PDA

View Full Version : Reasoned discussion anyone?

Manwell
26th Jun 2020, 06:11
It's been a long time since visiting Prune, but as far as a brief glance shows, things haven't changed much.

About 35 years ago I pulled the pin and made a last ditch attempt to join the RAAF because I reasoned that military aviation especially had to be densely populated with rational individuals compared to any other profession or trade I could imagine. Politics was definitely out, and that ruled out anything in the public service, since they made no sense to me at all. Unfortunately, the RAAF turned out to be yet another arm of the public service, and things have only gotten worse in each field of endeavour despite all the do-gooders doing their best to save us from every imaginable problem we're ever likely to come across.

If you're missing some good old fashioned rational debate without all the emotional baggage attached to every issue worth discussing, then I invite you to having a man to man discussion like the good old days before political correctness spoiled everything. Please be advised that you will be treated respectfully and courteously if you decide to participate. I know fair dinkum airmen are still out there, even though the sky is heavily polluted by drivers nowadays - or should I say, the earth....?

ozbiggles
26th Jun 2020, 06:44
So you are asking to have a polite conversation whilst bagging everything else out? Okkkkkkkkkkkk.....

Buster Hyman
26th Jun 2020, 06:50
It's been a long time since visiting Prune, but as far as a brief glance shows, things haven't changed much.
Well worth coming back then.
I invite you to having a man to man discussion like the good old days before political correctness spoiled everything.
So...you left before Debbie Wardley won her case?:confused:

j3pipercub
26th Jun 2020, 07:10
Is this guy having a stroke?

finestkind
26th Jun 2020, 07:27
Perhaps you should put this in the Military forum. Pretty sure of a reasonable discussion.

Obie
26th Jun 2020, 07:30
I like Debbie...we used to fly together in the good old Ansett days, she was also part of our tennis group. My wife loved Debbie and Debbie loved my wife, too!
This sounds a bit like the Bold and the Beautiful, doesn't it?
Debbie had a great career and we wish her well and still love her and always will.
R & R

Manwell
26th Jun 2020, 09:40
So you are asking to have a polite conversation whilst bagging everything else out? Okkkkkkkkkkkk.....

I did suggest having a man to man conversation oz. That's one way to separate the men from the boys.

Green.Dot
26th Jun 2020, 10:03
Just like Fawlty Towers, I’d quit while you are still ahead Manwell!

Section28- BE
26th Jun 2020, 10:28

Hmmmm- With, 'all' that is going On, right here and right Now- is there a 'Bulk' quote option.......????

I did suggest having a man to man conversation oz. That's one way to separate the men from the boys.

Ref: Mr 'oz'- et al.............., 'hearin Ya'll' ........... Blokes should, 'we' now all Man-Up, LOCK & LOAD and strap on a Chopper.. and have 'that' Yarn...???

Just a question..., have a good weekend all.
Rgds
S28- BE

michigan j
26th Jun 2020, 10:40
Cool. Can we talk about how Geoffrey Thomas should be the next Director of CASA?

Fliegenmong
26th Jun 2020, 10:46
"Unfortunately, the RAAF turned out to be yet another arm of the public service, and things have only gotten worse"

And this surprises you how exactly?????

j3pipercub
26th Jun 2020, 10:54

Question without notice, how do you feel about blue shirts and Air New Zealand?

j3

Section28- BE
26th Jun 2020, 11:00
Cool. Can we talk about how Geoffrey Thomas should be the next Director of CASA?

Indeed- good call, shall be a No Net-Loss appointment.............

Have, you had a yarn with The Minister for Transport and 'Sharpie'...............?????

Reckon, 'you' may.... have cracked/nailed it Mr 'michigan j'!!!!!

Rgds
S28

rowdy trousers
26th Jun 2020, 11:07
I still can’t get over the fact that women are allowed to vote.

kikatinalong
26th Jun 2020, 11:39
Reasoned discussion? PPrune? Nah, never happen

ElectroVlasic
26th Jun 2020, 13:25
Who let them out of the kitchen anyway?

Jenna Talia
26th Jun 2020, 14:16

Since when???? :confused:

Blueskymine
26th Jun 2020, 23:23

Was worth reading this pointless thread just for that gem.

He’d be too qualified and too smart for casa though.

Chris2303
26th Jun 2020, 23:40
Reasoned discussion on the interweb?

Never happen

tail wheel
27th Jun 2020, 00:06

PPRuNe is what it's users make of it.

And what have you contributed over the years? :confused:

Bend alot
27th Jun 2020, 01:19
Politics was definitely out, and that ruled out anything in the public service, since they made no sense to me at all.

The Department of Defence employs more than 20,000 Australian Public Service (APS) employees.

There are around 350 jobs to choose from in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) , in just about every field you can think of. The Navy, Army and Air Force have one of the most diverse range of careers in the country. Jobs include everything from pilot, medical officer, clerk and cook through to combat systems operator, vehicle mechanic and air traffic controller.

- I think I see your problem.

Lookleft
27th Jun 2020, 02:18
I think Pprune has just coughed up the new Sunfish. This thread is like the premise for Seinfeld, a thread about nothing.

Manwell
27th Jun 2020, 02:28
PPRuNe is what it's users make of it.

And what have you contributed over the years? :confused:

It's easier to say what I didn't contribute tail wheel, childish gossip. I was hoping there'd be some pilots here who would enjoy a mature discussion, but it seems they left too.

IAW
27th Jun 2020, 02:34
It's easier to say what I didn't contribute tail wheel, childish gossip. I was hoping there'd be some pilots here who would enjoy a mature discussion, but it seems they left too.

Start a thread to provoke a discussion then. What do you want to talk about? Give us a topic. Lie down on the couch and tell us what is troubling you.

airdualbleedfault
27th Jun 2020, 02:38
Manwell, I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news old son but as you may have gathered from some of the replies. PPRUNE has, like society, become infested with the triggered, Woke, and entitled generation, good luck getting a sensible discussion out of that mob

ozbiggles
27th Jun 2020, 03:23
Fortunately Manwell I think you have found your soul mate in airfault above as he seems to be a step or 10 above all others. Enjoy!

tail wheel
27th Jun 2020, 05:10
I was hoping there'd be some pilots here who would enjoy a mature discussion, but it seems they left too.

Not at all Manwell. They contribute rational, constructive contribution and debate almost on a daily basis.

Sure we have a few that appear to be a tad immature, however they are certainly in the small minority. And the trolls are seen off relatively quickly.

Green.Dot
27th Jun 2020, 05:19
Oh, the irony of us not speaking your language Manwell! Some of the responses have seriously given me the best laugh on PPRUNE just when we all needed it. Cheers mate!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/474x737/23d1eb20_0372_4c8a_90d9_83aee88939db_d97b5a226dcedf1ede87024 ef45a521a39e36b97.jpeg

Manwell
27th Jun 2020, 08:29
Manwell, I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news old son but as you may have gathered from some of the replies. PPRUNE has, like society, become infested with the triggered, Woke, and entitled generation, good luck getting a sensible discussion out of that mob
Hallelujah airdualbleedfault! I knew there would be intelligent life on this forum! How are things in your world lately? They seem to be going to hell in a handbasket by all accounts, and most of our leaders seem too busy fiddlng to take any notice. Don't worry about the rabble, they're par for this course, as you say.

Buster Hyman
27th Jun 2020, 14:32
Sure we have a few that appear to be a tad immature,
Hey! Who are you calling a Tad?:suspect:

Stardoggas
27th Jun 2020, 22:14
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/536x572/images_15__a1226d655f76915bdab9ee27ed95118c6ca2eb5e.jpeg

Ascend Charlie
28th Jun 2020, 07:27
Well, come on Manwell, give us a subject you would like to discuss in a rational and manly fashion, and we will see what we can do for you.

finestkind
28th Jun 2020, 07:34
Manwell. To start a post with a wide sweeping statement that not much has changed on PPRUNE, indicating that it was not that good when you left is not, I suggest, a way to invite a positive response. To than degenerate the public service and throw the RAAF in the same boat not only castes dispersions on these institutes (not saying that they do not justify these dispersions) but by your own doing places you above all and sundry. You than extend an invitation for a rational debate without even placing a worm on the hook. On what topic ohh lord would please you?.

“Please be advised that you will be treated respectfully and courteously if you decide to participate.” As you have done with you opening post?

“ I know fair dinkum airmen are still out there, even though the sky is heavily polluted by drivers nowadays - or should I say, the earth....?” I doubt many of us will suffice to be considered worthwhile to provide a worthy opponent for a debate as you undoubtedly will consider us one of the heavily polluted drivers.

You started with a wide sweeping negative statement, effectively a smack to the back of the head so if you cannot see/understand the returning smacks I really doubt your ability to engage in a logical debate. Happy to be proven wrong.

Blueskymine
28th Jun 2020, 08:07
So what’s the meaning of life?

Section28- BE
28th Jun 2020, 09:21
So what’s the meaning of life?

Hmmmm Good question.......- for 'some': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder)-Perchance......?????

Nar, got nothing (and only 1x call-sign..... 'I' do just wonder, BNEA...??? or NOT).

Evening all.
Rgds
S28- BE

ozbiggles
28th Jun 2020, 10:43
Forty two (42)

airdualbleedfault
29th Jun 2020, 04:52
Thanks for proving my point dogass :ok:

layman
29th Jun 2020, 05:18
ozbiggles

There is a theory which states that if anyone ever discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory mentioned, which states that this has already happened.

Blueskymine
29th Jun 2020, 05:35
Forty two (42)

Exactly.

Some of us just need to hitch a ride elsewhere now.

Stardoggas
29th Jun 2020, 06:48
Thanks for proving my point dogass :ok:
Imagine thinking that proves your point.

Ascend Charlie
29th Jun 2020, 07:26
There is a theory which states that if anyone ever discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Read Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question" for your final answer...

layman
29th Jun 2020, 12:59
Ascend Charlie

Finally, a discussion of real substance

So what is the "answer" - "Forty-two" or "Let there be light"?

Manwell
30th Jun 2020, 08:31
ozbiggles

There is another theory mentioned, which states that this has already happened.

That's probably the most prescient explanation for the meaning of life I've ever heard layman. Thanks to Blueskymine for getting that ball rolling. I also acknowledge the sincere contributions of others, I knew there was bound to be intelligent life here.

I think we may just be coming to one of those pivotal points in history layman - all the signs are there. The opening line from A Tale Of Two Cities seems as fitting today as it was back then during the French Revolution - "They were the worst of times. They were the best of times." Which way they are for us depends on what we do with them. And, I guess you could say that's the meaning of life - whatever you decide to make of it. Of course, that doesn't explain enough to enable someone to shoot for the stars as the RAAF motto implies, but "life wasn't supposed to be easy". Ironically, all the clues have been given to us, we've just gotta put them all together so they make sense.

This topic is worthy of discussion for one simple reason - It's the foundation upon which everything else relies.

Manwell
30th Jun 2020, 08:35
Neither alone, and a bit of both is the short answer layman.

Manwell
30th Jun 2020, 08:41
Hmmmm Good question.......- for 'some': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder)-Perchance......?????

Nar, got nothing (and only 1x call-sign..... 'I' do just wonder, BNEA...??? or NOT).

Evening all.
Rgds
S28- BE

I'm curious why you'd suggest that S28-BE. I have a mate who calls himself IS-BE, are you two related?

Green.Dot
30th Jun 2020, 09:07
What is this thread about?! What made you decide to start it on an aviation forum?

Section28- BE
30th Jun 2020, 09:53
NO 'Manwell'- as for the question, go Hard......

Rgds all- be well.
S28- BE

Manwell
3rd Jul 2020, 07:25
NO 'Manwell'- as for the question, go Hard......

Rgds all- be well.
S28- BE

Since you suggested it, I will Section28. Your comment referred to the question about the meaning of life, to which you offered a link to a wiki page about split personality disorder. On the surface, there seems no connection, but maybe there is if we dive deeper. Dissociative indentity disorder is caused by experiencing extreme psychological trauma, usually at the hands of someone trusted. The CIA did a lot of research into it for various purposes under project MK Ultra that was run by hand picked mad scientists. Diving deeper, these people basically sold their souls to the devil, and that might be why you mention it in relation to a chat about the meaning of life. How'd I go?

Chris2303
3rd Jul 2020, 19:54
Your comment referred to the question about the meaning of life

The meaning of life? 42.

finestkind
3rd Jul 2020, 22:58
The meaning of life. One could state there is no meaning with an argument of prove this wrong. We are born, we breed, and we die. The difference between us and our ancestors is life style, which for many in improvised countries has no difference. Or state that there is an ultimate meaning to life ranging from finding all the names for God (forget which short story this can be attributed to) and when this is done the lights (star’s) go out, too becoming enlightened beings (which given our short time here may have some merit)

I find the more “mature” I get the more the old sayings are not just sayings. Man’s inhumanity to man has been displayed time and time again.

Lookleft
4th Jul 2020, 00:02
Even Jet Blast would find this thread embarassing.

Buster Hyman
4th Jul 2020, 04:58
Even Jet Blast would find this thread embarassing.
I think the Mods tried to send it there, but it was rejected.

Manwell
4th Jul 2020, 09:55
The meaning of life. One could state there is no meaning with an argument of prove this wrong. We are born, we breed, and we die. The difference between us and our ancestors is life style, which for many in improvised countries has no difference. Or state that there is an ultimate meaning to life ranging from finding all the names for God (forget which short story this can be attributed to) and when this is done the lights (star’s) go out, too becoming enlightened beings (which given our short time here may have some merit)

I find the more “mature” I get the more the old sayings are not just sayings. Man’s inhumanity to man has been displayed time and time again.

I know what you mean about old sayings finestkind, but regarding man's inhumanity to man, there is a method in the madness that makes it all good, surprisingly. I would both disagree and agree with the idea that there is no difference between us and our ancestors. We are fundamentally the same, made from the same stuff, and filled with the same life giving force, in fact we might even be them in different form. But that doesn't mean we are exactly the same as them fundamentally, we're hopefully advanced a bit, although the opposite could also be true in our case. In simple terms, the RAAF motto is instructive. Per Ardua Ad Astra - Through Adversity To The Stars. Maybe, To the stars is meant literally, and the only way to get there is through adversity.

No-one can prove anything to anyone who doesn't want to let go of their previous illusions, but that makes sense too in the grand scheme of things.

Section28- BE
4th Jul 2020, 10:58
Gawd........., Fcuk-Me!!!!

Nar- speak in 'riddles' and can't ...... engage>>>>

rgds
S28

Lookleft
4th Jul 2020, 11:55
The existential quality of man suggests that the shifting paradigm and stream of consciousness precludes any real resolution of the quality of his nature. Man is constantly in conflict with his inner and outer self that manifests itself as self-loathing on the one hand and narcissistic tendencies on the other. The resolution of this conflict cannot be easily defined or constrained by traditional boundaries of thought or ideals. Therefore when considering if the human condition is of the cosmos or a separate space-time continuum one must first acknowledge the primacy of the physical forces that are in play with all matter. The very heart of the matter is a continuous loop of binary and non-binary conditions.

ozbiggles
4th Jul 2020, 12:07
Yeah, but what about women?

Lookleft
4th Jul 2020, 12:10
Read the last sentence again.

finestkind
5th Jul 2020, 10:57
I cannot find any method in man's inhumanity and there in itself is a conundrum. Why is it that behaving in a human way is a positive attribute when so many "human ways" are considered inhuman.