PDA

View Full Version : E Drops to FL125 on the 21st of May

Capn Bloggs
20th May 2020, 02:07
What were those rules on low FLs not being available on low QNHs? :hmm: :rolleyes::ugh:

CaptainEmad
20th May 2020, 02:21
Not sure what your point is. :confused:
Cruise @ FL125 is not available if Area QNH is below 963hPa?
LL of CTA is not changed. (edit...LL of CTA is not changed by change in QNH)

Lead Balloon
20th May 2020, 02:35
Best to use an umbrella from 21 May to protect against all the raining aluminium, eh Cap’n!

Buttscratcher
20th May 2020, 02:55
Will that be on the exam?

Mr Approach
20th May 2020, 04:00
Raining aluminian, (I know you are jesting LeadB!), but let's put the change in perspective:
On 20th IFR receives traffic information on other IFR and known VFR;
On 21st IFR receives separation from other IFR and traffic on known VFR.
I once watched two PT jets separating themselves south of Ayers Rock, one climbing out, the other inbound on descent. Heaps of traffic information, heaps of pilot-pilot separation, both had to level off until they observed passing on TCAS!
From tomorrow, above FL125 (depends if lower Class E trial still going ahead) ATC will vector for 5NM separation and easily achieve uninterrupted climb/descent for both.

My question is:
Q: Without the pressure to retain Class E below FL180 as exists in the USA, and in Australia VFR aircraft require transponders to fly in Class E, why didn't Airservices request CASA to declare Class C down to FL125?
A: Because transponders can only be detected by Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) which costs money, whereas ADS-B is detected by a unit about the size of a beer fridge, and from space if Airservices will pay for it.
Cynical Conclusion - Once again the federal government (Airservices and CASA) has spotted a way to make themselves look good, and potentially make more money from IFR, without having to spend any money to protect IFR from VFR.

Capn Bloggs
20th May 2020, 05:01
Cruise @ FL125 is not available if Area QNH is below 963hPa?
For those of us who don't like levelling right at the base of CTA, and who like levelling at IFR cruising levels when denied a clearance, FL110 is the next lowest FL tracking east.

I once watched two PT jets separating themselves south of Ayers Rock, one climbing out, the other inbound on descent. Heaps of traffic information, heaps of pilot-pilot separation, both had to level off until they observed passing on TCAS!
From tomorrow, above FL125 (depends if lower Class E trial still going ahead) ATC will vector for 5NM separation and easily achieve uninterrupted climb/descent for both.

Wee! Impressive! A vector approach and departure service in the boonies. I'd like that. How much is that going to cost industry, Australia-wide?

Cynical Conclusion - Once again the federal government (Airservices and CASA) has spotted a way to make themselves look good, and potentially make more money from IFR, without having to spend any money to protect IFR from VFR.
Are you seriously suggesting radar be put in so VFR with their transponders can be separated from IFR? Now that is a good one!

"Potentially" = "I don't really know, but I think that might be the case".

I see the children are back putting in their 2-bob's worth... Kindy out for the afternoon?

non_state_actor
20th May 2020, 05:33
This is going to cause chaos in the Pilbara and jam frequencies even more than they are now. How long until there is a near miss with someone unable to get a clearance buzzing along at 9-10 000'nearly wiping out another aircraft. At least at FL185 there was some room to get up and out of the way.

Bodie1
21st May 2020, 02:45
I see the children are back putting in their 2-bob's worth... Kindy out for the afternoon?

On reading this thread from the start I notice you resorting to this type of reply to reasoned argument. Why is that? Are you unable to articulate a response because you just want things your way or no way? Which sort of points to you perhaps spending some time in the kindy, kind of teach you some behavioural lessons, they're free until September, get in while it lasts.

Bodie1
21st May 2020, 02:46
Hopefully the next amendment will be E Base 8500, then E Base 700, then E Base to the ground.

Capn Bloggs
21st May 2020, 04:53
On reading this thread from the start
Good for you, Bodie. Keep reading what others write and keep reading what I write in reply. You'll soon work it out.

Bodie1
21st May 2020, 05:33
Thought I had worked it out, that's why I made the comment.

Capn Bloggs
22nd May 2020, 09:56
Would have been good if ASA had put on another controller or two so we didn't get held down below E while the controller was talking to others. Nice levelling AT Transition, altimeters, speed, checklists, clearances. Twice out of two attempts! Only going to get better, I suppose... Can't wait 'til it gets to 8500, then 700, then on the ground. If it was made 1200ft, we could just level off at circuit altitude. That'd be fun.

Lead Balloon
22nd May 2020, 10:25
Would have been good if ASA had put on another controller or two so we didn't get held down below E while the controller was talking to others. Nice levelling AT Transition, altimeters, speed, checklists, clearances. Twice out of two attempts! Only going to get better, I suppose... Can't wait 'til it gets to 8500, then 700, then on the ground. If it was made 1200ft, we could just level off at circuit altitude. That'd be fun.If you have any integrity, Bloggs, how can you fly in Class E? How can you possibly expose your passengers to the risk?