PDA

View Full Version : "Mog" Morgan talks Harriers, Sea Harriers and the Falklands

Ewan Whosearmy
25th Apr 2020, 18:59
https://youtu.be/VDLurF-xU38

kintyred
26th Apr 2020, 18:30
A fascinating recollection. I read his book some years ago.....highly recommended too.

India Four Two
26th Apr 2020, 23:51
I started watching and had to stop. The interviewer’s nodding head was driving me crazy. Why on earth do he choose a split-screen format?

I’ll listen to it later without viewing screen.

I’ve also read Mogwi’s book. Very interesting and completely different from Sharkey’s book.

NIREP reader
27th Apr 2020, 07:22
I’ve also read DM’s book and it was a very good read. I also made a 1/24 Airfix Sea Harrier as his cab on the first raid but with all the BDR patches applied.

Ewan Whosearmy
27th Apr 2020, 10:26
I started watching and had to stop. The interviewer’s nodding head was driving me crazy. Why on earth do he choose a split-screen format?

I’ll listen to it later without viewing screen.

I’ve also read Mogwi’s book. Very interesting and completely different from Sharkey’s book.

You can get the podcast version here:

https://10percenttrue.buzzsprout.com/

Ewan Whosearmy
1st May 2020, 07:25
https://youtu.be/fgbmJbd0fnI

Dan Winterland
1st May 2020, 09:58

Very different personalities. And I know which one I would prefer to have a beer with!

kintyred
1st May 2020, 15:41
https://youtu.be/fgbmJbd0fnI

Great stuff! It sounds as though there’ll be another one after this.

Ewan Whosearmy
1st May 2020, 20:30
Great stuff! It sounds as though there’ll be another one after this.

Yeah, one more detailing Mog's kills and the PTSD he suffered for many years after.

ex-fast-jets
1st May 2020, 21:18
PTSD Mog.........

We shared a cabin on/in HERMES and I was unaware of that - plus we met several times after 82 and I was also unaware.

Sorry to have missed it, and hope all is now well for you.

Ewan Whosearmy
15th May 2020, 09:55
https://youtu.be/_rN72kAl-uA

megan
16th May 2020, 03:23
Just watched Dave's part #3, have to ask what's the story behind the RAF wanting to court marshal one of the Falkland pilots? Surely not the old WWII LMF attitude raising its head? I thought we had grown beyond that.

Brewster Buffalo
16th May 2020, 11:05
The other Falklands thread has a link to various diaries of crew members of HMS Brilliant. The 26th May entry by Laon says
....we have intelligence that the surface action group of the Arg Navy are to sail to the Falklands....... we are not nominated as one of the pre-formed action groups against it.
If that had happened would the Harriers be expected to attack these surface ships or would that be left to the RN ships and submarines?
Just started listening to these tapes so don't whether this is covered....

ex-fast-jets
16th May 2020, 20:59
Moggie - just listened to a bit of your videos..........

For historical accuracy - Gordon Batt was on VX-4 at Pt Mugu when I was on VX-5 at China Lake 78-81.

Gordy flew the F-14 on VX-4 - not the A-6.

We (Gordy and I) used to meet occasionally before we finally got together again on HERMES.

Mogwi
17th May 2020, 12:38
Moggie - just listened to a bit of your videos..........

For historical accuracy - Gordon Batt was on VX-4 at Pt Mugu when I was on VX-5 at China Lake 78-81.

Gordy flew the F-14 on VX-4 - not the A-6.

We (Gordy and I) used to meet occasionally before we finally got together again on HERMES.

Thanks Bomber, mists of time! He was a great character and sorely missed.

Mog

cosmiccomet
17th May 2020, 22:31
Hi Sir, I would like to know if there was the moment of the A-.4s interception any Argentine CAP in the area. I have read about a Mirage IIIEA CAP at 35000 ft or higher over the Bluff Cove area.
For the Argentine Radar Control was not easy either, the A-4s at so low altitude were invisible for them too. On the 13th the A-4s received an alert of SH CAP from the Ground Radar Controller at Puerto Argentino/Port Stanley but the respond from the A-4s leader was "you can´t see me...so they can´t either" and press the attack. That was the last A-4s attack over the islands and all of the A-4s could return safe back to the continent some of them with a lot of holes...

Fonsini
18th May 2020, 09:02
I had just turned 18 and was sat safely in college in Cheshire when the Falklands fighting was at its peak. I recall we were like giddy schoolgirls watching the preparations as the Task Force sailed south, none of us imagined for one second that we could have been there ourselves, we were just “kids” after all. When we heard that there were British servicemen who were younger than us who had been killed in the fighting it came as a real shock. The laughing stopped.

I remain forever grateful to Mogwi and all the others who served.

kintyred
18th May 2020, 13:59
All three episodes were well worth listening to. And again, ‘Hostile Skies’ is a great read.

Mog, I’m not so sure that it was your vortices that took the Puma out. I can well imagine that the pilot was pretty scared to see you homing in on him and at such low level may have simply struck the ground trying to evade. There was always much debate in helo crewrooms about the effect of jet wake but I don’t recall there ever being a definitive answer. Have you ever heard anything by way of confirmation?

Haraka
18th May 2020, 17:18
I do recall an incident in Germany in the late 70's when a low pass over a transport helicopter had fatal consequencies.

megan
19th May 2020, 02:28
Instructions given us, Trackers/H-34, was never fly over a "dipping" helo, as the downwash could be enough for the power limited helo to get wet.

kintyred
20th May 2020, 13:34
My only experience of being overflown was by a CH53 on SPTA. He went right over my CH47 by about 50’ when we were both at low level. I certainly knew all about it but I’ve had much worse in the mountains.

BEagle
20th May 2020, 20:36
Dan Winterland wrote: Very different personalities. And I know which one I would prefer to have a beer with!

Well, I enjoyed several beers with Mog at Wildenrath in 1975 - and with Sharkey at Deci ACMI not long after the South Atlantic war. Both very brave and whatever people might think about Sharkey's behaviour in later years, don't forget that fighting the SHAR in that wretched part of the world was no picnic!

Mogwi
21st May 2020, 15:08
All three episodes were well worth listening to. And again, ‘Hostile Skies’ is a great read.

Mog, I’m not so sure that it was your vortices that took the Puma out. I can well imagine that the pilot was pretty scared to see you homing in on him and at such low level may have simply struck the ground trying to evade. There was always much debate in helo crewrooms about the effect of jet wake but I don’t recall there ever being a definitive answer. Have you ever heard anything by way of confirmation?

The pilot reported that he lost control of the aircraft after I passed overhead. He thought that he had had a tail rotor failure and tried to throw it onto the side of the hill. From my inspection of the wreckage, he most certainly did have a tail rotor failure - caused by the tail hitting the ground hard! There was a classic "barley twist' in the t/r drive shaft. I first saw this type of damage at the court martial of a Puma pilot at Odiham in the early 70s. (He got off).

mog

kintyred
21st May 2020, 19:22
The pilot reported that he lost control of the aircraft after I passed overhead. He thought that he had had a tail rotor failure and tried to throw it onto the side of the hill. From my inspection of the wreckage, he most certainly did have a tail rotor failure - caused by the tail hitting the ground hard! There was a classic "barley twist' in the t/r drive shaft. I first saw this type of damage at the court martial of a Puma pilot at Odiham in the early 70s. (He got off).

mog

I can well understand his thoughts. I’ve no doubt your vortices would have made handling the aircraft quite tricky! I’ve always thought that tail rotors are dangerous things!

Islandlad
22nd May 2020, 04:36
I had just turned 18 and was sat safely in college in Cheshire when the Falklands fighting was at its peak. I recall we were like giddy schoolgirls watching the preparations as the Task Force sailed south, none of us imagined for one second that we could have been there ourselves, we were just “kids” after all. When we heard that there were British servicemen who were younger than us who had been killed in the fighting it came as a real shock. The laughing stopped.

I remain forever grateful to Mogwi and all the others who served.
I second that.

Mogwi
22nd May 2020, 11:35
For those of you who have watched part 3 and had a flickering BS caption, I should explain. I said that I entered the final engagement at 760 kts - what I meant was 670 kts. 760 would have been nice but 670 was still 60 kts above VNE!!

Blame the lockdown!

Mog

Fonsini
22nd May 2020, 13:24
For those of you who have watched part 3 and had a flickering BS caption, I should explain. I said that I entered the final engagement at 760 kts - what I meant was 670 kts. 760 would have been nice but 670 was still 60 kts above VNE!!

Blame the lockdown!

Mog

I still prefer your low fuel story - if only because I actually remember the BBC reporting it from the carrier back in ‘82.

kintyred
22nd May 2020, 16:56

Blame the lockdown!

Mog

you must have been pretty much transonic. Were there any changes in handling characteristics that you noticed? (If you weren’t too busy with other priorities!)

Edmund Spencer
25th May 2020, 07:09
you must have been pretty much transonic. Were there any changes in handling characteristics that you noticed? (If you weren’t too busy with other priorities!)
The SHAR seemed to handle pretty well at that speed. The big thing both Mog and I noticed was the vicious snap roll when we fired the AIM9L. As Mog mentioned, quite attention grabbing at that height and speed!

Fonsini
25th May 2020, 08:39
Wasn’t there a stores separation speed limit on the Lima, my foggy memory recalls some type of altitude/speed envelope for firing ?

Marcantilan
3rd Jun 2020, 16:07
Mogwi , maybe this photos rings a bell (or two), taken from Hermes (near Canary Islands) and mentioned the encounter in Hostile Skies.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x720/100060970_275555920238240_3466215053718454272_n_fb3483aeabbd 924ced01c6ff3d7bad3d8bafa00b.jpg
Ka-25 (NATO reporting name Hormone)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x580/101568429_181016393272693_1680771018190225408_n_0ce526d680d2 550b4abc80f3a87e688caa853570.jpg
Soviet cruiser Marshal Timoshenko (Kresta II class)

Regards!

TwoDeadDogs
24th Jun 2020, 00:43
Just finished watching the three videos. Incredible stuff. My cousin was down South on one of the civilian ships and told of seeing the A-4s at close range. A very good friend is an old 1F boy and the names Mr Morgan related are familiar to me from my friend's stories. Thank you for the excellent videos.

tartare
21st Oct 2020, 07:47
I wish someone would make a Falklands film.
So many great stories.
I know Hollywood wouldn't touch it... too controversial...

57mm
21st Oct 2020, 08:38
They already did. Several VHS vids from the 80s whilst based at Stanley were made; maybe some from MPA as well......

Mogwi
21st Oct 2020, 08:54
So many great stories.

Things may be changing; Hostile Skies is about to be published in Argentina!

Mog

West Coast
21st Oct 2020, 14:34
So many great stories.

Too boring. Sheep...farming...fishing...a wee war....sheep...fishing...farming...

Surely the UK has a film industry of some sort that could make a film about the islands.

Saintsman
21st Oct 2020, 15:08
So many great stories.

I'm sure Hollywood would make it so that the Americans won it...

tartare
21st Oct 2020, 22:33
Things may be changing; Hostile Skies is about to be published in Argentina!

Mog

Hopefully Mog.
To be clear - when I said film - I meant a full dramatic production.
It was the first air sea war - very significant.
CGI is now good enough to portray Sea Harriers, Skyhawks and Etendards mixing it up, other battle scenes and how intimidating the South Atlantic weather was.
The script would virtually write itself.
The invasion.
A lash up convoy sent south.
Black Buck.
Air war heats up - Harriers and Mirages - showing the split second decision making and fear of fast jet combat.
The Belgrano - and then the centrepiece - second act - would be the Sheffield sinking.
We cut to Special Forces planning Mikado - see how it might have played out - sequence ends with chopper crew surrendering to Chilean police.
Meanwhile the spooks are buying up all the Exocets, and in Washington, the Americans and Brits are arguing over SIGINT access to US satellites.
Cut back to hot war - Coventry, Argonaut, Antelope.
Third act, San Carlos, the yomp to Goose Green, a horrible overnight fight with no cover and death of H. Jones, Mount Kent, Bluff Cove and the Fall of Stanley.
Black screen - 907 died over 74 days of fighting etc.
We then roll credits with the faces of real veterans - and maybe last of all - Simon Weston - an inspiration.
Bish bash bosh - done.
Maybe we could even sneak in a scene of a young Harrier pilot spotting a Puma - and knocking it out of the sky with jet wash...
BTW - no unintentional offence to anyone intended.
I genuinely think it would make a cracking and highly educational feature film...
Righto - casting call.
Who would play Sharkey Ward... ;)

unmanned_droid
22nd Oct 2020, 02:37
They already did. Several VHS vids from the 80s whilst based at Stanley were made; maybe some from MPA as well......

We bought the F4 VHS's from one Fairford show - mostly set to music by Queen.

tartare
22nd Oct 2020, 03:10
Too boring. ...a wee war.....

Have a read of the list of sorties on 21 May alone in this entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Carlos_(1982)
Far from boring... as I'm sure many of those who were actually there would attest.
If it's too sensitive for the British film industry to do alone - maybe they can get some kiwi help.
They've told quintessentially British stories before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_Days_(2017_film)
I'd be asking these guys to do the CGI: https://www.wetafx.co.nz/
My friend Peter Jackson is a complete aviation nerd - WW1 admittedly, but there you go.

The Oberon
22nd Oct 2020, 06:59
I am about one third of the way through Roland White's "Harrier 809". I just wondered if people like Mogwi received an advance copy and could comment on it's authenticity?
An excellent read so far.

NIREP reader
22nd Oct 2020, 07:09
I am about one third of the way through Roland White's "Harrier 809". I just wondered if people like Mogwi received an advance copy and could comment on it's authenticity?
An excellent read so far.

I’ve just received mine. I hope it’s good and has anybody on here contributed?

ancientaviator62
22nd Oct 2020, 08:59
Only my pic of the RAF and Chilean Hercules side by side on Easter Island.

Mogwi
22nd Oct 2020, 13:05
Hopefully Mog.
To be clear - when I said film - I meant a full dramatic production.
It was the first air sea war - very significant.
CGI is now good enough to portray Sea Harriers, Skyhawks and Etendards mixing it up, other battle scenes and how intimidating the South Atlantic weather was.
The script would virtually write itself.
The invasion.
A lash up convoy sent south.
Black Buck.
Air war heats up - Harriers and Mirages - showing the split second decision making and fear of fast jet combat.
The Belgrano - and then the centrepiece - second act - would be the Sheffield sinking.
We cut to Special Forces planning Mikado - see how it might have played out - sequence ends with chopper crew surrendering to Chilean police.
Meanwhile the spooks are buying up all the Exocets, and in Washington, the Americans and Brits are arguing over SIGINT access to US satellites.
Cut back to hot war - Coventry, Argonaut, Antelope.
Third act, San Carlos, the yomp to Goose Green, a horrible overnight fight with no cover and death of H. Jones, Mount Kent, Bluff Cove and the Fall of Stanley.
Black screen - 907 died over 74 days of fighting etc.
We then roll credits with the faces of real veterans - and maybe last of all - Simon Weston - an inspiration.
Bish bash bosh - done.
Maybe we could even sneak in a scene of a young Harrier pilot spotting a Puma - and knocking it out of the sky with jet wash...
BTW - no unintentional offence to anyone intended.
I genuinely think it would make a cracking and highly educational feature film...
Righto - casting call.
Who would play Sharkey Ward... ;)

Sounds quite exciting when you put it like that! Perhaps CGI could take a few wrinkles off my face and I could play myself. (not with myself before anyone quips!) A few years ago a Puma was carrying out a low-level tactical approach to a certain hilltop airfield in Dorset when I spotted him in my Yak50. One guns pass later, I announced that it was 30 years since I had splashed a Puma - which was greeted by a very confused silence. It was obviously before his time. ☹️

Mog

dagenham
22nd Oct 2020, 13:53
Just finished reading 809 today

it’s broader than a lot of his other books and does give a different perpsectives like Atlantic Conveyor and the Argentinian view to a degree.

The 809 elements are interesting and give an insight that is not covered by Mog, Peter or sharkey. It is more of an a level letts revision guide to the Falklands air war

Really it as boys own feeder if you like read it and then I would read sharkey , then Mog and then Peter. Then you get a nice segway through a series of first person perspectives and each fills in the blanks or gives an interesting perspective to the one prior.

ex-fast-jets
22nd Oct 2020, 16:06
At the risk of being boring............

Jerry Pook and Mark Hare actually straffed and killed a Chinook and Puma in the vicinity of Mt Kent early on - and they haven't made a great fuss of having done so!

pmills575
22nd Oct 2020, 17:10
Just finished it and I found it very interesting especially the effort to get 809 ready for war.

Most of the war chapters were well written and added to the books by Mog and Sharkey, especially the 51 Sqdn and Canberra action.
For me it started to run out of steam about 1/2 to 3/4 way through and some aspects seemed to be skimped.
The RAF Harrier squadron treatment on Hermes, could have told the story, although I accept the the book was Harrier 809.
Enjoyable read and like Rolands's other books well written and engaging.

pm575

blind pew
22nd Oct 2020, 17:47
I failed biggin hill twice but did hamble,BEA and Swissair followed by loss of license, mountain glider flying, aerobatics, comps, instructing and currently jumping off mountains at 71 but a fantastic honest series of interviews. Thank you...ps I avoided the 74 after flying the sim..boring.

Haraka
22nd Oct 2020, 17:48
I noticed he put RAF Wyton as being in Rutland :) Still only about a quarter through.........
Lovely quote at the time,

Q, " Why is it called "FOLKLORE"?

A, " Because that's the way we do things around here "

Lima Juliet
22nd Oct 2020, 18:46
Who would play Sharkey Ward...

How about Stephen Merchant?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x360/image_4e711bbe4120210c75c764e09fea470422f15cb3.jpeg

tartare
22nd Oct 2020, 22:04
Absolutely - that's gold!
He's even got the mad staring eyes.

SLXOwft
23rd Oct 2020, 12:16
At the risk of being boring............

Jerry Pook and Mark Hare actually straffed and killed a Chinook and Puma in the vicinity of Mt Kent early on - and they haven't made a great fuss of having done so!

Though to be fair Jerry Pook does give a fairly detailed account in his book including his missing with CBUs and Mark Hare's continuing the action with CBUs that had failed to drop. Mark Hare's aircraft also took small arms hits. It concludes with the usual frosty reception from LM on Hermes due to a disagreement over the advisability of five passes. They also caused damage to the rotors of the Huey the escaped - it was later repaired.

I would definitely add Jerry Pook's book to dagenham's list for another perspective on flying down among the lead and MANPADS from a ship whose Captain clearly wished they weren't there (As Peter Squire was warned on the day they arrived by Hermes' Commander.)

dagenham
23rd Oct 2020, 12:45
sorry i did mean Jerry's book ... long day and no sleep makes dagenham more barking than usual

Imagegear
23rd Oct 2020, 13:28
While wandering in the ethernet I came across this 70's Harrier GR3 training film.

RAF Harrier Training (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-tLg-9QUQ )

Operating with 1F aircraft on (in) Cannock Chase, this brought bought back memories of a time when we were young.

Apologies if it's done the rounds before. So many faces and characters.

SLXOwft
23rd Oct 2020, 14:00
sorry i did mean Jerry's book ... long day and no sleep makes dagenham more barking than usual

No worries, I assumed you meant the late ACM Squire's The Harrier Goes to War his published version of 1(F)'s Op Corporate Diary. A PDF version of which is available at www.radarmalivinas.ar (http://www.radarmalivinas.ar). This is a direct copy of the version that used to appear on the old official RAF website. (Not entirely clear if this was with permission although it does include a statement that it is Copyright Peter Squire 2004)

Mog - if you aren't cast, how about Dan Stevens?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/222x196/dan_stevens_gertty_images_8ed83def27b6ca442c60122ceabc258bf1 db6e82.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/274x235/mog_28372f55081349e415114b75ebe512f962a01c94.jpg

Haraka
23rd Oct 2020, 15:38
Just finished the "809" book,
A lot of work went in to it, remembering that the events took place nearly half way back to the Battle of Britiain now.
An interesting perspective on, particularly ,Sea Harrier employment aspects with a variety of other operations highlighted.
Recommended.

dead_pan
23rd Oct 2020, 16:17
So many great stories.

Tumbledown and An Ungentlemanly Act were both pretty good. Alas nothing to do with the air war though.

MAINJAFAD
24th Oct 2020, 02:13
Just finished the "809" book,
A lot of work went in to it, remembering that the events took place nearly half way back to the Battle of Britiain now.
An interesting perspective on, particularly ,Sea Harrier employment aspects with a variety of other operations highlighted.
Recommended.

Totally Concur, Definitely going to look up one of the files at the National Archives listed at the back of the book when this Covid cr*p dies down thanks to being a former member of the unit concerned (abet well after the war) plus having worked on the kit a couple of times (S259). Interesting thought about the comments on doing a "pathfinder" Harrier T Mk 4 in the book. Would there have been any issues getting a T Mk 4 aboard the CVS's (can't get them down into the Hanger due to elevators being too short or fuel capacity no where near large enough) and if that wasn't an issue why didn't somebody think of stuffing a Pave Spike and monitor out of a Buccaneer into a T Mk 4 and using it as a daylight only designator (or had that kit not yet been embodied yet?).

Mogwi
24th Oct 2020, 09:14
Totally Concur, Definitely going to look up one of the files at the National Archives listed at the back of the book when this Covid cr*p dies down thanks to being a former member of the unit concerned (abet well after the war) plus having worked on the kit a couple of times (S259). Interesting thought about the comments on doing a "pathfinder" Harrier T Mk 4 in the book. Would there have been any issues getting a T Mk 4 aboard the CVS's (can't get them down into the Hanger due to elevators being too short or fuel capacity no where near large enough) and if that wasn't an issue why didn't somebody think of stuffing a Pave Spike and monitor out of a Buccaneer into a T Mk 4 and using it as a daylight only designator (or had that kit not yet been embodied yet?).

Actually the T4 had the same fuel capacity as the SHAR and GR3. The refuel system, however, would have needed modification as the CVS hoses would not physically fit the T4 because of slight airframe differences. The only way to refuel onboard was to fit the refuel probe and pump the gas in through that!!

Only done once to my knowledge.

On the other point; I believe Leonardo di Caprio modelled himself on my Falklands look!😊

Mog

Marcantilan
24th Oct 2020, 17:53

What file are you looking for? Maybe I can help. Regards,
​​

MAINJAFAD
24th Oct 2020, 20:07
What file are you looking for? Maybe I can help. Regards,
​​

Hi Marcantilan

Air 20/13102 Op Fingent, though there are a few other USST files worth my look at now I know they exist. The unit later became 144 Signals Unit with a Shiny New Plessey AR-3D and a certain TPS-43F. I'm more interested in the other 259's that were deployed (one on Ascension and I'm pretty sure another ended up at Ajax Bay).

MAINJAFAD
24th Oct 2020, 20:45
Actually the T4 had the same fuel capacity as the SHAR and GR3. The refuel system, however, would have needed modification as the CVS hoses would not physically fit the T4 because of slight airframe differences. The only way to refuel onboard was to fit the refuel probe and pump the gas in through that!!

Only done once to my knowledge.

Mog

Thanks Mog, definitely a major operational limitation.

Marcantilan
24th Oct 2020, 22:29
Hi Marcantilan

Air 20/13102 Op Fingent, though there are a few other USST files worth my look at now I know they exist. The unit later became 144 Signals Unit with a Shiny New Plessey AR-3D and a certain TPS-43F. I'm more interested in the other 259's that were deployed (one on Ascension and I'm pretty sure another ended up at Ajax Bay).

This one? I've got it.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/768x341/operacion_fingent_63991066eb52e510aed0678279a0860d1a129952.j pg

In fact, I used it to write something last year in an Argentine newspaper. PM so I could send it to you. Regards! Mariano

MAINJAFAD
24th Oct 2020, 22:56
This one? I've got it.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/768x341/operacion_fingent_63991066eb52e510aed0678279a0860d1a129952.j pg

In fact, I used it to write something last year in an Argentine newspaper. PM so I could send it to you. Regards! Mariano

Mariano that is awesome, PM en route.

BSweeper
30th Oct 2020, 01:08
Hi Mog
I was very interested in your recount of the incident on the Nawhal.
I was an F4 Nav on the first F4 detachment to Stanley in Oct 1982 and was the Sqn. Intelligence Officer. As such I had access to the TS room in BFFI HQ. When they did not want me to know something, they all started to speak to each other in Russian, some of which I understood which shook them somewhat (when they realised eventually). What was amazing to me (and we were a SACLANT assigned Sqn.) was the they did not know (or seem to care) about the F4 radar capability. I eventually visited HMS Yarmouth (I think it was) and talked to the fighter controllers and briefed them on exactly what we could do for them and their radar pickets. They were, amazingly, amazed.
At that time w e were primarily tasked with "presence sorties" designed to show we could operate anywhere but the Argentine AF were denied the 200nm Exclusion Zone (EZ) and we had specific orders to engage them inside it.. So, accordingly, once we got airborne heading West to 30,000ft, we did a full (sanitisation as Sharkey would describe it ) plot of the whole area ,200nm from our position, the maximum range of the F4 pulse radar, which was of course plotted on the picket's Air Ground Environment screens. The pickets were delighted with this info and I am sure it gave them great comfort in their operations.
One day we got airborne and did our usual surveillance. We could see the Polish fishing fleet inside the EZ and the Argentine fishing fleet outside it but I got a single surface contact well clear of all the others, which was exactly on the EZ limit. We were tasked to investigate. Unlike your trips, we had to be singletons in operation so we decided to go in 10,000ft - low enough to be visual but above Manpads. Like you we saw a stern trawler but with clear decks and an array of antennas. We reported and orbited, very wary of it being rabbit bait. I could almost hear the clunk of the communication train to Whitehall and started to understand why we were carrying the SU-23 gun pod (1200 rounds of High Explosive Incendiary ammuniition- at 100 rounds per sec) but was very relieved to be told some 10 minutes later that the Navy would take over. Although if ordered, we would have, in hindsight, I was relieved that we had not travelled 8000nm to take out 5 sailors in the middle of nowhere and not for a particularly good reason (unlike your circumstances).

A story not yet documented but it meant lot to me.

The Sweep

condor17
30th Oct 2020, 09:28
Was witness to Mogwi's gun run on the raiding Puma in Daarset . Stunned silence was certainly the answer , both he and his leader seemed to wobble at the R/t call .
Very effective 'tho , we've not had a Puma visit since , Lynx , Apaches , French Super Puma , etc. But no RAF ones .

rgds condor .

BVRAAM
31st Oct 2020, 21:59
Mog,

Some truly excellent stories!

You're an inspiration to us all.

Thank you for your Service.

wiggy
31st Oct 2020, 22:45
I was an F4 Nav on the first F4 detachment to Stanley in Oct 1984

BSweeper - I take it that's a typo and you mean 1982...

ATB

BSweeper
1st Nov 2020, 00:10
Sorry yes. Now corrected. Thanks for letting me know

The Sweep