PDA

View Full Version : Jets at Leuchars ?

Idle Reverse
14th May 2020, 07:46
Just heard from a pal up north, near to Perth, that a singleton or pair of Typhoons “roared out of Leuchars” around midnight last night. I assume they were Lossie based aircraft but does anyone know if there were any jets operating near to / around Leuchars way late last night ? :rolleyes:

Doobry Firkin
14th May 2020, 08:07
QRA has moved down from Lossie while the restructuring work is carried out. The plan is for them to be back at lossie by the end of the year. The rest of them will operate out of kinloss.

NorthSouth
14th May 2020, 08:16
QRA has moved down from Lossie while the restructuring work is carried out. The plan is for them to be back at lossie by the end of the year. The rest of them will operate out of kinloss.They haven’t moved yet. Probably next month. Individual Typhoons seen at Leuchars are just doing PDs from Lossiemouth as normal.

Idle Reverse
14th May 2020, 08:38
Many thanks . . . that explains it all :ok:

ORAC
14th May 2020, 09:57
They haven’t moved yet. Probably next month. Individual Typhoons seen at Leuchars are just doing PDs from Lossiemouth as normal.
Deliberately planned and timed PDs to get the locals used to the sound of freedom again before the move?

pr00ne
14th May 2020, 13:43
Typhoons have been operating in and out of Leuchars for ages, nothing to get folks used to that they have not heard frequently.

matkat
15th May 2020, 11:11
Only in the past week has there been any regular activity I was a bit surprised to hear them last night but they never hung around long. They have been back again this morning (Friday)

Green Flash
15th May 2020, 11:14
I see Tartan has been out on a nearby towline recently, maybe the Typhoons are getting a bit of night currency in before there is no more night for a while?

gamecock
15th May 2020, 15:49
They've been night flying for the last 3 weeks. Back on days now. The Lossiemouth twitter feed is an excellent way to keep up with events up North.

6foottanker
16th May 2020, 19:52
QWIC is on at the moment, so a whole breadth of sorties are being flown.