PDA

View Full Version : Navy Beechcraft Staggerwing

cliver029
6th Jun 2020, 13:12
On the "Flightaware" web site there is a picture of a Beech-craft Staggerwing 17 in RN colours with the serial FT478.
Very little on the internet and so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it and about the Navy using them during world war II.
And is it still show worthy?

treadigraph
6th Jun 2020, 14:23
Think they were used as comms aircraft, one based at each RN station around the UK. The RAF had them as well. If I remember correctly, The Fighter Collection's "hack" G-BRVE, based at Duxford and formerly owned by David Gilmour, has British military history; have always expected it to appear in service uniform but it remains yellow. Robs Lamplough had a nice one painted as the RAF's DR628.

oxenos
6th Jun 2020, 22:59
they were used as comms aircraft,
Known as the Traveller Mk. 1

G-ANPK
7th Jun 2020, 07:25
Cliver029
FT478 is N582 c/n 6704 Beech 17s Staggerwing and is still airworthy , it is operated by 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum at Geneseo NY
This aircraft came to Duxford and other airfields in the UK in April 1990
This Beech Staggerwing, FT478, was restored to its original Royal Navy configuration and livery and won Best Light Transport at Oshkosh 2018 AirVenture.
hth
G-ANPK ( Air-Britain Stansted Branch)

M-62A3
7th Jun 2020, 11:53
Cliver029,
Whilst researching the use of Fairchild M-62As some years ago I interviewed an RAF veteran who had trained at one of the RAF's British Flying Training School in Oklahoma and at a twin-engine Service Flying Training School in Canada.. Somewhere along the way he contracted a serious ear infection and on his return to the UK instead of being assigned to operations he was posted first, to a radio school flying Proctors and from November 1944 to October 1945, to a Fleet Air Arm Communications Unit/Flight at RNAS Rattray, Crimmond, North East Scotland.

The unit was manned by two seconded RAF pilots and a naval ground crew and was equipped with an Airspeed Oxford, a Stinson Reliant and two Beechcraft Traveller aircraft. Their main duties were to carry Royal Naval personnel across the Irish Sea between Scotland and Naval establishments in Northern Ireland.
His logbook including the following: Oxford DF482, Reliant FB644 and Travellers FT468 and FT493.

I am not sure the usual aircraft movement records are available for Fleet Air Arm aircraft, but it may be those surviving Travellers on the US register have served at Royal Navy establishments in North America and the Caribbean.
Hope this helps, M-62A3.