PDA

View Full Version : ICAO ATPL TO DGCA ATPL

wantobe
29th May 2020, 22:02
Hi

I'm interested in some guidance/info in regards to converting an ICAO CASA Australia/NZ CAA ATPL to an Indian DGCA ATPL. Now online there seems to be a lot of information and schools offering the conversion of a foreign CPL to an Indian DGCA CPL etc. But I am imagine an ICAO ATPL is perhaps different/easier to convert?

Any information regarding the subject from someone who has done this before would be appreciated

Kind regards

BO0M
3rd Jun 2020, 01:41
It's not necessary to convert your CASA or CAANZ licence to a DGCA one.

If you get a job in India the company employing you will put you through the FATA (Foreign Aircrew Temporary Approval) process, this generally involves:
- Ground school for the company
- DGCA medical
- DGCA FATA exam (fun times)
- DGCA interview (which is actually 10-15 minutes of verbal testing on your aircraft an Indian Law etc)

Once issued the FATA it is bound to the licence of origin you applied with (CASA/CAANZ) and you will be required to keep that licence current. If you are operating as a line captain then it's just your licence and IR, TRI/TRE you will also need to keep those current as well (very hard to do with CAANZ).

In my time there I looked at getting the full DGCA ATPL but realised on many levels it was not worth the pain, hassle and time. In fact you'd be better off doing an FAA or EASA licence instead.

Hope it helps.

sotis
16th Nov 2020, 12:24
Good evening to the entire team .
I am also to Join India with EASA ATPL License with Unrestricted Flight Instructor Ratings.
Position is for Line Captain to an airline.
Can you please advice steps to followed in terms of FATA and study materials after the temporary authorization give ?

In terms of documentation : What shall I have with me except Licence Medical and Log Book ? Any copies stamps and so on ?

Appreciate in advance.

Flaperon777
17th Nov 2020, 20:31
When so many experienced Indian captains are sitting home sucking their thumbs why would someone hire an expat in these over supplied glut indian markets 😳.
Just wondering.

sotis
18th Nov 2020, 05:54
When so many experienced Indian captains are sitting home sucking their thumbs why would someone hire an expat in these over supplied glut indian markets 😳.
Just wondering.
Do not be Surprised. It is all about Market and the aircraft currently flying.

Roj approved
19th Nov 2020, 02:00
It's not necessary to convert your CASA or CAANZ licence to a DGCA one.

If you get a job in India the company employing you will put you through the FATA (Foreign Aircrew Temporary Approval) process, this generally involves:
- Ground school for the company
- DGCA medical
- DGCA FATA exam (fun times)
- DGCA interview (which is actually 10-15 minutes of verbal testing on your aircraft an Indian Law etc)

Once issued the FATA it is bound to the licence of origin you applied with (CASA/CAANZ) and you will be required to keep that licence current. If you are operating as a line captain then it's just your licence and IR, TRI/TRE you will also need to keep those current as well (very hard to do with CAANZ).

In my time there I looked at getting the full DGCA ATPL but realised on many levels it was not worth the pain, hassle and time. In fact you'd be better off doing an FAA or EASA licence instead.

Hope it helps.

This is how I remember it from ‘09. The company will “sort” it out with a visit to Delhi and a “cake” for the Director of the DGCA.

How good was the FATA exam?😂😂😂 and the “interview”. Lots of talk about strict compliance with the rules blah blah blah.

If you get over there, have an open mind and embrace India. It is an incredible place, but can be very difficult and frustrating too. Always try to smile, and laugh at the craziness.

pfvspnf
19th Nov 2020, 03:46
Many Indians moving to Africa because they are not happy with DGCA , they are welcome here

Roj approved
19th Nov 2020, 04:28
Also a lot of Indians flying in India on a FATA too. If they learnt to fly overseas, they hold a foreign licence, and it is easier to do the FATA process than convert to a local licence.

In my time in India (‘09), the FATA Indian F/O’s were paid as expats, so to take a command required them to get a DGCA licence and go on “local” terms, which was less than they were getting as an F/O. Not too many takers at that time. There was a push to get rid of the expats, and give the upgrades to the locals, but it was a slow process.

After the Mangalore crash things moved a bit quicker, until the “fake licence” scandal was exposed.

Things have been pretty bad in Indian aviation recently, with the collapse of Jet Airways and others, and due to COVID the Middle East Airlines struggling too. It is no wonder the Indians are looking to Africa for employment.

Some great guys and girls flying in India, but there are also some “average” pilots too, (just like everywhere) and the Safety culture has been exposed a few times as not being as robust as we consider normal else where.

Still one of the funniest places I have every worked, but you need to keep sharp and be very careful of not allowing your personal standards to slip.

Vipul
18th Dec 2020, 04:26
It's now gotten to be a pretty straightforward procedure. You need to register on eGCA and apply for conversion.
​​​​​​First get your FRTOL from DGCA and then you need to pass 2 exams - Regulations and Composite (consists of instruments, met, nav & radio aids + a viva). You need 20 hours flying currency in the last 1 year.

That's about it. It's become pretty streamlined now, with everything on the site

pfvspnf
19th Dec 2020, 06:58
they should start some p2f in India , can bring in some quality people into the market .

Loyalist
23rd Dec 2020, 15:25
If you are applying to SpiceJet you will work your last month there for free and have to buy your own ticket home. The last group of expats had this happen and once you leave you are ignored by SpiceJet and forgotten. Ask about this during the interview. Expect to be lied to.

pilotleo
12th Feb 2021, 15:15
Hi,
i am currently in a similar situation. I have an ICAO ATPL and want to convert to DGCA.
How were you able to do it. In the conversion form it mentions we need 150 hours in past 1 year, but you mentioned 20 hours. Could you please give me more info.
TIA

Jkum
19th Nov 2021, 03:54
Good evening to the entire team .
I am also to Join India with EASA ATPL License with Unrestricted Flight Instructor Ratings.
Position is for Line Captain to an airline.
Can you please advice steps to followed in terms of FATA and study materials after the temporary authorization give ?

In terms of documentation : What shall I have with me except Licence Medical and Log Book ? Any copies stamps and so on ?

Appreciate in advance.
Hi. I just saw you got hired in india in 2020. Congrats and I hope the whole procedure is going well for you. Welcome to India.
I am an Indian national staying in US and working as a PIC for a regional airline and trying to come to india and get hired there on behalf of FAA ATPL via FATA way.
Is there any recommendation where I should try and what's the whole procedure or any agency that helped you.
I really appreciate it if you could help me out with this.
Have a good day.

SVC1972
11th Jan 2023, 03:29
Such a frustrating process. Numerous trips to DGCA and making rules and moving goal posts as you progress.
they seem to blame expats for Licence infringements due to a number of cases of false licenses

esaravanakumar89
6th Jun 2023, 14:55
Hi,

I am in your situation, am Indian national and FAA pilot, currently in H1B, stills finding ways to get a job in US as pilot. Any help to this.

Flaperon777
14th Jun 2023, 00:51
What about the NIW visa. Does that not apply to you Kumar ?

esaravanakumar89
18th Jun 2023, 04:26
I think, we need 10 years of experience in flying. I am a new pilot.