PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL to NZ CPL min experience

SoCalK1W1
27th May 2020, 02:28
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm a Kiwi looking at heading home from the US. I'm planning to convert my fixed-wing FAA CPL to a fixed-wing NZ CPL, and then adding on a NZ CPL helicopter rating. Looking at the Flight Crew Recognition PDF on the aviation.govt.nz site, it's not really clear to me what they mean by 250 hrs of commercial experience.

On page 5 section 5 it reads:

5. In order to be eligible for the examination exemption available under this recognition process for a NZ CPL or ATPL, applicants are required to provide evidence of having completed prescribed levels of commercial experience. Commercial experience is flight experience that has been gained whilst exercising the privileges of the overseas CPL or ATPL. This experience must have been completed subsequent to the issue of the current overseas CPL or ATPL that has been presented for recognition. In addition, such experience must have been gained in countries that come under the jurisdiction of the overseas authority which issued the licence.

On page 7 section 1 it reads:

1. Complete a qualification and experience assessment with Aspeq as detailed on page 2 of this document. As part of this process, applicants will be required to:

· Produce evidence that they have completed at least 250 hours experience as pilot in command on commercial operations, subsequent to the issue of the flight crew licence that has been presented for recognition. Such experience must have been gained in countries which come under the jurisdiction of the overseas authority that issued the licence, and;

· Have completed all the minimum flight experience requirements prescribed for the issue of an NZ CPL as prescribed in AC61-5

The first section sounds like any time I have flown since I passed the CPL check ride would count towards the 250 hours, but the other sections make it sound like it has be Part 135 or 121 time. I have 1,000TT all fixed wing. None of that time was true commercial paid to fly stuff apart from 30-40 odd hours on ferry flight around the US.

Any guidance greatly appreciated! I scoured PPRUNE and other parts of the web without success. I would never have guessed how much lawyering was involved in flying when I started...

KeepItStraight
29th May 2020, 21:17
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm a Kiwi looking at heading home from the US. I'm planning to convert my fixed-wing FAA CPL to a fixed-wing NZ CPL, and then adding on a NZ CPL helicopter rating. Looking at the Flight Crew Recognition PDF on the aviation.govt.nz site, it's not really clear to me what they mean by 250 hrs of commercial experience.

On page 5 section 5 it reads:

5. In order to be eligible for the examination exemption available under this recognition process for a NZ CPL or ATPL, applicants are required to provide evidence of having completed prescribed levels of commercial experience. Commercial experience is flight experience that has been gained whilst exercising the privileges of the overseas CPL or ATPL. This experience must have been completed subsequent to the issue of the current overseas CPL or ATPL that has been presented for recognition. In addition, such experience must have been gained in countries that come under the jurisdiction of the overseas authority which issued the licence.

On page 7 section 1 it reads:

1. Complete a qualification and experience assessment with Aspeq as detailed on page 2 of this document. As part of this process, applicants will be required to:

· Produce evidence that they have completed at least 250 hours experience as pilot in command on commercial operations, subsequent to the issue of the flight crew licence that has been presented for recognition. Such experience must have been gained in countries which come under the jurisdiction of the overseas authority that issued the licence, and;

· Have completed all the minimum flight experience requirements prescribed for the issue of an NZ CPL as prescribed in AC61-5

The first section sounds like any time I have flown since I passed the CPL check ride would count towards the 250 hours, but the other sections make it sound like it has be Part 135 or 121 time. I have 1,000TT all fixed wing. None of that time was true commercial paid to fly stuff apart from 30-40 odd hours on ferry flight around the US.

Any guidance greatly appreciated! I scoured PPRUNE and other parts of the web without success. I would never have guessed how much lawyering was involved in flying when I started...

It's 250 hours on ATO (part 135, 125, 121) operations. Just flying around on a CPL doing flights that can be done on a PPL isn't exercising the privileges of a CPL. It's probable that the ferry flights don't even count as 135, 125, 121 time.

SoCalK1W1
29th May 2020, 23:10
It's 250 hours on ATO (part 135, 125, 121) operations. Just flying around on a CPL doing flights that can be done on a PPL isn't exercising the privileges of a CPL. It's probable that the ferry flights don't even count as 135, 125, 121 time.

Cheers, thanks for the reply.