PDA

View Full Version : ELINT notifications (historic, old system)

Jackonicko
27th May 2020, 12:39
Before I am deafened by shouts of ‘Beadwindow’, let me stress that I am asking about the SIGINT classification of an obsolete ENEMY radar, only a handful of examples of which remain operational (both the MiG-23 and the MiG-25 are virtually extinct), and in particular about the type of radar used by the MiG-25PD, a handful of which may remain active in Algeria (c.12), possibly Azerbaijan (up to 20), Libya (1) and Syria (2).

I had thought that I was asking about classification according to an archaic ELINT notification system but I now understand that not to be the case!

When using voice communications (R/T) to report radar activity to non-SIGINT combat units it is normal to use NATO ASCC reporting names for radars, such as ‘Gun Dish’ for the quad AAA fire control radar, ‘Head Net’ for the Early Warning radar found on many older Russian naval vessels or ‘High Lark’ for the radar used by the MiG-23 ‘Flogger-B’. In a SIGINT context these NATO reporting names are used for informing other non-SIGINT tactical players in near real time over voice nets.

However, in addition to having a NATO reporting name, all radars also have an ELINT notation (ELNOT), used by SIGINT operators over intercom and in the reports they sent back to base via HF or SATCOM, but which would be largely meaningless to a friendly fighter pilot.

These usually comprised a letter (A for airborne, B for ground based, or C for ship borne etc) followed by a three digit catalogue number. Thus, for example, the Gundish AAA Radar had the ELINT notation B407, while the ship borne ‘Head Net’ EW radar found on many older Russian naval vessels had the ELINT notation C308.

What I’d like to try and ascertain is the ELINT notification for the MiG-25PD’s ‘High Lark 4’ radar.

'High Lark 4' is more properly known as the RP-25MN Sapfir-25 or N005, and was designed and manufactured by NII Radyostroyenya (NIIR), which subsequently becme part of NPO Phazotron (before separating again as Phasotron-NIIR). It was basically an enlarged and more powerful version of the MiG-23's RP-23.

It had increased ranges of 90 km (detection) and 60 km (tracking). In the look-down/shoot-down mode, the ranges were reduced by 30 percent. The ranges refer to engagements from the target's front hemisphere; in engagements from the rear hemisphere, range was reduced by a further 40 percent. Most importantly, the new radar had additional ECCM capabilities and was integrated with the modernized R-40RD/R-40TD (AA-6 Acrid) air-to-air missiles.

Why do I care? I’d like to add some authenticity to a piece of dialogue.

Wensleydale
27th May 2020, 20:44
It may be old, but is it still classified? Has the information officially been downgraded? Sadly, the powers that be - and RAF Police cpls. don't care about what it is - if it still has the classification on it then it is classified. Slightly different tack: many years ago, I gave a radar lecture on a NATO base. I supplied my own OHP slides, and used a diagram which came from a radar textbook - unfortunately, the same diagram had also been put into a locally produced NATO training document that was classified although that diagram was marked as unclassified within the secret document. An officious Italian ops clerk reported me to the security police because I had not been given clearance to use the diagram by the chap who wrote the training module. Fortunately, the said security policeman actually showed common sense when I also mentioned that the word "the" appeared in NATO classified documents and, being in open source, I didn't need permission to use that either.

salad-dodger
27th May 2020, 21:26
and RAF Police cpls. don't care about what it is. .

Brilliant!