PDA

View Full Version : Medical Class 1 - family history

kalapa
15th May 2020, 10:42
Hello guys,
I've been a silent reader on pprune for several years. As I am about to start with my PPL followed by my ATPL soon, I've got my medical check-up scheduled for the coming week.

Now I was wondering how important the family history is to obtain the medical, as you are questioned about it before and during the examination? I'm quite fit (my perception), and my general health is fine (no restrictions in any way). On the other hand, one of my parents can't say the same - high blood pressure, increased intraocular pressure (treated with surgery), and has a stent.
Will those things affect my medical examination in any way? Could it be possible that I'll be denied my Class 1 medical because of my family history? (I'll be attending the medical in Germany if that matters)

Thank you in advance!

Radgirl
15th May 2020, 23:08
The reason for this question is to pick up any inherited diseases that might apply to you. Although some glaucoma and heart disease are hereditary ie put you at increased risk, they are both very common and things that are tested in everyone ie an eye examination and an ECG. So in the UK you wouldnt be asked for any additional tests and it wouldnt be a problem provided you pass the normal tests. However, as we have seen before, some other countries have got strange ideas and go overboard.,so I cant speak for Germany - they might be a bit more rigorous, although I cant believe they would actually deny you a class 1

good luck and let us know if you have issues - we all like to learn

kalapa
16th May 2020, 10:55
The reason for this question is to pick up any inherited diseases that might apply to you. Although some glaucoma and heart disease are hereditary ie put you at increased risk, they are both very common and things that are tested in everyone ie an eye examination and an ECG. So in the UK you wouldnt be asked for any additional tests and it wouldnt be a problem provided you pass the normal tests. However, as we have seen before, some other countries have got strange ideas and go overboard.,so I cant speak for Germany - they might be a bit more rigorous, although I cant believe they would actually deny you a class 1

good luck and let us know if you have issues - we all like to learn

First of all thank you for your reply. I guess I'll have to surprise myself. Hopefully, they won't take this too serious....

If anyone was in the same situation as me, please share if you had any difficulties passing your medical ;)

I'll let you guys know how my examination went.