PDA

View Full Version : Sim scenarios

MD83FO
7th May 2020, 18:12
Does anyone have ideas for simulator scenarios to trigger crew decision making.

ie. WX PBN LVP or small failures

Thank you

sonicbum
8th May 2020, 08:00
Does anyone have ideas for simulator scenarios to trigger crew decision making.

ie. WX PBN LVP or small failures

Thank you

Yep, but a) as an instructor you should be able to come up with something on your own, see how it works and fine tune it for the next guys and b) it's not a good idea to start sharing sim scenario of different airlines on a public forum that are supposed to be intellectual property of the owner.
Just my opinion of course.

compressor stall
8th May 2020, 13:57
Agree with Sonic.

You need to think about scenarios that are line ball. Could go either way. Neither is wrong. Assuming they can fly well, it’s the justification for their decision is what you want in the debrief. “You could also have gone to C instead of B, why did you choose B?

sonicbum
8th May 2020, 14:40
And just to add to my previous post, when You think about a scenario always make sure that it does not look like a typical "sim stuff" scenario, with unrelated failures and weather turning from light winds to tropical storms everywhere and no ILS for 1000 nm. If You are looking for decision making, You want to ensure that the crew always prioritises safety and the commercial aspects are taken into account only if they do not degrade the safety level. Think about what would You debrief a crew that chose to continue to destination after suffering some tech problems leading them to fly a manually flown NPA at wx minimum, for example.

MCDU2
8th May 2020, 22:33
Your in Asia so just go for the standard........ V1 cut and throw in an engine on fire for fun. Then give them a bird strike on the other engine on climb out with compressor stall and no N1. It should be fun to see if they shut off the engine that is on fire or the one that is not generating any thrust. On the climb out make sure that there is an EO SID and throw in lots of distracting ATC and hell why not something in the cabin like a disruptive/sick passenger to keep them amused. Sally might even buzz them to offer a cuppa tea. Then after you clear them for an ILS turn that off on base and instead give them a RNAV/VOR or even NDB if you have one of those. At about 500ft line something else up on the runway and make them go around. Then introduce another failure for the crew to work through which will have them back at direct law (if Airbus). Allow the poor infidels to land now but since they will have loads of spare mental capacity I would suggest a brake failure or a fire on the remaining engine leading to an on ground evacuation.

iggy
9th May 2020, 06:02
Your in Asia so just go for the standard........ V1 cut and throw in an engine on fire for fun. Then give them a bird strike on the other engine on climb out with compressor stall and no N1. It should be fun to see if they shut off the engine that is on fire or the one that is not generating any thrust. On the climb out make sure that there is an EO SID and throw in lots of distracting ATC and hell why not something in the cabin like a disruptive/sick passenger to keep them amused. Sally might even buzz them to offer a cuppa tea. Then after you clear them for an ILS turn that off on base and instead give them a RNAV/VOR or even NDB if you have one of those. At about 500ft line something else up on the runway and make them go around. Then introduce another failure for the crew to work through which will have them back at direct law (if Airbus). Allow the poor infidels to land now but since they will have loads of spare mental capacity I would suggest a brake failure or a fire on the remaining engine leading to an on ground evacuation.

Chip on the shoulder, uh? :p

Nick 1
9th May 2020, 12:34

And then fail them because of taxi speed is two kts higher ...

lomapaseo
9th May 2020, 14:01
I tried some ad-hoc simulator stuff that caught out pilots. But to what purpose? To my own cares it was to design a more tolerant machine, not a smarter pilot.

At the end of the day it was only worthwhile to stick to the basic sessions that qualify average pilots and do a better job at simulating the machine response

sonicbum
9th May 2020, 15:15
I tried some ad-hoc simulator stuff that caught out pilots. But to what purpose? To my own cares it was to design a more tolerant machine, not a smarter pilot.

At the end of the day it was only worthwhile to stick to the basic sessions that qualify average pilots and do a better job at simulating the machine response

It is appropriate to train "black swan events" if it is done properly, i.e. with the purpose of giving the crew the chance to experience something out of the ordinary in a non jeopardy environment and learn from it. If You manage to debrief such a scenario by talking less than 10% of the debriefing allocated time (pure facilitation), then You have probably reached the goal.