PDA

View Full Version : New Microsoft Edge

N707ZS
25th Jun 2020, 22:22
Just getting used to the new edition provided by Mr Microsoft today, only gripe so far is messing with my favourites.

Procrastinus
26th Jun 2020, 09:47
Good old Firefox?

nonsense
26th Jun 2020, 10:07
MS tried to infiltrate something called "Edge" onto my W7 machine. Not even so much as an explanation of what it was, so I got suspicious and googled.

No thanks MS, I do not need your latest attempt at a web browser; I've seen Internet Explorer.

kenparry
26th Jun 2020, 10:55
Oddly, the new Edge was delivered without my asking to my desktop PC, but has not appeared on my laptop (both running Win 10) - nor can I find any method of getting it. Not too fussed, I must say.

ShyTorque
26th Jun 2020, 11:43
I run Windows on my PC because I always have, beginning with DOS 3.1.

I try to avoid anything else made by Microsoft and definitely from the founder's old "mucker", Mr. Norton.

Ancient Observer
26th Jun 2020, 16:47
I use Firefox, with lots of adblockers and etc. For those sites that do not like my adblockers, I use IE.
Edge came with Win 10, but fortunately it only pops up where MS have some sort of deal insisting that Edge should be used. I don't like it - mainly because I am old and stuck in my ways.

Which reminds me, can I please have 3.1 back?

Saab Dastard
26th Jun 2020, 17:55
New Edge is Chromium based.

cavuman1
26th Jun 2020, 19:20
Totally with you, Ancient Observer! I was using Netscape before it morphed into the original Firefox. I'm now running Firefox 77.0.1. Where does the time go? Though there are elements of the browser which represent a trend toward bloatware, I have found it to be consistently reliable and respectful of one's privacy. Chrome and its newest iteration, Edge, though comparatively fast, have got more spies than the KGB.

- Ed

Alsacienne
26th Jun 2020, 19:29
The new Edge was delivered without my asking to my desktop PC - me too, following a lengthy and unexpected update session.

I have removed it from the taskbar, and have told it in no uncertain terms that I don't want the wonderful features that it was trying to bundle with it. Still happy with Firefox, and it's MY computer and MY decision what programs I have or use.

WB627
1st Jul 2020, 15:06
OK so I let the Collective update my PC to 1903 yesterday (see the other thread) and deciding that resistance was still futile, I installed the New Edge as well. I did a bit of Googling (ironic) on it first and learnt that Microsoft had abandoned their HTML engine for the Chrome open source engine and that this was going to make the New Edge look and behave a bit like Chrome.

Now I like Chrome for many reasons I also liked the old Edge but this would not run ADS-B Exchange. The New Edge does run it.

The new Edge is very much like Chrome and I am thinking why bother with it and not switch to Chrome for all my browsing needs? I will continue to run both browsers for a while and see which one I prefer, before I make a decision to go with one or the other, or even stay with both.

dogsridewith
2nd Jul 2020, 15:54
If this auto-install Edge update does install as an update, is Explorer still there? Can prior functioning be recovered with a Restore Point?

dogsridewith
2nd Jul 2020, 15:57
Just getting used to the new edition provided by Mr Microsoft today, only gripe so far is messing with my favourites.
Were you able to get favorites working without great difficulty?

WB627
2nd Jul 2020, 22:22
All worked OK for me but I did have to hunt them down. When you click on the favourites star you get a drop down menu with a limited number of favourites, click on Other Favourites at the bottom and they should all appear.

andytug
3rd Jul 2020, 09:12
I use Firefox with unlock origin, however Edge is considerably better for accessing Office365 apps.

dogsridewith
3rd Jul 2020, 12:54
This can seem to be sort of a charitable offer by MS in at least partly extending support for Win 7... the Edge for 7 now auto-installing as a Defender update is supported until July 2021, and Edge has been in development for some 4 years. Defender has seemed consistently reliable, though a couple accessories not wanted have started to open or begin menus to open. In any case, it appears the auto-install will finish and start on its own. (It can also be much speeded up by running manually through Win Updates.)
Thanks for any insights or advice.

Specaircrew
29th Jul 2020, 11:44
I find the new version of Edge so good that I hardly use Chrome now, it's way better than its first incarnation.

The Range
7th Aug 2020, 23:26
I just installed Edge a couple of weeks ago on my MacBook Air. I like it, it's like Chrome, more or less.

magyarflyer
8th Aug 2020, 02:05
Why are you all,bothering with edge and chrome, the 2 most nefarious web browsers which removes all,privacy from your browsing. Try light TOR or brave and look at the numbers of pop ups and redirects these 2 programs find. If you do, you will never use google or edge for searches. I just had to reset my apple to factory standard after my browser got hijacked from google, almost i,possible,to remove. Also use duck duck go for search.