PDA

View Full Version : Airports and ground ops post-COVID

PilotLZ
25th May 2020, 12:05
Let's share some thoughts about what airports might look like in a post-COVID world.

My guess: manned check-in and baggage drop-off counters will likely become a thing of the past. There will be a massive transition to online check-in only and self-service kiosks for bag drop-off. We'll also see more automated passport gates, automated boarding pass scanning and perhaps more self-service check-out points in airport retail. This is the perfect time for airport operators to cull their labour costs once and forever.

For the few remaining customer-facing roles, open-space workplaces will probably no longer be the norm. As people have come to the realization that someone facing hundreds of different people every day can easily become a superspreader of any infectious disease, not just COVID-19, screens are likely to be installed on all remaining service counters. Booking of services online in advance will be encouraged, just as contactless payment. And paper boarding passes will likely disappear soon, being replaced by mobile QR codes. Full-body scanners at security will probably go big as well as they don't involve the personal contact which physical body search does.

That's what springs to my mind for now. Any further thoughts and ideas?

_aax1
25th May 2020, 13:01
Let's share some thoughts about what airports might look like in a post-COVID world.

My guess: manned check-in and baggage drop-off counters will likely become a thing of the past. There will be a massive transition to online check-in only and self-service kiosks for bag drop-off. We'll also see more automated passport gates, automated boarding pass scanning and perhaps more self-service check-out points in airport retail. This is the perfect time for airport operators to cull their labour costs once and forever.

For the few remaining customer-facing roles, open-space workplaces will probably no longer be the norm. As people have come to the realization that someone facing hundreds of different people every day can easily become a superspreader of any infectious disease, not just COVID-19, screens are likely to be installed on all remaining service counters. Booking of services online in advance will be encouraged, just as contactless payment. And paper boarding passes will likely disappear soon, being replaced by mobile QR codes. Full-body scanners at security will probably go big as well as they don't involve the personal contact which physical body search does.

That's what springs to my mind for now. Any further thoughts and ideas?

Who’s going to pay for it? The airlines won’t, the airports won’t and the ground handlers certainly won’t.

PilotLZ
25th May 2020, 13:31
Isn't installing some self-service equipment cheaper in the long-term run than paying salaries to an army of people every month? I think that the investment will be recovered within months, not years. When the unpopular measures have already been taken with a huge number of check-in jobs having been slashed due to reduced demand for flying, it will be even easier for those businesses to transform in such a way that they will only need a small fraction of their workforce in the future.

SWBKCB
25th May 2020, 14:44
Isn't installing some self-service equipment cheaper in the long-term run than paying salaries to an army of people every month?

Not when you have to employ another army of people to keep all these new touch points virus free?

Jamesair
25th May 2020, 15:57
Very good point SWBKCB

Spanish eyes
25th May 2020, 16:29
Using Luton as an example, lots of words but nothing has changed or will change.

PilotLZ
25th May 2020, 16:30
Probably "Disinfection Officer" will be a new profession - or will disinfection be done by the regular cleaning teams? As for disinfection of self-service devices, those might be constructed in a way minimizing contact. Scanning a QR code from your phone doesn't involve any touch.

esscee
25th May 2020, 16:58
Bound to be some Disinfection "Managers" in some countries. I was at one location about 5 years ago where the one person who cleaned the office lavs' was called the "Toilet Services Manager", laugh I nearly fell over.

Alsacienne
25th May 2020, 17:10
Not all travellers are rich enough or tech savvy to cope with QR codes etc ... not EVERYBODY has a computer at home!! And if you have to do everything on your phone you'll need to keep it charged especially if travelling long haul. Reduce human contact - or dare I say wastage - but do not annihilate it.

LTNman
25th May 2020, 17:20
What’s the point if you then sit in a full aircraft or is it about protecting the ground crew from the passengers while passengers infect passengers.

davidjohnson6
25th May 2020, 17:36
Some of what happens at airports in future will be theatre so as to demonstrate observable intent on behalf of the airport, even if the action is not terribly effective

Donkey497
25th May 2020, 20:07
Self check in and automated baggage drop are fine in principle.... BUT

What happens to your passenger throughput in your terminal devoid of personnel when the darkness hoover (*) goes U/S? and probably ever so slightly more importantly, who does the initial passenger profiling for potential hijackers [I so miss the '70's] or worse' body language?

(*) - other manufacturers of dust removing apparatti exist and are available for your purchase at a retail establishment of your choice.

Hot 'n' High
25th May 2020, 21:17
Bound to be some Disinfection "Managers" in some countries. I was at one location about 5 years ago where the one person who cleaned the office lavs' was called the "Toilet Services Manager", laugh I nearly fell over.

Jest not! Her Majesty paid me handsomely to become an ace toilet cleaner - twice! Once as an Apprentice NCO and then as a baby Horfficer! And I could clean showers too! Multitasking a speciality! Many would say that's all I was ever fit for in 30 years in the Mil! Erm, a point of view I would struggle to argue against! :-(

supermarine
26th May 2020, 16:10
Travel in swimwear and flip flops only to avoid any pat downs in security.