PDA

View Full Version : WMP Library Empty

TURIN
24th May 2020, 14:41
Windows Media Player/Center

Afternoon all.
I have a strange problem which has me stumped.

I have a HTPC running Win 7 and this morning I tried to play some new CDs that I had ripped to it earlier this week.

My entire music library has disappeared from Media Player and Media Center. The files are still there on one of the hard drives, but no matter what I do I can't get Media Player or Center to 'see' the files. It refuses to add them to the library. I've reset the librairies to default and the pathways all look correct but no joy. Its done the same with Video files but not Recorded TV or Photos.

I can play the music files direct from the hard drive using WMP but it just will not update the library.
The cynic in me thinks its MS spoofing my system to get me to upgrade to Win10 but I don't want to do that as I'll lose Media Center which I like...a lot.

Any ideas? Ta.

Ancient Observer
24th May 2020, 15:27
I can't help on the specific question, but I have to say that the loss of media centre when I went to W10 earlier this year was a real pain! So I empathize with your problem!

treadigraph
24th May 2020, 20:48
I've got Windows Media Player running on Windows 10 - think I had to enable it or something and cold shoulder whatever new player they are advocating.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14209

TURIN
24th May 2020, 23:06
It's WMC Media Center not WMP Media Player that has been discontinued.

​​​I believe there is a way to get WMC working on a Win10 system but it's not endorsed by MS and is a bit of a faff.

treadigraph
25th May 2020, 13:57
Ah, apologies, thought it was all the same thing. Never used WMC then.

jimjim1
25th May 2020, 15:41
Ah, apologies, thought it was all the same thing.

The Microsoft Motto - Why use comprehensible names when you can use confusing ones?

hotmail.com, windows live mail, outlook.com - The same thing but sound different.

Skype, Skype for Business - Sound the same but are separate and incompatible.

Tocsin
25th May 2020, 17:08
I don't know if it will help, but there are some WMC-knowledgable folks on another forum - google for: Green Button TV

TURIN
3rd Jun 2020, 15:21
Thanks for the help, I've just found a fix for this.

I had to completely down power the PC though, It wouldn't just restart. Complete power off, plug out of the back, bit like rebooting a Boeing 787.

https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-solve-windows-media-player-media-library-is-corrupted-error/