PDA

View Full Version : UK Future Accommodation Model

Ascoteer
3rd Jun 2020, 10:32
Hello all,

For those of you still serving, is it possible to share a rough outline of and figures for the Future Accommodation Model? I notice it's been rolled out at Wittering. It's for the benefit for some of us facing redundancy and are potentially rejoining; FAM was very much 'in draft' when previously in uniform and obviously accom is an important part of service life.

I do appreciate the nostalgic posts in this forum, but if we can maybe avoid the mission creep 'back in my day at Binbrook' replies here it would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

OldnDaft
3rd Jun 2020, 10:40
As I understand it, there are 3 locations which are subject to a 3 year trial of FAM. I do not have knowledge of the rates.

trim it out
3rd Jun 2020, 10:45
Just last night I was looking for more information on it as it may sway some decision points in the next few years for me so will be interested to see how the pilot goes.

Have you seen the Govt website (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-accommodation-model-what-you-need-to-know/what-you-need-to-know-about-fam) on it Ascoteer?

downsizer
3rd Jun 2020, 10:50
I have heard it has tun into problems with HMRC due to BIK rules. But that is only rumour I cannot substantiate that...particularly the mortgage payment element.

Ascoteer
3rd Jun 2020, 11:44
Just last night I was looking for more information on it as it may sway some decision points in the next few years for me so will be interested to see how the pilot goes.

Have you seen the Govt website (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-accommodation-model-what-you-need-to-know/what-you-need-to-know-about-fam) on it Ascoteer?

Thanks for this, it links directly to the JSPs and I've had a dig, but they don't have any indication of proposed rates.

It appears the 'Geographic Payment' will make up the bulk of the allowance if you plan to privately rent. This is linked to eligible children and, obviously, location. It appears at Aldershot the total FAM payment would be £875.15 per month for a family with two children, with this being tax free as agreed with HRMC in 2017. I'd be interested in what they think the rate would be for MOD London or Northolt! Also, seems like the full rollout would not be until 2023.