PDA

View Full Version : Signing a NPPL Microlight rating by experience?

noblues
3rd Jun 2020, 13:08
I'm an FI(A) and have been asked to sign someones NPPL Microlight rating by experience.

I did do a >1hr instructional flight with this person within the past 24 months in a 3 Axis microlight.

He has completed the hours requirements.

I'm I legal to sign off his rating by experience?

Or must it be a BMAA examiner?

Thanks

Whopity
3rd Jun 2020, 14:07
Presumably you are referring to FCL.945 privileges however; they are limited to EASA Class ratings for the SEP and TMG. The Licence must be signed by an appropriately qualified Examiner.

noblues
3rd Jun 2020, 14:16
OK thanks for that Whopity ...

So as an instructor I can't sign any national licences re-validation by experience?

Whopity
3rd Jun 2020, 14:55
The CAA has permitted SEP revalidation by experience to be signed in a UK issued licence by an examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate or a Flight Instructor with the privileges of FCL.945.

Kemble Pitts
3rd Jun 2020, 15:28
Presumably an FI(A) would need to also be authorised as a CAA 'R Examiner' to sign a UK national (non-EASA) licence for revalidation by experience?

Whopity
3rd Jun 2020, 15:52
The R Examiner disappeard some time ago. EASA introduced FCL.945 to allow FIs to revalidate SEP and TMG by experience provided the endorsement is in their licence. Can't find any reference to R Examiners in any current CAA documents. The latest Flight Examiners handbook seems to be missing Suppliment S1 which should refer to Examining for National Licences, Ratings and Authorisations.

Kemble Pitts
3rd Jun 2020, 16:46
Interesting Whopity, thanks. I have been included on a CAA list of R Examiners in my role as an LAA Coach and understood this was to allow me to revalidate national licences.

Are you thinking that an FCL 945 authorisation is good for national licences as well as EASA ones?

[Licencing does seem to be rather more complicated than is absolutely necessary!!]

noblues
3rd Jun 2020, 17:15
Are you thinking that an FCL 945 authorisation is good for national licences as well as EASA ones?

That question is a good one, but finding the answer doesn't seem to be obvious.

I've spent hours of my day searching various publications after I was asked by an NPPL holder to sign his licence for re-validation by experience.

When I started instructing >30yrs ago the licencing rules were so simple .... its now an appalling mish mash of licence types,
Hopefully when we leave EASA things might improve for the better with a simplified system.

Mickey Kaye
3rd Jun 2020, 18:19
"The R Examiner disappeard some time ago"

Actually it hasn't I know someone who got one issued just a few months ago - 3 at the most.

ifitaintboeing
3rd Jun 2020, 21:34
The CAA have previously confirmed that ANO Article 168 renders a UK-issued Flight Instructor certificate with FCL.945 privileges eligible to sign for revalidation of class ratings in national licences for those ratings which they can instruct. Therefore a FI with FCL.945 privileges can sign for class rating revalidation of a microlight class rating where they have conducted the associated training flight and the revalidation requirements are met.

R Examiner authorisations are still issued by the UK CAA and are applicable to national licences. Use of this might be required for cases where instructors have not flown with the pilot or a training flight is not required (5/13). R Examiners hold the appropriate authorisation to sign for revalidation by experience of class ratings in national licences where authorisations typically specify which class ratings the individual can sign for.

ifitaint...

noblues
3rd Jun 2020, 21:45
The CAA have previously confirmed that ANO Article 168 renders a UK-issued Flight Instructor certificate with FCL.945 privileges eligible to sign for revalidation of class ratings in national licences for those ratings which they can instruct. Therefore a FI with FCL.945 privileges can sign for class rating revalidation of a microlight class rating where they have conducted the associated training flight and the revalidation requirements are met.

Thanks for that ifitaintboeing .... much appreciated.

Whopity
4th Jun 2020, 15:29
I looked everywhere for the answer and eventually checked it with the CAA who said it was correct. I suppose it depend which day of the week you ask the question!

Kemble Pitts
4th Jun 2020, 16:30
It really is 'send three and fourpence...' I have a current R Examiner authorisation issued by CAA under the umbrella of the LAA coaching scheme, and I have an FCL.945 authorisation (as I'm sure most instructors do nowadays).

Ifitaint - thanks for your clarification. So, with the R Examiner authorisation I can revalidate a national licence even if I wasn't the instructor who the pilot flew with; is that correct? It sounds reasonable, but that has long-since stopped being a criteria...

ifitaintboeing
4th Jun 2020, 16:48
That's correct, KP. Note that you're signing for revalidation of a class rating within a national licence, as the licence itself is valid for life.

ifitaint...

Mickey Kaye
4th Jun 2020, 17:16
What about an FI without CPL TK?

Would I be correct in thinking that as they have FCL.905 and not FCL.945 privileges they can't sign for say an EASA SEP rating? They could however sign for an SSEA rating on an NPPL and if they had R examiner privileges they could sign an SEP rating on a UK PPL?

Whopity
4th Jun 2020, 18:10
What about an FI without CPL TK?There are a lot of FIs without CPL TK who enjoy grandfather status and have full FI privileges; not to be confused with LAPL FIs who are limited to giving instruction for the LAPL only. As there is nothing to sign in a LAPL they cannot get 945 privileges. However; if they are also a CRI then they can get 945 privileges. Another load of nonsense.

rarelyathome
4th Jun 2020, 21:55
There are a lot of FIs without CPL TK who enjoy grandfather status and have full FI privileges; not to be confused with LAPL FIs who are limited to giving instruction for the LAPL only. As there is nothing to sign in a LAPL they cannot get 945 privileges. However; if they are also a CRI then they can get 945 privileges. Another load of nonsense.

Moreover, the LAPL only FI has done the full course where the CRI has done a 3 hour course that doesn’t even have a set syllabus.

Mickey Kaye
5th Jun 2020, 09:06
Problem. At least one ATO with privileges to instruct for the FI claims that a LAPL FI can sign a SEP rating on an EASA PPL.

Their logic being that the the holder of a PPL without CPL TK who holds an FI rating the Remarks and Restrictions on the Licence states "FCL 905.FI applies as in /(a)/(b)/For LAPL(A) only”

Then the Yellowish sheet - FCL.905.FI - Flight Instructor Privileges and conditions. Quick Reference says

(a) Instruction towards a PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL ....,...
(b) Instruction towards class and type rating for single pilot, single engine aircraft, expect for high performance .......,

Therefore they can teach for and sign for revalidation of SEP ratings

Whopity
5th Jun 2020, 10:40
At least one ATO with privileges to instruct for the FI claims that a LAPL FI can sign a SEP rating on an EASA PPL. To be able to do so the FI must have FCL 945 entered into the licence. If they have that then they can, but as a FI (LAPL) they should not have it and therefore like all other FIs who do not have it in their licence, they are not authorised to sign a licence for revalidation. A 945 sheet here: (https://www.ontrackaviation.com/FCL945.html)

Mickey Kaye
6th Jun 2020, 09:24
Any idea if its possible to add a CRI to an FI rating that was issued some 2 years ago? or do you have to do the full CRI course?

Whopity
6th Jun 2020, 15:10
It should be possible though they have been a bit awkward at times. Most FIC instructors have learned how to be imaginative.