PDA

View Full Version : How bad is the cargo backup from China really?

Koan
2nd May 2020, 03:14
Im off for two months minimum but our outfit is flying pax aircraft for cargo on a limited basis.
Mostly NRT to USA. When I saw some of the loads coming back (light) I wondered why we bother?
We do have fresh produce going to Japan this time of year also.
Hardly worth it for a few pallets of strawberries I reckon.

Koan
2nd May 2020, 09:11
Saw this on the internets today. Guess my question is answered.
Rule changes and other factors shippers can't get stuff out of customs.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/exclusive-videos-show-huge-medical-equipment-backlog-china-200430120452426.html

vikingivesterled
14th May 2020, 23:05
It is not only ppe. I have som packages with tracking on the way from China to Ireland. Anything non medical related just get trurned back by security at the airport in China, goes back to the bus station, gets sent to the airport and same again and again. With a 10 day waiting at each step. 3 times now in 3 months, and not going anywhere. 4 other small packages all medical related just goes missing either in China or on destination airports in Europe. Probably stolen because its something covid related you could use at home and people in the system see what it is due to the declaration description. Or sits at airports in Europe for days and weeks awaiting further handling.
Earlier packages often went from China to Europe via Russia. This seems to have stopped completely.
And it is not only Cina. A postcard took nearly 2 months from Ireland to Norway, My easter greeting arrived yesterday. There is obviously no effective alternative organized for post even within Europe when planes have stopped flying.

Not enough airlines in not enough countries have picked up the slack in lack of normal flights. Seen reports that an estimated 40% of all airfreight used to go on passengerflights. And for some countries 100%. Too many in the industry says their is no point because dedicated freighters will pick up the slack. Well they are not. And now we have hundreds of extra freight of PPE needed in addition. Lots more planes should be used for flying freight, and even better if some passengers could be taken but with a reduced number of cabin crew - regulation changes needed. That could give us some sort of a connected planet back. Looking like to many airlines are to busy trying to get money from governments and negotiating delays on their liabilities instead of finding ways of earning some more cash. I have hope the smart ones will adapt when the free money runs out. They will be the worthy survivors.

NoelEvans
16th May 2020, 07:29
... A postcard took nearly 2 months from Ireland to Norway, My easter greeting arrived yesterday. There is obviously no effective alternative organized for post even within Europe when planes have stopped flying.
Not true in all of Europe. See: https://www.ft.com/content/19800d3b-34f1-42f5-be0a-c0b4e0e2afde. I know it is over a month old, but it is still valid. Royal Mail is doing a great job (we received a letter yesterday that had been posted in a tiny hamlet at the other end of the country during the afternoon of the day before). We know (from having received post) that post from Germany to the UK was running well for Easter. Our Post Office will advise on which countries are reliable to post to as post to some countries is taking a long time (there are some countries, not in Europe, that they warn that no post is getting through to at all).