cptsyd200bc
15th Jun 2020, 12:03
Folks,
I would really appreciate if you all give me your opinion on IAA Mildura

Fatbritish
16th Jun 2020, 22:07
Hi Cptsyd200bc
Please do not go there, it's a terrible work place,
I know Instructors who have left IAA Mildura because they got bullied and harrased at IAA by the Chinese and the Chinese spies inside the company

thisishardtochoose
17th Jun 2020, 01:33
Hi Cptsyd200bc
Please do not go there, it's a terrible work place,
I know Instructors who have left IAA Mildura because they got bullied and harrased at IAA by the Chinese and the Chinese spies inside the company
HAHAHAHAHAHA good one

j3pipercub
17th Jun 2020, 01:48
They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness

navajoe
17th Jun 2020, 02:55
I find it a better class of conversation.

j3pipercub
17th Jun 2020, 03:23
I was just telling myself that the other day.

machtuk
17th Jun 2020, 06:07
Come on guys lets see how this pans out, they/him/her will slip up sooner or latter:E

Lead Balloon
17th Jun 2020, 09:27
On a different but nonetheless related matter to this thread, I note the extensive and expensive work being done to upgrade the runways at YWTO, a mere 12nm or so from YMIA. Somebody must be planning on a bit/lot more activity at YWTO.

Squawk7700
17th Jun 2020, 10:54
On a different but nonetheless related matter to this thread, I note the extensive and expensive work being done to upgrade the runways at YWTO, a mere 12nm or so from YMIA. Somebody must be planning on a bit/lot more activity at YWTO.

I heard they were fed up with what’s been happening at MIA. There’s been a lot of threads on here about the place and how unfriendly it is.

Lead Balloon
17th Jun 2020, 11:10
Who’s “they”?

Have to agree, though. YWTO seems to me to be a much friendlier place for GA than YMIA these days.

Squawk7700
17th Jun 2020, 11:38
You know.... “they”

The WTO mob.

hongkongkingkong
20th Jun 2020, 01:34
Folks,

Probably the worst place to work at. Their Instructors do more bus driving than any flying. I was an instructor there, I left few months back.
IAA is worst than Soar.
Lot of favoritism exists in that company. Australian Instructors are treated very poorly while on the other hand the Chinese Instructors gets treated like kings. If you want to succeed as an instructor in that company you will have to bend and break quite a lot of rules and regulations like 100hrs of Night instructional flying without a NVFR TE. That's just one, there are plenty of incidents like this
so better not go there for a job

LexAir
20th Jun 2020, 06:05
Way back in 2018 the Shire of Wentworth Council was promised by the owners of the MIA international pilot cadet flight school that there would be thousands of fee paying movements conducted at WTO but only if the airport was upgraded. So the Mayor of Wentworth successfully lobbied the NSW government for a $9 Mil grant to upgrade the runways, taxiways and hard standing. Now it seems that those promised movements may never happen.

hongkongkingkong
20th Jun 2020, 23:30
Folks,
​​​​​​
​​​​​It's probably the only flight school worse that Soar aviation. They have no proper resources to teach, such as books, any of the law documents, no Long briefs or short briefs, no proper class rooms. 150 students are squeezed into a small hangar building.

If you want to succeed as an instructor there, you need to do certain things outside the boundary of law. Therefore Chinese Instructors are their favorites because they break laws such as conduct flight training at night without NVFR TE. Conduct flight trainings on CSU fitted aircrafts without a DFTE.

thisishardtochoose
21st Jun 2020, 09:54
Probably the worst place to work at. Their Instructors do more bus driving than any flying. I was an instructor there, I left few months back.
IAA is worst than Soar.
Lot of favoritism exists in that company. Australian Instructors are treated very poorly while on the other hand the Chinese Instructors gets treated like kings. If you want to succeed as an instructor in that company you will have to bend and break quite a lot of rules and regulations like 100hrs of Night instructional flying without a NVFR TE. That's just one, there are plenty of incidents like this
so better not go there for a job

please tell us more

j3pipercub
21st Jun 2020, 12:04
Conspiracy theorist in me says, either idiot with an agenda, or poor excuse for a false flag operation.

machtuk
21st Jun 2020, 13:00
So far three new members on the same thread all joined within a week or two posting their first post, yeah seems legit to me!......cough cough cough!;)

hongkongkingkong
22nd Jun 2020, 01:25
Conspiracy theorist in me says, either idiot with an agenda, or poor excuse for a false flag operation.

Mate, call up AFAP and Fairwork, even they will agree that IAA Mildura is a horrible place to work at. Staff at IAA Mildura have been to AFAP with their problems with the company

thisishardtochoose
23rd Jun 2020, 02:12
Mate, call up AFAP and Fairwork, even they will agree that IAA Mildura is a horrible place to work at. Staff at IAA Mildura have been to AFAP with their problems with the company
Any form of proof to back your statement or just going to throw around some wild accusations?

LexAir
23rd Jun 2020, 06:26
The school at MIA is run by an Asian autocratic individual who is not capable of listening to those who know aviation training better than he does. He presides over a management structure which consists of him sitting alone at the top with a vertical line to the bottom where everyone else fights in an administrative melee to be heard or to influence policy.

Contrary to the regulatory requirements, CASR Part 142 titles such as CEO, HOO, SM are purely ornamental and carry no real power or influence within the respective organisations (there are four) which form IAA.

The lack of a pyramidal management structure results in an administrative mess, which the well meaning individuals who do persevere with their employment at MIA are not permitted to clean up. As long as the head man continues to wield the autocratic sword of Damocles there is no long term future for IAA, whether at MIA or elsewhere. I would advise those considering working there to look elsewhere.

Stretch06
23rd Jun 2020, 09:38
​​​​​​
​​​​​It's probably the only flight school worse that Soar aviation. They have no proper resources to teach, such as books, any of the law documents, no Long briefs or short briefs, no proper class rooms. 150 students are squeezed into a small hangar building.

If you want to succeed as an instructor there, you need to do certain things outside the boundary of law. Therefore Chinese Instructors are their favorites because they break laws such as conduct flight training at night without NVFR TE. Conduct flight trainings on CSU fitted aircrafts without a DFTE.

Can I suggest that if you actually have documented proof of such allegations that you report them accordingly instead of spewing them across a random anonymous forum.

Sunfish
23rd Jun 2020, 11:59
Stretch: Can I suggest that if you actually have documented proof of such allegations that you report them accordingly instead of spewing them across a random anonymous forum.

How often have I heard bullshyte like this?

Make an allegation and put your name to it.

Watch as the subject of the allegation calls their lawyers and threatens you with slander/ defamation and destroys your reputation and career.

Watch as they erase their tracks and make the crimes you accused them of disappear.

Weep as they tell the regulator that the allegation is without foundation and was made by a notorious malcontent who was once a bad employee.

Cry as the regulator believes it and walks away.

CASA, you have been warned that IAA is a shyteshow. Get off your backside and audit them!

Bodie1
23rd Jun 2020, 12:20
CASA, you have been warned that IAA is a shyteshow. Get off your backside and audit them!

That ain't the way things work.

Sunfish
23rd Jun 2020, 16:43
Bodie: That ain’t the way things work.

Just ask Glen Buckley. If what he alleges is true, then CASA deliberately destroys good and legal operators. At the same time, if other allegations are true, CASA takes no action at all against bad apples - the likes of SOAR and now IAA Mildura.

What is going on? Are competence and excellence in an operator seen as a threat? At same time sub standard behaviour is perhaps a more comfortable situation to deal with.

hongkongkingkong
24th Jun 2020, 01:59
Any form of proof to back your statement or just going to throw around some wild accusations?
proofs you looking for are the 35 staff members that had to leave IAA Mildura within a 10 month span because of bullying and harassment by the management

Fatbritish
24th Jun 2020, 02:03
Stretch:

How often have I heard bullshyte like this?

Make an allegation and put your name to it.

Watch as the subject of the allegation calls their lawyers and threatens you with slander/ defamation and destroys your reputation and career.

Watch as they erase their tracks and make the crimes you accused them of disappear.

Weep as they tell the regulator that the allegation is without foundation and was made by a notorious malcontent who was once a bad employee.

Cry as the regulator believes it and walks away.

CASA won't lay a finger on them, they are in bed with IAA Mildura, there were plenty of safety reports send to CASA, No investigation, no actions been taken so far

Ndegi
24th Jun 2020, 02:07
Bodie:

Just ask Glen Buckley. If what he alleges is true, then CASA deliberately destroys good and legal operators. At the same time, if other allegations are true, CASA takes no action at all against bad apples - the likes of SOAR and now IAA Mildura.

Interesting! In what way was SOAR not compliant with CASA regulations. My reading of the forums was that they met all CASA and RAAUS requirements. CASA has no oversight of RTO status, however students must meet the required standards to pass PPL/CPL etc.

Fatbritish
24th Jun 2020, 02:13
That ain't the way things work.

Mate, ask anyone who have been in close contact with IAA Mildura or AAA mildura,
there were 6 HOOs change in a year, why??
why is the company change their name every 3months??
how did certain HOOs got away after conducting 100s of hours of flying with out holding the correct endorsements?
there are more, how come CASA is not investigating any of these?

Stickshift3000
24th Jun 2020, 04:06
Interesting! In what way was SOAR not compliant with CASA regulations. My reading of the forums was that they met all CASA and RAAUS requirements. CASA has no oversight of RTO status, however students must meet the required standards to pass PPL/CPL etc.

Is that you Neel?!

zanthrus
24th Jun 2020, 06:08
SOAR was a disgusting excuse for a flight school and Neel Kokhani is a liar, thief and should be locked up for the criminal way he treats staff and students.
This is not slander it is FACT! SOAR has been taken to Fair Work numerous times and has been found wanting. They have been subjected to safety inspections by RAAus and CASA in response to MANY OBSERVED breaches of safety.

Ndegi
25th Jun 2020, 00:28
Is that you Neel?!

Nope! Been posting long before SOAR existed.

zanthrus, there are many FTOs and CAMOs that have had audits, taken corrective action and continue to operate in compliance with CASA. That will not change.

Fatbritish
27th Jun 2020, 00:12
Nope! Been posting long before SOAR existed.

zanthrus, there are many FTOs and CAMOs that have had audits, taken corrective action and continue to operate in compliance with CASA. That will not change.
If CASA is also in bed with IAA/AAA Mildura who do we report/complain to??
Tons of reports were send to CASA, I think Chinese money speak louder

Bob Warburton
27th Jun 2020, 07:00
Hi All.
Further to the post asking about the Chinese Flight Training school located at Mildura,would it be possible to have anyone who has worked there as an instructor give me an "Understanding" of their thoughts on how this school operates and is it within any guide lines that you people work to.We have an existing flight training school located at the Mildura Airport and these people appear to run a completely different operation.How you guys can help me out with your thoughts.No names ,no pack drill.

thisishardtochoose
27th Jun 2020, 07:55
If CASA is also in bed with IAA/AAA Mildura who do we report/complain to??
Tons of reports were send to CASA, I think Chinese money speak louder

I am just curious to know what kind of reports were sent to CASA, if you have some proof to back your claims I am sure details would be well appreciated by the aviation community

Sunfish
27th Jun 2020, 12:19
Thisishardtochoose, you are asking far too many questions which I think is for the purpose of evaluating just who has been told about the rot at IAA and the destination, quality, content and number of the complaints.

Are you are worried about the possibility of prosecution?

thisishardtochoose
27th Jun 2020, 12:41
Thisishardtochoose, you are asking far too many questions which I think is for the purpose of evaluating just who has been told about the rot at IAA and the destination, quality, content and number of the complaints.

Are you are worried about the possibility of prosecution?

Why would I be worried about the possibility of prosecution? You don't even know me sunfish?
Didn't know asking questions on this forum was such a harmful thing to do. Unlike you mate I like to make my decisions on the facts provided and so far no one has provided any such facts to back their claims.

Sunfish
27th Jun 2020, 21:41
Choosy, this is a rumor network. Furthermore, nobody in their right mind will give you details of complaints lest they identify themselves and invite retribution. Let IAA find out the hard way about the allegations.

Clare Prop
28th Jun 2020, 04:03
Is the Commonwealth taxpayer getting the promised return on the two million bucks this school was given? Seeing as presumably the 600 promised students can't get into the country?

thisishardtochoose
28th Jun 2020, 04:07
Choosy, this is a rumor network. Furthermore, nobody in their right mind will give you details of complaints lest they identify themselves and invite retribution. Let IAA find out the hard way about the allegations.

Isn't that what Glen did sunny? When no one was hearing his case, provided proof to back up his claims in order to get the support of the aviation industry?

thisishardtochoose
28th Jun 2020, 04:09
Is the Commonwealth taxpayer getting the promised return on the two million bucks this school was given? Seeing as presumably the 600 promised students can't get into the country?

Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the 2 million dollars given to Mildura airport for the ILS installation rather than the flying school?

Rod Con
30th Jun 2020, 10:28
You are not wrong, but the flying school would be the main beneficiary of the ILS. It enhanced their sales presentation to their potential Chinese Airline customers and would save them money having it at their home base OCTA.

Other beneficiaries would be training organisations in Ballarat, Bendigo, Melbourne, Adelaide and others places that would flock to Mildura, creating airspace congestion and hazards for all GA & RPT flights.

The Federal Government money was promised at election time by the Nationals desperate to hold onto a safe seat after Sugar Daddy & Old Daddy’s controversial behaviour. Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said “It happened because Anne Webster, The Nationals' Candidate did not let up. It happened because she continually rang me and rang me and rang me and phoned me and said, "For goodness' sake, we need this. We need this not just for our region, we need it for our future. We need it for the young pilots who need to be able to train here. We need it so that pilot training schools can relocate to Mildura."

$2 million from the Feds, $1 million from the council owned Airport & the other $1 Million from the council. Everyone is happy, Anne gets her seat in the House of Representatives, Nationals Keep the Mallee and IAA can close the deal with the Chinese Airlines.

But are they, local GA community don’t want it, Airlines don’t want it local residents don’t want it. The economic benefit is highly debateable the flying school shareholders are probably the Chinese owner or Chinese companies. How much money ends up in the local economy. How much will Mildura Tourism suffer because of this foreign owned entity.

The only hurdle left was to get the last $1 million from the council, when you have lots of money even it is allegedly embezzled that is easy, you just buy a Mayor. So, the MRCC Mayor Simon Clemence became the CEO of a flight school.

Anne Webster had previously announced the Fed money stating that the CAT I ILS would allow aircraft to land in fog, so it must be true because at the council meeting the Councillors that spoke for the ILS said this is about safety Aircraft will be able to land in Fog.

Deal done a couple of farmers think it is a good idea, no research or consultation let’s spend $1 Million of taxpayer's money.

Staffypilot
4th Jul 2020, 05:13
I heard there’s a few 172s up for sale

ProThinker
6th Jul 2020, 00:29
Yup, 10 I believe

LexAir
6th Jul 2020, 03:01
Only 10? There were initially 8 172s with an additional 48 ordered for progressive delivery over 2020/21. They clearly don't want to flood the market and depress prices.

abfabaus
8th Jul 2020, 10:47
Not to mention there was no community consultation. Deals done behind closed doors.

Strainer
9th Jul 2020, 05:10
Community consultation about what?

abfabaus
9th Jul 2020, 05:30
Community consultation about what?

About the International Flying School starting at MQL which is owned by the council - hence ratepayers. All hidden agenda

Strainer
9th Jul 2020, 07:58
About the International Flying School starting at MQL which is owned by the council - hence ratepayers. All hidden agenda

You need to take off that tin foil hat.

INOU
9th Jul 2020, 10:04
I smell disgruntled (sacked) employees!!

Staffypilot
9th Jul 2020, 11:02
Not really. They are disgruntled for a reason. The truth is coming out.

Rod Con
9th Jul 2020, 11:40
Certainly, looks that way, but someone mentioned 35 instructors, 6 HOOs and a company name change every 3 months in the last 10 months. Must be something going on there.

ProThinker
11th Jul 2020, 00:32
Can anyone on here explain how an instructor can fly 90 or so hours at night without NVFR and not lose their license or attract a severe penalty(including whomever authorised him to do so). A couple of hours I get, but the amount this individual flew is a blatant breach and makes a mockery of the legislation surely?

thisishardtochoose
11th Jul 2020, 07:59
Can anyone on here explain how an instructor can fly 90 or so hours at night without NVFR and not lose their license or attract a severe penalty(including whomever authorised home to do so). A couple of hours I get, but the amount this individual flew is a blatant breach and makes a mockery of the legislation surely?

That's a question for CASA, assuming this place was audited surely they would have picked up on this? If so did they choose to ignore it (imo I highly doubt CASA would choose to just ignore it) or this actually wasn't a case and is just baseless accusations?

Squawk7700
11th Jul 2020, 08:50
Can anyone on here explain how an instructor can fly 90 or so hours at night without NVFR and not lose their license or attract a severe penalty(including whomever authorised home to do so). A couple of hours I get, but the amount this individual flew is a blatant breach and makes a mockery of the legislation surely?

They obviously knew what they were doing as the aircraft didn’t fall from the sky!

It’s still VFR, but it’s at night... you can hardly lock them up for that. Sounds like a paperwork thing rather than someone not possessing the required skills and or experience.

Hamley
11th Jul 2020, 12:00
Sounds like a paperwork thing rather than someone not possessing the required skills and or experience.

Anyone who holds a licence should know that flying VFR at night without NVFR Rating or IR is ..... totally illegal

Bodie1
11th Jul 2020, 13:49
They obviously knew what they were doing as the aircraft didn’t fall from the sky!

It’s still VFR, but it’s at night... you can hardly lock them up for that. Sounds like a paperwork thing rather than someone not possessing the required skills and or experience.

Dude...........FFS, are you serious?

Strainer
11th Jul 2020, 15:45
Anyone who holds a licence should know that flying VFR at night without NVFR Rating or IR is ..... totally illegal

So does anyone here know if the instructor in question had an IFR rating?

Squawk7700
11th Jul 2020, 23:08
Like I said and Strainer has eluded to, it sounds more likely to be a paperwork type error.

The poster doesn’t mention if the instructor was flying at night or instructing at night either.

Sunfish
12th Jul 2020, 00:18
I get told a lot of things in aviation, the most surprising ones are: “the regulations are grey about xxxx”, or “ I know the regulation says X but you can do Y”, or “the regulator doesn’t really mind”, or “I know it’s technically wrong, but just do it anyway”.

To that I now add “it’s just a paperwork thing”.

Not being a sky god and considering that these are ultimately matters of criminal law, I find this deeply unsettling.

Squawk7700
12th Jul 2020, 03:04

Sunfish et al, read the above. It says that the instructor did not lose their license or receive a severe penalty. If it was “totally illegal” etc, then perhaps what the poster (I note their first post in pprune) has written, then maybe it was BS, or indeed as I said, “just a paperwork” issue. By paperwork I mean signed off to do so.

There’s a big difference between not actually holding a NVFR rating, versus holding one and teaching others to do so!

LexAir
12th Jul 2020, 03:18
Many instructors incorrectly presume that just because they hold an Instrument Rating and an Instructor Rating they are permitted under the regulations to teach NVFR. To teach NVFR an instructor must also hold the FIR - NVFR Training Endorsement. CASA is aware of this misconception regarding NVFR teaching and is currently taking more of an educative approach to breaches rather than a punitive approach, which is sensible and pragmatic.

Staffypilot
12th Jul 2020, 03:48
I was told by a disgruntled employee that the NVFR thing came to light from a CASA audit. The instructor in question did not hold the required training endorsement.

Strainer
12th Jul 2020, 04:28
Many instructors incorrectly presume that just because they hold an Instrument Rating and an Instructor Rating they are permitted under the regulations to teach NVFR. To teach NVFR an instructor must also hold the FIR - NVFR Training Endorsement. CASA is aware of this misconception regarding NVFR teaching and is currently taking more of an educative approach to breaches rather than a punitive approach, which is sensible and pragmatic.

Thankyou Lexair. Correct.

Lead Balloon
12th Jul 2020, 06:33
So a couple of decades or so and a lazy few hundred millions or so spent on regulatory reform, and:

there's confusion about whether a rating is required to deliver NVFR training, and
it’s just a paperwork issue for people who are holders of both instructor ratings and IFR ratings.

Confusion and pointless paperwork. Big thumbs up CASA!

Sunfish
12th Jul 2020, 13:07
Thank you lexair.

Clare Prop
13th Jul 2020, 02:42
That is a worry, Lexair. Instructors work under a HOO whose job it is to ensure that incorrect presumptions aren't made and that instructors are allocated jobs they are qualified to do.

I once worked at a school where they had an unsupervised Grade Three teaching night VFR at a remote base with no suitable alternates within an hours flight time, so this sort of thing did happen.

In this case it could be legal if the guy is doing supervised night circuits. People do 5 hours of this so they can do IFR at night, but 90 hours? Surely 90 hours of night circuits would drive anyone insane however badly they want that ATPL.

Mach E Avelli
13th Jul 2020, 03:02

If CASA were capable of pragmatism, instructors could instruct for any skill that they themselves have demonstrated. Can fly a night circuit? Yes, should now be able to teach night circuits. Flew cross-country at night for the NVFR or IFR test? Can now teach. Why not? Often, the best time to teach something is soon after you have been examined in that skill yourself.
Some airlines recognized this and had a policy of selecting training captains from newly promoted captains, while the extensive work involved in command upgrade or transition to a new type was still fresh in their minds.
Our licencing system has far too many layers of BS.

Strainer
13th Jul 2020, 06:25
If CASA were capable of pragmatism, instructors could instruct for any skill that they themselves have demonstrated. Can fly a night circuit? Yes, should now be able to teach night circuits. Flew cross-country at night for the NVFR or IFR test? Can now teach. Why not? Often, the best time to teach something is soon after you have been examined in that skill yourself.
Some airlines recognized this and had a policy of selecting training captains from newly promoted captains, while the extensive work involved in command upgrade or transition to a new type was still fresh in their minds.

Thanks MEAvelli, ++1 here.

Bodie1
13th Jul 2020, 07:51
Instructors work under a HOO whose job it is to ensure that incorrect presumptions aren't made and that instructors are allocated jobs they are qualified to do.

One of the HOO's up there is a very interesting character, I'll bet it was under his watch ;) :O

Bodie1
13th Jul 2020, 07:56
If CASA were capable of pragmatism, instructors could instruct for any skill that they themselves have demonstrated.

This was the case for quite a few things under CAR 5. The Part 61 regs have added a significant amount of cost to an instructor (or organisation) who'd like to or has to add training approvals to their rating. Whilst the 'new' instructor rating has stripped a bit of cost, it doesn't make up for the added approvals cost.

Styx75
13th Jul 2020, 15:10

Any idea if this is how it works in USA? If not I'd like to know where they pulled this idea from...

Bodie1
13th Jul 2020, 16:15
Any idea if this is how it works in USA? If not I'd like to know where they pulled this idea from...

Dude, it is so far removed from the States that it's unrecognisable.

SCPL_1988
13th Jul 2020, 23:44
"sensible and pragmatic.", I wanted to puke when I read that.
This statement, apparently floated by CASA, is pure propaganda.
Its a reaction their escalating bureaucratic nightmare of ratings upon ratings
and the NVFR is a classic example.

No wonder instructors leave Australia and don't return.

Staffypilot
17th Jul 2020, 08:17
I heard that 7 instructors walked out today

abfabaus
17th Jul 2020, 23:12
Is this from a reliable source?

havoste
18th Jul 2020, 10:54
I heard that 7 instructors walked out today

Where will they be going?

thisishardtochoose
18th Jul 2020, 12:43

I assume to the back of the centrelink line. Hard to see where these instructors could get employed during these times

Jaykimjongunfat
19th Jul 2020, 01:11
7 Instructors walking out on the same day, knowing it is extremely hard to find a new job during this Covid pandemic is a clear example that the company shouldn't be operating the way it is operating now. It is a disaster waiting to happen

chinesespyaaron
22nd Jul 2020, 06:12
There are rumours that IAA Mildura will be shutting down soon. Because all their Instructors walked out recently IAA is unable to complete the pilot training before the dead line given by the airlines. They are desperately looking for other 142 operators to take over their cadets to complete their training inorder to keep the contract. If that happens, I wonder what happens to all their brand new aeroplanes??. Maybe set them on fire for insurance money??

thisishardtochoose
22nd Jul 2020, 11:00
The amount of brand new accounts all set with their location to Mildura is astonishing :ugh:

LexAir
22nd Jul 2020, 23:04
The management of IAA have, indeed, attempted to contract out some of the training. I doubt any of the operators approached will take up the offer in this current climate.

Rod Con
23rd Jul 2020, 09:17
She’ll be right mate, they have a couple of DA42s & a clapped out old Duchess. If they do it like the NVFR, anyone with a MECIR will be able to train them.

Before COVID they planned to have 600 students training in Mildura by now, so they must have something up their sleeve.

Rather than grow one school they bought four presumably to get around CAAC student number limits for the first year. Doesn’t sound like a long-term plan, a school that size would need a lot of senior instructors with ME & IFR training, Flight Examiners too, where were all the staff coming from?

The whole thing seems a bit odd, maybe there is nothing up their sleeves and the original plan never included being in business this long.

Staffypilot
23rd Jul 2020, 09:57
Maybe the linked in the ABC news reports to embezzlement and maybe there is more to this than a flying school

LexAir
23rd Jul 2020, 23:42
Parking money out of reach of the CCP and or immigration motives?

abfabaus
24th Jul 2020, 02:23
She’ll be right mate, they have a couple of DA42s & a clapped out old Duchess. If they do it like the NVFR, anyone with a MECIR will be able to train them.

Before COVID they planned to have 600 students training in Mildura by now, so they must have something up their sleeve.

Rather than grow one school they bought four presumably to get around CAAC student number limits for the first year. Doesn’t sound like a long-term plan, a school that size would need a lot of senior instructors with ME & IFR training, Flight Examiners too, where were all the staff coming from?

The whole thing seems a bit odd, maybe there is nothing up their sleeves and the original plan never included being in business this long.
You're saying they bought 4 Schools. Can you name these schools please?

abfabaus
24th Jul 2020, 09:24
Thanks Staffypilot. Had found all except Clamback & Hennesy. Had found the other 3. IAA is the registered holder of 48 planes but Pearson, Aero Dynamic Flight Academy and Air Queensland are listed as the Operators. Have not seen any flights with regos relating to Clamback & Hennesy. Time for some more searching. Have found one IAA Skyhawk listed for sale. It's difficult getting any concrete facts about IAA.

Strainer
25th Jul 2020, 05:35
Thanks Staffypilot. Had found all except Clamback & Hennesy. Had found the other 3. IAA is the registered holder of 48 planes but Pearson, Aero Dynamic Flight Academy and Air Queensland are listed as the Operators. Have not seen any flights with regos relating to Clamback & Hennesy. Time for some more searching. Have found one IAA Skyhawk listed for sale. It's difficult getting any concrete facts about IAA.

Sounds like abfabaus might be one of the narcissistic fruitloops that frequents this place from the Residents Against Pesky Flying Schools facebook page.

abfabaus
25th Jul 2020, 05:53
Sorry to disappoint Strainer. No narcissism and no Pesky Planes. After facts, not gossip

thisishardtochoose
25th Jul 2020, 12:30
Sounds like abfabaus might be one of the narcissistic fruitloops that frequents this place from the Residents Against Pesky Flying Schools facebook page.

I agree 100%. Absolute fruitloops the lot of them, group filled with bunch of racists who have no clue about what they are on about.

aussiebushflyer
25th Jul 2020, 21:54
I agree 100%. Absolute fruitloops the lot of them, group filled with bunch of racists who have no clue about what they are on about.

Fruitloops would be a compliment to them, at one stage they were accusing IAA and FTA of spraying local crops with COVID 19 to help spread the Chinese made disease.

Sunfish
25th Jul 2020, 22:25
Fruitloops would be a compliment to them, at one stage they were accusing IAA and FTA of spraying local crops with COVID 19 to help spread the Chinese made disease.

You mean they weren’t?

gassed budgie
26th Jul 2020, 02:32
Sorry to disappoint Strainer. No narcissism and no Pesky Planes. After facts, not gossip

That accusation was answered in about three seconds flat. Strainer must’ve been over the target.

triadic
31st Jul 2020, 12:49
$2 million from the Feds, $1 million from the council owned Airport & the other $1 Million from the council. Everyone is happy, Anne gets her seat in the House of Representatives, Nationals Keep the Mallee and IAA can close the deal with the Chinese Airlines.

But are they, local GA community don’t want it, Airlines don’t want it local residents don’t want it. The economic benefit is highly debatable the flying school shareholders are probably the Chinese owner or Chinese companies. How much money ends up in the local economy. How much will Mildura Tourism suffer because of this foreign owned entity.

The only hurdle left was to get the last $1 million from the council, when you have lots of money even it is allegedly embezzled that is easy, you just buy a Mayor. So, the MRCC Mayor Simon Clemence became the CEO of a flight school.

Anne Webster had previously announced the Fed money stating that the CAT I ILS would allow aircraft to land in fog, so it must be true because at the council meeting the Councillors that spoke for the ILS said this is about safety Aircraft will be able to land in Fog.

Deal done a couple of farmers think it is a good idea, no research or consultation let’s spend $1 Million of taxpayer's money.

Well the MRCC approved the additional $$ for the ILS at a meeting this week.
Would you believe it is proposed to be on runway 09 and not 27.

The prevailing wind at MQL is from the W/SW and runway 27 is used around 90% of the time by the RPT operators due to the wind. An ILS on 09 would not be any advantage when there is fog, as in the early morning you would be landing into the sun which is not very conducive to making the most out of what visibility there may be. As a result of this decision it seems that the installation of the ILS is for the prime benefit of the flying school training operations and not for assisting RPT and other operators to land when the weather is poor such as in a dust storm which occur when there is a wind from the W or SW.
Having an ILS on 09 will by its nature and use by the flying school generate traffic issues in the circuit and cause delays to other operators. The additional time for a backtrack for a departure 09 or to wait for a gap in the traffic for enter and backtrack for a 27 departure will be a significant inconvenience and cost to the RPT operators especially.

Where is the common sense in this equation?

One has also have to ask what the value of an ILS will be over its expected life. The new runway at the Sunshine Coast is jet capable and does not have an ILS, but GPS based approaches that everyone seems happy about. Why cant the proponents of this waste of money think into the future and consider something similar and spend the money more wisely?

One must also ask what or who is driving this proposal.......

See also: https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/634454-mildura-airport-ils-wrong-way.html

Climb150
31st Jul 2020, 22:07
The future is overseas airline cadets and they must train on an ILS.

As widespread as you think it may be, JFK, Heathrow and LAX etc are all still ILS and will be for a long time due to Cat 2 and 3 approval.

triadic
1st Aug 2020, 01:42
The future is overseas airline cadets and they must train on an ILS.

As widespread as you think it may be, JFK, Heathrow and LAX etc are all still ILS and will be for a long time due to Cat 2 and 3 approval.

Which only goes to show that the ILS is there for the school and not to assist others landing when the weather is poor!

Climb150
1st Aug 2020, 12:25
Which only goes to show that the ILS is there for the school and not to assist others landing when the weather is poor!
I don't disagree but someone had said the ILS is redundant now because of GNSS.

PeskyPlanes
2nd Aug 2020, 03:00
Hi guys :) its me !!
First of all not racist, couldn't care less what race is flying the planes. But definitely are heading towards the fruitloop status from the constant noise pollution.
We only started the page because we were fed up with the constant drone, but seem to have uncovered a myriad of illegal and unsafe practices, and mind-blowing incidents that certainly make me want to sell up our family land and move far away.
I am collating as much information as possible (and learning a lot about the aviation industry as I go!) so if there is anyone who would like to get anything off their chest please let me know. Happy for you to remain anonymous, as I have lots of whistleblowers currently. I would particularly welcome actual documentation or photos. For example, if you submitted a report about tail strikes, but nothing was done about it, please send me the details. You can find me on the Facebook page or group.
Please no negative attacks on me, this has all been too much for my mental health as it is.
Im after facts, not rumours. I am sorting fact from fiction.

Rod Con
2nd Aug 2020, 10:05
Well the MRCC approved the additional $$ for the ILS at a meeting this week.
Would you believe it is proposed to be on runway 09 and not 27.The obvious choice for an ILS would be 27 for all the reasons previously mentioned and of course most of the inbound RPT and Air Ambulance traffic is from the south east. But I can’t help wondering if the Airport management, Board and MRCC councillors are confused as to the actual approach direction for the proposed ILS. Most of them probably have no idea what an ILS is or what 09 or 27 mean. If it was planned for 27 the Localiser antenna would be at the 09 end where they own more land beyond the airport boundary, the 27 threshold is closer to the road and land they don’t own. Maybe they don’t understand their own plans.

Stickshift3000
2nd Aug 2020, 10:15
Hi guys :) its me !!
First of all not racist, couldn't care less what race is flying the planes. But definitely are heading towards the fruitloop status from the constant noise pollution.
We only started the page because we were fed up with the constant drone, but seem to have uncovered a myriad of illegal and unsafe practices, and mind-blowing incidents that certainly make me want to sell up our family land and move far away.
I am collating as much information as possible (and learning a lot about the aviation industry as I go!) so if there is anyone who would like to get anything off their chest please let me know. Happy for you to remain anonymous, as I have lots of whistleblowers currently. I would particularly welcome actual documentation or photos. For example, if you submitted a report about tail strikes, but nothing was done about it, please send me the details. You can find me on the Facebook page or group.
Please no negative attacks on me, this has all been too much for my mental health as it is.
Im after facts, not rumours. I am sorting fact from fiction.

I imagine the aerodrome was there before you were...

Have you ever flown in a jet airliner?

thisishardtochoose
2nd Aug 2020, 11:12

Talking sense to the fruitloops doesn't work :ugh:

triadic
2nd Aug 2020, 12:33
Re the proposed MQL ILS. Further discussion on another thread:
https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/634454-mildura-airport-ils-wrong-way.html

PeskyPlanes
3rd Aug 2020, 02:00

Have you ever flown in a jet airliner?
Pretty much over the whole "dont live near an airport and then complain about the noise" comment.
Your so far off the mark and ill informed ...
but thanks for your input.

Talking sense to the fruitloops doesn't work :ugh:
Well that's lovely of you, thanks for your feedback.

Clare Prop
4th Aug 2020, 06:18
I just received an email from "anonymous reporter" about this place, including attachments of someone's licence. I don't really know anything about this place other than what I have read here, so I have no idea why they contacted ,me or where they got my email address from unless they painstakingly googled every single flying school in the country. The email is written by someone who doesn't seem to have English as a first language, the grammar standard is not something you would expect even from a journalist.

I don't take any notice of anonymous stuff, if you are too cowardly to give me your name and send a bulk email starting with Good day (which is only very slightly less bad than Dear Sir) then you go in the deleted items.

Did anyone else here get one of these?

Edit when I emailed back to ask who the sender was and why they were sending me this stuff the email bounced, apparently the email it came from doesn't exist.

De_flieger
4th Aug 2020, 09:22
Pretty much over the whole "dont live near an airport and then complain about the noise" comment.
Your so far off the mark and ill informed ...
but thanks for your input.

It's "you're", in this context. And given the airport was there in 1929, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone you were there first.

Right_rudder
4th Aug 2020, 10:49
Got the same email today, can confirm this is true. I had two mates that use to work there and left within 2 weeks of starting. They've obviously sent the email anonymously to protect their identity. You know how the Chinese are

captainsushi
4th Aug 2020, 11:05
Saw the email. Damning allegations.

Mach E Avelli
5th Aug 2020, 03:17
The author of that damning email uses the collective 'we', so presumably more than one person is prepared to back up the allegations. They should go to the Australian Government whistleblower site where they can remain anonymous. Piss, or get off the pot.
Writing direct to CASA and circulating to the likes of me is unlikely to get a result, because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what some cowboy training mob out in the desert does. I suspect CASA takes a similar position when it comes to training of foreign students. I won't be flying on any airline that employs these graduates, and CASA takes little interest in foreign carrier standards.

Staffypilot
5th Aug 2020, 03:37
That was very silly sending to it all of those emails. The best thing would’ve been to post on here

Mach E Avelli
5th Aug 2020, 04:20
Posting stuff here is not worth a c%*t full of cold water, other than to provide entertainment and to allow some to let off steam.
If they are serious they will take it to the appropriate whistleblower authority, which in turn could require CASA to investigate and report back. Then, if the allegations are founded on fact, the company could be de-registered or otherwise penalised.
But it is very poor form to include everyone's email in a mass mail-out without permission of each recipient. If I really could give a damn I would go after them for including my address.

Right_rudder
5th Aug 2020, 08:25
CASA has been notified of their wrongdoings. Looks like a slap on the wrist, any other schoosl which would do this would be shut down. Money talks!

Rod Con
5th Aug 2020, 09:36
But it is very poor form to include everyone's email in a mass mail-out without permission of each recipient.

Agreed, it is not hard to hide the other emails, but it does look like it was copied and pasted with very little word processing skills.

The “anonymous Reporter” is obviously out to discredit IAA/AAA but in particular goes after one individual. Many others have told similar stories about this person’s behaviour so it is unlikely that the email stems from a personal conflict between two people.

With the evidence provided CASA will surely have to take another look at the safety of this operation. The Author must work there or have worked there recently.

It is very sad many new instructors had their first flying job at IAA only to have their expectations of this professional world shattered.

chrisaviator
5th Aug 2020, 09:47
Folks,

I Like most, only lasted 6 months and left as soon as I could Only did around 140 hours in that time...more ground school and bus driving than I could throw a stick at. There are far better places to go if you want to work in a sausage factory. I’ve done just under 800 hours in the year since I left at my new school, if it survives COVID, I will be staying here as 100% happier. There are problems at every school you go...but IAA has a number of major issues...lack of safety and compliance Are just two of them. Stay away and stay safe...good luck getting your next gig.

aussiebushflyer
5th Aug 2020, 10:00
From instructors who work or have worked there I've heard that there is a one section of the company that operates under a separate Air Operators Certificate and has a different Head of Operations. They say that company is actually a good place to work and resembles nothing of the bigger messier AOC. The guy who runs that AOC has much more experience. Some of those who've left said they asked for transfers as they are all under the IAA parent company however that was declined. Would have considered staying on if that was the case. Think one of the long term plans is for one of the AOCs to move to Swan Hill.

Sunfish
5th Aug 2020, 19:52
Please don’t move to Swan Hill! I love that place and the Mid Murray Flyers! Always good for a cuppa and a chat after refuelling. Please don’t spoil it.

Kolbus
9th Aug 2020, 01:46
I just received an email from "anonymous reporter" about this place, including attachments of someone's licence. I don't really know anything about this place other than what I have read here, so I have no idea why they contacted ,me or where they got my email address from unless they painstakingly googled every single flying school in the country. The email is written by someone who doesn't seem to have English as a first language, the grammar standard is not something you would expect even from a journalist.

I don't take any notice of anonymous stuff, if you are too cowardly to give me your name and send a bulk email starting with Good day (which is only very slightly less bad than Dear Sir) then you go in the deleted items.

Did anyone else here get one of these?

Edit when I emailed back to ask who the sender was and why they were sending me this stuff the email bounced, apparently the email it came from doesn't exist.

Are you able to upload it here? That’ll be great ayyeeee!

Clare Prop
9th Aug 2020, 06:53
I guess if the author wanted it published here they would have posted it here.

It could have opened up the forum to legal headaches, so I'm not going to post it here either.

zanthrus
9th Aug 2020, 07:02
Send the email to me I’ll post it.

Clare Prop
9th Aug 2020, 12:20
No..the mods would probably take it down anyway...read this https://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=pprune_rules#faq_pprune_rules_rules

ProThinker
13th Aug 2020, 01:12
IF the substance of the email in question as well as the response to it are to be taken as true then it speaks volumes about the workplace culture of this particular organisation - which is being frequently reported in a somewhat unsavoury light.

In a high stress, high performance and hazardous environment bullying and any behaviours that add to the stress load of instructors is potentially lethal, can and will seriously damage your brand and reputation.

ANYONE who fosters and facilitates such an environment is, in my view, culpable for any negative outcomes that come about - for firstly not creating a means for personnel to air their grievances and for failing to emphasise HR policy on workplace bullying.

I have a great deal of experience with corporate governance, HR policies as well as Safety Management Systems and the just culture element that is meant to underpin their use. Unless there is evidence of repeated negligence as per a written policy statement in your ops manual aligned with annual performance KPIs set at the beginning of each year, there is NO dotted or hard reporting line between HR the Safety Manager and the HOO.

It's advisable to submit senior personnel in leadership roles such as HOO/Dep HOO and Safety manager for appropriate training and ensure that ALL personnel are on-boarded and understand that there are appropriate standards of behaviour that are expected in any Australian workplace. Anyone breaching these standards needs to be counselled and as necessary disciplined. Not doing so opens you and your organisation up to potential legal consequences and worse - people have died in workplaces as a result of workplace bullying and personally I have no patience for it. If employees lash out in anonymous forums then perhaps the issue is not with the accuser but rather with an environment in which they don't feel confident in airing their grievances and being heard - isn't that the essence of the Aussie fair go?

LexAir
14th Aug 2020, 06:07
IF the substance of the email in question as well as the response to it are to be taken as true then it speaks volumes about the workplace culture of this particular organisation - which is being frequently reported in a somewhat unsavoury light.

In a high stress, high performance and hazardous environment bullying and any behaviours that add to the stress load of instructors is potentially lethal, can and will seriously damage your brand and reputation.

ANYONE who fosters and facilitates such an environment is, in my view, culpable for any negative outcomes that come about - for firstly not creating a means for personnel to air their grievances and for failing to emphasise HR policy on workplace bullying.

I have a great deal of experience with corporate governance, HR policies as well as Safety Management Systems and the just culture element that is meant to underpin their use. Unless there is evidence of repeated negligence as per a written policy statement in your ops manual aligned with annual performance KPIs set at the beginning of each year, there is NO dotted or hard reporting line between HR the Safety Manager and the HOO.

It's advisable to submit senior personnel in leadership roles such as HOO/Dep HOO and Safety manager for appropriate training and ensure that ALL personnel are on-boarded and understand that there are appropriate standards of behaviour that are expected in any Australian workplace. Anyone breaching these standards needs to be counselled and as necessary disciplined. Not doing so opens you and your organisation up to potential legal consequences and worse - people have died in workplaces as a result of workplace bullying and personally I have no patience for it. If employees lash out in anonymous forums then perhaps the issue is not with the accuser but rather with an environment in which they don't feel confident in airing their grievances and being heard - isn't that the essence of the Aussie fair go?
Well said. Totally agree. When the Mildura organisation was first established all of what you suggest as appropriate was contemplated by the then Australian management team but it all went out the window as the Chinese management progressively pushed out the highly experienced operators.

abfabaus
14th Aug 2020, 06:34
There seems to be so much hidden agenda with this school. 7 Trainers walk off the job and people are too scared to talk. I have noticed more circuit training taking place recently. Makes me think that there have been more trainees added. Why are reports to CASA ignored? They destroy Glen Buckley who worked with them all along. This school purportedly has trainees who can't speak English properly, Safety doesn't seem to be a major issue for CASA. I hope that more light will be thrown on this whole debacle

Strainer
14th Aug 2020, 12:51
Well said. Totally agree. When the Mildura organisation was first established all of what you suggest as appropriate was contemplated by the then Australian management team but it all went out the window as the Chinese management progressively pushed out the highly experienced operators.

.....yup. To true.

Strainer
14th Aug 2020, 12:55
There seems to be so much hidden agenda with this school. 7 Trainers walk off the job and people are too scared to talk. I have noticed more circuit training taking place recently. Makes me think that there have been more trainees added. Why are reports to CASA ignored? They destroy Glen Buckley who worked with them all along. This school purportedly has trainees who can't speak English properly, Safety doesn't seem to be a major issue for CASA. I hope that more light will be thrown on this whole debacle

God help us. Looks like the fruitloops from ‘Residents against Pesky flying schools’ are here visiting again.

abfabaus
15th Aug 2020, 23:57
God help us. Looks like the fruitloops from ‘Residents against Pesky flying schools’ are here visiting again.
I have already stated that I am not a part of the group and even if I was, I find your comments to be totally inappropriate.
I am one of many Australians concerned about what is happening to our country. Our supposed regulatory and governing bodies either don't care or have been corrupted.
Our country is supposedly in lockdown but there has been increased flight training activity in Mildura and surrounds.
I am trying to ascertain whather new trainees have arrived in Mildura which would be a total breach of current restrictions.
If you have nothing constructive to say keep your childish comments to yourself.
I REALLY CARE ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO AUSTRALIA!!

Stickshift3000
16th Aug 2020, 01:11
Our country is supposedly in lockdown but there has been increased flight training activity in Mildura and surrounds.

Flying training is a permitted activity under stage 3 restrictions, which Mildura is currently subjected to.

It would be a great time to increase flying training rates as the skies (and airports) are emptier everywhere, including in controlled airspace which is a critical training component for this particular school.

Strainer
16th Aug 2020, 08:30
I have already stated that I am not a part of the group and even if I was, I find your comments to be totally inappropriate.
I am one of many Australians concerned about what is happening to our country. Our supposed regulatory and governing bodies either don't care or have been corrupted.
I am trying to ascertain whather new trainees have arrived in Mildura which would be a total breach of current restrictions.
If you have nothing constructive to say keep your childish comments to yourself.
I REALLY CARE ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO AUSTRALIA!!

I call BS on you not belonging to the ‘Residents Again Pesky Flying Schools’ Facebook page. Don’t care if you do. Every post you’ve made here, parrots exactly what’s said on the other site. If it walks like a duck......you know how it goes.
Everyone here is concerned about what is happening to the country. You can’t help but not be, as our fool politicians send it down the toilet and through the S bend. Constructive comments? You havn’t made one, other than you’re ‘first’ world problem of too many 172’s operating in and out of Mildura and you’re tin foil hat conspiracy theories.
Fruitloops? I was being nice.

abfabaus
16th Aug 2020, 09:47
I have no idea what you are talking about so will just ignore your rant. No BS I do not belong to the group, maybe it's you that is the fruitloop

Stickshift3000
17th Aug 2020, 02:33
I have no idea what you are talking about so will just ignore your rant. No BS I do not belong to the group, maybe it's you that is the fruitloop

I believe you Carol - I checked the FB group and can confirm you're certainly not a member :)

Strainer
17th Aug 2020, 04:02

There might be some merit in the fruitloop comment, but the rest is just ‘white noise’.

abfabaus
17th Aug 2020, 04:37
There might be some merit in the fruitloop comment, but the rest is just ‘white noise’.
Just admit you were wrong and shut up. Definition of white noise?????