PDA

View Full Version : Cessna down near Bendigo, VIC

0ttoL
18th May 2020, 01:21
Channel 7 reporting a plane down in Huntly, near Bendigo

https://7news.com.au/travel/plane-crashes/light-aircraft-crashes-in-victorian-paddock-just-metres-from-homes-c-1043140

Goat Whisperer
18th May 2020, 01:51
Ironic, the media call all sorts of light aircraft Cessnas, and here's a Cessna they're calling a recreational aircraft.

Looks not too bad, hope all ok

Desert Flower
18th May 2020, 05:30
Ironic, the media call all sorts of light aircraft Cessnas, and here's a Cessna they're calling a recreational aircraft.

Looks not too bad, hope all ok

Pilot has minor injuries & has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

DF.

Desert Flower
18th May 2020, 07:41
VH-UVS - C172N.

DF.

machtuk
18th May 2020, 11:29
I hear on the grapevine posdble fuel exhaustion! I hope not! Good to see the driver survived, now the questions!

Ixixly
18th May 2020, 12:41
Well machtuk, as you can clearly see from the prop in the photo the damage indicates that it wasn't spinning at the time so I'd likely say fuel exhaustion, there is also a lack of explosion or fire after the crash which is a pretty clear indication. I'm also fairly certain the Pilot was wearing a white t-shirt which may have caused glare preventing them from seeing the fuel gauge which is obviously the cause of all this. Their shirt also likely stopped them seeing how much fuel they uplifted at the beginning too. If someone can please retrieve the METAR from their point of departure at the time of departure we'll likely see it was CAVOK which meant full sun and therefore full glare, we'll also likely see tropical temperatures which would have precluded the use of a standard navy blue cardigan that would have otherwise prevented this glare, if they'd waited for a colder day this would never have occurred.

Just to be clear I'm not actually having a go at anyone or being in anyway serious I just figured I'd try giving my "professional air crash investigator" opinion for a change :)

Bodie1
18th May 2020, 13:26
Ixixly, is the Cessna f@cked or not?

Desert Flower
18th May 2020, 13:52
Ixixly, is the Cessna f@cked or not?

Nah - it'll buff out! Well someone was going to say it so i just thought I'd get in first!

DF.

knight kevlar
19th May 2020, 01:35
Gold who needs ASTB

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th May 2020, 02:09
Would he have 'flipped' because he landed and ran 'across' the furrows..?

Would it have turned out a lot better had he been able to land, run, 'along' the furrows to the right of the picture....

Hmmm..I wonder if he would have had the 'luxury' of choice?

Just sayin' is all...

Desert Flower
19th May 2020, 03:18
Gold who needs ASTB

Maybe the ATSB? ;-)

DF.

cowl flaps
19th May 2020, 14:49

Would it have turned out a lot better had he been able to land, run, 'along' the furrows to the right of the picture....

That's the first thing I thought,- but without knowing the wind direction and approx. speed,- he may have had no other choice.

Showa Cho
20th May 2020, 01:57
......I'm also fairly certain the Pilot was wearing a white t-shirt which may have caused glare preventing them from seeing the fuel gauge which is obviously the cause of all this. Their shirt also likely stopped them seeing how much fuel they uplifted at the beginning too....

Are you sure it wasn't the cream, the beige, the off white or the ivory maybe?

Ixixly
20th May 2020, 05:24
Are you sure it wasn't the cream, the beige, the off white or the ivory maybe?

Looks like a Training Aircraft, they're still shiny white at that point :P

Ixixly
20th May 2020, 05:26

Hmmm..I wonder if he would have had the 'luxury' of choice?

Just sayin' is all...

They flipped it on purpose because the boss told them "If you're going to crash it, bloody well do it properly, I don't want to repair it!"