PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent advertisement re Dick Smith and Waleed Aly

Dick Smith
27th Apr 2020, 00:45
Users of this website may note that from time to time an ad comes up suggesting that myself and Waleed Aly support a bitcoin system. This ad is a complete fraud. Waleed and I have no involvement in bitcoin and suggest that people either ignore or report the advertisements to the Police.

It is quite amazing that the operators of this site would allow these advertisements to appear.

ACMS
27th Apr 2020, 01:03
Hi Dick,

not just this site but a lot of other places on the net as well.

Super Cecil
27th Apr 2020, 01:15
Those who have seen your work would know it's not your style Dick, most aren't tempted by clickbait.

Bushfiva
27th Apr 2020, 02:05
It is quite amazing that the operators of this site would allow these advertisements to appear.

They've got little or no control over most of the ads, which are fulfilled by Google Ads and others. And you'll see the alleged Dick Smith ad more than other people because you've got ad personalization enabled at Google, and what could be a better match than showing an alleged Dick Smith ad to Dick Smith? :-)

Senior Pilot
27th Apr 2020, 02:08
Dick Smith , Dick we moderators have raised this on a number of occasions with IB without success.

I’ve moved this from Dunnunda to the appropriate forum.

rodney rude
27th Apr 2020, 02:10
AAAAAwwww - does that mean that the email I got saying my bitcoin account, (which I don't have) has $2360 in it and I need to claim it, is actually not real????????/

Checklist Charlie
27th Apr 2020, 05:58
appropriate forum

I seriously doubt Dunnunda forum readers/posters will bother ever reading this 'appropriate' forum.

My view is that the intent of Dick's post would have a far greater audience than this forum. That audience was the intended target of the adverts that used Dick's and Waleed's names to try and 'sell' their particular product.

Anyway, the distant overseas Moderators know best apparently.

CC

Senior Pilot
27th Apr 2020, 07:06
I seriously doubt Dunnunda forum readers/posters will bother ever reading this 'appropriate' forum.

My view is that the intent of Dick's post would have a far greater audience than this forum. That audience was the intended target of the adverts that used Dick's and Waleed's names to try and 'sell' their particular product.

Anyway, the distant overseas Moderators know best apparently.

CC

Just like you, Dunnunda forum readers can see and follow the redirect and post accordingly. The point of moving to this Forum is to have IB people see the issue as raised by Dick since our moderators pleas have been studiously ignored to date; their (IB) interest in Dunnunda forums is the proverbial square root of.

Distant overseas moderator,

IBobi
28th Apr 2020, 18:33
They've got little or no control over most of the ads, which are fulfilled by Google Ads and others. And you'll see the alleged Dick Smith ad more than other people because you've got ad personalization enabled at Google, and what could be a better match than showing an alleged Dick Smith ad to Dick Smith? :-)
This is correct.

If you screen shot the ad, we can report it. That's about all we can do. We neither select, nor vet, each ad that appears here; they are determined by your browsing history.

nonsense
14th Dec 2020, 13:53
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/dec/14/scam-bitcoin-ads-using-unauthorised-celebrity-images-fool-tens-of-thousands-of-australians

Hydromet
18th Mar 2022, 01:33
In view of the action being taken by the ACCC against Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, I wonder if the hosts of this page is vulnerable, as similar advertisements to those complained about appear regularly on these pages.

The consumer watchdog is suing Facebook’s parent company, Meta, accusing it of failing to take action against scammers on its social media platform.Key points:

The ACCC is alleging Meta promoted targeted "scam ads" that were likely to mislead Australians
It says in one instance a victim lost $650,000 to a scam
This legal action comes after businessman Andrew Forrest launched separate criminal proceedings against Meta

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission alleges the company engaged in false, misleading and deceptive conduct by publishing scam advertisements featuring prominent Australians.

Link to ABC News. (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-18/facebook-instagram-meta-sued-over-fake-ads/100920146)

nonsense
21st Mar 2022, 13:34
Hydromet has beaten me to the punch, but here's another news report about the ACCC pursuing Meta over these scam advertisments:

https://theconversation.com/the-accc-is-suing-meta-for-celebrity-crypto-scam-ads-on-facebook-heres-why-the-tech-giant-could-be-found-liable-179655