PDA

View Full Version : Why do instructors need their Cert 4 in training and assessment

Muzz
14th Jun 2020, 09:28
Looking at doing my FIR soon, but wondering why people do the course with a cert IV in training and assessment instead of a course that just does the 12 hr PMI course. Is a Cert4 a requirement to instruct at VETFEE/diploma course schools? Or does it just differ depending on the school and what they require?

Thanks

Stikman
14th Jun 2020, 22:26
Cert IV is required to instruct at any RTO, whether it be flying or street sweeping.

john_tullamarine
15th Jun 2020, 00:14
Some time ago I returned to an old interest and recommenced work as a ground school instructor. As part of the workup to that, I did a full Cert IV course at one of the Melbourne TAFEs. I had no problems with the course content and, for those without anything much in the way of instructional backgrounds, I think the typical syllabus is quite useful. For folks with an extensive background, it's probably a bit of a chore - however, under the present system, it is pretty much a must do item, especially if one wishes to teach in the TAFE system and, more generally, in the RTO world.

Since the 2016 changes, the course is now a minimum of the best part of a year (part time, something in the vicinity of 250 hours face to face time and a fair bit of work in the books and on the net out of hours) and covers far more than what one might see in the traditional PMI style of course.

Vref+5
15th Jun 2020, 00:47
There are 3 week full time face to face courses available. Did mine a couple of years back. Lots of work, teaches you how to find the relevant UOCs on the training.gov website, construct a syllabus, deliver and assess it. Good thing is it’s transportable outside of aviation

Propjet88
15th Jun 2020, 01:00
Stikman said "...Cert IV is required to instruct at any RTO, whether it be flying or street sweeping..."

Almost correct, but there are some exceptions so its worth putting this to bed. See https://www.asqa.gov.au/standards/training-assessment/clauses-1.13-to-1.16
This acknowledges that a qualification in adult education is an alternative to the Cert lV TAE and specifically cites a "CASR Part 61 Flight or Simulator Instructor" as an example.

Flysafe
PJ88

zanthrus
15th Jun 2020, 07:10
Cert iv is a waste of bloody time and money. Then you have to do twice the paperwork if you are training RTO students. No thanks, never again!

john_tullamarine
15th Jun 2020, 11:47
Cert iv is a waste of bloody time and money

Unfortunately, it's not likely to go away and destroy a burgeoning industry ....

Xeptu
15th Jun 2020, 12:44
I'm sure this thread was created just to get me to wade in.
If you think that a certificate IV in training and assessment has any relevance to that training where the final assessment will issue a "licence" in any industry in any shape of form, you would be seriously deluded.