PDA

View Full Version : Air Tanker

haltonapp
3rd Jun 2020, 18:45
What is the global down turn in aviation doing to Air Tankers bottom line, how are they managing without any income from the unused assets of the RAF A330 fleet?

Door Slider
3rd Jun 2020, 22:53
What is the global down turn in aviation doing to Air Tankers bottom line, how are they managing without any income from the unused assets of the RAF A330 fleet?

The MoD contract provides the Air Tanker consortium with a profit, any 3rd party revenue generated from the non core aircraft was even more profit. They will not go bust during the downturn if that’s what you’re wondering.

NutLoose
4th Jun 2020, 17:11
They have furloughed some folks I believe.

Rigga
6th Jun 2020, 15:35
I know that many are working from home but I haven’t heard of any furloughs to date. I shall quietly enquire...

I stand corrected! - about 70 have been furloughed.

chevvron
7th Jun 2020, 07:18
According to other forums, Voyagers have been up almost every day for replenishment of aircraft called out on QRAs.

Jhieminga
7th Jun 2020, 21:12
And they made a run down to the Falklands in record time: https://www.airtanker.co.uk/media/news/airtanker-news/direct-flight-record

Chris Kebab
8th Jun 2020, 06:47
And they made a run down to the Falklands in record time: https://www.airtanker.co.uk/media/news/airtanker-news/direct-flight-record
Impressive; but intrigued why they never did this before, does it impose additional weight limits, pax numbers etc?

6foottanker
12th Jun 2020, 16:36
Impressive; but intrigued why they never did this before, does it impose additional weight limits, pax numbers etc?

Because previously, other commercial competitors have never had the excess capacity to offer the direct MPN option to the U.K. Government! This may be Air Tanker proving a point. And yes, limited pax, but not many travelling These days anyway.

Saintsman
12th Jun 2020, 19:07
What did the mod to the aircraft involve?

Tanks?

LS8C1
12th Jun 2020, 19:25
What did the mod to the aircraft involve?

Tanks?
Probably the fact that the only personnel moves are those that are essential, therefore not as many people and associated luggage, thus more available space for fuel on a lighter aircraft load.

vascodegama
12th Jun 2020, 19:53
According to the article the mod was provision of proper crew rest facilities to allow the 2 crews to operate the route direct between them.

I would be interested to hear what payload the ac managed.

NutLoose
12th Jun 2020, 20:24
According to the article the mod was provision of proper crew rest facilities to allow the 2 crews to operate the route direct between them.

I would be interested to hear what payload the ac managed.

bigger galley? 😉

salad-dodger
12th Jun 2020, 21:27
Probably the fact that the only personnel moves are those that are essential, therefore not as many people and associated luggage, thus more available space for fuel on a lighter aircraft load.
Hmmm, interesting. More available space for fuel, where? Fill a few empty seats with some jerrycans?

Door Slider
13th Jun 2020, 07:19
Hmmm, interesting. More available space for fuel, where? Fill a few empty seats with some jerrycans?

“Space” for fuel was badly worded, a reduction in passengers, luggage, cargo allows that weight saving to be used for fuel, using the existing tanks. No additional fuel tanks are required, it just means you can actually fill them up to full and the result is you can achieve MPN in one flight.

6foottanker
13th Jun 2020, 07:21
No more fuel. If you recall not too long ago, a Voyager flew direct to Buenos Aires. The limitation is crew duty, and the provision of crew rest facilities has enabled carriage of additional crew members to legally provide extra duty time.

sunnybunny
13th Jun 2020, 08:08
Where would the rest facilities be placed. I know on BA dreamliners there are 2 crew rest areas. 1 just behind the cockpit above the galley and 1 in the fin area for cabin crew.

Were these A330 fitted similarly?

BA Bluntie
13th Jun 2020, 10:13
There are least two crew rest options for the A330-200.
A flight crew rest module from Collins Aerospace that fits behind the flight deck.
A lower deck combined Flight and Cabin crew rest module that occupies forward hold space.

stilton
13th Jun 2020, 15:18
Didn’t BA operate a few non stop charters to / from the Falklands using the 747 ?

Top West 50
14th Jun 2020, 19:44
Was the previous record held by a 10 Sqn VC10 and did Geoff Barrell do the AAR brackets for them? He was one of the best at the pilot's sport of Kings.

wiggy
14th Jun 2020, 20:01
Didn’t BA operate a few non stop charters to / from the Falklands using the 747 ?

I could be wrong, I often am, but were they non-stop? I think they were operated before the arrival of the 747-400 and I suspect UK-FI non stop in a 747-200 would have been "tight"..

As for these days of course it as all changed - the modern big twins are often routinely operating sectors of the sort of length needed to get from the UK to the Falklands, but you need to make sure, as has been stated, that the crew rest has been sorted out...

vascodegama
15th Jun 2020, 07:20
I vaguely remember a small no of 747SPs routing direct to/from the FI (on a contract for an oil exploration co). I am pretty sure that the BA 747s routed via ASI.

BEagle
15th Jun 2020, 10:06
ASI had a higher manning level back then, so would have needed support in any case.

I'm pretty certain that the 747 (including the Virgin Atlantic aircraft) stopped at ASI?

Oh the joys of the Rockape MPA arrival brief: "The Argies might come again! They might come by sea...they might come by air or by.....??"

(Voice from the back) "Train?"

NutLoose
15th Jun 2020, 11:31
Oh the joys of the Rockape MPA arrival brief: "The Argies might come again! They might come by sea...they might come by air or by.....??"

RAF Bruggen Regt Rapier Sqn noticeboard

" Volunteers required for a road convoy to the Falkland Islands. Please add names"

They got quite a list of volunteers lol

salad-dodger
15th Jun 2020, 11:40
RAF Bruggen Regt Rapier Sqn noticeboard

" Volunteers required for a road convoy to the Falkland Islands. Please add names"

They got quite a list of volunteers lol
1. SAC Nutloose

Jhieminga
15th Jun 2020, 13:51
Was the previous record held by a 10 Sqn VC10 and did Geoff Barrell do the AAR brackets for them? He was one of the best at the pilot's sport of Kings.
See here: https://www.vc10.net/Memories/Recordsetting.html
Sqn Ldr Barrell (TTF) was on XR806 for the non-stop flights.

BEagle
15th Jun 2020, 15:25
When we first started receiver training for Sqn captains on 101 Sqn, I made a VHS recording with Geoff of a complete instructional session. The camera was at the LHS pilot's eye position (whilst the trainee ducked out of the way!).

Geoff did the whole thing in 1 take! Even the 'zone of fear'! No editing needed - it was a masterly demonstration of prodding as well as flight instruction.

(Sadly, someone later stole the tape. Probably the same little scrote who stole a processor chip from the sqn computer, a number of memorabilia items from the crew room and the 4 1/144 scale VC10K models we used for teaching on the VC10 Trg Flt. Little sod was eventually caught red handed and I later saw him being driven away in a black Omega between 2 rather large RAFP investigators. I gather he subsequently enjoyed a spell at HM's Essex holiday camp...…)