PDA

View Full Version : From airline to bush pilot

bringbackthe80s
8th May 2020, 07:23
Hi all, just interested to get feedbacks from anyone who went (back?) from the airlines to fly as bush pilot.
Even more interested if in Asia/south east Asia.
Is it something doable realistically, and how would one possibly find a job?
Thanks

Dan_Brown
11th May 2020, 16:50
Doable? Yes.

You need to bare in mind, "horses for courses" and "supply and demand".

Geosync
13th May 2020, 01:35
You may need to go there and knock on doors. Prove to them you won’t “jet” back to the airline after COVID. Being pious is a plus, as most of that flying is missionary, and you will be required to spread the good word. FYI a Kodiak just went down into the jungle yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/american-pilot-dies-in-light-plane-crash-in-indonesia/2020/05/12/b05a3a80-9455-11ea-87a3-22d324235636_story.html

I would do it if I were religious and not married.

Dan_Brown
14th May 2020, 19:40
As said above, Africa not too much chance. Apart from MAF, there will be work permit problems. SE Asia, there is Susi Air. However there maybe a long que.

Klimax
15th May 2020, 18:53
Susi Air as mentioned might be one of the more likely options. There's also Coastal Aviation in Tanzania. It may not be easy - but trust me, yes, it's been done before (as per your question).

Trim Stab
3rd Jun 2020, 15:29
Not exactly the same but I went from flying business jets to survey flying and its best move I’ve made. Apart from the flying being way more interesting, I get better paid, far more time at home, no passengers to deal with, no copilot to deal with, less paperwork (virtually none), don’t have to fly somebody else’s time schedule in marginal weather, night etc, and real job satisfaction from completing projects.

733driver
3rd Jun 2020, 19:52
no copilot to deal with

What a strange thing to say....

7AC
4th Jun 2020, 07:50
What's so strange about it ?

733driver
4th Jun 2020, 13:42
What's so strange about it ?

Perhaps it's just me but most times I enjoy the company and support of the copilots I fly with. So I wouldn't consider it a bonus having to fly single pilot. And for the most part I don't consider a copilot "something to deal with". Bad weather, for example. Yes I do have to deal with that occasionally. Or a technical issue. Or sometimes difficult pax. But only very occasionally am I confronted with an F/O who I would consider difficult to get a along or work with.

Trim Stab
4th Jun 2020, 14:51
Perhaps it's just me but most times I enjoy the company and support of the copilots I fly with. So I wouldn't consider it a bonus having to fly single pilot. And for the most part I don't consider a copilot "something to deal with". Bad weather, for example. Yes I do have to deal with that occasionally. Or a technical issue. Or sometimes difficult pax. But only very occasionally am I confronted with an F/O who I would consider difficult to get a along or work with.

You misunderstand me but admittedly I did not make the point clear. I also enjoy flying two crew and sometimes when I am flying single pilot survey ops there are times when a second pilot would be useful. But overall not having to manage a copilot just makes life easy - I fly when it suits me, don’t fly when it doesn’t suit me. It is just another aspect of the freedom of my current job compared to all the restraints and obligations of multi-crew passenger flying in my former job.

EatMyShorts!
4th Jun 2020, 16:15
...but then you haven't worked with the right people who are enjoyable "copilots". They are an asset that will someday save your butt from a fine or from dying. What is so complicated or undesirable about "managing a copilot"?

Trim Stab
4th Jun 2020, 16:55
I’m not trying to start an argument about the merits of multi-crew v single pilot ops. Just pointing out that one of aspects of my current job that I really enjoy is the freedom of flying single-pilot. The thread starter asked for feedback from pilots who have stepped “backwards” from the “conventional” career path so that is what I am giving.

733driver
4th Jun 2020, 17:55
You misunderstand me but admittedly I did not make the point clear. I also enjoy flying two crew and sometimes when I am flying single pilot survey ops there are times when a second pilot would be useful. But overall not having to manage a copilot just makes life easy - I fly when it suits me, don’t fly when it doesn’t suit me. It is just another aspect of the freedom of my current job compared to all the restraints and obligations of multi-crew passenger flying in my former job.

Understood now. Thanks

fisher22
17th Jul 2020, 06:28
I'm also interested in finding a job like this in Southeast Asia, my company is giving out leaves of absence for 1 year and probably longer so looking for other opportunities.
I know that being non religious is probably closing the doors on most of these jobs but anybody know if Susi Air is hiring right now? I saw their website and they're advertising for captains since early 2020 but anyone have any idea if they'll take FOs right now?

EatMyShorts!
17th Jul 2020, 15:55
You better pray for a job there. Literally :)

fisher22
17th Jul 2020, 16:56
You better pray for a job there. Literally :)

Already converting LOL