PDA

View Full Version : Qatar salary reductions and redundancies 😬

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jack330
6th Jun 2020, 11:17
Qatar flight deck crew just received an email that explains the new (permanent) 25% basic salary reduction plus 25% flight pay reduction.
Tomorrow they’ll start sending the letters for Captain, First officers and second officers that will leave the company... Very sad, I wonder about the criteria they’ll use... Seniority, warning letters, age... We’ll see

Count von Altibar
6th Jun 2020, 11:49
There'll come a time when they need pilots again and a QR salary less 25% won't be attractive to have to spend so much of your life in Doha.

kungfu panda
6th Jun 2020, 12:33
You're doing better than most under current circumstances. The time which you talk about is probably 5 years away.

SOPS
6th Jun 2020, 13:52
I’m wondering if EK will follow ?

APU_inop
6th Jun 2020, 14:07
If I'm not mistaken they've taken the lead

FlyingAce77
6th Jun 2020, 14:40
it’s just crazy tbh but expected when we were hearing redundancies happening in technical, Cabin Crew, QAS etc etc etc .. The question is would it be last in first out? Which fleet? Will they start from A380s, 330s, 320s? What I’m hearing is from all 3” fleets & some from 777s & 78s too..

best of luck to all my colleagues “ bags are packed”

another issue is gratuity” I’m hearing from staff who are being laid off that Separation is saying final settlement of gratuity would be transferred to the account mentioned by US” in 3 weeks or soo.. How true is it?

Jack330
6th Jun 2020, 19:43
:rolleyes:
I guess starting tomorrow we’ll know for sure..
I’ve heard that they hired an advisor for this purpose and that they will work together with HR and probably Flt Ops to make a list..
I suppose the list is already done..
Rumors are that they’ll start with ppl with disciplinary stuff going on, pilots near retiring age that are the most expensive and some juniority but those are only rumors..

FlyingAce77
6th Jun 2020, 19:46
QR hired consultants for other departments as well” so I’m not surprised, Where as Pilots near retiring, How near? 6 Months? 1yr? We’ll get to know tomorrow, but the fact 100 Aircrafts are Unutilized makes it easier for QR to reduce the headcount & Exploit the situation”

lfbb
6th Jun 2020, 20:50
25% salary reduction, this is a clear violation of the signed contract... since we know a labour lawsuit would be impossible in Qatar I was wondering if anyone could pursuit such a thing abroad? Any idea on where to start? Maybe the labour home country?

FlyingAce77
6th Jun 2020, 20:53
I wouldn’t pin hopes on Qatar Labor Law” We all know it’s not for Expats but a smoke screen.. I’m not sure about legality of This contract back home... I don’t think it’ll be applicable.. That’s just my observation..
PS: QR is exploiting the situation, next would Education Allowance/ or maybe House Allowance as well.

lfbb
6th Jun 2020, 20:56
QR is definitely a global company and I don't see why not suing them thru one of their offices on your home country.

polax52
6th Jun 2020, 21:45
25% salary reduction, this is a clear violation of the signed contract... since we know a labour lawsuit would be impossible in Qatar I was wondering if anyone could pursuit such a thing abroad? Any idea on where to start? Maybe the labour home country?

All other Airlines around the world are using "Force Majeure" to do what they want with impunity from any labour law. I don't see why Qatar should be excluded.

fatbus
6th Jun 2020, 22:25
Good luck with sueing any ME carrier for breach of contract. Global company means nothing .

Airdancer
7th Jun 2020, 04:48
BA and Ryanair are doing it with the same "crap" conditions...

EchoKilla
7th Jun 2020, 04:50
This is very true across the board in North America and Europe so not sure why it’s such a concern for QR or EK. Good luck all!

All other Airlines around the world are using "Force Majeure" to do what they want with impunity from any labour law. I don't see why Qatar should be excluded.

Count von Altibar
7th Jun 2020, 11:44
What a complete mess, pilot T&Cs coming under assault from all directions. It's definitely going to take some time before the picture changes, let's hope a vaccine comes soon and people start booking again with the airlines.

Python27
7th Jun 2020, 13:08
Don't mess a temporary cut (yet) with a permanent one (already stated)...

krismiler
9th Jun 2020, 05:25
https://youtu.be/OObC5RYXfXA

av8tordude
9th Jun 2020, 23:48

I'm going to be devil advocate here...

In 25 Oct 2014, an internal memorandum was email to all QR Flight Deck with the subject "Flight Deck Pay Review". Without detailing the entire letter, but basically, it summarizes the following...

5% increase on entry level salary
Step increase 3% per step
Captains get 8% steps for 4th & 6th year
15 % increase on Flying Hours.
Double hourly flight pay after XXX hours

To those who feel a permanent 25% pay cut is a contract violation, did you feel that way when the company generously change the T&Cs of your contract? Did you file a file a grievance with the company or courts because they change the terms of your contract???

Please come down off your high horse!!! Be thankful it'is only a 25% pay reduction rather than a 100% job loss.

Try to remember, there are thousands of pilots who have it worst then you do. Be thankful and grateful and reflect that you be OK with a 25% pay reduction.

BTW, I'm no fan of QR because i was unfairly treated, but at the same time, I no fan of those who complain about a 25% pay cut either!

lfbb
10th Jun 2020, 01:35
Try to remember, there are thousands of pilots who have it worst then you do. Be thankful and grateful and reflect that you be OK with a 25% pay reduction.

At least now I understand how our profession hit rock bottom... sorry can't even argue with you once you believe the mentioned pay raise was given out of pure generosity and not because people were leaving the company after better T&C. I rest my case, apparently "will fly for food" meme is becoming a reality and we should be thankful to the companies because at least we will be able to eat. It is really sad seeing pilots like you playing the management game.

fatbus
10th Jun 2020, 14:46
ME and contract violations! Lol

QRAviator
11th Jun 2020, 14:59
Anyone got any updates on the situation? Just rumours everyday but haven't heard (directly) anyone being let go yet.

BOEMBUS
11th Jun 2020, 16:14
Give it a rest mate. Your intentions when you took the job was tax free Moolah, beach, high life, world travel and fly professionally all around the world.

No complaints then. World is suffering, not just your lil bubble.

FlyingAce77
13th Jun 2020, 20:05
Thats what I hate, No clear communication by the Company as to the numbers of layoffs to happen & when, because it is creating anxiety among the families... And we all know when Mental Health issue arises there are chances of Front page headline in leading Newspaper” 😆😆

Silver68
14th Jun 2020, 07:21
Just another rumour: if 2nd half of your June roster is published, it means you survived the 1st wave of terminations. :confused:

What first round? Care to share any info on this... I wasn't aware of any as yet.

lfbb
14th Jun 2020, 18:54
What first round? Care to share any info on this... I wasn't aware of any as yet.

First round put some extreme cases out of the door, it happened a few weeks ago and targeted some pilots with big dents on their files. I friend of mine was fired with no explanation given after recovering from Covid19, he indeed had many sick leaves prior to that. That made him believe the main reason for letting him go was his bad medical record.

Airbubba
16th Jun 2020, 17:09
Anyone got any updates on the situation? Just rumours everyday but haven't heard (directly) anyone being let go yet.

An update in this AFP story:

Qatar Airways to slash foreign pilots' pay: memoJune 15, 2020

Doha (AFP) - Qatar Airways will slash some pilots' salaries and make others redundant to offset the revenue collapse caused by the novel coronavirus travel crisis, it said in a memo seen by AFP Monday.

The Gulf airline, which flew to more than 170 destinations with 234 aircraft as of March, has been hit by airport closures and travel bans imposed to contain the spread of the COVID-19 disease.

The International Air Transport Association warned in April that air traffic in the Middle East and North Africa would plummet by more than half this year.

Qatar Airways' most senior pilots "will be subjected to a 25 percent reduction" in salaries, chief flight operations officer Jassim al-Haroon wrote to pilots in a memo dated June 4.

"In the upcoming weeks many of our captains, senior first officers, first officers and cadet pilots will be made redundant," Haroon wrote, without specifying how many would be let go.

More junior pilots will face an immediate 15 percent cut to their salaries, although the measures will not be applied to the airline's Qatari pilots, the memo added.

The airline warned cabin crew at the start of May that they faced "substantial" job losses.

"It's very gloomy. Communication hasn't been clear -- we don't know if this will be the last reduction or if there will be more," said one pilot, who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity.

"Without a union, they can do what they want to our contracts."

At the worst point of the novel coronavirus travel crisis, the airline had to slash its passenger services to just 35 destinations. It has since begun to resume some mothballed routes.

The economy of super-wealthy gas exporter Qatar has been buffeted by the global economic downturn and associated energy price collapse caused by the pandemic.

Doha-based sports broadcaster BeIN will shed around 100 jobs and cut some salaries in response to the virus downturn and the fallout from piracy of its output, according to sources with knowledge of the matter.

"We have started a limited redundancy programme in relation to our Middle East and North Africa business -- which will be as limited as possible, while securing our long-term future," BeIN said in a statement, adding that further details could not be provided as consultations were ongoing.

FlyingAce77
16th Jun 2020, 17:19
An update in this AFP story:

Bloomberg reported the same as well Yesterday. I wonder when A Memo comes out saying don’t leak internal memo’s otherwise disciplinary action would be taken, Tower Lads would be pissed off at AFP & Bloomberg reporting the transcript of the Memo emailed on 4th June.

Papa_Golf
17th Jun 2020, 08:46
Why is everybody leaving QR related whatsapp groups?

FlyingAce77
17th Jun 2020, 15:32
Because a rumor was afloat that When you go to Tower 1,2,3 IT will take your phone & check for messages” related to QR.

This rumor turned out to be true in the end” CC that have been terminated were told to handover their phones to IT” not all but I know 1 that was asked, she had a backup phone that she brought with her”

Its a mess in QR tbh, Decisions are made by senseless greedy people sitting at top.

fatbus
17th Jun 2020, 16:14
Welcome to the ME . I've said it before !

dirk85
17th Jun 2020, 16:19
Do they have the authority to demand and take your personal phone? It might not be the most democratic country in the world but I doubt your company can ask you that. Plus if you are in the office for that kind of meeting you would assume the decision to fire you has been taken already, so who cares at that point?

ChocksOn
17th Jun 2020, 16:59
At one end they are firing people, but are opening new engineering bases in high cost stations like Sydney!
Who in their right mind would do that.
No money to pay for planes and staff at home base but "my mate has to get a job because he is migrating to Australia".
What a disgrace.

Papa_Golf
17th Jun 2020, 17:12
Because a rumor was afloat that When you go to Tower 1,2,3 IT will take your phone & check for messages” related to QR.

This rumor turned out to be true in the end” CC that have been terminated were told to handover their phones to IT” not all but I know 1 that was asked, she had a backup phone that she brought with her”

Its a mess in QR tbh, Decisions are made by senseless greedy people sitting at top.

They will never see my phone. Period.

Papa_Golf
17th Jun 2020, 17:14
Do they have the authority to demand and take your personal phone? It might not be the most democratic country in the world but I doubt your company can ask you that. Plus if you are in the office for that kind of meeting you would assume the decision to fire you has been taken already, so who cares at that point?

They don’t. But I guess it’s easy to push cc to hand over their smartphones. We don’t have strong willed types in our ranks. Also met a few pilots with an evident lack of spine.

FlyingAce77
17th Jun 2020, 18:07
They will never see my phone. Period.
Same for me” I’m using a cheap Chinese phone that if I need to HR Employee Service center at Tower 2 will take that with me”
Harassment is at its core these days

FlyingAce77
17th Jun 2020, 18:09
At one end they are firing people, but are opening new engineering bases in high cost stations like Sydney!
Who in their right mind would do that.
No money to pay for planes and staff at home base but "my mate has to get a job because he is migrating to Australia".
What a disgrace.

I saw the vacancies for 2 bases, But then someone in technical said Its JFK too, But whatever it is, makes no sense tbh.

FlyingAce77
17th Jun 2020, 18:10
They don’t. But I guess it’s easy to push cc to hand over their smartphones. We don’t have strong willed types in our ranks. Also met a few pilots with an evident lack of spine.

I can name a dozen who are willing to work for 30% pay as well” Deck Crew that is” Spineless dudes.

Papa_Golf
17th Jun 2020, 18:22
Flew with a guy who told me he would work for free. Speechless.

FlyingAce77
17th Jun 2020, 20:17
im Speechless” they don’t know their worth.

CadetPilot
18th Jun 2020, 07:09
I would not be so quick to judge others really.
Some may not have another shot at working any other place for unfortunate reasons and have a family to feed.
I have flown with some wonderful and extremely competent colleagues that would never be able to find another job somewhere else simply because they carry a passport to a country that is destroyed today. In some cases they have never even lived in these countries, but have been victims of being born with these nationalities.

While I am fortunate and extremely grateful that I am not in that position, I think it says alot about you if you judge others or find them to be "worthless", or "spineless" while you haven't the slightest clue what they are going through.
Instead I choose to feel blessed to be in a better position. For you gents that share that sentiment and feel that sense of superiority, I sincerely hope that life doesn't teach you the hard way that you could also be on the other end of the spectrum.

Count von Altibar
18th Jun 2020, 14:13
AAB said in a recent interview that the 25% cut in pay for pilots would be temporary and yet pilots I know there said the letter was a permanent reduction across basic pay, flight pay and allowances!?

FlyingAce77
18th Jun 2020, 16:10
Internal Memo dated 4th June 2020 says “Salary Increments will be frozen for a period of 5 years and this will apply to both Qatar Airways and Qatar Executive”

There is no mention of 25% pay cut is temporary! It is permanent” atleast min for 3-5yrs.

AAB likes to play with words” He was giving “warning” to Boeing & Airbus as well & we all know how easily QR backs off from its statements.

FlyingAce77
18th Jun 2020, 16:17
Thats what i have heard. Whats the point of leaving a EU based job, to go there and earn the same money. Short term nobody can disagree savings have to be made, but if its permanent why?

How many days is it till the world cup?
From today 886 days left till kick off.

WrldWide
18th Jun 2020, 16:53
Thats what i have heard. Whats the point of leaving a EU based job, to go there and earn the same money. Short term nobody can disagree savings have to be made, but if its permanent why?

Supply and demand. Alot more supply these days.

Whitemonk Returns
18th Jun 2020, 22:13

How many days is it till the world cup?

This is the part I don't understand, EVERYONE is only there for the money, why would anyone leave Europe to live in the middle east for the same money in the future? Especially as both Qatar and EK have both shown seniority means nothing. They may have no need for crews for the next 3 years with the current oversupply, but who in their right mind would go there once they have better options? Clearly not worth the risk anymore.

fatbus
18th Jun 2020, 22:29
It will come down to supply and demand . 3 , 5,10 years? Who knows . There are still 100'sif not 1000's now willing to come for current T & C s . ME managers are drooling ( those that survive ) but for those familiar with the management style of the ME in general you know what I mean . 10 years to get back to pre covid 19 T &Cs is my guess .

QRAviator
23rd Jun 2020, 15:01
First hand info- 777 FOs, joined last year got a call to visit tower 2. TOPS, email etc all revoked.

FlyingAce77
23rd Jun 2020, 15:04
I can confirm that too” 2 Captains were called in as well... Tower 2 is going to be a Mess.

This is just sooo sad 😞-

FlyingAce77
23rd Jun 2020, 17:00
777 FOs recently joined, all Apps removed, chat about operations!

Apps removed from the phone?

FlyingAce77
23rd Jun 2020, 17:14
What difference does it make to Delete Apps? Once TOPS & GEMS is blocked your staff number is inactive” makes zero sense but would not be surprising from Lads sitting in Tower 1,2,3))

GDAJB
23rd Jun 2020, 18:04
Make that 3!

FlyingAce77
23rd Jun 2020, 18:29
What is the number in total? I just don’t want to guess.

GDAJB
23rd Jun 2020, 18:39
Good for you! Ask them! I am just one of the numbers.

FlyingAce77
23rd Jun 2020, 18:58
Im soo sorry. :(

fatbus
23rd Jun 2020, 19:01
Hope it done more humane than EK

Airdancer
24th Jun 2020, 11:58
I doubt it

QRAviator
24th Jun 2020, 18:21
Today 8-9 320 FOs got a call to tower 2. Anyone has any idea what basis is it going on? Are we supposed to Just wait around to get a phone call now?

Silver68
24th Jun 2020, 18:45
Interesting. I heard in excess of 50 people. Who knows what's going on, I wish they would just communicate better.

QRAviator
24th Jun 2020, 18:51
Yeah I meant people I know first hand and got the calls today. All sorts, probation out of probation, more than 1 year in conpany, clean records etc.

QRAviator
24th Jun 2020, 19:06
Saddened to hear that man. Could I ask how many years have you been here?

QRAviator
24th Jun 2020, 19:17
Sucks. All the best man. Hopefully you will get called back In and we all get to fly.

QR777X
25th Jun 2020, 10:49
Any update?

Does anyone know how many people will be fired?

Will they be having meetings during the weekend too?

QRAviator
25th Jun 2020, 11:59
There could have been better communication for sure. Sadly that doesn't exist here.

FlyingAce77
25th Jun 2020, 13:47
Lets be realistic” ME3 airlines are famous for No communication” The level of stress families are going through is unimaginable to the Lads sitting in Tower 1,2,3.

QRAviator
25th Jun 2020, 16:17
7 of my friends have been let go in a single day, the fear and shock we all have around us is unimaginable. Especially mpls with 500 hours 100,000 gbp in loan and a worthless license.

Flapsupbedsdown
1st Jul 2020, 07:25
All gone silent here? No news good news.

Papa_Golf
1st Jul 2020, 09:14
We are all holding our breath.

QRAviator
1st Jul 2020, 10:46
All Second Officers are wiped off (except 11 on 320 as of today morning). Total deck crew count- 3874.

Silver68
1st Jul 2020, 11:02
Out of interest, where do you get that info?

QRAviator
1st Jul 2020, 15:37
Out of interest, where do you get that info?
email addressbook

QRAviator
1st Jul 2020, 15:38
I still got 2 A330 and 4 A320 SOs in my batch that havent been fired yet, your information is wrong.
Also, as of yesterday a friend had a 787 SO in his batch who was still not laid off yet, just training suspended.
every A330 SO I know got the call. The email address book List for second Officers till yesterday had people in it. It’s empty as of midday today.

IBE8720
1st Jul 2020, 16:55
7 of my friends have been let go in a single day, the fear and shock we all have around us is unimaginable. Especially mpls with 500 hours 100,000 gbp in loan and a worthless license.

You could have always gone and gotten a job at another airline that hires people with no experience and no qualifications and pays for EVERYTHING.

Oh thats right......

QRAviator
1st Jul 2020, 17:25
IBE8720

For some people thats not always an option. Passports from third world countries especially. Home countries airlines not that great, no right to work and live in EU etc. and the cadetship was going good until the pandemic, which affected all kinds of pilots.

BOEMBUS
1st Jul 2020, 19:22
I think it was directed as a whole.. Doesn't matter if you're from a 3rd world (absolutely abhor that expression) or from 1st world, what Qatar was giving to SO is unheard of if not a national. In some 1st world countries, that is also unimaginable..

Bottom line is, I am shocked at how much pilots believe they are owed by other airlines of other countries on the basis of them being from these so called 1st world countries.. Why not go the normal route of flying as an instructor for however many years it takes to gain enough hours to be given a slight glimpse of a very slim chance of employment..

Papa_Golf
2nd Jul 2020, 05:10
I think it was directed as a whole.. Doesn't matter if you're from a 3rd world (absolutely abhor that expression) or from 1st world, what Qatar was giving to SO is unheard of if not a national. In some 1st world countries, that is also unimaginable..

Agree. It worked out quite well for many years.

Bottom line is, I am shocked at how much pilots believe they are owed by other airlines of other countries on the basis of them being from these so called 1st world countries..

Yes it is shocking, but very common unfortunately.

Why not go the normal route of flying as an instructor for however many years it takes to gain enough hours to be given a slight glimpse of a very slim chance of employment..

I’m sorry but that route has gone long ago. In Europe at least, you go for the instructor way if you’re unable to get into an airline (talking about established companies not P2F).

Not my opinion. Just stating a fact.

Getting back to the thread I heard of CP slightly over 60 summoned to tower 2.

QRAviator
2nd Jul 2020, 13:31
Which fleet was that?

Papa_Golf
2nd Jul 2020, 14:50
Which fleet was that?

787 fleet.

krismiler
2nd Jul 2020, 23:19
If redundancies are needed in any company, they need to be done quickly, so that the remaining staff aren't living with the threat of the axe over their heads and can move forward with some certainty. Dragging the process out only causes prolonged misery to everyone.

Count von Altibar
3rd Jul 2020, 11:04
So if you're stuck out of Qatar you could be ok from redundancy? That sounds a bit strange the whole process.

Silver68
3rd Jul 2020, 11:29
Can you be fired whilst out of the country? It would be impossible to complete the formalities for one. Who's to say those pilots who are locked out of Qatar will survive the cull upon their return.

FlyingAce77
3rd Jul 2020, 23:19
Can you be fired whilst out of the country? It would be impossible to complete the formalities for one. Who's to say those pilots who are locked out of Qatar will survive the cull upon their return.
On the contrary Staff is resigning outstation” Many CC have resigned & were told by HR/Welfare their Friends can collect their stuff & EOSB.
Haven’t heard as of today Employee being laid off while stuck outstation...
I did a month or so was told that some Chinese & Korean Crew were laid off outstation but I can’t verify it”

Count von Altibar
8th Jul 2020, 13:07
Have QR actually informed the pilots there of the selection criteria for redundancy or is it just totally random still?

QRAviator
8th Jul 2020, 16:25
Nope nothing told. Criteria, fleet, how many, how long for the redundancy programme to continue, no communication. Even people who had the meetings, upon asking the same questions were told sorry can’t disclose.

Flyboysg
9th Jul 2020, 06:51
Well thats how ppl have been terminated over there always. Not surprised it's how they are doing it now as well

Count von Altibar
9th Jul 2020, 11:27
That's pretty disgusting to make people redundant and not inform them as to the reasons why they were selected. It doesn't take much effort to show a bit of professionalism and transparency in the process and in turn some compassion toward their employees. Good luck to all in QR, at least they seem to be flying more than most.

Lordflasheart
13th Jul 2020, 09:36
Aviation Week is offering a complimentary interactive webinar 'fireside chat' with the CEO of QR - 21st July.

From their flyer -

"Since its launch in 1997, Doha-based Qatar Airways has grown to connect more than 160 destinations and become a 5-star airline that sets industry standards in passenger service.

Group CEO Akbar Al Baker has been instrumental in shaping the development of Qatar Airways and is an industry influencer. Throughout the pandemic, he has transitioned Qatar Airways by introducing dedicated cargo and repatriation flights, restoring scheduled routes and launching hygiene safety initiatives to reassure and safeguard passengers and employees.

Mr. Al Baker serves on the IATA Board of Governors, which he chaired in 2018-2019. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Arab Air Carriers Organisation and a non-executive Director of Heathrow Airport Holdings. A recipient of France’s Legion of Honor in recognition of his leadership in the aviation industry, Mr. Al Baker also holds a private pilot license.

Join Aviation Week Network as Mr. Al Baker provides his perspective on how the worldwide airline industry should position itself to best survive the global pandemic and return to strength."

light and variable
19th Jul 2020, 09:54
All Second Officers are wiped off (except 11 on 320 as of today morning). Total deck crew count- 3874.

Your modus operandi is resourceful but did you take into account that there is a significant proportion of Captains (mixed fleet trainers) who appear on both lists ie 380/320 etc.

QRAviator
19th Jul 2020, 12:54
Excel- Remove Duplicates

UAL777
21st Jul 2020, 16:00
Lordflasheart

Total waste of time. Could not ask any questions. More of the same from AAB.

Silver68
21st Jul 2020, 16:48
So as Qatar opens its borders to resident permit holders on 1st August, how many of the stranded pilots have been notified they may return?

Lordflasheart
22nd Jul 2020, 08:29
Total waste of time. Could not ask any questions. More of the same from AAB.

UAL 777 - Thanks for trying, and especially for reporting back. I will look to see how AWST spins it.

FlyingAce77
22nd Jul 2020, 23:24
Silver68

The problem here is QR being the Sponsor has to apply for return permit and this can only happen from 1st of August, most probably if stranded pilots are to come in, they would start coming in from 2nd week of August because no one knows how long does the permit take to get issued...

Flyboysg
23rd Jul 2020, 01:53
One would wonder if these stranded pilots...the minute they got back into doha, would they be sent to tower2 and told to go 🤔

light and variable
24th Jul 2020, 15:22
Anyone has thoughts about more Doha pilots getting the chop after Eid holiday? Me yes I thinks so, but I'm speaking to a lot of optimistic people around the compound who are adamant the focus will now be on the outsiders.

Silver68
24th Jul 2020, 15:33
Interesting. What makes you so adamant in this regard?

FlyingAce77
24th Jul 2020, 15:37
I believe that More Heads will be chopped be it In Doha or those who are stuck outside, why? Because I know someone who wanted to resign and was stuck outside and was told that You first need to come back in and then resign” He is a FD” and CC is still being laid off, most recent layoffs happened just couple of days ago, F2s in the country and flying were laid off - Dozen that is...
more tough times ahead..

Silver68
24th Jul 2020, 15:51
I believe you’re right. However, the pilots in my compound freely admit to not knowing anything more than the next person. This isn’t over until it’s over. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed we don’t get the call. As for the pilots who are stranded, some of which took unpaid leave at the company's request, are no more, no less in the cross hairs.

fatbus
24th Jul 2020, 18:32
I don't see those on LWOP or currently stranded being a target over anyone else. The issues are far greater then that .

Count von Altibar
24th Jul 2020, 19:41
Serious times and although QR seem to be responding much better than many airlines I guess the chopping will continue as the company reacts to the developing crisis. I'll bet there's a lot of pilots having sleepless nights wondering if they're next, can't be good for anyone's health nor flight safety. What a pity there isn't any transparency to the process, at least people could plan accordingly.

FlyingAce77
25th Jul 2020, 12:21
Its not only QR that lacks Clarity but the Country itself, Non the less, I hope for the best but always prepare for the worse.

mmorel
6th Aug 2020, 10:49
next round of layoff started last week . There are letting go of most senior pilots even on B787 and A350.

6th Aug 2020, 14:12
Any news on those stranded pilots? Think they started letting permit holders back on the 1st but no idea about priority...

King on a Wing
6th Aug 2020, 15:17
mmorel

Are we talking about only first officers here or captains also ??

King on a Wing
6th Aug 2020, 15:19
And surprisingly a lot of the skippers from the sub continent have been spared the axe so far … 😳

mmorel
6th Aug 2020, 16:13
This round is about Captain and they have already redundant more than 200 senior captain.

Imagine you fly back to doha after your duty and then they wipe your schedule for the rest the months . They are trying to terminate captain with higher seniority since they are getting more money that younger captains.

in other countries if they are trying to ask senior pilot to voluntary quit it's because they have retirement scheme .

In Qatar airways they should at least let senior flight crew to work because they can reduce their salary.

Count von Altibar
7th Aug 2020, 09:50
Letting all the senior bods go ain't a good idea for experience levels on the flight deck, I guess it's all about the $$$!

Fired600
7th Aug 2020, 10:59
Typical Middle East though. Experience means nothing only $$$ :(

Flapsupbedsdown
7th Aug 2020, 11:00
Middle east?? Sorry to say it is worldwide.

Fired600
7th Aug 2020, 11:47
What happened to the days when experience was of value? I swear I should put PPL and 40hrs TT to stand the best chance of getting/keeping a job these days!

mmorel
8th Aug 2020, 06:03
Does anyone know if we can sue Qatar Airways?

I was flying more than 90 hours per months during FEB -August and still they force us to use all of our vacations so basically 15 days off being prison in doha and then 15 days of intense flying and then right after maxing out our hours for the following month they terminated us.
They forced us to work in dangerous situation and lay over in hotels that we might get Corona and then once they used all of out vacation times they terminated people.

I think there should be a way to sue and make this public to the world

BOEMBUS
8th Aug 2020, 06:59
Re-think. Clear your head. Forget your hurt pride. Look for brighter future.

Silver68
8th Aug 2020, 07:07
Wise words.

Papa_Golf
8th Aug 2020, 08:06
mmorel

Flood the safety office with fatigue reports.

mmorel
11th Aug 2020, 17:46
Does anyone know once they terminate your contract , Would you still get housing allowance for three months notice period ? or you have to move back to company accommodation?
imagine you have one year lease contract and they terminate you in the middle of the month .
Thanks,

GDAJB
11th Aug 2020, 18:36
Yes you do. Salary plus usual allowances for 90 days.

mmorel
11th Aug 2020, 18:55
Thanks GDAJB
So if you leave earlier for example after 30 days will they still pay you the allowance for the remaining 60 days?

GDAJB
11th Aug 2020, 19:37
Yes, they do. It is payment in lieu of notice, so you can leave once the paperwork is complete.

APU_inop
11th Aug 2020, 21:27
mmorel

Acc to local law, you can terminate the leasing contract and have your whole deposit paid back to you as long as it is due to loss of employment.

If you were given discounts like free months etc. they have to calculate the rent pro rata.

Papa_Golf
12th Aug 2020, 11:01
What's the story with the chinese CAA not accepting qatari licenses?

Stick Flying
12th Aug 2020, 16:19
Chinese CAA = Law unto whatever they want. Accept or walk away.

krismiler
12th Aug 2020, 23:48
Qatar accept licences from most countries, some of the countries that the Qatar licence is based on may be unacceptable to CAAC. Try your original licence instead, however there may be issues with currency for medical and I/R.

planeur
13th Aug 2020, 10:35
Does anyone know if we can sue Qatar Airways?

I was flying more than 90 hours per months during FEB -August and still they force us to use all of our vacations so basically 15 days off being prison in doha and then 15 days of intense flying and then right after maxing out our hours for the following month they terminated us.
They forced us to work in dangerous situation and lay over in hotels that we might get Corona and then once they used all of out vacation times they terminated people.

I think there should be a way to sue and make this public to the world
I sympathise to a certain degree. But 'the World' watched as Al Bakar declared C19 was not a threat. Qatar maintained or even ramped up service (and prices) without pre flight covid testing, dumping many tens of thousands of potentially infected (or newly infected from the flight) passengers into our major cities with catastrophic results especially in the UK which I concede was negligent too. This as other airlines actually although no saints, cut back. The death toll and damage has been huge.

Although there are lots of sad financial, schooling and loss of dream cases in the industry. There has been a huge death toll, hardship, misery and ongoing catastrophic economic demise globally. We should take time to reflect on how we as a pilot body together with our industry have knowingly proliferated this pandemic and hope for robust future measures protecting crew, industry workers and last but not least the vulnerable populations of the nations to which we operate.

tonker
13th Aug 2020, 16:49
I have been home for a considerable amount of time now, and like my fellow associates I still haven’t been payed. Any idea what the “normal” amount of time they take to pay. My last pay packet was end of June!

mmorel
13th Aug 2020, 17:42
They usually cancel your exit permit and you can't leave Qatar until they calculate the right amount for your services.

casablanca
13th Aug 2020, 18:17
My last day was April 23.... I received end of service benefits rather quick- last pay check came end of June , so more than 2 months

mmorel
13th Aug 2020, 21:11
casablanca
did you stay two months before leaving qatar?

CDRW
14th Aug 2020, 14:35
Planeur! You doth talk out of your ass!

RoyHudd
14th Aug 2020, 16:19
QR have today announced an expansion of its flight programme to the UK. Could this be better news?

casablanca
15th Aug 2020, 13:11
mmorel

no....once they determined you are owed more money than you have obligations in Qatar then you are allowed to leave almost immediately......
I had to ask to leave asap for another job start date

Marcus555
15th Aug 2020, 20:40
New wave 😞

Silver68
15th Aug 2020, 21:16
care to share?

Skyfl410
18th Aug 2020, 16:05
Honestly, after four loooong years, i am delighted to know i was made redundant. Yes i know it's not the best moment to lose my job, but with the money, I worked hard for I can carry on for a while. The day I received the call from HR I WAS SHOCKED! Now after nearly two months I really don't miss the airline, the turnaround flights, the sleepless nights, the threatening emails from the company and the silly eLearnings on grooming.

Pilots and Cabin crew are just way stressed out by the company. On 350, the last three-four months started to become worst than hell. 130/140 hrs per month, Europe and Asia turnaround paid half of the salary, a good friend on 350 did SYD turnaround and got paid only 6 hours. Even with fewer flights most fight deck crew are stressed and fatigued ( I still wonder how QR roster managed this ).....The fear of getting a call is always round the corner. You never know when HR will call you.... the same thing happened to me after a flight I got Roster change and a phone call from HR. The company doesn't give any communication on when the redundancy will stop which creates great stress on personnel.
Managers are too busy calling pilots to the office regarding WhatsApp groups or social media, this is the only thing that seems to matter to them. They are terrified that the world knows what really goes on.
Recently thirty pilots got terminated / redundant for gossiping about the airline on a privet WhatsApp group. Qr managers have managed to control all the Whatsapp groups in the pilot community. Also, company accommodation group was closed.

The airline spends a lot of money and recourse on ENDLESS CRM courses taking about teamwork and communication but still, nobody trusts each other and management lacks in proper communication and teamwork.

Pilots and cabin crew are at high risk of being infected but are terrified to call sick days because they could lose their job even for a normal flue. This is QR SAFETY culture ....I don't understand how authorities around the world allow QR to land in their country.

The funny thing is that the national carrier of the worlds wealthiest country behaves like the worlds worst low-cost carriers.

I can say many funny things about them but i have already wasted too much of my time.

Any info you need ask in PM.

stay safe and better days will come.

Flapsupbedsdown
19th Aug 2020, 09:31
:ugh: QA "is" Qcaa!!

FlyingOW
19th Aug 2020, 09:39
No you cannot. We are doing layovers in Aus which means hotel room lockdown due current Aus regulations.

Skyfl410
19th Aug 2020, 11:49
apologise, i was not clear..i meant DOH-SYD operating SYD-DOH deadheading back. Keep in mind your not paid for DEAHEADING FLIGHTS and hours spent in the bunk.

Lucifer786
19th Aug 2020, 16:04
Skyfl410

And may I dare to enquire, are these ‘Managers’ Indians who don’t actually fly but are ‘Captains’ nevertheless … hahahahaha

Marcus555
19th Aug 2020, 16:06
Time to go back to EU,,,forget about this dessert forsaken land

Holymoly
19th Aug 2020, 17:59
Skyfl410

Nice post, I think exactly the same

Birdy1062
19th Aug 2020, 20:44
apologise, i was not clear..i meant DOH-SYD operating SYD-DOH deadheading back. Keep in mind your not paid for DEAHEADING FLIGHTS and hours spent in the bunk.

Did something similar in the past for an Italian charter company, operating crew to go, 2-3 hours on the ground , and DH back in Y class and uniform. Obviously no possibility to rest on the way back, with service, kids crying, people going to the bathroom etc....
total duty was 26h.....

Did it only once And was destroyed fro the next 3 days.
This will kill people, or driving back home cause your attention level is at the level of your shoes, or simply because your body can’t cope with that.

Shame shame shame!

mmorel
20th Aug 2020, 10:38
Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep Qatar ATPL Valid so we can apply for jobs once the situation is over maybe in three years :)

I have an A350 type rating, Do I have to come back to Qatar every year to do my medical?

Thanks

Skyfl410
20th Aug 2020, 10:49
The Indian community works pretty well i never had any issues (personal experience ) The problem is that most of the managers are all BABY Qatari captains. As I said, they are busy with silly things like catching WhatsApp groups and yes.... they don't fly

mmorel
20th Aug 2020, 10:50
Lease termination:

I found out in my lease agreement it mentioned I have to give them one-month prior notice and there will be a penalty of one month? Is this true?

"With reference to Clause no. 3 of current contract, shall the tenant be obliged to terminate the lease contract before its expiry date, due to the reason of leaving finally the State of Qatar, there should be One month prior notice and payment of penalty equal to the rent of One month except in case the tenant arranges a replacement as per Landlord terms and conditions. In either case, the remaining post-dated cheques will be returned to the Tenant upon the termination of the lease contract based on presentation of cancelled QID or submission of replacement cheques and handover of the premises in good condition."

Lucifer786
20th Aug 2020, 11:30
The QCAA ATPL is one of the least recognized ATPLs in the world and unfortunately considered amongst the least safest ( whatever that means ).
I was told this by a very popular recruitment agency who refused to accept it on grounds of its extremely low ‘safety quotient‘
🙄

Flapsupbedsdown
20th Aug 2020, 11:43

You mean out of 20 hrs in the aircraft you only get paid for....7-8? How come i know people who are so proud to be working in this outfit?

Skyfl410
20th Aug 2020, 16:29
Heey guess what!! If we were all the same, it would be boring.

Fired600
20th Aug 2020, 19:17
hamil

Recent GCAA change, and now you can

Airmann
20th Aug 2020, 19:42
Does anyone know given the current situation whether a Qatari license would be accepted in UAE/Bahrain/Saudi?

planeur
21st Aug 2020, 04:16
Planeur! You doth talk out of your ass!
Devastating argument. Perfect fit for the place you live and work.

Finally QR is belatedly implementing a 'No PCR Test - No Fly' policy. Certainly better late than never, but after such wanton profiteering, this will not bring solace to those who were infected (or their grieving relatives as a direct result of unfettered QR travel). And the answer is yes, I do have family and friends affected.

NoApu
21st Aug 2020, 05:29
Sometimes the toothless one doth speak the truth.
Planeur,your argument is not without merit!

msian1147
21st Aug 2020, 12:08
Fired600

that’s right. A friend from the unmentionable verified this

Lftm350
23rd Aug 2020, 17:55
Any update?

airbus350captain1
24th Aug 2020, 09:11
please find below stats for terminated Qatar Airways's Captain between May and July 25th of August. They started to lay off more flight crew after 25th of July but I do not have the stats.
A350 38
A330 62
A380 22
B777 35
B787 48
A320 25

Lucifer786
24th Aug 2020, 15:15
Any criterion for the layoffs ?
Lack of Performance, sick days off etc etc ?

Papa_Golf
24th Aug 2020, 15:27
Being a member of any QR related whatsapp group is THE criterion.

Count von Altibar
24th Aug 2020, 19:00
I'm surprised they're making A350 and B787 pilots redundant, I thought those ratings would be keepers.

fatbus
24th Aug 2020, 19:33
Over staffed on all fleet , trim now worry about fleet requirements later . Sub continent mafia remaining ?

Flyboysg
24th Aug 2020, 23:49
Cutting ppl but bringing back those who were stuck overseas.. hmm..

CDRW
25th Aug 2020, 04:00
Planeur. It was not an argument. It was a statement.

Ok I will bite. You wrote this drivel " .....dumping many tens of thousands....." ".....this as other airlines cut back....".

Your intention is to give the picture of Qatar Airways sucking up the worlds Covid infected people and forcing (as you say " dumping) them on various cities throughout out the world.

Most of those " infected passengers" were infact your fellow citizens who had been stranded by their booked ailines shutting down operations leaving them abandoned on the other side of the world. I am sure these rescued passengers would appreciate your comments of them being "dumped" into your precious Blighty and going forth to infect their fellow citizens. Many airlines did these rescue flights. But your silence on them is loud and speaks volume on your intent. Which gives rise to the thought that you probably have an axe to grind against QR. You a QR applicant failure, perhaps?

And oh - not for one second do I believe that had it been you and your loved ones taking a holiday in the Far East or Austrslia, and the prospect of being stranded in that country- you would have been active to tell everyone to stay put and see the pandemic out in the foreign country! No - you would have gladly been one of the " infected or about to be infected" people to be flown back to Blighty and been "dumped" on British soil!

Jack330
25th Aug 2020, 08:59
please find below stats for terminated Qatar Airways's Captain between May and July 25th of August. They started to lay off more flight crew after 25th of July but I do not have the stats.
A350 38
A330 62
A380 22
B777 35
B787 48
A320 25

I guess you're missing some numbers, I had someone check the rosters in the Company iPad and more than 500 pilots are not there anymore, last weeks they did three more rounds of elimination of about 160 pilots.

Jack330
25th Aug 2020, 09:10
True, they violated people's privacy in a coward way and terminated all those that were in private whatsapp groups, some of them didn't even write in the group but since they were admin, they were fired without appeal. The official excuse was of course Covid19.As expected, some friends of friends managed to escape the penalty, typical QR style.
For the same reason, as an excuse, they made redundant some of the best instructors they had, more than 10 years seniority, just because they were talking politely about the new contract.
This is the dictator way to scare employees and to silence every rumor at the same time, it worked perfectly, no whatsapp groups anymore, people even removed their profile picture in their private whatsapp, now tell me if this is normal.

Lftm350
25th Aug 2020, 09:50
All of them? I was in one of them and still haven’t been called back.

Lftm350
25th Aug 2020, 09:52
More like they made them redondant because of the 10 years + seniority ?

Jack330
25th Aug 2020, 12:33
absolutely not, they were suspended without pay then sacked unfortunately, the 10years seniority usually doesn’t apply to TRI TRE, let’s say they chose who they wanted.

Skyfl410
25th Aug 2020, 13:34
I confirm... I know one of the guys from Italy. Never had any problems in 9 years..his only '' mistake'' was being one of the admins of a WhatsApp group. Apparently one of the higher managers chose to save all his friends in the group even tho they were more guilty than the people that got terminated.

This is crazy .....

airbus350captain1
25th Aug 2020, 13:44
I guess you're missing some numbers, I had someone check the rosters in the Company iPad and more than 500 pilots are not there anymore, last weeks they did three more rounds of elimination of about 160 pilots.

This was till July 24th, 2020, and I'm only counting captain. I was terminated on August 28th. Yes, they have terminated 500 pilots at least including the first officer positions.

They forced me to use vacation during summer and I was stuck in Doha and in my final settlement, my annual leave balance was zero so 42 days of vacation pay is gone. that's almost 15k.

Lftm350
25th Aug 2020, 14:55
sorry for you.......:ugh: all the best.

any update? is it over yet? In limbo for weeks now ...

777kicker
25th Aug 2020, 18:13
Even some relatives of important relatives are safe and batch buddies of prominent batch buddies sleep easy nights. Some have been even called back from redundancy... amazing, ain’t it?

Jack330
26th Aug 2020, 20:31
Real relatives (soon on A350), many of us know, soon everybody else will know hopefully, not to mention selected friends spared from the whatsapp punishment.
Be patient everything will come out big time and interesting things will hit the media as well, some guys didn't take it very well I've heard.

fatbus
27th Aug 2020, 04:24
And so they shouldn't. Time to expose the selected friends and a$$ kissers .way to many good guys chopped with zero justification
​​​​​​

airbus350captain1
27th Aug 2020, 06:06
Jack330

The funny part is they also gave me overtime payment for this year on my last settlements. I have flown every month over 75 hours in 15 days and they gave me 15 days mandatory vacation.(A350 Captain)

777kicker
27th Aug 2020, 16:34
BTW, the soon to be 350 relative has been enjoying a big fat warming letter up until may, but there he is, safe and sound... talk about some luck, would ya?

mmorel
27th Aug 2020, 19:22
They make us work full time during COVID and fly back and forth to the United States and staying in the public hotels and then meet our families with possibilities of having Corona.

Anyone entering Qatar needs to be quarantined for 14 days except the crews since the crew's health does not matter.

Hopefully, there will be justice.

Silver68
27th Aug 2020, 19:48
mmorel

What justice do you seek? All airline pilots that are working are subject to exactly the same working conditions.

fatbus
27th Aug 2020, 23:15
Silver , I don't think so mate ! Where are you working ? ME working conditions can not be compared to western world working conditions.

Silver68
28th Aug 2020, 07:42
Fatbus.
Just to clarify, I was referring to the fact that any long haul pilots still operating, are subject to the same process regarding 'public' hotels and avoiding quarantine on return. With that in mind, I was just wondering what justice mmorel sought from Qatar.

The subject of ME working conditions is something I am well aware of (7 years experience), and I would never suggest that any of the ME three were on a parr with a major carrier in countries such as USA, UK, Europe etc.

mmorel
28th Aug 2020, 10:24
They made me work for 80 hours per month during FEB-AUG and then they terminated my contract and ask me to move back to my country, I can assure you that I have flown more hours during COVID than last year. That's not fair.

1. Regarding the ISP pension plan, They also cheated on us, they gave us 90 days of payment but they only included the amount on old EOS which is for someone over 5 years is 28 days but for ISP is 36.5 days so $3500 less payment.

Skyfl410
28th Aug 2020, 10:33
Silver68

Not when you have a CEO who believed that the virus didn't exist ...This is what he said
“During the incubation period, they say that this virus can be transmitted. There is no scientific evidence for that. It is just, you know, a fear factor,”

From March to June Pilots and CC carried on normal OPS without any pre-flight temperature checks, tampon tests ecc ecc ...exposing everyone (crew and families) at high-risk.
Most of the airlines around stopped operations or tested Staff before and after each flight.

Silver68
28th Aug 2020, 11:03
mmorel

Guys, just to be clear; i was referring to the above post specifically. I'm not justifying or arguing against any of the points you raise. I am simply pointing out that many airlines are still operating internationally, even if at a reduced capacity. All pilots and cabin crew have to stay in hotels and then return to base and ultimately their families, thus putting family members at risk. With that said, I was merely asking what sort of justice would you be looking for?

planeur
28th Aug 2020, 11:49
You're obviously missing the point or choosing to miss the point. You fixate on Britain and British passengers and then seek to justify Qatar moving these 'rescued' untested, corralled and ripped off passengers.

It wasn't just Britain but Europe, the USA, Asia and Australia to name but a few. In the months before pre flight PCR testing and other necessary countermeasures, most carriers had radically reduced flights. Many including EK and EY ceased operating pax flights. Colleagues and I watched FR24 in disbelief as day and night in otherwise empty skies, lines Qatar passenger aircraft streamed out of Doha and into, well, everywhere, disgorging infected passengers into major cities. Were the pax thankful? Yes if they were unscathed. But although inconvenient it would have been far safer for most to stay put until countermeasures were in place. But no, not QR; with the CEO declaring it was safe, your 'rescue' flights did their work and seeing the lack of competition, ramped up the prices to profiteer.

Should the governments have intervened? Many did, and those countries had a miniscule death toll by comparison. The passengers themselves can't be blamed; if a flight was made available the layman would assume it was safe and if necessary, travel. I'm not unique in these criticisms. It has been featured in the media, many colleagues hold the same view plus even your own staff made a hilarious parody of a QR commercial highlighting the same. It was a disastrous decision to operate at that intensity at that time. I don't blame the pilots and crew as they were doing their jobs and hey, its the middle east. But to defend the actual company decision shows blind allegiance, lack of empathy and a failure to grasp the wider issue.

Although a competitor, QR have an excellent product (I'm told). I have no axe to grind generally, just this issue which cost lives.
Your jibe about 'You a QR applicant failure, perhaps?' was uncalled for and low. I never needed to apply, but I can tell you that over the years I've had a procession of ex QR FOs and Cabin Crew in the cockpit, all delighted to be out. So apply? I don't think so. So sit down, have a little think, and then get back to me in your ghastliest Level 4 English. There'll be no reply from me. Topic highlighted.

Stay safe everyone

Skyfl410
29th Aug 2020, 08:06
I totally agree with you.

Skyfl410
29th Aug 2020, 08:11
BTW, the soon to be 350 relative has been enjoying a big fat warming letter up until may, but there he is, safe and sound... talk about some luck, would ya?
Come on!! A warning letter is nothing compared to Whatsapp groups ;)

Count von Altibar
29th Aug 2020, 11:03
Planeur is correct in what he says, I remember all this to be what happened and had a friend that used QR to get back from SE Asia and they were relieved to get back just before the UK lockdown started. Sad fact that modern air travel spreads the virus successfully to the four corners of the earth and rapidly. That's why the richer economies suffered the worst in the beginning of the pandemic due to being well connected. The CEO's comments at the time were just ill informed rubbish he'd do better to keep his comments to himself than come out with such drivel. As to the whatsapp redundancy that just beggars belief that a company would use that as a method to select people for redundancy.

Papa_Golf
29th Aug 2020, 11:05
As to the whatsapp redundancy that just beggars belief that a company would use that as a method to select people for redundancy.

Yet, that’s exactly what’s happening.

Jack330
29th Aug 2020, 11:37
That is exactly what happened, most probably this username belongs to a troll from the company.
They violated people's privacy by looking and even sharing screenshots sent by some coward and called more than 100 pilots in the office, shouted at them, suspended many without pay, left them there stuck in doha for almost a month then made them redundand usid the covid excuse to cover up the nazi style elimination. I know some of the guys who left the company, they did absolutely nothing, excellent pilots, no letters, nothing, hard workers, now they can finally make space for their below average pilots, including their friends and even relatives of the manager in flight ops and I'm not only talking about Qatari guys.

Flapsupbedsdown
29th Aug 2020, 11:50
There are quite a few Honored and Proud to be working in this ....outfit:)

Fonse1977
30th Aug 2020, 04:57
Jack330

Very sad and unfair

Skyfl410
1st Sep 2020, 11:34
That is exactly what happened, most probably this username belongs to a troll from the company.
They violated people's privacy by looking and even sharing screenshots sent by some coward and called more than 100 pilots in the office, shouted at them, suspended many without pay, left them there stuck in doha for almost a month then made them redundand usid the covid excuse to cover up the nazi style elimination. I know some of the guys who left the company, they did absolutely nothing, excellent pilots, no letters, nothing, hard workers, now they can finally make space for their below average pilots, including their friends and even relatives of the manager in flight ops and I'm not only talking about Qatari guys.

Top manager saved his Friends this is crazy. I hope AB wakes up...

fatbus
1st Sep 2020, 14:57
Very typical ME and associated Sub continent management types ! QR is the worst , but EK same same .

5star
1st Sep 2020, 19:54
indeed Fatbus
It’s like EK and QR try to outdo each other.
Did you see the list of guys who were kicked out @ EK ranked by seniority?
It certainly seems that TCB made sure that all his buddies remained on inboard.
i coudn’t believe the rumor, until i saw the spreadsheet myself...some strange gaps in the list...
And no we’re not talking about the locals who ofcourse stay onboard and live in a different galaxy.
zero work but full pay.....

Jack330
1st Sep 2020, 21:22
The manager in question is not a local, he's from europe ! I'm not sure that AB knows the dirty things they're doing or maybe he does... The other news is that the company is not paying the redundant guys their final settlement money, at least not to the guys that were in the ISP Zurich program, more than two months wasted waiting for the money, no reply to phone calls or email as well, just wait and pray, this is shameful, far away from the "five star" image they're trying to show.

tonker
1st Sep 2020, 22:18
I’m still waiting for my final settlement two months after getting home. I’ve emailed numerous times and am now getting really short of cash. Very disappointing.

Papa_Golf
2nd Sep 2020, 07:09
Same story here. No reply from HR to my daily email.

I took for granted that they would keep their end of the bargain. I hope I wasn’t too “naive”.

Skyfl410
2nd Sep 2020, 10:17
indeed Fatbus
It’s like EK and QR try to outdo each other.
Did you see the list of guys who were kicked out @ EK ranked by seniority?
It certainly seems that TCB made sure that all his buddies remained on inboard.
i coudn’t believe the rumor, until i saw the spreadsheet myself...some strange gaps in the list...
And no we’re not talking about the locals who ofcourse stay onboard and live in a different galaxy.
zero work but full pay.....
I am sure that in EK the locals don't become fleet managers after landing in unstable conditions..But guess what?? They do in QR only because they are locals;)

ps The F/o got a warning

Skyfl410
2nd Sep 2020, 10:18
I’m still waiting for my final settlement two months after getting home. I’ve emailed numerous times and am now getting really short of cash. Very disappointing.
They are probably busy checking out WhatsApp groups...

mmorel
5th Sep 2020, 11:54
So true. I was part of the Whatsapp group too and I was not active in the group. Maybe that's why my contract was terminated. I think Flight crews need to create their own Union so Qatar Airways could not dictate what they want. Without Union, they can terminate anyone's contract and all other flight crews won't care as long as they are still employed. They don't understand that at some point this might happen to them as well.

Corona taught me a lesson about Qatar Airways. It's the best airline when they need a pilot and it can be a worse airline when they don't need you.

I always thought other airlines such as American airlines, etc are worse compare to Qatar as they do not offer business class tickets, Worldwide medical coverage, etc but I changed my mind now.

Good luck everyone.

Airmann
5th Sep 2020, 13:51
It won't happen, due to the principle of the prisoners dilemma. Which basically states that individuals in a group will not choose the optimum outcome for the group due to fear of non compliance by the other members.

sony
5th Sep 2020, 18:48
I always thought other airlines such as American airlines, etc are worse compare to Qatar as they do not offer business class tickets, Worldwide medical coverage, etc but I changed my mind now.

Good luck everyone.

That’s not at all accurate. Pretty much all US airlines offer world wide medical coverage and FREE/zero cost unlimited (space available) travel in highest class open. They just don’t offer “confirmed” J class.

Themeatfleet
5th Sep 2020, 20:46
motel

think you’ll find that trade unions are illegal in all of the middle eastern countries...... everyone knows this when they sign up though..... it’s always a trade off - better money, quicker progression, and a chance to show the ritzy life and travels to folks back home.

everyone has different reasons for being in the Middle East, and for a lot of folks it works, but it has always been clear that those folks who have waited patiently in line at legacy carriers will be looked after much better than those who rolled the quick win dice in the Middle East. That’s not to say there aren’t legacy Carrier guys who are suffering, but strong IR law and strong unions are still a good hundred years away in the desert.

i am truly sorry that your journey has come to an end though and I hope you and everyone else in this terrible situation manages to find a way back into the sky soon!

Jack330
6th Sep 2020, 08:49
Just a new update from a friend, one of the whatsapp victims, he was made redundant at the beginning of July then suspended and kept without ANY communication and NO salary for more than a month in the accomodation, today, September 6 he's still waiting for his final settlement money, this is the way qatar airways treats ex employees, I would say a five star treatment, amazing right ? Considering that those guys went flying during their days off or while on leave just to help the company during the covid issue, congratulations Qatar Airways, you are truly a five star airline

gtaflyer
6th Sep 2020, 12:18
The airlines are doing a bigger damage than you think because for those being made redundant in mid fifties onwards, not only is your flying cut short but also bringing your flying career to an abrupt end. Many did not see this coming but unfortunate it will be very difficult to get job at this age but also many will have not kept their licenses current back home. COVID recovery when it happens might be too late for some.

i think it’s prudent to think of a career change now while Many have financial stability and savings to tie over don’t think the airlines will ever care for the pilot accept as fodder. .. they don’t Care about you period !!

For many the loss of the job this summer has not quite sunk in yet or it they still in denial that it actually has happened. I think the need to prioritise now is vital and immediate, get your end of service benefit first, Then get out of this expensive place, the lines back home are getting longer.

Airmann
6th Sep 2020, 13:43
think you’ll find that trade unions are illegal in all of the middle eastern countries......

No that's not entirely true, i know that the GF pilots have a union, but it's only for locals.
There are a number of unions for other industries as well in Bahrain and Oman.

casablanca
6th Sep 2020, 13:48
That’s not at all accurate. Pretty much all US airlines offer world wide medical coverage and FREE/zero cost unlimited (space available) travel in highest class open. They just don’t offer “confirmed” J class.
Qatar had wonderful staff travel and I still miss it...But it wasn't exactly cheap, you paid a quite a bit! For example a roundtrip in Business to the USA was around $500
1x per year we had a free ticket home for the family
Most US airlines charge almost nothing for staff travel

mmorel
6th Sep 2020, 18:38
Also noted They terminate Alkoot insurance on your departure from Qatar ...Most of the insurance back home needs 90 days grace period so I don't have any insurance in my home country. Instead of making sure they care about staff's health during these times they just kick you out of Qatar with no health insurance.

Lftm350
6th Sep 2020, 19:24
gtaflyer

this is a mess..... very sad... what about stranded people ? I have been outside of Qatar for 4 months now.

Silver68
6th Sep 2020, 20:10
You left Qatar during lockdown? Some have been out of Qatar for 6 months.

BOEMBUS
7th Sep 2020, 04:22
Qatar had wonderful staff travel and I still miss it...But it wasn't exactly cheap, you paid a quite a bit! For example a roundtrip in Business to the USA was around $500
1x per year we had a free ticket home for the family
Most US airlines charge almost nothing for staff travel

That's amazing of the US carriers.. Good thing the tickets are virtually free. Imagine if they also took income tax at over 45% of your hard earned money.. That would have been a real downer..

Fonse1977
7th Sep 2020, 20:03
In the Spanish whatsup group someone wrote: one of the suspended pilots was upset with the company and grounded an aircraft, don’t know if true but hilarious! Anyone heard the same?
; )

Silver68
8th Sep 2020, 06:11
Really? And you think it’s hilarious? If an aircraft is grounded, it’s grounded. You sound as genuine as your question.

Count von Altibar
8th Sep 2020, 12:05
Have the redundancies stopped for now or are they still happening? For the pilots who remain employed at QR it can't be a safe feeling if they're still ongoing without any kind of structure or published plan.

Fonse1977
8th Sep 2020, 18:07
Hahahaha
was that you?

Jack330
8th Sep 2020, 20:46
In the Spanish whatsup group someone wrote: one of the suspended pilots was upset with the company and grounded an aircraft, don’t know if true but hilarious! Anyone heard the same?
; )
Hialrious ? Not only is not hilarious, it's also a complete bull****. Grounding an aircraft because you're upset ? Then what, go to jail ?

Flapsupbedsdown
9th Sep 2020, 09:03
No that's not entirely true, i know that the GF pilots have a union, but it's only for locals.
There are a number of unions for other industries as well in Bahrain and Oman.

https://www.newsofbahrain.com/bahrain/65491.html

Skyfl410
9th Sep 2020, 09:51
Have the redundancies stopped for now or are they still happening? For the pilots who remain employed at QR it can't be a safe feeling if they're still ongoing without any kind of structure or published plan.
Even before the Redundancies, there was no SAFE feeling in Qr... Its just standard Qatar airways fear policy.

Lucifer786
9th Sep 2020, 13:35
Top manager saved his Friends this is crazy. I hope AB wakes up...
This manager a guy from the sub continent with name as a Capt. D ?
Well he’s a notorious a$$ ri$$er for AAB. And all that only to secure his own position in this pathetic excuse of a company 🙄

NoodleDriver
9th Sep 2020, 19:43
https://www.airlineratings.com/news/will-take-60-777x-aircraft-says-qatar-airways/

QRAviator
9th Sep 2020, 20:19
Well, apparently it's not done yet. More 320 guys have been let go just today.

FlyingAce77
11th Sep 2020, 08:50
Insanity, Basically so far 829 Flight Deck crew have been laid off...

rolloutflare
11th Sep 2020, 09:18
Doubt so, with this pandemic, Airlines worldwide will have their pick at their discretion when time comes to do so. Thousands will line up for the rejoining, no hard feelings, and if there is, move aside and cry on your own while many will simply keep moving on.

FlyingAce77
11th Sep 2020, 09:23
I am not talking about Airline anymore, it is more, maybe you haven't see all the social media frenzy regarding Qatar on twitter and FB Pages, glad people have stood up, and are openly talking about, and i am happy, i am leaving early next yeat :)

Silver68
11th Sep 2020, 09:32
What's EEP?

Can you elaborate on the social media frenzy? I'm completely oblivious as I don't subscribe to any...

EFB123
12th Sep 2020, 05:43
Does anyone have any thoughts on when (and if) they will start asking people to rejoin?

Silver68
12th Sep 2020, 10:04
I would imagine that’s a while yet. There are still hundreds of stranded pilots yet to return to work.

Python27
12th Sep 2020, 10:39
Does anyone have any thoughts on when (and if) they will start asking people to rejoin?

Mein Gott...

777kicker
12th Sep 2020, 11:26
No, the guy is from the Italian subcontinent, also known as Sicily: and he “hand picked” an extra share of Italians to sacrifice to mask the few relatives and Ar Force buddies he “hand picked “ to save, so that nobody could call him out on the ****...

The body count will stop at 1050. Which relates with 65 to 75 airplanes grounded. Make your own math.

Take a comfortable seat, while you wait...

fatbus
12th Sep 2020, 12:29
All 3 ME carriers rely heavily on the sub continent for traffic. India, as an example , @90000 single day positive cases for covid . Dubai single day @900 . Not sure traffic is going to return for some time as these numbers indicate possible lock down again . QR might be able to adapt better than EK because of fleet composition but still could be years! Take a guess at this point in time .

Romasik
13th Sep 2020, 00:00
On numbers India looks much better then most of the countries considering it’s population. Can we trust their numbers - this is another issue.

gtaflyer
13th Sep 2020, 09:30
Anyone left out due to vacation etc and COVID ban think themselves lucky if they are with family and friends. If families separated then it’s goes with territory ..sorry. My suggestion Is get the family out ASAP and sell everything in sandpit, the goods furniture cars are no value anywhere else. Think long term another career, business anything but airlines and air travel. I always kept my family back home where rock solid grammar schools cheap cost of living and most of all law and order where you have protection (well sort of except USA).

Skyfl410
15th Sep 2020, 18:01
I am not talking about Airline anymore, it is more, maybe you haven't see all the social media frenzy regarding Qatar on twitter and FB Pages, glad people have stood up, and are openly talking about, and i am happy, i am leaving early next yeat :)

Hi flyingace77, can you be more specific about FB and Twitter? can you send some links..

Doubt so, with this pandemic, Airlines worldwide will have their pick at their discretion when time comes to do so. Thousands will line up for the rejoining, no hard feelings, and if there is, move aside and cry on your own while many will simply keep moving on.

I doubt there is going to be a long line to rejoin QR. After all the salary cuts, more stress on flights, more stress for stupid things by management (CHECKING WHATSAPP pilot groups is one of them) and many more things that are really wrong in Qr..

Also noted They terminate Alkoot insurance on your departure from Qatar ...Most of the insurance back home needs 90 days grace period so I don't have any insurance in my home country. Instead of making sure they care about staff's health during these times they just kick you out of Qatar with no health insurance.
They just don't care mate..

Just a new update from a friend, one of the whatsapp victims, he was made redundant at the beginning of July then suspended and kept without ANY communication and NO salary for more than a month in the accomodation, today, September 6 he's still waiting for his final settlement money, this is the way qatar airways treats ex employees, I would say a five star treatment, amazing right ? Considering that those guys went flying during their days off or while on leave just to help the company during the covid issue, congratulations Qatar Airways, you are truly a five star airline

This is crazy

16th Sep 2020, 01:02

I was wondering the same. Any update?

mmorel
24th Sep 2020, 15:53
I have a question in regard to Gratuity payment... I signed up for ISP and I noticed the way the calculated end of service benefit is wrong.
As an example, someone with a service period of 7 years and 9 months will receive 8 years of service ( (90 days termination notice).

gratuity pay @ 21 days basic salary for 1825 days ( 5 years) = 150,000 QR
Gratuity pay @ 28 days basic salary for 1095 days (3 years)=. 120,000 QR

Total =270,000 QR

They stopped contributing to ISP right after your termination so they won't be depositing any money to ISP for the 90 days termination.
And since ISP has outperformed and acquire interest since inception 2016.
So imagine this person has up until the last day of employment not 320,000 QR.

So according to Qatar airways, they won't have to add any gratuity pay since the amount is higher in your ISP account.

Leemankin
26th Sep 2020, 22:55
I can only suggest you visit the ZIO website to find out your total contributions and where you've invested your money into (investment strategy-you chose when you enrolled for ISP). What I do is check it most of the time and see whether I'm making money out of my present strategy in the short term. Then look at the options available on whether I can gain by changing it for the long term. This also shows me whether how much is the approximate value of my entire portfolio (Company contributions plus my additional contribution).
And by the way, your computation is based on those people who didn't get ISP (gratuity payment, based on EOSB without investing). As to the actual amount it varies I believe based on the additional contributions (5%, 10% or 15%) you have signed for and again the Investment Strategy you've chosen. But it would help a lot if you visit the website and from there you can print all your contributions plus the company's share and compare this to the actual value (surrender value) stated in your account.
Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

mmorel
27th Sep 2020, 06:46
What I meant was , when they terminate you they are not going to pay the last three months of contribution (5% of your salary into the program) .they just going to calculate what they own you from old program

FlyingOW
27th Sep 2020, 13:58
That should be in your final settlement surely. Pay in-lieu of notice. As you were made redundant the 90 days worth of allowances should be in final settlement?

Slamitin
27th Sep 2020, 14:52
I’m not sure that’s correct OW

The policy documents state that QR will continue to contribute towards the savings plan fund (fund A) up to the last calendar day of the previous month, prior to the last working day (LWD) of an Employee.

mmorel
27th Sep 2020, 17:15
I have already received my final settlement, there is a column called "notice days paid 90 days" but this is not including the %5 mandatory contribution of the employer for the 90 days. So it's meant they won't pay you 15% of your salary contribution for the 90 days to ISP. When they terminate your contract they are not going to let you fly for them for the 90 days period. They just pay you upfront the three months.

If someone voluntarily quit the company then they will pay you up until your last working day but not when they terminate your contract. Which is sad.

Leemankin
27th Sep 2020, 17:38
mmorel,
I am not against you clarifying this with HR, but I think you misunderstood the "payment in lieu of - Notice Period (90 days)". The 5% is included in that payment which I assume would be your contribution. The company's share would be 10%, as far as I know since I check my ISP contribution every month.
You might be wondering why they didn't pay this 10%-company contribution to you (for this 90 days notice period)? My only answer is because of the "Payment in Lieu of" notice period. You don't really have a case regarding this, as you have been paid for that 90 days in Lieu of your services, meaning you can and you may leave the job without having to work for this 90 days. That's probably contrary to your understanding, but if it so, you may email them and find out yourself. goodluck

mmorel
27th Sep 2020, 18:40
THanks Leemankin.

Yes , That was my question, my 10 % company contribution was around $1500 per month and it was not included in 90 days in Lieu of my service. I guess that's how it works.

Thanks for the clarification.

UdD
4th Oct 2020, 04:26
Considering all the cuts have been done and their costs to the company; I don't expect anything before 2022...

tonker
6th Oct 2020, 17:37
Some of those who were stuck abroad, are starting to be called back. Anyone Jesé here this?

Silver68
6th Oct 2020, 17:53
Yes. Many have been notified today to start the process.

tonker
6th Oct 2020, 20:15
Hopefully it won’t be a short stay when they return.....

Count von Altibar
7th Oct 2020, 12:01
Maybe they're being called back to fly, let's hope so. I read the other day QR were going to ramp up flying.

Flying Clog
7th Oct 2020, 16:30
That's it chaps! Spread the 'rona', just like you did in the beginning. That'll learn them! At least you'll make a few bucks on the way! Sod the lot!

Silver68
7th Oct 2020, 16:39
Yup, Qatar Airways sure have a lot of explaining to do..... spreading that virus. Imagine if other airlines flew during a pandemic.

fatbus
7th Oct 2020, 20:08
They don't care about the virus . Future market share =$$$

Lucifer786
8th Oct 2020, 09:58
Would be nice to see the turnaround in their strategy if AAB gets the ‘rona’ … 😬

Jack330
8th Oct 2020, 11:12
I’ve heard that a Captain committed suicide because of his termination, hopefully it’s only a rumor, can anyone confirm please ?

light and variable
8th Oct 2020, 12:24
Why should anybody "confirm this please" ? This may be your thread but there is nothing intelligent in that question; unless you are perverse enough to be comparing suicide rates across the industry whole . . . ????

Jack330
8th Oct 2020, 14:57
Perversion has nothing to do with this mate, read the post properly, I was asking if it was a rumor because that’s what I hope.
I asked because if it happened for real ( and I really hope it didn’t) it could be someone we know.
Maybe you’re the one who lacks intelligence.
this is a rumor forum if you don’t like it just leave, who do you think you are, the sheriff of the forum ?