PDA

View Full Version : Bill Downs

Vulcan Girl
7th Jun 2020, 08:41
My father, Sqn Ldr (Ret’d) Bill Downs sadly passed away yesterday. He was a pilot of many aircraft during his career (including Chipmunk, Valiant, Meteor, Hawk, Canberra, Dominie) but his and everyone’s favourite was the magnificent Vulcan. He was also a wonderful father, grandfather and great grandfather and will be greatly missed.

Jackonicko
7th Jun 2020, 13:18
I didn't have the pleasure or privilege of knowing your Dad, but he sounds like quite a chap, and I do offer my sincere condolences on your loss.

sharpend
7th Jun 2020, 15:59
Sad to hear.

amontgomery
7th Jun 2020, 16:12
I was Bill's co-pilot on Vulcans at Akrotiri (sigh) on IX (B) Sqn in the 1970s. He was admired by everyone who knew him and it was my honour to fly with him - even if I had to beg to be allowed to fly the thing now and then!
A quite outstanding man
Monty

Bill Macgillivray
7th Jun 2020, 19:59
Vulcan Girl,

My thoughts are with you and the family at this sad time! I knew your father well in Cyprus (although I was on the other Vulcan squadron!). He was one of the best, in all ways,and I am really sorry to hear of his passing.

Bill

Penny Broadway
9th Jun 2020, 15:54
Vulcan Girl,

My thoughts are with you and the family at this sad time! I knew your father well in Cyprus (although I was on the other Vulcan squadron!). He was one of the best, in all ways,and I am really sorry to hear of his passing.

Bill Hi Bill you & I were at Brawdy together in Ops Wg in 1978, I have just taken the call from Bill Doens daughter Vanessa, yes I am back in the Air Force! My name is now Penny Broadway, you would have known me as Briggs. I am on Facebook if you want to contact me.

Anthea2828
19th Jun 2020, 17:50
I was so saddened to hear about Bills passing, so soon after Sue, we had spoken often in the past months and had made plans for lunch.
Both Mum & Dad ( John & June Lewis) where so fond of them both and had enjoyed many a boozy BBQ at Bryn Gwylan Happy Days.
My sincerest condolences to all the family.
Anthea Lewis

Chris Wilmshurst
5th Oct 2020, 20:27
Hi Vulcan Girl, I have just seen your thread and was really sorry to hear that you have lost both your Mum and Dad recently. Only a few weeks ago my Dad (Sqn Ldr AK Wilmshurst) was talking about your Dad, he was Nav Plotter on your Dads regular Vulcan crew. I think our respective parents got on well together. Both my Mum and Dad are now 90.

I have some photos of your Dad that I would like to share with you but haven't a clue how to paste them on here.

Feel free to contact me on my email address [email protected]
Dad will be upset when I tell him. Chris W

Vulcan Girl
6th Oct 2020, 08:54
Hi Chris

Thank you for your message, it’s lovely to hear from you and I remember your parents well. I have sent you an email and hope to hear from you again.

Hi Vulcan Girl, I have just seen your thread and was really sorry to hear that you have lost both your Mum and Dad recently. Only a few weeks ago my Dad (Sqn Ldr AK Wilmshurst) was talking about your Dad, he was Nav Plotter on your Dads regular Vulcan crew. I think our respective parents got on well together. Both my Mum and Dad are now 90.

I have some photos of your Dad that I would like to share with you but haven't a clue how to paste them on here.

Feel free to contact me on my email address [email protected]
Dad will be upset when I tell him. Chris W

alamo
10th Oct 2020, 09:49
Vulcangirl. Sorry to hear your news and sorry that I have only just picked this up.

I missed your father on the V Force but knew him at Finningley when he was on the Dominies. I remember him telling me of his posting to Llanbedr. I thought our paths would never cross but was wrong as I was posted to Valley. Bill made me a coffee when I dropped into Llanbedr to pick up a Hawk that had hed a problem.

A gentleman.

SRAM
10th Oct 2020, 20:05
I was Bill's co-pilot on Vulcans at Akrotiri (sigh) on IX (B) Sqn in the 1970s. He was admired by everyone who knew him and it was my honour to fly with him - even if I had to beg to be allowed to fly the thing now and then!
A quite outstanding man
Monty
Sorry to hear of Bill's passing, we are all living on memories now and that Bomb Comp in '73 is high on the list. Bill was a solid character who contributed to making the NEAF team one of the best there has ever been. I wish we had held on to that Mini Cooper Al! Robin.

Pontius Navigator
10th Oct 2020, 21:27
Is that Robin H?

SRAM
12th Oct 2020, 11:04
Is that Robin H?
yes, one of many, maybe 12 or 35!