PDA

View Full Version : Eating Irons

strake
13th Aug 2002, 21:25
So, when do we return to common sense and start using Knives and forks again?

On Emirates a few weeks ago...forks and spoons were metal knife was plastic....(Yes I know but let's not discuss nationalities...)

I think a broken glass or bottle could probably cause more damage than a knife....?

GalleyWench
13th Aug 2002, 22:40
Strake, Was the Emirates flight you were on into/out of the UK? If it was they were violating CAA regulations. Other countries ( US included) also use metal cutlery except knife. Although even US carriers must use plastic onto/out of UK. As cabin crew I agree that there can e far more dangerous items than a butter knife. It seems to be a cosmetic law to appease the public while not creating any greater degree of safety. Airlines/agencies seem to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to safety post 9/11.

Rollingthunder
14th Aug 2002, 00:35
Don't need real knives anymore.

Developed a pen sized laser with an inter-cooler turbo that writes upside down. Cuts through anything daring to call itself a steak onboard. Very short range you understand.;)

strake
14th Aug 2002, 08:14
GalleyWench

No, to be fair, the flight was Cyprus to Dubai and then on to Delhi. I have only flown ex-UK-return with BA and they are all "plastic". I know it sounds stupid but it really does make a difference to the meal service...maybe they should serve fish 'n chips out of one of those polystyrene trays....? That would be OK!

strake
14th Aug 2002, 08:17
Rollingthunder

Sounds excellent...trust it has stealth technology as well so no problem at security....? Presume you must also turn it off for landing and take-off.....