PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Cargo / Heavylift GOT-GLA-CMH in 1994-95

OntimeexceptACARS
25th Apr 2020, 23:02
In late 1994 a freight service operated for British Airways Cargo, a service from Gothenburg Sweden to Columbus Ohio, via Glasgow, Scotland. Initially Heavylift Boeing 707 G-HEVY was contracted for flights in December, operating flight BA3595 which originated in Gothenburg in Sweden and departed to Gander or Shannon as BA3597. The westbound flight operated on the 4th, 11th, 18th and 31st, and eastbound on the 6th, 13th and 20th as BA3596/8.

In January 1995 Arrow Air replaced them. operating as APW142 westbound on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and APW143 eastbound on Weddnesdays, Fridays and Sundays. DC8-63F N345JW would manage Columbus non-stop each way, with N441J over 9-10th February.

The services regained British Airways flight numbers from 9th March, until the series ended at the end of the winter schedule. During this short time American International Airways and Air Transport International were both used as subcharterers, using DC-8Fs N813CK, N786AL and N788AL.

My question is simply - does anyone know the freight carried on this unusual route?

OTEA

Double Hydco
28th Apr 2020, 15:22
In late 1994 a freight service operated for British Airways Cargo, a service from Gothenburg Sweden to Columbus Ohio, via Glasgow, Scotland. Initially Heavylift Boeing 707 G-HEVY was contracted for flights in December, operating flight BA3595 which originated in Gothenburg in Sweden and departed to Gander or Shannon as BA3597. The westbound flight operated on the 4th, 11th, 18th and 31st, and eastbound on the 6th, 13th and 20th as BA3596/8.

I worked in the ops department at HLA at this time and remember these flights, but can't remember the freight, sorry. For our purposes it would have probably listed as 'General Cargo', but much of the stuff out of Scandinavia during this period had connections to the mobile telecoms industry. G-HEVY also operated a some flights originating at LGW (I remember the crew staying at the Copthorne) for BA Cargo, but I can't remember if these operated to Columbus or perhaps to TLV?

G-HEVY's last revenue service I think may have been a BA Cargo flight as I remember it being then ferried from LGW-SEN. Our management tried to continue a BA Cargo service to TLV using a Buffalo Airways B707, but soon had traffic rights problems using the US registered aircraft.

DH