot
28th Jun 2020, 00:26
I suspect that it’s closer to 50 years , but who cares he is , A real gentleman , I did many flights with him and enjoyed every one of them

main_dog
28th Jun 2020, 00:29
A real gentleman. Farewell Oggie.

Vtwin
30th Jun 2020, 03:46
Oh please. An anal hot head and oft a miserable bully is more like it.
Good riddance, finally.

cannot
30th Jun 2020, 03:49
Seriously , ? Odd that you are the only one that feels like this

Vtwin
30th Jun 2020, 03:55
Seriously , ? Odd that you are the only one that feels like this

Seriously yes. That was my experience.

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - Orwell

never ready
30th Jun 2020, 09:04
No, Vtwin is not alone in his thoughts/feelings on this.

Network
30th Jun 2020, 09:26
Let him who has not sinned cast the first stone - or some such.
Give the man a break - he has put in far, far more than most of us ever will. Sure, at his own volition and self-benefit, but just the same. All of us would inevitably evolve over such a long career - as Oggie must have. To the benefit of many but obviously not all.
If you don't have anything positive to say, then give it a rest.

wiltshireman
30th Jun 2020, 10:54
You are offending a good man, who was one of the best Instructors I came across in my 23 years in CX. He far out stripped a significant number of brown-nosed so-called "Checkers" on the 4 the floor. Sorry - that 4th floor allusion dates me!

Vtwin
30th Jun 2020, 12:46
You are offending a good man, who was one of the best Instructors I came across in my 23 years in CX. He far out stripped a significant number of brown-nosed so-called "Checkers" on the 4 the floor. Sorry - that 4th floor allusion dates me!

Maybe so, but knowing I was to be unnecessarily "offended" myself, every day I walked into that briefing room, gives me standing here. I earned this, and so did he. He prepared us well and we survived despite how pointlessly miserable it was. Welcome to CX I guess.

I hope he truly did "evolve" or mellow out in the years that followed my experience. Hopefully he can enjoy his time away, but that must be nearly impossible for anyone who appears to to have made this job the center of their existence for decades on end.

Piet Lood
30th Jun 2020, 13:14
Speaking of making your job the center of your existence and more importantly: when is Mayhem leaving?
He must be amongst my top 1 of worst instructors ever.

Vtwin
30th Jun 2020, 13:16
"Mayhem," good nickname, too funny.

shortly2
6th Jul 2020, 10:48
I have always found Oggy a straight shooter and a professional. That doesn't fit with some of our fellows. Character attacks on an anonymous forum. You guys are so brave.

Vtwin
6th Jul 2020, 12:57
I have always found Oggy a straight shooter and a professional. That doesn't fit with some of our fellows. Character attacks on an anonymous forum. You guys are so brave.

Keeping the record straight and not playing pretend along with the one-sided BS and gaslighting that is occurring here matters to some, but not all apparently. Go on, keep singing the praises, no one is stopping you. Not all experiences were as yours, too bad you see a bit of balance as a character attack and not a contribution to reality.

TriJetFlying
6th Jul 2020, 21:09
Lets wish GO well, in his next chapter. He is well past his used by date and no doubt is financially secure to see him through. As for a top guy? No he is not..Simply a victim of the system.. His intentions were probably good, but so was the pathed road to hell.

He will get out of bed one morning and understand it was all for nothing, a sad reality for the retired who have nothing in life. The uniform and position is worthless when your time is up..

LongTimeInCX
7th Jul 2020, 04:29
Well for the contrarian view, the job and the uniform are simply that from my point of view.
They in no way affect who and what I am, they most certainly do not define me.
When I do my last FCOM update, and return an iPad and a battered hat, I will still be exactly the same guy when I wake up happy and look in the mirror the next day.
I shall be even more happy that I have more time to devote to hobbies, friends and family.

As for GO, like all views and opinions, they are subjective.
He interviewed me in the 80's for the job with CX.
I liked him then, I like him now.
Top guy.
Hope he enjoys a well deserved, and hopefully lengthy retirement.

MENELAUS
7th Jul 2020, 05:30
Well for the contrarian view, the job and the uniform are simply that from my point of view.
They in no way affect who and what I am, they most certainly do not define me.
When I do my last FCOM update, and return an iPad and a battered hat, I will still be exactly the same guy when I wake up happy and look in the mirror the next day.
I shall be even more happy that I have more time to devote to hobbies, friends and family.

As for GO, like all views and opinions, they are subjective.
He interviewed me in the 80's for the job with CX.
I liked him then, I like him now.
Top guy.

And that, dear friends, is correct. Rather than anonymously sledging a colleague in retirement

Vtwin
7th Jul 2020, 18:15
And that, dear friends, is correct. Rather than anonymously sledging a colleague in retirement

Shallow anonymous accolades accusing critical anonymous veritas of poor decorum. Priceless irony.
Collegial? I never got that from the guy, happy for you though.

Dora-9
7th Jul 2020, 19:32
top guy.

Having known him since around 1980, well before I even thought of joining CX, my thoughts exactly.

Vtwin - Oggie never tolerated fools gladly; is this the reason for your animosity I wonder?

Vtwin
7th Jul 2020, 19:43
Having known him since around 1980, well before I even thought of joining CX, my thoughts exactly.

Vtwin - Oggie never tolerated fools gladly; is this the reason for your negativity I wonder?

Knew it was coming.
Close, but you have it backwards. Quiet confidence, experience and ability was more of an affront and threat to the man in my case.
That trigger wasn't only limited to your hero. Ask many an experienced new joiner back when the airline could still attract them.

None miss the twisted place a bit.

MENELAUS
8th Jul 2020, 03:28
Quiet confidence, experience AND ability. Jeez. You’re wasted here.

flyingbynight
8th Jul 2020, 10:02
40-50 years at Cathay seems like a life wasted to me. Each to their own I suppose.

Vtwin
8th Jul 2020, 14:12
Quiet confidence, experience AND ability. Jeez. You’re wasted here.

Yes. I was.

Dora-9
8th Jul 2020, 19:58
Quiet confidence, experience and ability

Aha, what a fascinatingly modest self-assessment. Far too good to be an SO, FO or even a Line Captain? I can well imagine how he dealt with you. Has it ever occurred to you that you just might, just might, have deserved this?

Vtwin
8th Jul 2020, 21:47
Aha, what a fascinatingly modest self-assessment. Far too good to be an SO, FO or even a Line Captain? I can well imagine how he dealt with you. Has it ever occurred to you that you just might, just might, have deserved this?

Yes, deride confidence, experience and ability, you are the perfect CX fit. Modestly or immodestly projected your hero was threatened by it and even had a rep for bullying experienced new joiners before I showed up and he was not alone.

The way I see it, everyone has the right to celebrate the departure in the way they see fit. Too bad some can’t handle the brutal honesty of others and admit there is more to this story that’s not being discussed here. Too bad this ill-advised thread was started. This thread is about your hero, if your confident enough in your own assessments, why care what I think and grasp for ways to let the guy off my hook?

I‘m just as happy celebrating alone and have put it off long enough. Good riddance and yet a happy retirement to you; "Sir" and thank you OP for the invite to the retirement party. It was a hoot.

Btw, I left a little something in the punch bowl.

Ciao

LongTimeInCX
9th Jul 2020, 00:29
Yes, deride confidence, experience and ability, your the perfect CX fit.
Spelling aside, I am guessing you're an absolute legend.

Vtwin
9th Jul 2020, 00:43
Spelling aside, I am guessing you're an absolute legend.

Thanks, fixed it.
Now you can get back to the big retirement party held here on PPRuNe.
You are almost as anal as he was.
Australian maybe?

cabbages
9th Jul 2020, 10:52
Thanks, fixed it.
Now you can get back to the big retirement party held here on PPRuNe.
You are almost as anal as he was.
Australian maybe?

Ouch!!

Harsh.....but fair comment.

Arctic Ace
9th Jul 2020, 19:55
[QUOTE=cannot;10824906]Seriously , ? Odd that you are the only one that feel
I’m afraid he’s not the only one.

boofta
27th Jul 2020, 10:01
[QUOTE=cannot;10824906]Seriously , ? Odd that you are the only one that feel
I’m afraid he’s not the only one.
He had an unshakeably heavy grasp of the irrelevent.
3 hour debriefs, always focused on the obscure, meaningless details.
Zero focus on the big picture, which Keith left in his office when he fired
him from management, there is more to flying than nits, should have
been an auditor, people speaking of not suffering fools-SHEESH

CRWCRW
28th Jul 2020, 04:15
20 years in this joint and have never heard of this character.