PDA

View Full Version : EFB's and kneepad for GA aircraft

Kwod
29th Apr 2020, 05:06
About to upgrade my older iPad mini, and am seeking comments from those that may be using the newest iPad's and appropriate knee boards (to see if any issues).
I note from CASA that 20 cm diagonally is still an 'acceptable' screen for an EFB. The iPad mini 5 is listed as 203 mm diagonally. Also seeking comments re the leather iPad holders and whether the clips damage the iPad at all. Am also considering full size iPad. Thanks in advance.

kaz3g
29th Apr 2020, 09:02
I have one of each but prefer the full size one. Mini is my backup.

ozRunways subscription covers both.

Head..er..wind
29th Apr 2020, 09:26
I have IPad mini 4 and use either the Ram yoke mount or the Sky High knee board. The mini lives in the knee board as its permanent cover for day to day life; for flying I just slip the elastic clip through the back and it’s good to go. And to remove for the Ram mount is a 1 second job. Very happy with it. Oh, and I’m AvPlan all the way; happy with the product and service.

Lead Balloon
29th Apr 2020, 09:50
IPad mini on a Flight Outfitters kneeboard. iPhone is backup. (Occasionally dust off paper charts and carry them ‘just in case’ for ‘big’ trips.)

I love AvPlan. (I have not tried OzRunways but hear very good reports about it too.)

(Where do you mount/fit/stow the full size iPad Kaz? I’ve always found them to be ‘in the way of something’.)

triton140
30th Apr 2020, 03:13
I use the full size iPad on a RAM yoke mount, with a mini as backup (AvPlan on both, also on Android phone as further backup, all on the one subscription) - knee pads never really worked for me. Paper charts in case!

Kwod
30th Apr 2020, 08:29
Thanks to those that responded. Helpful.

st777
3rd May 2020, 08:44
I've never used a kneeboard before, always had a suction or yoke mount for my iPad mini.

Contemplating switching to a kneeboard to declutter the view outside, but interested in PIREPS from those who fly IFR approaches with a kneeboard. Do you find it easy to read the chart while conducting an approach?

Ixixly
3rd May 2020, 13:45
I've never used a kneeboard before, always had a suction or yoke mount for my iPad mini.

Contemplating switching to a kneeboard to declutter the view outside, but interested in PIREPS from those who fly IFR approaches with a kneeboard. Do you find it easy to read the chart while conducting an approach?

Been a few years out of the Air for me but last company SOPs were that the EFB needed to be "Secured" prior to landing which meant on the knee and can't quite remember if this was based on legal requirement or just CASA recommendations on use of EFB but have a feeling it was based on legal requirements.

SoundOfMind
11th Jan 2022, 05:11
You can't legally use the phone as a backup.

www.casa.gov.au/operations-safety-and-travel/safety-advice/electronic-flight-bag/efb-procedures-and-training
You can only use a PDA for calculations. A smartphone is not appropriate or acceptable as either a primary or backup device.

Head..er..wind
13th Jan 2022, 00:44
You can't legally use the phone as a backup.

www.casa.gov.au/operations-safety-and-travel/safety-advice/electronic-flight-bag/efb-procedures-and-training

I know they (CASA reps) say that at the seminars, but does that quote constitute a legal position or a preferred one? Personally I use iPad minis and my iPhone plus is my 3rd backup. I’m curious about the legal stance of the wording appropriate or acceptable.

SoundOfMind
13th Jan 2022, 00:56
Totally agree. When I said "legally", I meant 'CASA legally'! I've never seen a reg that says you can't use a phone as a backup, but then again, the regs are going through much transition at the moment, and CASA's official documentation is certainly lacking when it comes to modern technology usage.

AC 91-17 (replacement for CAAP 233-1) states:
There should be at least one means of access to backup material available to the pilot in command at the time of flight dispatch. This can be either another EFB (it may belong to another member of the crew), or paper charts and documents required for the sector being flown.
Hardly legally binding!