PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining my PPL, the right way

Ronald Griffin
26th May 2020, 20:50
Hi,

I would appreciate experience, advice, and anything that my be of value in my research. I live in Norway, and want to obtain an EASA PPL. Time is an issue, as life is hectic and summer months are usually the only months where I can truly devote myself to learn new things away from work. During my initial research I have run into a few things which I need to figure out, and I hope to find some insights here on PPRunNe. In Norway, the PPL theory and exam is in Norwegian only. This for me is the first challenge, because I am a native English speaker, and reading all 9 subjects in Norwegian (and taking the exam in Norwegian) might hinder my ability to learn. Especially with such complex subjects. Realising this, I started to look for solutions abroad.

Studying for PPL Theory online, and using online systems like CATS 3.0 WBT (such as fly-in-spain uses) - does this work well? I am a little concerned about trying to understand 90% of the theory without accompanying lessons. I have many years flying in the flight sim, and have always loved to fly, but obviously physics, rules and laws, navigation and all of this will probably need some context.
Can anyone recommend good schools that are able to help with PPL in Europe? Where I can find instructors with experience and where the success rate is high these recent years? Quality is most important for me.
Transitioning back to Norway, and taking more hours with instructors back home to get familiar with airspace, clubs, weather and local knowledge - will training abroad significantly affect airmanship? Does anyone have any experiences with this, for example taking the PPL in Southern Europe, and then using it in the UK? I imagine it would be similar for Norway.
My ideal plan involves 1-2 months of theory study, followed by 1 month or more of time at a school. This would allow me to study while working, and then take time off to completely dedicate myself to flying for a short but intense period. I understand this has pros and cons.
I have joined a gliding club, and will be gliding in Norway as I have received lots of advice over the years that this will make me a better pilot. Is this advisable, could it perhaps help during PPL Theory study?

I appreciate any insights and advice you may give a 24 year old who has finally, after many years of contemplating, decided to go for the PPL.

Pilot DAR
26th May 2020, 22:08
Welcome Ronald,

You'll get lots of good advice coming along shortly. In the mean time, I owe an old friend of mine in Norway, a retired instructor and examiner who lives near Bergen, an email. I'll ask if he has any thoughts for you.

My one piece of advice (which was told to me back in the day) is that your learning and piloting skill and discipline are the objective, the PPL id just a step along the way - it is not the end point. Aim to be an excellent pilot, and along the way, when you are ready, someone will give you a PPL!

MrAverage
27th May 2020, 06:31
Hi Ronald,

You could come to us for the ground exams in the UK (and also the flight training but it doesn't sound as if that's on your option list) but you'd need to have it in writing from the Norwegian CAA that they would accept UK written exams (Some states do not), that is if you decided to do all the other training there.

Your level of airmanship will be affected much more by the club or school you choose than by which country they're in. However, the mere fact you used the word is refreshing in a post from a beginner, but we now also have TEM.

As long as you seek out the "good school", the "Quality" and the "experienced instructors" that you've mentioned you won't go far wrong.

You're asking all the right questions!

PM me if you wish.

Whopity
27th May 2020, 10:07
Look at Aeroclub du Limousin (https://aeroclubdulimousin.wixsite.com/aeroclub-du-limousin) and talk to Roger. Nice aircraft good weather, good wine and done in English.

Ronald Griffin
1st Jun 2020, 12:22
Thanks for all your great input guys. I appreciate it. Since I posted, I have joined a local gliding club and really enjoyed my 2 first flights. I will be flying there regularly to get a better understanding of aerodynamics, and also because gliding seems very fun!

I've had dialogue with a few schools in Europe. My top contender at the moment is European Pilot Academy Malta. Does anyone have any experience with this school? Their approach seems sensible, top-up account, fly based on your skills and complete the PPL not within a "crash-course" time period, but rather at the pace of the student. I can't find much feedback online, so I'd appreciate a second opinion if anyone has heard of this school.

As I mentioned in my original post, I am first and foremost after good instructors and schools that will help me become a safe and sensible pilot.

Whopity I sent Roger an e-mail, but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully he will get in touch.

MrAverage
2nd Jun 2020, 11:50
Ronald

I just compiled a lengthy reply to your PM but prune says your storage is full and would not send it to you. This is not the first time I've had this problem but hey-ho.

If you can't cure that issue with them, please send an email to fly at flyelstree dot com.

Ronald Griffin
2nd Jun 2020, 12:30
Hey!

Thanks, I sent you an email now. Not sure how the inbox thing works entirely.

ronald at storm121 dot com