PDA

View Full Version : Airspeed Oxford

PLovett
14th Aug 2002, 07:26
For reasons which are totally embarrassing, I am interested in obtaining details and pictures of the Oxford.

I understand that they may have been referred to as an "Oxbox" by those learning multi-engine flying. I have seen basic stuff like engine type, numbers, model types etc. What I am interested in is the performance details, flying characteristics, reminiscences, stories etc.

If anyone knows of links to photographs, I would be grateful for those as well.

Who has control?
14th Aug 2002, 10:39
I seem to remember seeing an Oxbox undergoing restoration at the RAF Museum many years ago, you could always try them.

treadigraph
14th Aug 2002, 11:30
I have a feeling that the RAFM Oxford went overseas (Singapore?)

The Imperial War Museum has one in Hangar 1 at Duxford and
Ben Rogers' Duxford Times site has a picture:

http://www.duxford.org/exhibits/19/

Torres
16th Aug 2002, 21:49
There's one (at least I think it's one?), disassembled but in remarkably good condition at our local airport here in central Australia. Seems complete except for outer wing sections. I understand it's for sale.

Was the Oxford also designed by Neville Shute Norway?

Email me if you want pictures or details.

Later ..... Just remembered the aircraft at the local airport is an Anson, not an Oxford.

Torres
16th Aug 2002, 23:17
Later again - and sorry to hijack the thread .... but curiosity got the better of me. I drove out to the airport and took around 20 pictures of the Anson - email me if you want the pictures. The aircraft is in remarkably good condition (very dry part of Australia, it's only rained twice since Christmas!)

The aircraft seems to have a turret hole in the top of the fuselage, although the turret is missing. Engines are seven cylinder radials (Definately not Pratt's - Cheetahs?) with wind up handle start. Both engines turn over. Manual undercarriage? Laminated timber main spars.

I suspect ex RAAF, somehow I doubt it was ever civil registered. I believe records are available.

Anyone know where the data plate may be?

treadigraph
17th Aug 2002, 06:48
Torres,

Yep, the Oxford was designed by Airspeed, of which Nevil Shute Norway was a founder. I think a guy called Tiltman designed the aircraft (basically a military version of their Envoy "airliner" I think) and Norway's involvement would probably have been stressing the aircraft. He was also involved in the design of the R-100 (the one that didn't crash!).

Read his autobirography "Slide Rule" recently - interesting stuff.

Cheers

Treadders

Torres
17th Aug 2002, 13:21
I read Slide Rule a number of years ago. Great book, good read.

Cornish Jack
19th Aug 2002, 12:03
Torres
The 'turret hole' may be for a gun turret but I suspect it is more likely to be for the astrodome - probably removed to do service as a punchbowl. :D
My very first flight was in the Anson - all Avgas and leather smells liberally 'enriched' with the odours of air sickness and Elsan fluid; but this was a gorgeous spring evening tour around East Anglia and was pure magic. Aaahhhhh .... nostalgia isn't what it used to be. ;)
..and Cheetahs they were.
The manual undercarriage brought joy to the engineering manufacturer and big biceps to the unfortunate RHS occupant - 186 turns, for retraction, springs into my failing memory but it could have been more. :(

PLovett
20th Aug 2002, 04:33
Thank you to those who took the time to reply to my request.

Torres
Thank you for the offer, however, it is the Oxford that has sparked my interest. You did have me all excited there for a short time. :eek:

If there is anyone out there in cyber land who does have some information about the flying qualities of the Oxbox, please share them. I, for one, am fascinated with the aircraft.

There is no accounting for taste I suppose. :D