PDA

View Full Version : Alternate planning

PEPTO2000
25th May 2020, 10:01
Hi
Is there anybody who can tell me if the fuel calculation to alternate must be based on a route or if a DCT is sufficient for FAA part 91, 121, 131.

In Europe the regulators wants a route calculated for the alternate fuel calculation and show with routing a waypoints on the Operational Flight Plan. Wondering if the same apply for FAA.

If yes, please if possible link, to where it it writting in the FAR's

Thank you

weasil
25th May 2020, 13:05
From the advisory circular
Alternate Fuel. The fuel necessary to fly from the destination to an alternate airport(s). An alternate may be specified because of regulatory requirements or other operational considerations. The calculation of the alternate fuel amount beqins at the missed approach· point at the destination and includes climb, cruise, descent, approach, and landinq at the alternate airport. The amount of alternate fuel should be based on normal air traffic routinq and procedures, and forecast meteoroloqical conditions. For fliqhts for which an alternate is not specified, the operator should consider the need to provide fuel for a missed approach at the destination.

Edit...
marker inbound is right it looks like this AC was never published. My company ops specs just says the dispatcher must ensure the fuel supply is adequate to fly to the alternate.

PEPTO2000
25th May 2020, 13:26
Thanks a lot. Would it be possible for you to guide me to the advisory circular concerning this? Where can I find this?

MarkerInbound
25th May 2020, 17:45
That looks like text from a proposed AC from a FAA working group in 1991. Did it ever get published? My company’s ops manual says Dispatchers will not use direct from destination to alternate unless it is known ATC will issue a direct clearance but it doesn’t give any reference.

340drvr
26th May 2020, 13:08
Interesting. Right, it does not appear that the AC MarkerInbound mentions was ever published, but it can be hard to search and find specific things in the AC library. The fuel requirements mentioned sound very much like NBAA IFR reserves (not regulatory), you can google that, or search here within PPRune, historically discussed often.