PDA

View Full Version : An interesting (training?) flight CX9407

olegius
27th Apr 2020, 03:01
Are they practicing touch and go in MFM? Cannot add a link as I don't have enough posts (long time lurker) but still curious.

Airbubba
27th Apr 2020, 16:46
Are they practicing touch and go in MFM? Cannot add a link as I don't have enough posts (long time lurker) but still curious.

Sure looks like they are getting some landings in to maintain crew currency. :ok:

From FlightRadar24:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1842x974/cx_1cd9f2108518073dd0050567a67b371f558b4049.jpg

Fly747
28th Apr 2020, 03:26
Base training. Recency is being done in the sim.

MENELAUS
28th Apr 2020, 03:38
Or not. !!

arse
28th Apr 2020, 09:22
I would have thought this crisis would have been the final nail in the coffin for Base Training.

LongTimeInCX
28th Apr 2020, 11:19
I would have thought this crisis would have been the final nail in the coffin for Base Training.
why?
i believe the company are still doing quite a number of command courses this year.
That doesn't sound like a company expecting to end up in a coffin.

mngmt mole
28th Apr 2020, 21:52
Don't doubt CX will survive. It has deep pockets, and if need be, can sell quite a few more aircraft to get through the rest of this year/next. The real question is what will the value of the job of pilot be worth when the management have finished with their "adjustment" ? My suspicion is that they won't lose the opportunity of a corporate lifetime to rejig their entire cost structure. I think the GMA's recent letter gives an indication of where they are heading. We'll find out soon enough....

arse
29th Apr 2020, 00:44
why?
i believe the company are still doing quite a number of command courses this year.
That doesn't sound like a company expecting to end up in a coffin.

Why? Because CX has been talking about getting rid of Base Training for many years. Base Training is considered nothing more than a "jolly"; an ineffective and expensive exuberance!

The coffin reference had nothing to do with the current company challenges. Rather, the outdated Base Training requirement.

As for why CX is continuing training in the current environment, well that is a completely different subject.

BuzzBox
29th Apr 2020, 02:14
Why? Because CX has been talking about getting rid of Base Training for many years. Base Training is considered nothing more than a "jolly"; an ineffective and expensive exuberance!

Try telling that to the HKCAD!

SMOC
30th Apr 2020, 14:23
Exactly, base training, while great fun is simply outdated and CX would have got rid of it years ago if they could. The HKCAD is in the dark ages as expected of a post '97 civil servant operation.

The amount of crew who end up back in the simulator post base training is testimony to the fact that belting around in the sim for what's needed is the way ahead. If that's 100+ circuits then that's that sadly. Base training can't fix it.

cxorcist
30th Apr 2020, 15:29
Exactly, base training, while great fun is simply outdated and CX would have got rid of it years ago if they could. The HKCAD is in the dark ages as expected of a post '97 civil servant operation.

The amount of crew who end up back in the simulator post base training is testimony to the fact that belting around in the sim for what's needed is the way ahead. If that's 100+ circuits then that's that sadly. Base training can't fix it.
Maybe if CX hired and paid for actual pilots with experience, then base training could be done away with. Sadly, we hire cadets who have no business flying widebody airliners.

My base training back in the day was a formality for all five of us, except the one pilot from GA, who was on his second hack at it and still did horrendously awful.