PDA

View Full Version : Expats back to Asia?

Skippy69
5th Jun 2020, 00:52
G'day,
What are the opinions of those of you who are preferably Aussies and us ever going back to Asia to work as a collective? Meaning, that I haven't worked there before but it does interest me? Also, how the bloody hell do you get over there initially with the job and all? Where you all working here for Virgin or Qantas/ Jetstar before making the lucrative move? I was a GA junkie, then made a move to the States, thats all fallen apart so exploring alternative paths.

brokenagain
5th Jun 2020, 01:13
With all due respect all I can say is good luck. You’ll be joining the queue of the many hundreds of Australian pilots that already work for Asian airlines that have either been let go or stood down, not to mention the hundreds of others that have been let go by the Australian airlines looking northwards trying to work out how the hell to move forward in this job. There’s always Woolies or Coles if you’re thinking of coming back to Aus.

BAe 146-100
5th Jun 2020, 08:44
Join the queue... no special perks for being a aussie, sorry for the reality check.

Superpilot
5th Jun 2020, 08:48
Good luck to any Aussie, Brit or American right now. If you know anything about the Chinese you know that they are experts at short term reactionary measures. The latest furore over Hong Kong means people from these countries will be looked at unfavorably by government departments. In the past certain nationals have been blocked from having jobs because of political spats.

j.nips
5th Jun 2020, 10:08
G'day,
What are the opinions of those of you who are preferably Aussies and us ever going back to Asia to work as a collective? Meaning, that I haven't worked there before but it does interest me? Also, how the bloody hell do you get over there initially with the job and all? Where you all working here for Virgin or Qantas/ Jetstar before making the lucrative move? I was a GA junkie, then made a move to the States, thats all fallen apart so exploring alternative paths.

Most of Asian operators require thousands of hours on jet with at least 1500 as PIC. Majority of them also require a type rating and there are only a few offering (well this is all before covid19) FO positions.

Collective agreement for expats is non existent as far as i know. We are (well we were) a necessity for their expansion. I don't know of any operator jumping for joy to have expats: we are expensive, we want to commute, we need to convert our licenses, need work visas, etc. Locals are cheaper and well, they are locals. They are just not available in numbers required, for now, or until now.

slayerdude
29th Jun 2020, 08:10
Sometimes.... we really get funny ones here!!!!!!!!

cochise
29th Jun 2020, 10:19
I think for everyone it will be "back to home" for a while wherever you may call that. All you need to do is open LinkedIn to see the hundreds of redundancy posts being made (if you have an aviation network) ranging from test pilots with 20000+ hours to GA guys. If you don't get it, this is turning out to be the worst game of musical chairs in the history of our industry. Any flying job you can get and hold right now is precious.