PDA

View Full Version : Compressor stall a320

bayblade
25th Jun 2020, 15:38
Hello, during handling the ecam for eng 1 stall, one of the line states performance permitting XBleed use. I have a questions wrt the use of APU bleed in this situation.
If parameters are not normal we secure the engine and consider eng damage. In case we don't use APU bleed. But if the parameters are within limits with thrust reduced, would it be prudent to use the APU bleed? One could argue that something led to the stall cause of which is unknown in the air so it's safer to avoid using the APU bleed. But what if you are operating at a performance limited rwy?

Check Airman
25th Jun 2020, 16:36
I’m generally a fan of increased redundancy, so when given the option, I’ll always start the APU if there’s been an engine failure. Why put undue stress on the good engine?

Not following your question on the runway. What’s the APU got to do with your stopping distance?

PapaEchoIndia
25th Jun 2020, 17:03
Not following your question on the runway. What’s the APU got to do with your stopping distance?

He means for go around I assume.

bayblade
25th Jun 2020, 17:51
That's right, I mean go around performance.

sonicbum
25th Jun 2020, 20:03
Hello, during handling the ecam for eng 1 stall, one of the line states performance permitting XBleed use. I have a questions wrt the use of APU bleed in this situation.
If parameters are not normal we secure the engine and consider eng damage. In case we don't use APU bleed. But if the parameters are within limits with thrust reduced, would it be prudent to use the APU bleed? One could argue that something led to the stall cause of which is unknown in the air so it's safer to avoid using the APU bleed. But what if you are operating at a performance limited rwy?

Hi,

it all depends whether You assess the engine as damaged or not, based on parameter analysis. In case You do, You can switch OFF the Pack on ENG 2 to gain extra performance (1300-1500 kg depends on variant).

vilas
26th Jun 2020, 04:57
But if the parameters are within limits with thrust reduced, would it be prudent to use the APU bleed? One could argue that something led to the stall cause of which is unknown in the air so it's safer to avoid using the APU bleed. But what if you are operating at a performance limited rwy? The problem of using damaged side bleed is smoke, some debris may come in the system. In the present scenario we are not sure about the damage to No.1 engine and due to performance requirement want full thrust from No.2 Engine. The situation is unusual. If we use APU bleed and if smoke comes in it will have to be treated as gunuine and you will land up doing smoke procedure. Not a desirable situation. Just do what would you do in an overweight landing with No.1 Engine shut with damage. Switch off No.2 pack. That's it.

bayblade
26th Jun 2020, 19:18
Thanks vilas and sonicbum .