PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your service, want to stay, here is your bill.

NutLoose
19th May 2020, 10:16
Want medical treatment, here is another...

Almost smacks of the Gurkha farce we had. Sometimes I dispair at this Country.,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/british-army-veteran-faces-%c2%a327000-nhs-hospital-bill/ar-BB14fK2C

air pig
19th May 2020, 10:46
We should institue the policy as the French do in regard to the Foreign Legion in granting citizenship after 5 years service.. If someone from overseas serves in HM Forces they should at the end of their period of engagement be awared British Citizenship as a token of the countries gratitude for that service, subject to obviously a satisfactory service record.

Brewster Buffalo
19th May 2020, 11:34
We should institue the policy as the French do in regard to the Foreign Legion in granting citizenship after 5 years service.. If someine from overseas serves in HM Forces they should at the end of their period of engagement be awared British Citizenship as a token of the countries gratitude for that service, subject to obviously a satisfactory service record.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A MP should raise this at PMQ's tomorrow...

NutLoose
19th May 2020, 11:35
Totally and utterly agree with you.

Two's in
19th May 2020, 14:16
This is not the normal Government incompetence and recklessness. This is a deliberate and targeted action against an individual who has given more for the UK than most people ever will.

diginagain
19th May 2020, 15:13
Sounds like a good idea to me. A MP should raise this at PMQ's tomorrow...
MinDPV is on the case. I agree that more needs to be done to ensure that, as well as our own people, F&C Service personnel are better-managed through the transition process.

nicolai
19th May 2020, 15:27
It is not targeted only against this individual. It is broadly applied to anyone trying to enter and settle in the UK: all sorts of soldiers, doctors, nurses, firefighters, and others who have served (and may continue to serve) the UK armed forces and public services. Also computer programmer, engineers, plumbers - all sorts of people that contribute to the UK.

The very high fees for entry visas or settlement, further raised by the "NHS Surcharge" (when all these people pay the same taxes for the NHS as a native born Briton, sometimes more), are simply there to keep out any foreigners who are not rich. It doesn't matter how useful you were to H M Government or how useful you are to UK Plc, all that matters is that your wallet is bulging. Got several thousand pounds to spare and all your paperwork exactly in order? You can stay! Been a hundred times more useful to the UK than most of the people who sit on the front benches of the House of Commons but your wallet's a little lean now? Bugger off!

This chap we're talking about couldn't get citizenship because he didn't have thousands of pounds to spare.

It's a Hostile Environment - Hostile to All. Except the rich.

ShyTorque
19th May 2020, 19:25
This is a difficult and sensitive situation and I can see both sides of it. Some years ago I flew for a foreign government in what was known to be a risky environment (to the extent that it proved impossible to obtain life insurance). The deal was that I was entitled to residency and health care during my contract period. After that time all residency and other rights were withdrawn and I was effectively given a month’s notice to leave the country. I did, without complaint.

dagenham
19th May 2020, 20:02
This is a difficult and sensitive situation and I can see both sides of it. Some years ago I flew for a foreign government in what was known to be a risky environment (to the extent that it proved impossible to obtain life insurance). The deal was that I was entitled to residency and health care during my contract period. After that time all residency and other rights were withdrawn and I was effectively given a month’s notice to leave the country. I did, without complaint.

Nicola sturgeon is a tough boss !

ShyTorque
19th May 2020, 20:06
Nicola sturgeon is a tough boss !

I’m sure she is but it was well before her time and over 6,000 miles away from Scotland.

BATCO
19th May 2020, 20:17
We should institue the policy as the French do in regard to the Foreign Legion in granting citizenship after 5 years service.. If someone from overseas serves in HM Forces they should at the end of their period of engagement be awared British Citizenship as a token of the countries gratitude for that service, subject to obviously a satisfactory service record.

Minor correction, citizenship is available to legionnaires after 3 years of service or earlier if wounded in action.

Batco
(formerly of 2REP)

sycamore
19th May 2020, 20:29
Shy, was it a Commonwealth country...?

Union Jack
19th May 2020, 21:25
This is not the normal Government incompetence and recklessness. This is a deliberate and targeted action against an individual who has given more for the UK than most people ever will.
Not to mention being quite extraordinary when it has been widely publicised how many far less entitled patients from outside the UK have been allowed to get away with failing top pay far greater treatment bills, apparently with the tacit approval of some members of the medical profession because they don't consider themselves to be "debt collectors".

Jack

air pig
19th May 2020, 21:58
Batco, thank you for the correction, indebted.

212man
20th May 2020, 08:31
Shy, was it a Commonwealth country...?
My guess is it was a sultanate

sycamore
20th May 2020, 16:42
:ooh:212,yes,thought so ;probably a bit late in life to have a `circumferential `snip`,if you wanted to stay........