View Full Version : A PPL holder getting an FIR rating

Captain-Ireland
24th Apr 2001, 21:18
Here's someting for you all to chew on. I was reading in Trevor Thom's Vol 2, Aviation Law and Met that a PPL holder can fly for renumeration if he/she holds a flight instructors rating. It also give the requirements for getting that rating i.e. X amount of hours plus a 300nm cross country with more than 2 stops in one day.

Does that mean that some one can become a PPL instructor without actually having a CPL. I didn't think this was possible but the book says otherwise.

Happy Flying
Martin McNally

Trislander
24th Apr 2001, 21:34
I didn't think so either, but it would be really good if you could. Perhaps I could become a Flight instructor sooner than I thought!
Anyone else know anything about this?
Tri

Pielander
24th Apr 2001, 22:04
Was this the JAR approved version of Trevor Thom? They have a very keen eye for closing loopholes, do these European bods.

DB6
24th Apr 2001, 23:05
Nope. It used to be that a PPL holder could instruct without a CPL but NOT for renumeration. Now they can't even do that thanks to JAR, which means that someone wishing to instruct PPLs in the UK must have the same level of theoretical knowledge as a long-haul airline pilot. What a load of *****. That may change with the new NPPL but it hasn't yet.

Captain-Ireland
24th Apr 2001, 23:48
Ok it says on the cover that the book complies with JAR-FCL and UK ANO 2000 Requirements

Ok the book states under the Privlidges Accorded to a Private Pilot that:

"He does not fly and aeroplane for the purpose of public transport or aerial work other than aerial work which consists of:
-the giving of flight instruction, in which case his licence must be endorsed with a Flight Instructor's Rating."

It then goes on to say:
"He is not remunerated for services as a pilot other than, if his licence includes a Flight Instructor's rating or a Restricted Flight Instructor's rating by virtue of which he is entitled to give instruction in flying microlight aircraft or self-launching motor gliders, he may recieve remuneration for instruction in such aircraft."

I cant find the section on the requirements to get the FIR but it was a minimum number of hours flown about 100TT and required that the pilot have flown a cross country over 300nm in one day with two or more stops.

Noggin
25th Apr 2001, 01:52
A PPL holder can obtain a JAR FI(R) rating exactly the same as they could obtain a National AFI rating. No change whatsoever. A PPL holder is required to have demonstrated CPL level knowledge, not the same as that required by an Airline pilot (ATPL level). A FI(R) exercising the privileges of a PPL may not be remunerated, the holder of a PPL and FI(R) rating may operate using a Class 2 Medical Certificate.

TheNavigator
25th Apr 2001, 02:36
From what I understand there is no need to hold a CPL but the pre-requisites are the same as for a CPL. The link below takes you to that information in the JAA website.

http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/toc0574.htm

Hope this helps!

TN