PDA

View Full Version : Departure - Destinations Customs Internationally

b263354
5th Jun 2020, 12:54
Good folks,

Three questions if someone would be so kind as to answer.

1) When flying from a country to another country (Say from a local airfield in Canada, to a local destination airfield in Chile), I know that at destination one has to clear customs, but can you say depart from any airfield without customs and at the destination clear customs? Or do you have to first fly from a local airfield to an airport with customs in the departing country and clear customs there, depart to the destination and clear customs again at the first appropriate airport, then fly to the intended local airport in that country?

2) I presume that when flying commercially this is not allowed except between the US and Europe (Cabotage), but if say you are not flying commercially, is it then allowed to fly on within the destination country after clearing customs to any (local) airport within the destination country?

3) If I fly without reimbursement, say as a "favour" for the client, is above mentioned point at # 2 applicable, or is it so that when I am payed for the service, I am automatically flying commercially thus all the rules for flying a commercial aircraft apply as ay for Netjets?

I ask this because a client is wondering if to continue with chartering aircraft and having to change to a locally operated aircraft to fly on to destinations within the destination country sometimes when applicable, or to just purchase an aircraft, find his own crew and fly it anywhere with it only being managed by an FBO, sidestepping the rules so to say as those are applicable when flying via a commercial private jet company. It might be more expensive but he could just stay seated and fly form any airport to any airport more or less in the world

Kind regards,

Jay

Duchess_Driver
5th Jun 2020, 15:48
Normally you depart your own country from a customs airfield or one “notified” or on concession. Your local AIAP entry will/should tell you for your specific airfield.

You fly to a customs airfield in the destination country (or agin, one that is concessioned) - the whole process is covered by a General Declaration submitted to the authorities in advance.

Whether you are being paid or not to fly the aircraft has no bearing on where the aircraft can go once it has been through customs at the other end. In simplistic terms if it’s the bosses aircraft and no person on board is being charged for travel then it is not considered a commercial activity.

if it’s the bosses aircraft, it could also be subject to less regulation than it would if operated by an AOC holder and more destinations “Open” to you.

Unless your boss is travelling very regularly then chartered aircraft will be cheaper to operate/own.

b263354
5th Jun 2020, 19:51
Thank you for the quick response. We are getting some conflicting reports on this from Brokers that is why I am informing here.

So I understand one must always attend customs at departure and of course customs at destination, and when it is his own aircraft not commercially operated he can fly so to speak anywhere in the world after this not having to deal with the matter of cabotage or sorts. I have heard some charter companies are limited in this matter, but they can then connect you with a local operator to continue your journey.

If an FBO manages (in part) your aircraft, it is then also not considered commercially operated? I believe if you lend it out for rent by them to cut costs, it is then and it starts applying to you too?

Concerning duty rest periods, I have heard that they are not as stringent on privately operated aircraft in comparison to commercially operated. the 10/24 rule does not apply in that case for the aircrew and they have some more time to manoeuvre?

Kind Regards, Jay

Tinstaafl
6th Jun 2020, 01:59
Not quite re where to depart from. It depends on each country's own rules. In the US, for example, you can depart from any airstrip as long as the Customs office that covers that area is notified, and you must arrive at a Customs airport. In the Bahamas you must both depart and arrive at a Customs airport.

DCThumb
6th Jun 2020, 07:22
You are getting differing answers because the answer is different for every country. In some countries, you arrive at a customs port of entry and are given a ‘permit to proceed’ which allows you to fly internally. Usually in these cases you have to depart from a customs airport.

With crew duty, again it depends on the country of registration of the aircraft. Usually the limitations are less stringent for private flying.

To get a more accurate answer would require knowing more about your intended area of operation and home basing of the aircraft. However, when it comes to ‘owning’ an aircraft, the biggest driver between flying private and commercial is usually tax, both on aircraft purchase and fuel, and therefore how much the principal is prepared to pay for the advantages of private flying.

calypso
6th Jun 2020, 15:49
Saving money on crew duty times does not seem very clever. After all those times are only there to avoid accidents due to fatigued crews.

skibeagle
6th Jun 2020, 17:27
Hi guys, not sure if it is appropriate, but beware that once you arrive in a foreign country, you may not be able to necessarily transport passengers within said country. Case in point came up with me in Switzerland. Internal ferry flights to Mxx we’re fine. Internal movement within the EU may be an issue too, requiring paying VAT etc... Even Canada customs have asked questions of N reg aircraft within Canada before now. US doesn’t seem to care in my experience.

sorry if I’m off topic.

b263354
7th Jun 2020, 19:55
Thanks for all the answers.

Money is not much of an issue here, aircraft might be registered under a company/ family business umbrella or sorts, accountant still looking into the possibilities. Stated has been that it is easiest to register the aircraft in the continent where there is to be flown the most, the US or Europe. But for say South America and Africa or Asia, generally what registration would work the best, an American or European registration? Anyone any experience flying privates/ business in these continents with aircraft under different registrations?

If the trip might involve multiple legs, for refueling en route one may only do that at an airport that has customs, even if no one disembarks? And can/ do authorities give more hassle to privately owned jets versus owned by a business, anyone experience on this worldwide Latin America. Africa, Asia?

Does anyone have experience when having to do more than 1 leg to get to a destination? Maxing out the range and flight time of the crew? I gather it's customs, everyone taking a hotel and departing the next day again. Any tips or trics?

g450cpt
26th Jun 2020, 13:48
b263354

I have flown US reg, Isle of Man reg, Bermuda Reg, and Aruba reg aircraft for HNWIs all over the world. There is not much difference in the operation as long as the homework is done properly. Yes, even in the longest range aircraft available today, the intended trip can exceed the range of the aircraft and and the safe duty time of the crew. One can always augment the crew from the departure to extend a bit or reposition a fresh crew at the tech stop to keep the aircraft moving to the final destination. Be careful picking tech stops with a single crew where everyone spends the night and continues the next day, as visas could become an issue. Most things are possible with the right amount of funds, it just takes proper planning. Get yourself a reputable management company and it's worry free, get yourself a "fly-by-night management company/operator and it can turn into an expensive proposition with many hassles. Send me a private message if you have anymore questions and I will be happy to answer.

g450cpt